Apple Valley

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

mnpuck1233

Apple Valley

Post by mnpuck1233 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:32 pm

Lost to Bville 8-2 on Saturday...This is the 2nd year straight they've been brutal..whats up with the eagles?

MNsGreatest#2

Post by MNsGreatest#2 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:59 pm

Who is Apple Valleys goalie? I had a tender on my AAA team way back when from AV, just wondering if he was on V. I think his name was Corey but dont remember the last name, He might have graduated last year tho.

hockeyjunkie2

Post by hockeyjunkie2 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:06 pm

Current goalies on Varsity: Landon Hersch SR, Aaron Gretz FR
Landon is the starter and struggles. Gretz has been given one game against Mounds View and gave up three goals but all on power play, and the AV penalty kill is brutal this year. They get themselves in the box more than anyone I have seen this year and thats why they struggle to give goals up. I personally think Gretz is the better goalie and needs his shot again in a bigger game that matters perhaps tomorrow night against Jefferson? Why not at this point in the season what does hayes have to lose to give the kid his shot? They also lack some depth up front they have a few good forwards no real standouts if any I would say I have liked Colton Warner JR. If they can stay out of the box they would stay in games. Against Burnsville it was 3-2 going into the third. 2 or 3 of them had already been pp goals and then they added a few more pp goals then it snowballed as they gave up.

Also have lost a few kids to other schools two off the top of my head are Casper the goalie to Eagan and McNamara to AHA.

Bottom line is I feel they need a goalie change and stay out of the box more and some things could change around this year, not to a conference champ, but the ability to pull an upset perhaps or be competitive at least. Also need to work on finishing they have outshot EP, LN, and I think Rosemount as well of the losses and ties. Thsi is a non-bias review of the team not a player, not a parent, just love the lake and follow the eagles because I live there.

michael paul

Post by michael paul » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:32 pm

I share many of the same sentiments as hockeyjunkie2.

Hersch is a senior and is getting his chance. I have been to 3 games so far and the kid gets beat high as he drops as soon as the shot is taken. When you are not tall to begin with, this is a problem. Did not see Gretz play against Mounds View but have heard he has some potential. Problem is that the coaches are loyal to their upper classmen, almost to a fault.

The D are pretty thin this year. Against Burnsville, on the first 2 of BV's power play goals, I wondered if the defenseman on the penalty kill had any idea a BV player was standing in front of his goalie. In both cases, that BV player scored without any physical play on the part of the AV defenseman (in both cases, it was not the same defenseman). Robson seems to be progressing well after playing varsity as a 9th grader.

It appears the best 2 forwards are underclassmen. Fischer and Warner seem to be in the mix of things and probably have a chance to play in the elite league in the future.

This group of kids could actually do well this year if they can find a way to keep the puck out of the net. Against Eden Prairie, Eastview and Burnsville, they gave those teams all they could handle... for 2 periods. Only problem is, hockey is a 3 period game.

hockeyjunkie2

Post by hockeyjunkie2 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:06 pm

michael paul wrote:I share many of the same sentiments as hockeyjunkie2.

Hersch is a senior and is getting his chance. I have been to 3 games so far and the kid gets beat high as he drops as soon as the shot is taken. When you are not tall to begin with, this is a problem. Did not see Gretz play against Mounds View but have heard he has some potential. Problem is that the coaches are loyal to their upper classmen, almost to a fault.

The D are pretty thin this year. Against Burnsville, on the first 2 of BV's power play goals, I wondered if the defenseman on the penalty kill had any idea a BV player was standing in front of his goalie. In both cases, that BV player scored without any physical play on the part of the AV defenseman (in both cases, it was not the same defenseman). Robson seems to be progressing well after playing varsity as a 9th grader.

It appears the best 2 forwards are underclassmen. Fischer and Warner seem to be in the mix of things and probably have a chance to play in the elite league in the future.

This group of kids could actually do well this year if they can find a way to keep the puck out of the net. Against Eden Prairie, Eastview and Burnsville, they gave those teams all they could handle... for 2 periods. Only problem is, hockey is a 3 period game.
michael paul, you said you missed gretz the first time around, well I heard today he will be getting the start in goal tonight against Jefferson.

jbhockeyfan

Post by jbhockeyfan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:28 pm

The freshman goalie did start against Jefferson and looked solid, even though he did give up three goals. The key was he made the saves he was supposed to make, which hasn't been happening for the first part of the year. Apple Valley had quite a few good scoring chances against Jefferson and the new first line was strong most of the game.

What do people think about #21 for AV? He is on the second line and I don't think he has any points yet this year.

RFFalcon22

Post by RFFalcon22 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:43 am

Two of the short-handed goals they gave up could have easily been prevented if they would have cleared the puck all the way down when they had the chance; they didn't clear the puck all the way down and Jefferson ended up scoring both times. If AV could have gotten any production from its PP they would have been right in this game. As for my opinion on the players I'm a little biased so I won't speak on that.

hockeyjunkie2

Post by hockeyjunkie2 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:02 pm

I agree they could have been prevented with soldi clearances but that's been the story this year is a rough penalty kill. Also agreed that the freshman goalie played fine and should continue to get the games.

As for the lines I liked the 1st line alot, I thought they brought alot of energy to the team. The second line with Warner and Fischer I think would be better off with Buck at center. Sikich (21) has played alright this year he shoudl be on the team but I feel he shouldn't be on that line. Overall the team showed will in the game hopefully they can slowly piece it together and get something going this year liek the AV football team did.

RFFalcon22

Post by RFFalcon22 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:49 pm

Until they learn to play hard AND stay out of the box they're going to struggle. They have a lot of guys that work their butts off and a few good, young playmakers but what they're missing is a guy who is a natural goal-scorer for them to feed. Unfortunately those don't come along too often in AV so they're going to need to learn how to play a little more gritty and start getting some ugly goals if they're going to turn things around.

The tender30

Post by The tender30 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:51 pm

Does anyone know how this teams jv is doing this year?

eagle4life9

Post by eagle4life9 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:22 pm

The tender30 there is a JV forum just go to the bottom and pull up "Minnesota JV"

TooManyEagles

Post by TooManyEagles » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:29 pm

The JV is doing awful. Coming into Tuesday, they had lost every game and were outscored 27-3.

mrhockey08

Post by mrhockey08 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:23 pm

There F***ed unless Erik Westrum becomes eligible for HS Hockey again

The Weight Room

Re: Apple Valley

Post by The Weight Room » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:00 am

mnpuck1233 wrote:whats up with the eagles?
they suck??

Hockeyguy_27

Re: Apple Valley

Post by Hockeyguy_27 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:13 am

The Weight Room wrote:
mnpuck1233 wrote:whats up with the eagles?
they suck??
Wait a few years, they're going to be good once again in about 2010.

The tender30

Post by The tender30 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:31 pm

Will end up 6th in the lake this year have already played top 6 teams in the lake right now and were in all those games they play kennedy lakeville south and then go to rochester where only good team in tourny is century then play chaska and eagan could be 7-6-1or 8-5-1 after this stretch only game they were not within one goal going into the third was jefferson. and yes they lost to bville 8-2 but score was 3-2 going into third. Are a team with toons of seniors will be the biggest surprise team of the year in minnesota. and no i dont live in apple valley and i am not a fan of the team i live i in rosemount.