Worst Tourney in a long while?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Madman Riley

Post by Madman Riley »

goldy313 wrote:Yes, for a few reasons:
2) The skill level is going down, way down. Kids are much better skaters today than 30 years ago but they can't pass, can't catch a pass, move without the puck, back check, hit the net 3 out of 10 times with a shot, etc. The AA team that played the best team hockey won each game handily.
3) The BSM/Woodbury game was possibly the worst game I've seen in 30+ years. This includes some 1AA teams being beaten by 8 goals.
Didn't agree totally with your other points but those two, definitely!

MNHockey75 wrote:..The fact is, the single A tournament was Horrible. The worst ever. You add the four AA quarterfinal games where the collective scores were 20-3. And you then throw in a 3-0 AA final and a 5-1 A final and the tourney was just bad. That doesn't take away the fact that I had fun, but to me, it was the worst I've been to (been going since 99). Since I was born, my school has been down there once, I was on that team. So I don't know what it's like to have my school/team there like Hill-Murray did this year and win it. For them it's the best year ever. For others it's horrible because there team got whooped. For people like me who go for the atmosphere, the games, the talent, it was a major let down. But that won't stop me from going next year and the year after that.
There isn't a single thing you said that I don't agree with 1000%.
It's so much more interesting to hear a lucid argument -- from a one-time participant in the tournament! -- than listen to the too-often illiterate "we" rants of those who've been distracted from their homework.

Your conclusion "...major let down...won't stop me from (continuing to be a fan)" is perfectly expressed.

packerboy wrote:... the so called high school hockey fans whose support of hockey's year end tournament depends on whether their kind of team wins it...
Their kind of team?
Or their team?
It sure seems so many of the posters in this thread want to personalize (i.e., "their team") what started as a general (i.e., "the tournament") question.
But then 'personalizing the general' is a hallmark of those who actually obey the principles of 'Policital Correctness' all the while proclaiming their opposition to it.
To them, it's politically incorrect to suggest the tournament is, always has been, and always will be, perfection personified.

It's funny in a way that so few outside this State understand the passion we have for this sport (largely ignored by most Americans) and particularly as played at the high school level. And yet the few zealots who want to hold the 4-day competition above any possibility of criticism (or simple comparative evaluation) make me wonder if they aren't, indeed, "the so called high school hockey fans" who melt so rapidly away this time of year.
ozzie679 wrote:The tournament may have been interesting to see live. But watching the broadcast was brutal. Besides the crappy games, the atmosphere was and the crowd noise was pathetic.
Another point well taken.

To which I'll add: listening to the broadcasts is equally brutal.
Play-by-play and color-announcing quality continues to decline. Everywhere.
For which we can all thank the 'Boo-Yah!' school of Bristol, Connecticut and its blanket effect on every sport -- at every level -- covering us like liquid pigeon droppings.
pistol

Post by pistol »

Bad tourney for Nordern ringette players.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

pistol wrote:Bad tourney for Nordern ringette players.
I enjoyed it very much.

But then I have never played ringette.
I have watched a few games, though.
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

Whats ringette ?
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

PASTRAPIDSFAN wrote:Whats ringette ?
The graveyard for broken hockey sticks...
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

PASTRAPIDSFAN wrote:Whats ringette ?
It is played with a big ring (PUCK), on ice and with pokers (sticks).
Canadian girls (and some US) played it prior to playing hockey in large #'s.

The Canadian girls I saw play were quite good. Tossing the ring across the ice and stopping it dead with their pokers.
Madman Riley

Post by Madman Riley »

Never saw a ringette game. Sounds rather novel.
Too bad 'pistol' missed the boys high school HOCKEY tournament this year.
Or maybe he just slept through it.

Wasn't the best I've ever seen.
Will watch again.
High school hockey is the most enjoyable level of a wonderful sport to watch -- whether a given tournament is boring or not.
pucknut87

Worst State tourny in a while?

Post by pucknut87 »

WITH OUT A DOUBT! any time a south team wins it is a lousy tourny! and then to top it all...Roseau couldnt complete the perfect season.ugh two games away
pistol

Post by pistol »

Lou Nanne said many times both privately and publicly that Hill played the best he ever has seen in a Minnesota High School tourney. In fact, he said that before returning to his home in Edina, while he visits Hockeytown, USA, he is a Hill-Murray Pioneer fan.

If I can paraphrase Bill Lechner... Lou Nanne knows hockey... the Pioneers listen to Lou Nanne...

