Letter to Editor re: Hill-Murray

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BIAFP

Post by BIAFP » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:28 pm

Dazed&Confused wrote:Only one game is remembered and you are correct the Rams did win last year and I hope we will see them next year. Its going to be a tough road for the Pioneers once again all the best players are graduating. Oh thats right Roseau is in the same boat. The season isnt two weeks old and I am already looking ahead with a smile.

And Roseau will replace them with Roseau kids and Hill will replace them with the best money can buy :roll:

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:29 pm

Dazed&Confused wrote:Only one game is remembered and you are correct the Rams did win last year and I hope we will see them next year. Its going to be a tough road for the Pioneers once again all the best players are graduating. Oh thats right Roseau is in the same boat. The season isnt two weeks old and I am already looking ahead with a smile.
I'm looking forward to seeing the Roseau women at the bar again!

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:31 pm

BIAFP wrote:

And Roseau will replace them with Roseau kids and Hill will replace them with the best money can buy :roll:
Hill doesn't buy the team, the families buy into Hill!

AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:35 pm

Elvis wrote:
What bar were you in - I thought they were not very attractive. :roll:

AY 8)

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:42 pm

AngusYoung wrote:
Elvis wrote:
What bar were you in - I thought they were not very attractive. :roll:

AY 8)
The one the bus takes you to, where the waitresses dance with the beer sign while not wearing many clothes. The name slips my mind right now.

Dazed&Confused

Post by Dazed&Confused » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:44 pm

Angus drink more next time. Its remarkable how attractive women can be. Or for FBPIA those farm animals.

AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:45 pm

That would be Alary's. I was in attendance there the night the Rams lost to the Pioneers and all I saw(although it was tough to take my eyes off of the staff :shock: ) were some liquor pigs from Roseau that were no prizes.

AY 8)

Dazed&Confused

Post by Dazed&Confused » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:48 pm

Did you read that FBPIA Pigs at Alarys I would leave soon before the guys from Tartan get all the good ones.
Last edited by Dazed&Confused on Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:49 pm

Perhaps I thought the staff was from Roseau! Or Roseau was from the staff. Regardless, I was impressed with the Roseau Cougars.

pioneers

Post by pioneers » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:51 pm

rams80 wrote:
Pioneerprideguy wrote:
rams80 wrote:
Pioneerprideguy wrote:
rams80 wrote:Somebody get this clown a tissue :roll:
I'd suggest getting a tissue from a Roseau fan, but I'm sure they already ran out. :wink:
2007 and 2008 State Tournaments

Rams - 6 games at the X and two trophies
Pioneers- 4 games at the X and one trophy :lol:
HM 6 - Roseau 2 :-$

Roseau - 7 State Titles :lol: Hail Mary - 17 years since the last one :lol:
Well Roseau had a 29 year stretch with no titles. If you look at the stats since 1975 when H-M became eligible to play in the MSHSL tournament, the both have the same number of titles.
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions

AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:52 pm

Dazed&Confused wrote:Did you read that FBPIA Pigs at Alarys I would leave soon before the guys from Tartan get all the good ones.
Not familiar with that language - care to elaborate?

AY 8)

pioneers

Post by pioneers » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:53 pm

AngusYoung wrote:That would be Alary's. I was in attendance there the night the Rams lost to the Pioneers and all I saw(although it was tough to take my eyes off of the staff :shock: ) were some liquor pigs from Roseau that were no prizes.

AY 8)
Did you know that Alary's now has two web cams set up behind the bar?
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:56 pm

pioneers wrote:
AngusYoung wrote:That would be Alary's. I was in attendance there the night the Rams lost to the Pioneers and all I saw(although it was tough to take my eyes off of the staff :shock: ) were some liquor pigs from Roseau that were no prizes.

AY 8)
Did you know that Alary's now has two web cams set up behind the bar?
what angle?

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:21 pm

Dazed&Confused wrote:Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:59 pm Post subject: Letter to Editor re: Hill-Murray

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI - This appeared in the St. Paul Pioneer Press Letters to the Editor section today (3-20-0.

TEAM COMPOSITION

A March 17 letter asserted that Hill-Murray should be lauded for its hockey tradition ("same teams, perhaps, but with new players"). The reason nobody wants Hill-Murray to win is how their teams have been built. Most metro-area public school districts are about 36 miles square or less. School teams are at the top of community efforts and much work by neighborhood people. Edina teams are community teams, nurtured by their very successful neighborhood feeder programs.

Hill-Murray teams are all-star conglomerations of star players recruited and drawn from many east metro neighborhoods, weakening all the other teams around them by using those communities' best players against their home schools.

