Best pep band at State Tourney

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

thorhockey

Best pep band at State Tourney

Post by thorhockey »

Hats off to North St Paul for the only game I attended with a pep band - not to mention a packed student section

Name the schools in the tourney that will have the best band and cheerleaders show up.
Last edited by thorhockey on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
thorhockey

Post by thorhockey »

Hill's band and cheerleaders warming up for the "once a year required hockey game performance"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIUSN5FtKX0
Indians forever

Post by Indians forever »

Since GR isn't in the big dance this year, I would have to say it is an open race!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
FlyerFan12

Post by FlyerFan12 »

LF has a great band
spartanfire13

Post by spartanfire13 »

Edina
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

thorhockey wrote:Hill's band and cheerleaders warming up for the "once a year required hockey game performance"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIUSN5FtKX0
You know me - I won't back them too often, but I've gotta hand it the Pioneers - the band showed up for all of the their playoff games which was nice to see. There were only about 30 of them, and they were 3 times the size of the rest of the HM crowd through rounds 1 and 2, but they were there.

I think that back when I was in school, most of the band's grade was based on appearances at football & hockey games. If they missed one, they'd drop a full letter grade or something like that. We'd show up to play St. Bernard's and there'd be an 80 piece band crammed into one section at Aldrich. It was great.

Personally, I don't really care about the music, but there's always something cool about having the band show up. It's a shame that it doesn't happen that often anymore. Friggin' budget cuts.
HasNoMoves

Post by HasNoMoves »

Roseau's band is by far the best..very class act and talented as well, not to mention big for the size of the school...it says a lot about their band program that they bring them all down to the X and put them up for the tourney too.
stpaul

HM

Post by stpaul »

The biggest pile of crap on this board the past several weeks is the nonsense from the Johnson, Tartan & North crowd that HM has small crowds, weak student support & only show up for the playoffs. HM has 850 kids in grades 9-12 - that is 1/3 the size of WBL & MV and 1/2 the size of North, Tartan & Mahtomedi. I was at all of those games this year. HM had larger crowds and student sections than all of them. They play their games in a 3,000 seat arena for a purpose - because they have a large following including alumni that follow the team for the rest of their lives. They have a good pep band and they play at a lot of games. It's a smaller band than Grand Rapids' or Edina's, but they are plenty good. 3 weeks ago at St Croix Rec, a Mahtomedi home game - on a Tuesday night which means boys & girls BB players are busy elsewhere - HM easily had 4 times the crowd that showed up for a very good Mahtomedi team.
hockeyfan510

Post by hockeyfan510 »

Does Roseau's Band have any guys in it? I thought you had to play hockey to graduate from Roseau wouldn't being in band rule you out?
Govs93

Re: HM

Post by Govs93 »

stpaul wrote:The biggest pile of crap on this board the past several weeks is the nonsense from the Johnson, Tartan & North crowd that HM has small crowds, weak student support & only show up for the playoffs. HM has 850 kids in grades 9-12 - that is 1/3 the size of WBL & MV and 1/2 the size of North, Tartan & Mahtomedi. I was at all of those games this year. HM had larger crowds and student sections than all of them. They play their games in a 3,000 seat arena for a purpose - because they have a large following including alumni that follow the team for the rest of their lives. They have a good pep band and they play at a lot of games. It's a smaller band than Grand Rapids' or Edina's, but they are plenty good. 3 weeks ago at St Croix Rec, a Mahtomedi home game - on a Tuesday night which means boys & girls BB players are busy elsewhere - HM easily had 4 times the crowd that showed up for a very good Mahtomedi team.
HM Had bigger crowds than Roseville? WBL? Johnson? You're either lying about being there, or you're blind. It wasn't close. I'll grant you that HM possibly had a bigger crowd than NSP but in all honesty, it was tough to tell because the Johnson crowd was filtering in and making the HM fan base appear bigger because they shared the same side of the rink.

And who do you think you're fooling by claiming HM needs to play in a 3,000 seat arena?! It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that it's the closest arena to the school, would it? Or maybe that it's a 3,000 seat area built by Ramsey County for the St. Paul City Conference? :roll: Hill-Murray ended up with Aldrich as their "home" rink by default because most of the City Conference went under, and Johnson moved home. The home side at Aldrich sits 2/3 empty for every regular season game. EVERY one - no matter the competition. Dont insult the people's intellegence.
stpaul

HM

Post by stpaul »

HM didn't play Roseville and Johnson. And yes they did have bigger crowds than WBL, MV, North, Tartan & Mahtomedi at games this year. No I'm not blind, but I am apparently insulting your "intelligence".
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

stpaul wrote:HM didn't play Roseville and Johnson. And yes they did have bigger crowds than WBL, MV, North, Tartan & Mahtomedi at games this year. No I'm not blind, but I am apparently insulting your "intelligence".
I was pointing out that HMs crowd was far less than the other 4AA crowds I saw. If you're claiming that HM outdrew those other schools during the regular season, I'll take your word for it (although I find it hard to believe against WBL, but I wasn't there). I'm telling you from what I've seen over the last couple of years from the games I've been to, it's a very small crowd every time - and from what I've seen, it appears as though about 70% of the crowd they do have are parents and family. I'm not knocking parents and family showing up for a game, but if they're outdrawing the students, that's a problem.

