Dustin Byfuglien/chi blackhawks/roseau rams

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

eyeinthesky

Dustin Byfuglien/chi blackhawks/roseau rams

Post by eyeinthesky »

I saw that Roseau native Dustin Byfuglien had a hat trick as a D the other day.

I can't recall this young fellow playing for the Rams or even being mentioned at all recently. Was he a stand out while playing for the Rams? Did he somehow slip through the cracks and make it to the NHL because of work-ethic?

Just looking for some insight on him, its not to often you "DON'T" hear of a MN guy before he gets to the NHL Thanks!
THE EYE IN THE SKY DONT LIE THATS FO SHO
O-townClown

my guess

Post by O-townClown »

Hockey DB shows he was playing in the Western by age 17 or 18. As a result he couldn't play NCAA hockey.

I keep thinking the name sounds familiar so I wonder if a dad or uncle would have played back when the Brotens were on Roseau.

Another Byfuglien is playing in Pensacola with two more people born in Roseau in the ECHL.
hockeyman16

Post by hockeyman16 »

That other byfuglien is Derrick......he recently was traded to some virginia team.
hockeyman16

Post by hockeyman16 »

And yes Dustins uncle Dean played at about the same time the Brotens did.
goalieguy1

Post by goalieguy1 »

Eyeinthesky - Here's a link to a story the Strib did about a year ago on Byfuglien:

http://www.startribune.com/1330/story/948533.html

He never played varsity for Roseau, and left school early to go play midgets. Pretty good story, and he really pulled himself up from a tough situation.
Dexter Morgan

Post by Dexter Morgan »

Every 5 years Roseau gathers it's alumni to play a game.

You won't see Dustin on the ice in a Roseau reunion game. He left school early to play major junior. They have strict rules on that game. Even though they claim him as alumni on the website. (JV games) You must play all the way through your senior year to qualify. This was set in place to deture kids from leaving early. I was wondering what some of the others think about a rule like this for your team? It's sad to see an NHLer sitting along the glass as Division 3 and junior B players are skating in a spot he should have. As good as Roseau's program is. They can be pretty greedy about the Rams and future stars. Wonder what they will do with Aaron Ness?
CarGuy

Post by CarGuy »

Dexter....Ness is graduating a Ram....hard to say you are leacing early when academically he is a senior...he will befinishinghis highschoo career with roseau..he didnt go and play juniors...to me he should be commended for what he is doing....not only a great athlete, but pretty impressive as a student showing his level of maturity.
jackstraw

sad?

Post by jackstraw »

If seeing an NHL'er watching an alumni game from the glass makes one sad, stay away from "World News Tonight".
oldram

Dustin Byfuglien

Post by oldram »

Dustin is getting a lot of good advice from people who know the ins and outs of the pro game. His mother's significant other is a former pro. He's done very well for himself.

You had to graduate to play in the alumni games? There are people in the pictures from the first alumni games who never even played hockey for RHS.
Dexter Morgan

Post by Dexter Morgan »

Everyone from Roseau gets so defensive. So Ness should be considered for Mr. Hockey then. I mean this is his junior/senior year. By roseau rules. He is leaving early. Bailing out on the Rams a year early. Regardless of academics. That's how it has been. That's how it's always going to be. He will be sitting right besides Dustin in a couple of years.
BERG RENOLZ

Post by BERG RENOLZ »

Dustin and Ness are two totally different situations. Dustin left because if he would've stayed he probably wouldn't have played anyway. I think he really struggled in the classroom. To be eligible in Canada all you have to do is use the word eh' in every sentence. :lol: Ness is graduating as a Ram because he's taking two years worth of classes to do it. From those reasons i think it's tough to compare the two. I have a feeling that even though they're both leaving or left early for different reasons, they'll both benefit highly from it. We already see that with Dustin. Not that Roseau isn't a great place to hone your skills, but these two are both so gifted and so young, it's best for both of their futures. IMO. I've known Dustin since i was a kid and he's definitely starting to mature into a man and is a great guy. I don't know Ness at all, but all i hear is great things about the kid. I look forward to watching both of these guys for many more years.

