Letter to Editor re: Hill-Murray

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:07 pm

DmanDad1980 wrote:
watchdog wrote:playing a physical style game is a game plan and it worked very well. i dont think hill was dirty about it they just played hard and did whatever it took to win.
I don't think Hill played dirty either, w/ the exception of the cross-check in the back at the end of the period. No place for that in the game. Ever...
I wasn't there, but I was told that Ness slashed Kohls just prior to the cross check. Either way it was a cheap shot. It wasn't intent to injur however and he did get a penalty. Hill fans weren't happy either because the last thing we needed then was Roseau on the power play. As usual, the television catches the retaliation.

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:14 pm

Sparlimb wrote:
DmanDad1980 wrote:
watchdog wrote:playing a physical style game is a game plan and it worked very well. i dont think hill was dirty about it they just played hard and did whatever it took to win.
I don't think Hill played dirty either, w/ the exception of the cross-check in the back at the end of the period. No place for that in the game. Ever...
I wasn't there, but I was told that Ness slashed Kohls just prior to the cross check. Either way it was a cheap shot. It wasn't intent to injur however and he did get a penalty. Hill fans weren't happy either because the last thing we needed then was Roseau on the power play. As usual, the television catches the retaliation.
Was there, didn't see the slash...
Awesome display of Dman hockey all weekend, not dirty, physical, can't say pretty, but very effective and efficient. Best team won tourney...

Muley still has his beer goggles on... :roll: ... :lol:

SiouxRecruit

Post by SiouxRecruit » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:08 am

mulefarm wrote:I thought it was more a push in the back and a dive by Ness.
You would think that.... :roll:
Catch me On YouTube @ FishOnLuke

pioneers

Post by pioneers » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:16 am

So has this guy actually heard of open enrollment????? Kids can go to any school they want. Before open enrollment they cried H-M had an unfair advantage. They put in open enrollment and they cry that H-M has an unfair advantage.
If he is so enomared with the poor little northern schools, why doesn't he move to Roseau? I'll bet there are a lot of northern schools that hate Roseau because they get beat by them all the time.
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions

Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:52 am

I have looked at the film of this play over & over & I noticed something. If you look closer, you see that Kohls was skating behind Ness, minding himself, and holding the stick with both hands as the first period was coming to an end. Just then, Ness stops skating, throws himself against Kohls' stick, and does a fish out of water flop on the ice. The crowd roars as the tiny kid from the tiny town looked as if he was assaulted in the alley by a big bad thug from the inner city. Kohls did his time without arguing (classy move) & everything worked in the end. :)

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:10 am

Pioneerprideguy wrote:
I have looked at the film of this play over & over & I noticed something. If you look closer, you see that Kohls was skating behind Ness, minding himself, and holding the stick with both hands as the first period was coming to an end. Just then, Ness stops skating, throws himself against Kohls' stick, and does a fish out of water flop on the ice. The crowd roars as the tiny kid from the tiny town looked as if he was assaulted in the alley by a big bad thug from the inner city. Kohls did his time without arguing (classy move) & everything worked in the end. :)
Dang, refs, can't see worth a darn!
:D
Now, if that Kohl kid had been Lutheran they would got it right.
:D
Fortunately, Kohl is not irish or they would have booted him.

packerboy

Post by packerboy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:34 am

Thanks Ppg for your unbiased account of what actually occurred.

Its good to get some objectivity into the discussion in these days of partisan hockey fans who accomplish nothing but gridlock.

Cleary, the refs were wearing flannel under their stripes which caused them to call all of those penalties on HM.

But you have to understand that a lot of the posters who complain about HM's play thought they were tuning into the year end Squirt Jamboree.

Yup, there was a misprint in the TV guide section of some of the newsapapers up north so when they adjusted their coat hangers that serve as the TV antennas to tune in the game, they were confused. Its even more distorted when its in black and white.

So, keep that in mind and try to be fair.

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:43 am

When I saw the crosscheck on Ness I immediately thought dive. After seeing the replay, he merely embellished.
The only soft spot I see is the one between my legs

BIAFP

Post by BIAFP » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:15 am

Pioneerprideguy wrote:

You may want to consider Lasik surgery :roll:

packerboy

Post by packerboy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:21 am

BIAFP wrote:
Pioneerprideguy wrote:

This is coming from a guy who watchd the game on this:

Doesnt even have the coat hanger antenna connected.
Last edited by packerboy on Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:38 am

packerboy wrote:
BIAFP wrote:
Pioneerprideguy wrote:

This is coming from a guy who watchd the game on this:

Doesnt even have the coat hanger antenna connected.
Have to admire the fine flannel head craftsmanship on the wood work...it's so detailed!! :lol:

