Duluth East Vs. White Bear Dec.7 @superior arena

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who's comin out on top ?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:23 am

hounds
62%
da bears
38%

Total votes: 34

Lucia4President

Post by Lucia4President » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:17 pm

I'm sure, since there is 1 bar for every 3 people in Superior.
HOUNDS

ColdasIce

Post by ColdasIce » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:25 pm

formerlybackofnet wrote:Okay DE fans, I'm headed up from the cities to watch the game tonight. Is there a good place in Superior to get a burger and a beer after the game?
The Anchor Bar! Great burgers and beer

formerlybackofnet

Post by formerlybackofnet » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:43 pm

easy to find?

eastranger19

Post by eastranger19 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:29 pm

Leave early, park on Tower Ave. Have 1 Beer at each bar and you will see the fastest paced game all year. Make sure you remember where your car is and bring a designated driver!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

hockeypuck02

Score??

Post by hockeypuck02 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:21 pm

Any updates on this one??

Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:06 pm

ColdasIce wrote:
formerlybackofnet wrote:Okay DE fans, I'm headed up from the cities to watch the game tonight. Is there a good place in Superior to get a burger and a beer after the game?
The Anchor Bar! Great burgers and beer
The Spur across the street from Shultz's has a great pepper cheese burger. I also recommend the Motzi sticks. As long as you are down there pop into the Viking for a Green Monster.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:32 pm

Final: WBL 3, East 2 in overtime.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:34 pm

Thanks Lee. Any feedback on the game? Tough start for the Hounds & very solid start to the season for the Bears.

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:36 pm

east hockey wrote:Final: WBL 3, East 2 in overtime.

Lee
Anoka and Forest Lake have the early lead for the #1 seed in 7AA. :twisted:

dulutheastfan

Post by dulutheastfan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:46 pm

Was it Matt Cooper in the goal for the hounds? I believe that was his first game. I did not get to watch the game. It is tough for a team to play back to back games and not get much rest the night before....tough loss for the hounds, the need the 5 day rest to get ready for cloquet Thursday...

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:52 pm

WBL 0-2-0-1 (3)
DE 1-0-1-0 (2)

The tying goal came with about 1:30 to play in the 3rd.

SAHA does not post shot totals, but East was up roughly 20-10 after 2 periods and the ratio didn't seem to change much after that. It was an extremely frustrating game and one East probably should have won. Randolph started Cooper in goal, which I didn't agree with. He wasn't awful, but I'd expect to see Larson back in net for Cloquet. I'll give a lot of credit to the WBL goalie, who was on tonight.

Based on their last 2 games, East seems to be missing something. They could be 4-0 easily. I'm not sure what it is...it could be an experienced goaltender, a go-to forward in close games, penalty problems, or just a result of exhaustion after a game in Minnetonka last night. They came out flying in the first period and seemed a bit more flat in the 2nd. That seems to be a trend with the Greyhounds recently. They had great first periods vs. Wayzata, Tonka, and WBL (not to mention Rapids in last year's section semifinal) but have struggled to keep up the pressure in the 2nd. I'm not sure if it means anything; it's just my observation. It seems to be a very odd trend for a team with a lot of depth.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:54 pm

Anyway, on to Cloquet. Beating the Jacks will make up for several losses, and also be a big boost within the section.

And also, congratulations to Dillon Friday on his first varsity goal.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:57 pm

Neutron 14 wrote:
east hockey wrote:Final: WBL 3, East 2 in overtime.

Lee
Anoka and Forest Lake have the early lead for the #1 seed in 7AA. :twisted:
Brat. Now I know why I shouldn't be taking a sip of water when I read one of your posts!!

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006

northwoods oldtimer

East

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:57 pm

Karl sounds like East is in dire need of some kids who can bury the puck. Getting shots but no finishers.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:04 pm

Yes, they seem to have lacked someone who can really bury it since Podge Turnbull's defection. Losing Keegan Flaherty sure didn't help that cause either. Tardy and Johnson are good forwards, but they aren't nearly as good as those two or the stars that have come out of East's rivals in recent years.

east hockey
Site Admin

Re: East

Post by east hockey » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:04 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Karl sounds like East is in dire need of some kids who can bury the puck. Getting shots but no finishers.
That was basically the problem tonight. They owned the first period but only had a 1-0 lead. They had problems with the power play (what were they, 1-6? They scored on their final power play to tie it up with around two minutes left in the third). They had the opportunity to put this one away early, and then White Bear found their legs in the second period.