Hill-Murray is known for rough play. The Friday crowd booed the refs not calling penalties on Hill-Murray, one man yelling "Which game are you watching?"

As we were leaving, a man said to his friend, "The first game was great, the second was thuggery."

Tom Dolen, Shoreview

Mr Dolen, First you should know the facts before spewing that dribble.
My son helped his teammates win that tourney. They all work very hard and where dedicated to each other and thier school. Those players are not recruited. It has been a long time dream for my son to play for Hill Murray I and My wife spend every extra dime we have to keep his tuition paid. The fact you can afford the paper tells me your economic standing is most likely brighter than ours.
Thuggery that is just silly. I did not see anything different about the style. The Pioneers played games all year that where as rough and physical as that championship series. Ask the boys from White Bear.
By the way the best game and team we faced all year. They are a class orginization. Love the Bears.
What you saw earlier this month was a team that had depth , speed, stamina, will, skill, desire, and a Coach that knew enough to let the boys do what they do best.
Congrats Pioneers!!!! 2008 State Champions!!
No real name Dazed & Confused :?:
Mr. Dolen had no worries about that...

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:31 pm

Don't worry D & C... There may be time to find a couple more for next year... No recruiting obviously, but take a look at the Team Rosters for the following Bantam teams and you may find a couple more...

Take a look at the Bantam team rosters of Stillwater, NSP, Mounds View, Hudson, Woodbury, Tartan, White Bear Lake, Forest Lake, Johnson, Centennial, Roseville,...

Did you find a couple? :lol:

Oh that's right, you are already smiling... :wink:

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:00 pm

Some members of the championship team DID transfer in, so its uncertain if the new rules will have an effect on Hill/Murrays ability to reload with the ease that they have done in the past. Make no mistake, they will always be good, but maybe not as elite.

Most of Centennials catholic kids stay home, those who don't go to Totino, and the kids who get kicked out go to White Bear. :lol: Hill isn't in the picture.

The more of Pioneerprideguys posts I read, the more I appreciate Sparlimb.
The only soft spot I see is the one between my legs

save1

Cheap Shot

Post by save1 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:12 pm

mulefarm wrote:I thought it was more a push in the back and a dive by Ness.
I was 5 rows from the rink where that cross check occurred. It was clearly a cheap shot and not a dive. Let Mr. Dolen piss and moan all he wants along with the others, Hill Murray's rough style of play simply knocked Roseau out of the game. In the end, Roseau was no match to Hill Murray on that night.
Last edited by save1 on Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

save1

No Recruits

Post by save1 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:19 pm

Can't Never Tried wrote:
Dazed&Confused wrote:Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:59 pm Post subject: Letter to Editor re: Hill-Murray

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI - This appeared in the St. Paul Pioneer Press Letters to the Editor section today (3-20-0.

TEAM COMPOSITION

A March 17 letter asserted that Hill-Murray should be lauded for its hockey tradition ("same teams, perhaps, but with new players"). The reason nobody wants Hill-Murray to win is how their teams have been built. Most metro-area public school districts are about 36 miles square or less. School teams are at the top of community efforts and much work by neighborhood people. Edina teams are community teams, nurtured by their very successful neighborhood feeder programs.

Hill-Murray teams are all-star conglomerations of star players recruited and drawn from many east metro neighborhoods, weakening all the other teams around them by using those communities' best players against their home schools.

Hill-Murray is known for rough play. The Friday crowd booed the refs not calling penalties on Hill-Murray, one man yelling "Which game are you watching?"

As we were leaving, a man said to his friend, "The first game was great, the second was thuggery."

Tom Dolen, Shoreview

My son helped his teammates win that tourney. They all work very hard and where dedicated to each other and thier school. Those players are not recruited. It has been a long time dream for my son to play for Hill Murray I and My wife spend every extra dime we have to keep his tuition paid. The fact you can afford the paper tells me your economic standing is most likely brighter than ours.
Thuggery that is just silly. I did not see anything different about the style. The Pioneers played games all year that where as rough and physical as that championship series. Ask the boys from White Bear.
By the way the best game and team we faced all year. They are a class orginization. Love the Bears.
What you saw earlier this month was a team that had depth , speed, stamina, will, skill, desire, and a Coach that knew enough to let the boys do what they do best.
And a loyal parent! :D

Are you sure none are recruited? :wink:
I am unbiased when it comes to High School Hockey. It would appear that most aren't when a private school wins the championship. That being said, I find it interesting you say they recruit, but yet offer no evidence of how it is being done. Just because they are from different cities doesn't indicate they are recruiting. Do some research and actually have a point when making a reference that has not factual basis.

Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:38 pm

Neutron 14 wrote:Some members of the championship team DID transfer in, so its uncertain if the new rules will have an effect on Hill/Murrays ability to reload with the ease that they have done in the past. Make no mistake, they will always be good, but maybe not as elite.

Most of Centennials catholic kids stay home, those who don't go to Totino, and the kids who get kicked out go to White Bear. :lol: Hill isn't in the picture.

The more of Pioneerprideguys posts I read, the more I appreciate Sparlimb.[/
quote]

Ouch, and here I thought I was winning ya over. :cry: I don't know for sure, but Sparlimb isn't an Alum, is he? I doubt it because he isn't obnoxious & cocky enough. He is way to partial & takes people's feelings on here more serious than us Pioneer People.

As for your cougars, it will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of years. People have to be disappointed with how the season went & most importantly, how it ended. Can't remember seeing a #1 seed play so poorly & seem so less interested in a section final. If they fail to make it to St. Paul a few more times, I suspect their top end talent will begin to look elsewhere to finish up their high school eligibility. At that point, people won't be so disappointed because they won't ever be handed the top seed & leave the coliseum embarrassed again.

Can't Never Tried

Re: No Recruits

Post by Can't Never Tried » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:32 pm

save1 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:

TEAM COMPOSITION

Tom Dolen, Shoreview

And a loyal parent! :D

Are you sure none are recruited? :wink:
I am unbiased when it comes to High School Hockey. It would appear that most aren't when a private school wins the championship. That being said, I find it interesting you say they recruit, but yet offer no evidence of how it is being done. Just because they are from different cities doesn't indicate they are recruiting. Do some research and actually have a point when making a reference that has not factual basis.
Notice the wink there Mr. new guy? :roll:

It was actually a compliment to a parent for a decent post.
I've been around this bored long enough, and as far as facts, read a little of the bored before ya come on and try and trash me...most know where I'm coming from, and you new guys....well welcome to the bored! :lol:
I could care less if they got the Pope to play for em, they played a great tourney and deserved the win! Happy now! :roll:

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:23 am

Hey, CANT.
They do recruit.
they have a brouchure, a web page...
they recruit...
but not many of us old 'bored' guys, think twice about it...
BIAFP, perhaps, but not all of us.
:D

Hockeyguy_27

Post by Hockeyguy_27 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:02 pm

To say private schools recruit implies they are underhanded and not playing by the rules, I'm a public school guy and don't see it this way. Most of the coaches who I know at the larger private schools are people of integrity and play within the rules. Seemingly every year when a private school wins, they are accused of cheating and yet there are never any specifics associated with these allegations. Has it ever occurred to anyone that the players on private school rosters actually approached these schools by themselves?

Secondly, the best team did win the AA state tournament but I'm getting a little tired of hearing Hill fans claim their Pioneers didn't play like thugs (particularly in the Roseau game) THEY DID.--and no matter how you look at it, the cheap shots after the whistle given to Ness etc... were uncalled for. I guess it worked and if the refs are loose with their calls, I say the game plan was executed to perfection and effective.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:40 pm

I am not a HM fan, but to say they played like thugs, no way. They played physical and weren't intimidated by Roseau. They out skated Roseau and showed a lot more will to win. The better team won that game. Please no more excuses for Roseau.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:30 pm

Hockey guy - HM recruits students, they are open about it. They have an active recruiting committee.

HM recruits. So big deal. They recruit. It has nothing to do with integrity or anyother BS. It has to do with putting what they offer out there and they do. They do a good job of it.

Mule - yes I agree (with your name).
Nearly everyone that watches the games for what they aresaw that HM was playing physically. Nearly everyone saw that the refs were not going to call things tight and nealry everyone saw that HM was using this to their advantage. Was it thuggery? Matter of definition/splitting hairs, but they were not altar boys, some may same dirty, some may say cheap, some may say they just took what they were given.
And your opinion took a noise dive when you use the out-skated Roso line. Sorry, but must of us will by-pass your opinions in the future.

The 'best' teams do not always win (CC vs Gophers just recently). The champions do. In this case HM did it twice and are the champs. For those of us that watch hockey, congrats.
But don't tell us what we saw. We know what we saw.

:D

Dazed&Confused

Post by Dazed&Confused » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:41 pm

What I saw! Was a Goalie named Lee that kept the game tight. If not for his performance and #27 I believe The score could have been 12 -2
What I saw was an overated team that was overconfident waiting for someone else to win it for them. Dont pick on the Gophs they also deserved to win that game. All a team needs to do is be better on that night period.