BIAFP

Post by BIAFP » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:43 am

The flagrant cross-check from behind should have been a 5 minute major and a game DQ. Seeing that those two blind refs from Edina only called about 5% of the flagrant fouls on Hill it's not suprising that they screwed this up as well. :shock:

packerboy

Post by packerboy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am

BIAFP wrote:The flagrant cross-check from behind should have been a 5 minute major and a game DQ. Seeing that those two blind refs from Edina only called about 5% of the flagrant fouls on Hill it's not suprising that they screwed this up as well. :shock:
I'd throw in a penalty shot too. :wink:

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am

BIAFP wrote:The flagrant cross-check from behind should have been a 5 minute major and a game DQ. Seeing that those two blind refs from Edina only called about 5% of the flagrant fouls on Hill it's not suprising that they screwed this up as well. :shock:
I think Eddie Shore is turning in his grave. I'm just happy Hill was able to put on the foil and bring the game back to its roots.

Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:58 am

BIAFP wrote:
Pioneerprideguy wrote:

I'll make a deal with ya, I'll go see the Wizard for my eyes, if you go see him for courage & a brain. :lol: Maybe we could even grab an apple along the way. :)

sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:07 pm

the journey begins!

The Road from St. Paul to The Wizard of Oz, Part 1
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

packerboy

Post by packerboy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:18 pm

And when you get to see the Wizard, er..ah, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. :lol:

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:20 pm

Pioneerprideguy wrote:
BIAFP wrote:
Pioneerprideguy wrote:

I'll make a deal with ya, I'll go see the Wizard for my eyes, if you go see him for courage & a brain. :lol: Maybe we could even grab an apple along the way. :)
Hey! You guys, why don't ya pick up Angus on the way, he could use a heart. :P
Last edited by Can't Never Tried on Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pioneers

Post by pioneers » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:29 pm

packerboy wrote:And when you get to see the Wizard, er..ah, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. :lol:

Is that Lechner behind the curtain?
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:30 pm

pioneers wrote:
packerboy wrote:And when you get to see the Wizard, er..ah, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. :lol:

Nope it's Ness! :lol:

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:10 pm

packerboy wrote:Thanks Ppg for your unbiased account of what actually occurred.

Its good to get some objectivity into the discussion in these days of partisan hockey fans who accomplish nothing but gridlock.

Cleary, the refs were wearing flannel under their stripes which caused them to call all of those penalties on HM.

But you have to understand that a lot of the posters who complain about HM's play thought they were tuning into the year end Squirt Jamboree.

Yup, there was a misprint in the TV guide section of some of the newsapapers up north so when they adjusted their coat hangers that serve as the TV antennas to tune in the game, they were confused. Its even more distorted when its in black and white.

So, keep that in mind and try to be fair.
The refs that did the HM - Roso game were wearing collars under their striped collars.

Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:10 pm

Can't Never Tried wrote:
pioneers wrote:

Nope it's Ness! :lol:
He must be watching tape of Hill to see how they man-handled him so easily. :lol:

BIAFP

Post by BIAFP » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:24 pm

Pioneerprideguy wrote:

Already have more than enough of both thanks :lol:

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:24 pm

This was an earlier clip with Hill and white and Roseau in Green.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua9u8-WGHFY

Dazed&Confused

Post by Dazed&Confused » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:33 pm

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:59 pm Post subject: Letter to Editor re: Hill-Murray

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI - This appeared in the St. Paul Pioneer Press Letters to the Editor section today (3-20-0.

TEAM COMPOSITION

A March 17 letter asserted that Hill-Murray should be lauded for its hockey tradition ("same teams, perhaps, but with new players"). The reason nobody wants Hill-Murray to win is how their teams have been built. Most metro-area public school districts are about 36 miles square or less. School teams are at the top of community efforts and much work by neighborhood people. Edina teams are community teams, nurtured by their very successful neighborhood feeder programs.

Hill-Murray teams are all-star conglomerations of star players recruited and drawn from many east metro neighborhoods, weakening all the other teams around them by using those communities' best players against their home schools.

Hill-Murray is known for rough play. The Friday crowd booed the refs not calling penalties on Hill-Murray, one man yelling "Which game are you watching?"

As we were leaving, a man said to his friend, "The first game was great, the second was thuggery."

Tom Dolen, Shoreview

Mr Dolen, First you should know the facts before spewing that dribble.
My son helped his teammates win that tourney. They all work very hard and where dedicated to each other and thier school. Those players are not recruited. It has been a long time dream for my son to play for Hill Murray I and My wife spend every extra dime we have to keep his tuition paid. The fact you can afford the paper tells me your economic standing is most likely brighter than ours.
Thuggery that is just silly. I did not see anything different about the style. The Pioneers played games all year that where as rough and physical as that championship series. Ask the boys from White Bear.
By the way the best game and team we faced all year. They are a class orginization. Love the Bears.
What you saw earlier this month was a team that had depth , speed, stamina, will, skill, desire, and a Coach that knew enough to let the boys do what they do best.
Congrats Pioneers!!!! 2008 State Champions!!