Edina Varsity tryouts linked to Jr Gold/U16??

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockey4me

Edina Varsity tryouts linked to Jr Gold/U16??

Post by hockey4me »

Does anyone know if it's true that in Edina, in order to be placed on a Jr Gold A or B team as a sr. or jr., you have to be at the Varsity tryout? If so, this seems to be the best kept secret in Edina and maybe other districts. Sounds like they had so many kids tryout for Varsity that there were around 87 kids left over. Kids who went to the Varsity tryout and got cut were given priority and placed on higher level teams over better kids who didn't go because they knew they'd get cut. Jr. Gold coaches on the ice at Varsity tyrouts is what's happening. Does this happen in all districts? I say if this is the case you'd all better show up at that varsity tryout and make em cut ya.
STEV16

Post by STEV16 »

hmm sounds a little sketchy to me.... doubt it.

Nice first post.
Dominator55

Post by Dominator55 »

This is all true. It is really sad. What about the kids that go to private schools, but decide to play Junior Gold in their hometown of Edina? they don't get a fair chance. Alot of people got ripped off this year in that association. Seniors were being totally cut from hockey all together. A fair amount of people have gone to the board an complained. The tryout system there needs to be revamped.
lampthelight

Post by lampthelight »

Sounds like it's sour grapes to me. I think the tryout system seems to be working pretty well to me. At least at the varsity level... last time i checked they were pretty good. Seniors get cut from hockey across the state if underclassmen are better than them, or even if they are the same, it's part of life.
When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too
atomK

Post by atomK »

The question wasn't about how the high school tryouts turned out, but how kids were advantaged for Jr Gold by going to the HS tryouts and being cut. Ther was misrepresentation by the program about Jr Gold tryouts since it was 90% decided before the tryouts ever happened. Much better communication is needed about what "counts" towards tryouts. There were a lot of kids involved and the outcomes were very controversial.
skatehardordie

Re: Edina Varsity tryouts linked to Jr Gold/U16??

Post by skatehardordie »

hockey4me wrote:Does anyone know if it's true that in Edina, in order to be placed on a Jr Gold A or B team as a sr. or jr., you have to be at the Varsity tryout? If so, this seems to be the best kept secret in Edina and maybe other districts. Sounds like they had so many kids tryout for Varsity that there were around 87 kids left over. Kids who went to the Varsity tryout and got cut were given priority and placed on higher level teams over better kids who didn't go because they knew they'd get cut. Jr. Gold coaches on the ice at Varsity tyrouts is what's happening. Does this happen in all districts? I say if this is the case you'd all better show up at that varsity tryout and make em cut ya.
The answer is no, you don't have to be at the Varsity tryout in Edina to be placed on a Jr. Gold A or B team. I have first-hand knowledge of this. There is no debate.
Bub

Post by Bub »

No wonder Giles couldn't put a decent team together this year..he's mishandling the Jr. Gold program.