And going back to your original post... Don't misunderstand what I said about them -I gave the HM band credit. I think it's cool that they showed up. No other bands in 4AA did through the first 2 rounds (I didn't make the section finals, so if WBL didn't bring theirs, change my post to say "3 rounds").
dirtkiller_97

Post by dirtkiller_97 »

Pretty Much Little Falls's band is the best. Always very big and very spirited. Alotta of moves. Always very clear and loud. Advanced music and a great percussion section.
stpaul

HM

Post by stpaul »

Dec. 22 at Aldrich vs. WBL was HM's reunion & celebration of the 1983 team. Aldrich was completely packed plus standing on both sides & ends. WBL did not have a pep band Friday. I too miss the demise of pep bands. You would think a school of 2,800 students would have a pep band. I have noticed that North has resurrected a pep band after many years w/o one. I also do not understand the WBL crowd not staying for the awards ceremony for their team. Maybe 1/4 of the student section stayed to see their team get medals.
hm88

Post by hm88 »

stpaul wrote:Dec. 22 at Aldrich vs. WBL was HM's reunion & celebration of the 1983 team. Aldrich was completely packed plus standing on both sides & ends. WBL did not have a pep band Friday. I too miss the demise of pep bands. You would think a school of 2,800 students would have a pep band. I have noticed that North has resurrected a pep band after many years w/o one. I also do not understand the WBL crowd not staying for the awards ceremony for their team. Maybe 1/4 of the student section stayed to see their team get medals.
whitebearsuperfanB wrote:

White Bear fans love their team. Win or lose they will always be behind them. What would be demoralizing to White Bear would be having fans that only show up for sections and state. Just one of the many things that differ between these two schools.

Funny way of showing there loyalty huh stpaul
hockeyfanatic0011

Post by hockeyfanatic0011 »

I'm gonna have to go ahead and say the Rochester Centruy band was really good last year.
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

HM's band is pretty good. But nothing competes with Grand Rapids. Can we just have them come down anyway?
rams1989

Post by rams1989 »

hockeyfan510 wrote:Does Roseau's Band have any guys in it? I thought you had to play hockey to graduate from Roseau wouldn't being in band rule you out?
Just the JV kids. :wink: :) :wink:
Friends don't let friends play basketball.
Basil Chaps

Post by Basil Chaps »

And HM's band has one damn fine tuba player. But Hill's band can't touch GR or RC from last year.
Daddy'$ Money
HM 2008: STATE CHAMPIONS
rams1989

Post by rams1989 »

[quote="sachishi4"]HM's band is pretty good. But nothing competes with Grand Rapids. Can we just have them come down anyway?[/quote]

Great idea. High School bands just don't get much better than GR.
Friends don't let friends play basketball.
wishock

Post by wishock »

hockeyfan510 wrote:Does Roseau's Band have any guys in it? I thought you had to play hockey to graduate from Roseau wouldn't being in band rule you out?
Roseau's band would rule at the tournament if all the band members could participate. Unfortunately, or fortunately, a large number of the band members are down on the ice playing hockey. I know this is a hockey forum and nobody gives a rip but Roseau also has a very strong tradition in vocal and instrumental music.
DickTrickle

Post by DickTrickle »

Roseau has a band???? With students and now alumni in it?????
puckman22

Post by puckman22 »

Hermantown's Hawk dance last year was sick. Coupled with the band it was unbelievabale. Marshalls band is pretty tight too because basically nobody on the team is in the band
I went to a fight, and a hockey game broke out.
George Blanda

Post by George Blanda »

puckman22 wrote:Hermantown's Hawk dance last year was sick. Coupled with the band it was unbelievabale. Marshalls band is pretty tight too because basically nobody on the team is in the band
They did the dance this year in the semis against Cathedral...and it sure was funny.
"they are LAME" -darkdemon on SJU hockey
curdog504

Post by curdog504 »

The Litchfield band WILL be the best at state.

When we went in 1996 the band and fans were so loud that you could hardly hear the broadcasters on TV.