They had many chances tonight and were oh-so-close to cashing in. Sometimes that extra pass attempted turns out to be one too many passes.

As for the goaltending thing (responding to another post), Cooper looked okay tonight. I think we got a little too used to having Ben Leis and now we're getting used to having two goalies who (in my opinion) are fairly equal. Both are good and the potential is there.

We'll see. I'm not too concerned with being 2-2. As Karl said, they could be 4-0. But could be doesn't count for much, does it?

Bring on Cloquet. We need a breather. Image

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006

northwoods oldtimer

East

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:10 pm

East should have pulled up Nolan Meyer. He may not have sniped at will at the high school level but you build for the future with a stud like that on your bantam team.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:10 pm

Right now Cloquet looks like their easiest game left in December, as crazy as that sounds.

I agree there's no cause for major concern. The team looks deep and balanced. Hopefully a goaltender and maybe another scoring threat will emerge over the next few weeks. The unfortunate thing is that with East's schedule, there's little time to toy around with things. It might make for a rough month, but there's no reason to dobut East won't be a favorite in the section come mid-February.

ColdasIce

Post by ColdasIce » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:01 am

karl(east) wrote:Yes, they seem to have lacked someone who can really bury it since Podge Turnbull's defection. Losing Keegan Flaherty sure didn't help that cause either. Tardy and Johnson are good forwards, but they aren't nearly as good as those two or the stars that have come out of East's rivals in recent years.
Karl, turnbull was good, flaherty was just a tough grinding forward, never
a scoring threat. I believe he scored just 12 goals last year, one after the schwans cup, so from dec to feb that makes him up their with turnbull?
Tardy and johnson will come around, they are playing well against tough teams.

ColdasIce

Re: East

Post by ColdasIce » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:02 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:East should have pulled up Nolan Meyer. He may not have sniped at will at the high school level but you build for the future with a stud like that on your bantam team.
get serious, nolan meyer is good but ask kenny mellin and kyle lutzka, the two stars of last year's bantams how different the level of hockey is in high school.

Ihate stupid comments so early on.

tommyboy

Post by tommyboy » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:54 am

Flarhety a scoring threat???? who said that.. must not have watched to many games last year.... Johnson and Tardy are putting up points the whole team just needs to help out a little bit. The team needs to dig deep and realize they are playing for a quality program and need to get fired up to play games cuz with their schedule.. no games will be easy

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:31 pm

ColdasIce wrote:
karl(east) wrote:Yes, they seem to have lacked someone who can really bury it since Podge Turnbull's defection. Losing Keegan Flaherty sure didn't help that cause either. Tardy and Johnson are good forwards, but they aren't nearly as good as those two or the stars that have come out of East's rivals in recent years.
Karl, turnbull was good, flaherty was just a tough grinding forward, never
a scoring threat. I believe he scored just 12 goals last year, one after the schwans cup, so from dec to feb that makes him up their with turnbull?
Tardy and johnson will come around, they are playing well against tough teams.
I'd never say Flaherty was anywhere near as good as Turnbull; I'm aware of how much (or little) he scored after the Schwan Cup last year. But losing him a year early obviously didn't help the offense.

The Hounds do need more contributions from the 2nd and 3rd lines. The 1st is the only one that's scored in the past 2 games.

sicknasty7722

Post by sicknasty7722 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:34 pm

This game was one of the worst officiated games in high school hockey I've ever seen. It reminded me of the part in Remember The Titans when the refs are puposefully trying to make Coach Boone lose so the assistant coach can get his job back. At one point in the game I believe the powerplays were 8-1 in East's favor. By the end of the game they had to have had over 10. At one point I heard one of the WB coaches scream, "Now you know why nobody wants to come up north to play you guys, because you have to cheat to win!" When WB's coach wanted to pull the ref aside and talk to him, all four coaches began to shout his name when he was within 20 feet of their bench, but he pretended like he couldn't hear them. At the end of the game, when White Bear was celebrating, as everyone jumped off the bench into a pile behind the net, an East player was hacking every player as they went by. Another player from DE player deliberately elbowed Fiala of WB in the face as he skated by. It was unbelievable how favorable the refs were being for Duluth East, and I'm really glad that WB pulled off the win because they definately deserved it.