Ms. Hockey 2008

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

polars

Re: agree

Post by polars »

bardown10 wrote:
hockeywild7 wrote:Feste is good but I think Seeler is the best player on EP
Agreed.
You guys are slow learners. Feste isn't the best foward on her own team. Mail this award to Bemidji already. Start a new thread for runner up.
gbncrs

Post by gbncrs »

[quote="tigerpower"]Southern Minnesota so this might mean nothing but, Taylor Jenkins is someone I wouldn't count out. She also got her 300th point last week. Solid player just hides South of Lakeville.[/quote]

How about Nara Higano at Mayo? Solid defensive play 4.0 GPA and plays double shifts throughout the game
hckyluvr

Re: 2008 Ms. Hockey

Post by hckyluvr »

Based on the selection criteria, I know of one I would have to discount. She is an outstanding player, probably one of the best in the list, but a couple of her on ice antics in a recent game, IMO showed no class on her part...Sara Erickson
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

hckyluvr wrote:Based on the selection criteria, I know of one I would have to discount. She is an outstanding player, probably one of the best in the list, but a couple of her on ice antics in a recent game, IMO showed no class on her part...Sara Erickson
What on ice antics are those and in what game?
hckyluvr

Post by hckyluvr »

She was too busy stickhandling to meet with the captains before the game. In a game they easily won, she shoves an opposing player (North Wright County) from behind at the final buzzer for no reason. She may be a great player, but sometimes your actions will tell another story.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

hckyluvr wrote:She was too busy stickhandling to meet with the captains before the game. In a game they easily won, she shoves an opposing player (North Wright County) from behind at the final buzzer for no reason. She may be a great player, but sometimes your actions will tell another story.
The not meeting with captains thing is not good. Their head coach told me about that and spoke to her about it. As far as shoving a player at the buzzer, did you happen to see how she gets hacked and held every game including that North Wright County game. One of those moments when I guess she had enough. I'm not trying to condone that but she is a teenager and teenagers sometimes do things they aren't real proud of. Sara Erickson is a great kid and deserves to be Ms. Hockey 2008.
xwildfan

Post by xwildfan »

She was too busy stickhandling to meet with the captains before the game
Isn't the stickhandling a normal part of Erickson's pre-game routine? Everytime I have seen her play, she is always stickhandling before the game.
xwildfan

Post by xwildfan »

The quote and my comment were supposed to be reversed in the previous post. I never get the quote highlighted correctly.
GivinYaTheBusiness

Post by GivinYaTheBusiness »

hckyluvr wrote:She was too busy stickhandling to meet with the captains before the game. In a game they easily won, she shoves an opposing player (North Wright County) from behind at the final buzzer for no reason. She may be a great player, but sometimes your actions will tell another story.
Though it wasn't as classy as one could hope, we have to keep in mind that she IS a teenager. What teenager do you know who isn't rather self-involved. She'd be an excellent candidate for Ms. Hockey, the girl was born to play.
chickendance

Post by chickendance »

Xwild

Yes it's part of her normal routine to stick handle before a game. I have never seen her not meet with the captains before a game though. She also was just back from playing with some of the best in the country and probably trying to adjust with the let down. Sometimes we all get worn a little thin. I can cut her the slack on that one.

I doubt out of the list that every player has done everything like a u.s. senator (oh wait bad example) throughout their season. What is their overall character? Sarah is ten times the player on and off the ice then last year. She has elevated her play to be an asset as a team player. She elevates those around her. She is a great candidate. I am sure the shove after the whistle has played out on many a team and many a great player throughout the season.

There are some great names here. I think this senior class is a pretty special group. I only know some of them from off ice, and a couple could still grow up more...but that is to be expected. I don't see anything disqualifying any of these names.

As for her head coach talking to Erickson...not sure what that means...or why it is relevant. Erickson probably figured it out on her own before he said anything to her.
defensedad

Post by defensedad »

chickendance wrote:Xwild

Yes it's part of her normal routine to stick handle before a game. I have never seen her not meet with the captains before a game though. She also was just back from playing with some of the best in the country and probably trying to adjust with the let down. Sometimes we all get worn a little thin. I can cut her the slack on that one.

I doubt out of the list that every player has done everything like a u.s. senator (oh wait bad example) throughout their season. What is their overall character? Sarah is ten times the player on and off the ice then last year. She has elevated her play to be an asset as a team player. She elevates those around her. She is a great candidate. I am sure the shove after the whistle has played out on many a team and many a great player throughout the season.

There are some great names here. I think this senior class is a pretty special group. I only know some of them from off ice, and a couple could still grow up more...but that is to be expected. I don't see anything disqualifying any of these names.

As for her head coach talking to Erickson...not sure what that means...or why it is relevant. Erickson probably figured it out on her own before he said anything to her.
Chicken

Maybe you want to explain what this let down means? It makes me think that you are under the impression that her HS team is the gut ball of the planet! What would the other parents think about you writing how it s a let down to come back to your team? Is that what you meant?
chickendance

Post by chickendance »

The let down...let's see...it looks like you got the general idea. I didn't say gut ball...you took it there.