As far as the alumni game in Roseau, Ness will most likely play in it. He won a state title (maybe two, but we'll see) and is graduating as a Ram. The rule is what it is...Dustin is a Roseau native and is home every summer, but he didn't graduate as a Ram. Didn't even wear the varsity uniform. I don't think he'll lose any sleep over it, no one blames him for what he did and I think the whole Roseau community supports Dustin. It's just a rule that Billy prolly made up, not that big of a deal.
Dexter Morgan

Post by Dexter Morgan »

Everyone knows when it comes to "Billy's" rules the come from an empty bottle of Crown Royal at the legion. What does the from runner up for town mayor always say? 51 paces to the legion from the plexy glass. Regaurdless of what it is. It's only a reunion game. Not that big of deal. Except for those who's glory years were in high school. It's a real big deal to them. Roseau is full of them. Just telling it like it is. If your not from Roseau you won't understand.
watchdog

Post by watchdog »

you guys are crazy!!! Byfuglien by rights shouldnt be aloud in the alumni games he never played varsity hockey in roseau. however i sat in the stands an watched him play in the game.... so he already has played in the alumni game..
BERG RENOLZ

Post by BERG RENOLZ »

"Glory Days" is always playing loud at the legion! If a reunion game is a really big deal to someone, they probably weren't that good and need to move on with their lives. I think the majority of the guys view it as a time to catch up with old teammates and get crazy. Everyone in Roseau wants to win when they step on the ice, but the reunion game is for fun, it's not that serious. I think most guys view it as an excuse to get away from the old lady and have fun with their old buddies for a weekend.
Lordosis

Post by Lordosis »

watchdog wrote:you guys are crazy!!! Byfuglien by rights shouldnt be aloud in the alumni games he never played varsity hockey in roseau. however i sat in the stands an watched him play in the game.... so he already has played in the alumni game..
Maybe the class games, but I am pretty sure he didn't play in the "Main Event". The rule is pretty rediculous, and I think Dexter has summed it up pretty good.

As of the state tourney last year Ness was supposed to graduate in 09. I would say that by the standards some have set for the alumni game, he will indeed be watching with Dustin. If he qualifies for Mr. Hockey and gets senior status, then no harm no foul.

I am very proud of what Ness is doing Acedemically and on the Ice. The alumni rule should be ancient history to allow the best players on the ice regardless if they graduated in Roseau or not.

Do the countless hours of playing and practicing from mites to bantams only mean something if the kid stays through graduation? It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
watchdog

Post by watchdog »

i think if you play one shift of varsity you should qualifie but what do i know..
kvats12

Post by kvats12 »

Who cares about the reunion game anyway if he's in the NHL. Seriously you're all arguing about something that probably doesn't matter to him right now anyway. So maybe dustin wasn't born in roseau, oh well. And so what if he didn't graduate in roseau, oh well. He grew up on their ice sheets and played all the way up until he realized he had better chances moving on. Anybody in Roseau who has common sense and respects the game will admit he made the best choice. Also, i played on the same team as him, and he definately wasn't going to hone his skills here at that time. Maybe 6 years later, but not then.

oh yeah, Josh olson wasn't born in Roseau either but he played here..does that mean we can't claim him either?!?! :? LOL

Keep it up bubby!
Lordosis

Post by Lordosis »

[quote="kvats12"]Who cares about the reunion game anyway if he's in the NHL. Seriously you're all arguing about something that probably doesn't matter to him right now anyway. quote]

I know that Dustin and the others that left early could care less about the reunion game. Keith, next time there is a reunion game, go grab a beer with the fellas in the locker room or leigon and you will understand the politics of the game of who can and can't play. I gaurantee the topic will be addressed at some point.
kvats12

Post by kvats12 »

Dustin made the right choice for himself regardless of the "politics". And when i meant who cares, i meant dustin probably doesn't regret making his choice. And if you agree with me why do you accuse me of not understanding the politics, i didn't even argue against them?? I'm commenting on why people think roseau can't claim him as a roseau native.
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

The Roseau Hockey Reunion is an event that all former Roseau Ram players, coaches and cheer leaders are invited to. Extra invites are sent out to people who are considered friends of Roseau Hockey. Everone who is invited can play in the class challenge games that run throughout the day. The main event event or Classic game on Saturday night is made up of the best active Ram Alumni. The criteria for picking the team has evolved since the first reunion in 1985 but one thing has remained a constant, the participants agree the Roseau Hockey Program is more important than the individual. Dustin Byfuglien will be playing in 2010. If Aaron Ness graduates early from Roseau, he will be playing in 2010. If anyone is mad about being left out of a previous Classic Game they probably think more highly of themselves than the program. Since I decide, these are facts.

