#2 Duluth Marshall v.s. Mankato West

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will win

Poll ended at Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:32 am

Duluth Marshall
57%
Mankato West
43%

Total votes: 117

bugsysback

Post by bugsysback »

dangleallday16 wrote:Dano Jacques will snipe tyler bruggeman
And you will be sitting on your couch in good ole New Ulm watching it. How did the Section final go for you against LDC.
Where_is_the_bridge?

Post by Where_is_the_bridge? »

There is only one thing that corey leivermann does better than scoring goals and that's scoring with the ladies!!!
The Talon

Post by The Talon »

West basically has only 1.5 lines---Lievermans line can match up with anyone, but West's depth drops off dramatically from there.

In the section final, Lourdes was not at their top form at all despite outshooting West 41-19---Bruggeman only got 2-3 real quality shots on him.

West captialized on 2 power plays-then 1 fluke goal in the 3rd off an LHS player.

Given the strength of schedule of the 2 I say Duluth Marshall 6-3

By the way-I could have sworn a long LHS shot went past Bruggeman in the 1st. The refs were in no position at all, and some said it hit the post but-

1. I didnt hear a "ping"
2. the puck came off very soft form a shot that far out to have gone off the post.

At the time it was 1-0 west....anybody else see this play?
puckman22

Post by puckman22 »

I heard Dano has a meeting with the MSHSL before every game to regulate his goal scoring.
I went to a fight, and a hockey game broke out.
Where_is_the_bridge?

Post by Where_is_the_bridge? »

Talon, I was sitting in the corner down in the west d-zone. The puck was fluttering took a weird bounce to the left and hit the post. You probably didn't hear a ping because the puck was barley moving.
BIAFP

Post by BIAFP »

puckman22 wrote:I heard Dano has a meeting with the MSHSL before every game to regulate his goal scoring.

Coming from the same clown that said he was going to be Mr. Hockey :roll:
gruntcall

Post by gruntcall »

Where_is_the_bridge? wrote:Talon, I was sitting in the corner down in the west d-zone. The puck was fluttering took a weird bounce to the left and hit the post. You probably didn't hear a ping because the puck was barley moving.
I was also on that end and have the same story. Took a funny bounce. Could have been a game changer no doubt.

Talon,The fluke goal? Explain that to me. #11 breakaway?
TheCaptain

Post by TheCaptain »

The Talon wrote:West basically has only 1.5 lines---Lievermans line can match up with anyone, but West's depth drops off dramatically from there.

In the section final, Lourdes was not at their top form at all despite outshooting West 41-19---Bruggeman only got 2-3 real quality shots on him.

West captialized on 2 power plays-then 1 fluke goal in the 3rd off an LHS player.

Given the strength of schedule of the 2 I say Duluth Marshall 6-3

By the way-I could have sworn a long LHS shot went past Bruggeman in the 1st. The refs were in no position at all, and some said it hit the post but-

1. I didnt hear a "ping"
2. the puck came off very soft form a shot that far out to have gone off the post.

At the time it was 1-0 west....anybody else see this play?
You can't be making all of your assumptions from only watching the Lourdes game. All season long people have been talking about how West has been winning games with their depth and I am pretty sure our 3rd line was matching up with Lourdes top line in the section championship with no problems. Go ahead and argue the shot differential but they were far and few between on quality. West has worn down almost every team they've played with speed and depth.
purplejesus

Post by purplejesus »

what tv station is the game on wed?
Fixxer2

Post by Fixxer2 »

If you have seen MW play you would see a good team. But also a lot of holes. Brug. stops first shot good but very bad recovery. Flops alot bad on stick side low. But good because team cleans up for him. Take first line out of play will have hard time winning. I would like to see MW win but I don't think they will. DM-5 MW-2
bruiser16

Post by bruiser16 »

This in my opinion should be a pretty good game....I cant wait to see what bruggeman has in store...kid is a solid goalie, and brings enthusiasm to the ice, as long as he plays smart between the pipes, and doesnt run around in the zone to play pucks he is really good. Dont get me wrong Dano can rip the puck and find openings, should be good. As far as everyones arguments going for the depth of West I think this is a strong point for them! I have watched a couple of section championship games, and thought they have one of the best 3rd lines as far as discipline. Essay gives them a job and they go and execute it the right way. Are they going to score a goal against marshall, probably not! But they are going to make marshall work low in their own zone. Every chance that 3rd line gets the puck it is going behind the net for the d-man to work it out. Time will tell, I think this is going to be an OT game right off the bat.
iloveburritos

Post by iloveburritos »

Although Marshall has a little chip on their shoulder for not getting the #1 seed, West believes they have a bigger chip on their shoulder. Having a great record and running through people this year (granted the schedule strength) believes they should have gotten a 4 seed. People have been saying they are overrated all year, which has given them a little motivation. All the people saying DM will kill West is just motivating them more.