Clearly there is quite a bit of difference in talent between the team USA and her high school team. Or maybe you think it's the same and that the intensity and level of play from the opponent was just like when she played against Canada?

Sorry if it offends you that I think our high school teams aren't at the same talent level as the US U18 team. I wish every team was made up entirely by the best players in the country and were played at the same intensity as the gold medal game, which I actually watched.
eastsidehockey

Post by eastsidehockey »

It is a combination of things that will decide this, like GRADES. So unless we have access to report cards than maybe a thread should be "best player" not Ms Hockey. Community involvement will be looked at as well. Ms. Hockey is about great players but greater people.
crazyfan

Post by crazyfan »

eastsidehockey wrote:It is a combination of things that will decide this, like GRADES. So unless we have access to report cards than maybe a thread should be "best player" not Ms Hockey. Community involvement will be looked at as well. Ms. Hockey is about great players but greater people.
That's what makes it such an honor - being a great person should come first and a being great player on top of it just makes it all the better.
pondhockey

Post by pondhockey »

Any one know when the nominations are announced? Are they announced first in the LPH mag or do they get a call/letter to give them a heads up before it hits the news stands?
xwildfan

Post by xwildfan »

I would like the Ms.Hockey award go to the best hockey player. By this I don't mean the players with the most points or goals. It would be a player (non-goalie) that most people would choose first if they were picking a team. I don't think one player should be given preference over another because she has a 4.0 GPA and another has a 3.0. There are plenty of awards for academics. Likewise regarding community service. What if one player works a part-time job and another player does x number of hours of community service? I don't think the player with the job should be at a disadvantage. Let the award go to the best all-around hockey player. Factors that should be included: team player, coachability, does she make her team better, leadership qualities.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

Ms Hockey 2008 = Sarah Erickson
Bemidji High School Captain, leading scorer on an offensively high powered team, plays both ends of the ice
Team USA U18 Captain-gold medal winner-one of the top players on that team
U of Minnesota recruit
GivinYaTheBusiness

Post by GivinYaTheBusiness »

State Champ 97 wrote:Ms Hockey 2008 = Sarah Erickson
Bemidji High School Captain, leading scorer on an offensively high powered team, plays both ends of the ice
Team USA U18 Captain-gold medal winner-one of the top players on that team
U of Minnesota recruit
And as far as students go...I believe she's on the officer board of the student council, if I'm not mistaken.
pondhockey

Post by pondhockey »

Let's start a new thread: Why Sarah Erickson should/would/could/will be Miss Hockey! Then her fans can go at it all they want. :roll:
hockeyheaven

Post by hockeyheaven »

pondhockey wrote:Let's start a new thread: Why Sarah Erickson should/would/could/will be Miss Hockey! Then her fans can go at it all they want. :roll:
Hey when your proud ya gots to be loud! 8)

My pick is Ms Welsch or Erickson or Bacon. I like to wait and see which one comes through down the stretch like Ms Chute did last year.
brookyone

Post by brookyone »

pondhockey wrote:Let's start a new thread: Why Sarah Erickson should/would/could/will be Miss Hockey! Then her fans can go at it all they want. :roll:
Fits into this thread just fine I'd say. It is the "Ms. Hockey 2008" thread . :?
GOCARDS1

Post by GOCARDS1 »

after watching erickson play, i was impressed. But I was not impressed with how cheap and chippy she was. Elbows and hands in the face, hooks, hacks, interferes. You also find her off on the ice by herself doing her own thing, often seeming like she strives for individual intention. I just dont think she is the best team player in the state, although very talented obviously.
Thunderbird77

Post by Thunderbird77 »

Ms. Hockey for last year not only was a great hockey player -- both with individual skill, and in the way she made everyone around her better. She was also a National Merit Scholar, meaning top academically, not just good grades. She also participated in community service. Finally, she never played cheap. After the game, she would talk to and compliment the opposing players she knew. In short, she had all of the attributes that the award is about, to a very high degree.

Katherine Chute never did any of the things Ms Erickson is reportrd to have done in these posts. While we should understand and forgive Ms Erickson's actions (assuming the reports are true), Ms Hockey is about the whole player. I'd hate to get to the point in Girls Hockey, like some other sports where its only about athletic talent and you start to see behaviors that are less than honorable. Ms. Hockey 2007 is going to be hard to top, but we should come as close as we can with Ms. Hockey 2008.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

GOCARDS1 wrote:after watching erickson play, i was impressed. But I was not impressed with how cheap and chippy she was. Elbows and hands in the face, hooks, hacks, interferes. You also find her off on the ice by herself doing her own thing, often seeming like she strives for individual intention. I just dont think she is the best team player in the state, although very talented obviously.
So if she is so cheap, why is it she only has 18 penalty minutes this year?
GOCARDS1

Post by GOCARDS1 »

Well for one she missed a lot of games this season. I would still consider 18 minutes a lot for how many games she has played. The game that I watched, the refs let many things go against Bemidji I thought. As a whole, the Bemidji team is very physical, often too physical sometimes.