The haters and the bored? Not so much.
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

pistol wrote: In fact, he said that before returning to his home in Edina, while he visits Hockeytown, USA, he is a Hill-Murray Pioneer fan.
What was Lou doing in Warroad. :wink: Lou switches loyalty to teams faster than Slappy. "Up for Grabs" 4A and AA knows it!
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Lou is taking the necessary courses to convert to Catholicism.

He has become a big fan of the Catholics after '06 and '08 and wants to be a part of the movement.

However, he still doesn't hold a candle to slapshooter when it comes to adjusting his loyalties as changing circumstances dictate. " The Great One" has that distinction all sewn up. Just like he said. :wink:
Hillhockey000

Post by Hillhockey000 »

I disagree... Since 1975, 04' and 81' are the only ones I'd say were uninteresting...
STATE CHAMPS!!! I want on that boat.
toivo22

Post by toivo22 »

pistol wrote:Lou Nanne said many times both privately and publicly that Hill played the best he ever has seen in a Minnesota High School tourney. In fact, he said that before returning to his home in Edina, while he visits Hockeytown, USA, he is a Hill-Murray Pioneer fan.

If I can paraphrase Bill Lechner... Lou Nanne knows hockey... the Pioneers listen to Lou Nanne...

The haters and the bored? Not so much.
lou nanne is retarded. if he says that this years hill team is the best team he has ever seen in the tourny, then you and him are stupid. this years hill team wouldn't compete most years.
pistol

Post by pistol »

toivo22 wrote:lou nanne is retarded... you and him are stupid. this years hill team wouldn't compete most years.
Hey, Bizarro, if that's the case then the three of us are right where we belong... here in this stupid thread. If anyone at the sold out, state record for any hockey game, amateur or pro, crowd wants to give up their tickets for next year's Hill-Murray championship game, just pm me.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

pistol wrote:
toivo22 wrote:lou nanne is retarded... you and him are stupid. this years hill team wouldn't compete most years.
Hey, Bizarro, if that's the case then the three of us are right where we belong... here in this stupid thread. If anyone at the sold out, state record for any hockey game, amateur or pro, crowd wants to give up their tickets for next year's Hill-Murray championship game, just pm me.
Bizarro? I didnt know you were a Bizarro fan.

pistol

Post by pistol »

Me am!
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

pistol wrote:Me am!
Never doubted it for a second...
The only soft spot I see is the one between my legs
BIAFP

Post by BIAFP »

pistol wrote:I, Me, I, Me, I, Me!

Typical Hill mentality :lol:
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

BIAFP wrote:

Pistol left out winner. :wink:
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Gotta give credit where credit is due.
Hill beat Roseau and Edina.
Before state, nobody would have bet on that.
Well, maybe a couple of people would have. :)
Congrats again and enjoy.
The bullseye will be yours next year.
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Pioneerprideguy wrote:
BIAFP wrote:

Pistol left out winner. :wink:
More like "One Year Wonder" :lol:
Hill played great, as an old Dman, I really appreciated what the Dman core did all weekend. Awesome D :!:
As Roseau found out, it will be tough next year for the Private Eastsiders...
Grindin is right, the bullseye will be on their back all year, tough going :?:
pistol

Post by pistol »

Wouldn't have it any other way... here's to a big fat bulleye on Hill's back for years and years to come.

We am winners.
slapshooter

7,505th post by SS since Feb 27th 2002~what'd I tell p-boy?~

Post by slapshooter »

=P~ :arrow: Bandwagon Schmandwagon! :arrow: :^o <~~ APeman Jr. aka pispImageImager

=P~ :arrow: I spoke with packerb [-o< y shortly after Roseau crushed whoever they beat in the quarterfinal, you know, what's their names?, :arrow: :-k

=P~ :arrow: and expressed to him how fitting it would be for Phillippi to "GRAB" the 'TITLE' and look what happened!
:lol: 8) :lol:

=P~ :arrow: Just like I said! :arrow: Image Image Image and p-boy knows it
=P~ :arrow: SImageS :arrow: UNDEFEATED :arrow: 2ImageImage8 :arrow: (...a legend in his Imagewn miImagend ...) Image
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Its true.

"The Great One" has been all over this from early on. He said that the
HM/ Roseau game would be a 4 goal spread and he was correct, as usual.

Everything turned out....well, just like he said :lol:
pistol

Post by pistol »

traitorboy=slaplapdog