Mankato West - 5 Duluth Marshall - 2 (empty net)
fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 »

D.M.-4
M.W.-2

West will outshoot D.M. but will end up losing
rams80

Post by rams80 »

The MSHSL has already printed the tickets for the Thursday morning game between West and Litchfield at Mariucci.
cititeshockey

Post by cititeshockey »

ill be surprised if MW gets 2 goals

anybody know who is starting at goalie for marshall?
When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too.
BIAFP

Post by BIAFP »

cititeshockey wrote:ill be surprised if MW gets 2 goals

A cardboard cutout if they are lucky :roll:
cititeshockey

Post by cititeshockey »

BIAFP wrote:
cititeshockey wrote:ill be surprised if MW gets 2 goals

A cardboard cutout if they are lucky :roll:
ye i guess it doesn't really matter cuz they are both really good
When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too.
ColdasIce

Post by ColdasIce »

7A22A wrote:
DmnHawk5 wrote:Will people please stop holding ANY team responsible for playing the few real easy teams that they have to play because of their conference schedule. All teams have it, they have no choice, it shouldn't be part of any argument.
ColdasIce has followed all the DM threads this year and bashed them at every chance. I would be cranky too if my teams DE and Anoka could not dispose of Cloquet like DM did. It is correct that DE is not in the LSC.[/quote
I don't like Marshall never have never will, and yes I'm cranky losing to Cloquet (have a heart as "coldasice") Still mad, and probably will always be mad at my teams defensive breakdown. Kudos to Cloquet and I wish them luck actually because they will need it. Marshall? NEVER in a million years do I want them to be State Champs, cocky kids all ready.
Zimmy

Post by Zimmy »

West will indeed be facing it's toughest test of the year with Marshall. I think if West plays smart and stays out of the box they will compete and maybe even upset Marshall. I think it will be a 1 or 2 goal game, in who's favor I do not know. I hope it is West though. GOOD LUCK BOYS!!!!!
puckman22

Post by puckman22 »

BIAFP wrote:
puckman22 wrote:I heard Dano has a meeting with the MSHSL before every game to regulate his goal scoring.

Coming from the same clown that said he was going to be Mr. Hockey :roll:
Mr. Hockey in my book. But really I'm starting to like you BIAFP
Black Ice

Post by Black Ice »

7A22A wrote:No common opp. between these two. I don't put much weight in 3rd party games.
Much tougher schedule for DM
DM has two goalies (one with better stats than the WM and one just below).
DM has two of the top 3 rated blue liners in class A. Two others are top quality.
DM will skate 3 extremely fast lines and the 4th will see ice time.
DM, has seen, division 1 players with a few Mr. Hockey finalists, game in and game out.
DM is healthy and you can spin stats all you want.
So they didn't have these same things going for them when they were taken to overtime by a .500 Hibbing club? I would say West is at least as good as Hibbing. Marshall is the better club and should win, but don't be shocked if West gives them a game. The biggest advantage is they've been in the state spotlight. If West can get over the 1st period state jitters and still be in the game, they could make it interesting.
Last edited by Black Ice on Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reggiedunlop218

Post by reggiedunlop218 »

marshall is going to win, this thread was over before it started. lets be realistic. Mankato has no chance.
Dano "Captain Clutch" Jacques 4 President
puckman22

Post by puckman22 »

reggiedunlop218 wrote:marshall is going to win, this thread was over before it started. lets be realistic. Mankato has no chance.
Damn straight
iceman23

Post by iceman23 »

[quote="ColdasIce I don't like Marshall never have never will, and yes I'm cranky losing to Cloquet (have a heart as "coldasice") Still mad, and probably will always be mad at my teams defensive breakdown. Kudos to Cloquet and I wish them luck actually because they will need it. Marshall? NEVER in a million years do I want them to be State Champs, cocky kids all ready.[/quote]

I pity you!
puckman22

Post by puckman22 »

I heard Dano carved his own hockey stick out of a redwood tree, with his fingernails.