I want to buy skates for my 2 year old

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

td577

I want to buy skates for my 2 year old

Post by td577 »

Where can I find a good pair of skates for a 2 year old and do they make them that small? He wears size 2 in baby sizes. He is a small kid.

I don't know what forum to ask this in, but I only go to this one and I kow there are some people who have kids.

Thanks
sicknasty7722

Post by sicknasty7722 »

Wow, skating at two? Junior Ovechkin?

:lol: Try Play It Again Sports
BIAFP

Post by BIAFP »

Expect to start getting mailings from the privates by age three :roll:
CarGuy

Post by CarGuy »

i know you mean well, but dont waste your time getting your kid skates till next year...i took my 2 year old skatinglast year and ke coudlnt even push a small chair around or stand up....too hard to maintain balance, wait till 3 years old...and better get him a helmet too...just as important...but mills fleet farm if you have one around you carries lots of kids hockey stuff...not that they need it, but it looks cute on them..gloves, helmets, masks, breezers..they have it all...
Undercover Hockey Lover

Post by Undercover Hockey Lover »

Don't waste your time on actual skates. Try to find an old pair of strap on four-runners and don't make him try push a chair he's too small; skate with him and just make him comfortable with being on ice. I remember I took my littlest girl out when she was three and in the first five minutes her statement was..."Hey...this stuff is slippery...I could get hurt out here" :lol: I busted a gut and that's what it's all about. :)
Hockey Moms are Hottest!!!
Walter Sojack

Post by Walter Sojack »

When you actually buy him a pair of skates, Infinity Hockey skates have a great selection for the young players... They have a line specifically designed for the wee little ones. Tend to be cheaper than others too.
I'm finishing my coffee
SB24

Post by SB24 »

I bought skates for my 2 year old last winter and i believe the smallest they make is like a 7 or 8. I found a pair at play it again for about $20 that were supposedly used... They were a little big, but i just put another pair of socks on him last year and they still fit this year.
newSPUDfan

Post by newSPUDfan »

When my son was 2, I just let him walk around on the ice and get used to it. The next year I got him skates and he would push the chair around. Just before his 4th B-day, I took away the chair and gave him a stick and he loved it! Seemed to be a seamless transition, but every kid is different. No offense, but skating at 2 seems a bit too much too young.

In response to the size question, I was told they do not make them that small.
td577

Post by td577 »

Thanks for all the help. I don't want to push my kid into any sport, he is just crazy energy-wise and I need to keep him active, so I thought skating would be a good activity. He is in gymnastics and has good balance for a little kid, I just want to have a family activity, like skating, where he can burn some energy and we can all have fun as a family.

We really don't have a family outdoor activity in the winter. We go to the Y a lot and go swimming together and my son loves it. He loves the gymnastics because of the trampoline and showing off somersaults. He likes anything that challenges him so he can figure it out. But everything we do is inside in the winter.

I think I will take the advice of a few here who said to wait another year. This winter we can keep doing the swimming and gymnastics. Next winter, when he is three, we can get the skates and watch the kid go crazy.

By the way, someone mentioned little kid hockey gear. I would think the gloves might not be a bad idea to protect hands from skate blades.