virginia vs. grand rapids

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:39 pm

PASTRAPIDSFAN wrote:Thanks ,I thought you left us there for a minute
Good god man, its boblee! Where would he go? :lol:

boblee

post 8749

Post by boblee » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:42 pm

Rapids 3-1 after two.

at 15:57 of 2nd-Prokop (Kosak)
at 16:30 of 2nd-Sparen (Roy, Kosak)

boblee

post 8751

Post by boblee » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:05 pm

Skrbec scores first career goal (Sparen, Roy)

Rapids leads 4-1

PASTRAPIDSFAN

Re: post 8751

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:23 pm

boblee wrote:Skrbec scores first career goal (Sparen, Roy)

Rapids leads 4-1
Final score

boblee

post 8752

Post by boblee » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:25 pm

Grand Rapids 5
Virginia 2

Final

time to update the website

Mnsportsguy1976

Post by Mnsportsguy1976 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:31 pm

thank god they figured out how to score,who played in net for GR and how did he look if someone was there

boblee

post 8753

Post by boblee » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:49 pm

Mnsportsguy1976 wrote:thank god they figured out how to score,who played in net for GR and how did he look if someone was there
Kyle Figgins was in goal. Word is he looked very sharp.

PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:31 pm

I was at this one tonight, Figgins looked VERY solid. He was tested more than a few times and made some nice saves and didn't give up a lot of rebounds. The goals that went in were a five-holer that barely made it through (he got most of it) and a sniper shot into the upper corner on a breakaway in the last minute of what was a 5-1 game. Rapids wore Virginia down, and Virginia definitely missed the services of Troy Grivette on Defense. The youngster who took his spot had problems moving the puck against the speed and tenacioty Grand Rapids' forecheck.

On another note, is it just me, or are there an ungodly amount of penalties being called this year? I've seen 6 or 7 games now, and heard reports on others, and they have all been just flooded with penalties - this game included. I sometimes wonder if the officials were given the girls hockey rulebook. :shock: :lol:

Grand Rapids dominated Virginia for the last half of the second and most of third. Virginia looked tired and their powerplay was, well... for lack of a better word... attrocious. Grand Rapids wasn't the greatest, but at least they could get into the Virginia zone on their's.

I think the final score was indicative of the play tonight. Big win for Rapids in the IRC title hunt. As usual, with a 4 point loss, this pretty much puts Virginia out of the hunt already.

boblee

post 8756

Post by boblee » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:36 am

Grand Rapids did lose a four-pointer in Virginia two years ago and still won a share of the conference.

Pictures from this game are now up at grhshockey.com

northwoods oldtimer

Underwood

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:55 pm

Question for you boblee. I thought AJ Underwood was going to be the starter for the t-hawks. What happened to his status and has he struggled to get bumped to the number 3 spot.

boblee

post 8761

Post by boblee » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:21 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Question for you boblee. I thought AJ Underwood was going to be the starter for the t-hawks. What happened to his status and has he struggled to get bumped to the number 3 spot.
I never once thought that, however. Tabaka and Figgins are both seniors and both came up through the Rapids program and both have looked good. I don't know that there has been much disrecency at all between the three. I am assuming coach LaRoque is going to look at all three extensively. After scrimmages I thought it went Tabaka-Underwood-Figgins 1-2-3, but all very close. I am guessing Figgins or Tabaka against Greenway and then Underwood will get his first chance in Brainerd.

PuckTime

Re: post 8761

Post by PuckTime » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:40 pm

boblee wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:Question for you boblee. I thought AJ Underwood was going to be the starter for the t-hawks. What happened to his status and has he struggled to get bumped to the number 3 spot.
I never once thought that, however. Tabaka and Figgins are both seniors and both came up through the Rapids program and both have looked good. I don't know that there has been much disrecency at all between the three. I am assuming coach LaRoque is going to look at all three extensively. After scrimmages I thought it went Tabaka-Underwood-Figgins 1-2-3, but all very close. I am guessing Figgins or Tabaka against Greenway and then Underwood will get his first chance in Brainerd.
Underwood played JV in GR's game against Forest Lake and I personally thought he struggled in that one. That was a surprise after he'd looked pretty strong during the scrimmages.

eastranger19

Post by eastranger19 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:07 pm

I would'nt worry about underwood unless your battling him for the job, he is one of the nicest kids and one of the hardest workers I have played with, he usually plays his best against the best, Edina's, H.M., B.S.M., (Grand Rapids, but not anymore) Very dedicated, Seen him at UMD working out early mornings this summer. I'am sure the Grand Rapids coaches know what there doing and how they plan on using him. There not always there at the end by accident.

GR3343

Post by GR3343 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:20 pm

I thought GR survived this one. Although they dominated late in the second and for most of the third, there are still concerns. Once again, goaltending was one of the strengths. Defensively, outside of Rendle, Kosak & Bishop, they've been suspect at best. GR is definitely going to have to improve in their own end if they expect to compete with Edina, E.P. and Elk River in a couple of weeks. All that said, there's time to fix what's broke. I'm hoping the players respond.

newsguy35

Post by newsguy35 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:20 pm

PuckRanger wrote:I was at this one tonight, Figgins looked VERY solid. He was tested more than a few times and made some nice saves and didn't give up a lot of rebounds. The goals that went in were a five-holer that barely made it through (he got most of it) and a sniper shot into the upper corner on a breakaway in the last minute of what was a 5-1 game. Rapids wore Virginia down, and Virginia definitely missed the services of Troy Grivette on Defense. The youngster who took his spot had problems moving the puck against the speed and tenacioty Grand Rapids' forecheck.

On another note, is it just me, or are there an ungodly amount of penalties being called this year? I've seen 6 or 7 games now, and heard reports on others, and they have all been just flooded with penalties - this game included. I sometimes wonder if the officials were given the girls hockey rulebook. :shock: :lol:

Grand Rapids dominated Virginia for the last half of the second and most of third. Virginia looked tired and their powerplay was, well... for lack of a better word... attrocious. Grand Rapids wasn't the greatest, but at least they could get into the Virginia zone on their's.

I think the final score was indicative of the play tonight. Big win for Rapids in the IRC title hunt. As usual, with a 4 point loss, this pretty much puts Virginia out of the hunt already.

I agree fully on your penalty outlook thus far. There have been a ton of penalties so far in every game I have watched and it really is ruining the flow of the games. If they continue to go down this road I am afraid we should just blow the whistle every 2 minutes and change players and teams from PK to PP... Sorta like they do in Mites...