Back to Dustin. He has been a great supporter of Roseau Hockey and the fundraisers that support it. He was left out of the 2005 Classic game, but he did play in his class challenge games. He offered support to the reunion then and anything we need in the future.
Lordosis

Post by Lordosis »

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote: The criteria for picking the team has evolved since the first reunion in 1985 but one thing has remained a constant, the participants agree the Roseau Hockey Program is more important than the individual. Dustin Byfuglien will be playing in 2010. If Aaron Ness graduates early from Roseau, he will be playing in 2010.
Is the Roseau hockey program only referring to the High School team? The players that left early, grew up in the program. They made their respective teams better and those around them better since day 1 of their presence. I guess their hard work the previous years within the program isn't taken into consideration when deciding who can play in the Classic Game.

Of course everyone in Roseau County would like to come see Dustin play during the alumni game. I'm curious as to why he can play in 2010, but not in 2005? IF the others who left early fall into the criteria of being selected, would they be allowed for 2010 game?
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Lordosis wrote:
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote: The criteria for picking the team has evolved since the first reunion in 1985 but one thing has remained a constant, the participants agree the Roseau Hockey Program is more important than the individual. Dustin Byfuglien will be playing in 2010. If Aaron Ness graduates early from Roseau, he will be playing in 2010.
Is the Roseau hockey program only referring to the High School team? The players that left early, grew up in the program. They made their respective teams better and those around them better since day 1 of their presence. I guess their hard work the previous years within the program isn't taken into consideration when deciding who can play in the Classic Game.

Of course everyone in Roseau County would like to come see Dustin play during the alumni game. I'm curious as to why he can play in 2010, but not in 2005? IF the others who left early fall into the criteria of being selected, would they be allowed for 2010 game?
Each individual is chosen on a case by case basis by the committee. If you would like a say in this, private message me and I'll tell you when the committe meetings are; or you can whine about somebody not playing in the game here on the message board.
Dexter Morgan

Post by Dexter Morgan »

Ah yes the mysterious committe. They have been so wise over the past years. They have always stuck by thier guns. RULES are RULES. Leave early and you will suffer. It detures players from leaving early. Roseau hates change. In 2010 Buffy and Ness will be walking around doing the 50/50 draw. Who cares it's just an alumni game. Just tell that to someone from Roseau.

Last alumni game saw Eric martinson stone Luke erickson and Billy Lund about 3 times each. Getting the win over Jake brandt. While Phil larson took 3 diving penalties. Roseau won 7 to 5. What other highlights stick out in your mind?
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Dexter Morgan wrote:Ah yes the mysterious committe. They have been so wise over the past years. They have always stuck by thier guns. RULES are RULES. Leave early and you will suffer. It detures players from leaving early. Roseau hates change. In 2010 Buffy and Ness will be walking around doing the 50/50 draw. Who cares it's just an alumni game. Just tell that to someone from Roseau.

Last alumni game saw Eric martinson stone Luke erickson and Billy Lund about 3 times each. Getting the win over Jake brandt. While Phil larson took 3 diving penalties. Roseau won 7 to 5. What other highlights stick out in your mind?
Obviously you care or you wouldn't have responded. The highlight that sticks out in my mind is we raised a lot of money and have upgraded the North Rink quite nicely. Their is no mystery to the committee, it's made up of people who donate their time. The meetings are open to anyone who wants to help and have a say. Maybe you want to sell those 50/50 tickets because Buffy and Ness will be busy.
P.S. Its deters not detures.
goalieguy1

Post by goalieguy1 »

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:
Dexter Morgan wrote:P.S. Its deters not detures.
And it's "it's" not "its."