Letter to Editor re: Hill-Murray

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:32 pm

must be something about the Xcel ice that is transforming pioneers. Look for hoeffel to have another big game
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:54 pm

So elliot, it was okay for the Roseau players to run the HM goalie numerous times during the game and no call was made, even after the goal was disallowed? Wasn't the ruling "Goalie Interference"? Hill dished it out and took the punishment, What was the final penalty total for Hill? Kohls took a shot at Ness but paid the price, he also was on FIRE the rest of the game 2 short handed breakaways on the same shift! Hill Murray is a talented team they have many players that skated on the 90 and 91 Blades teams, so don't you think those guys wanted to play with each other after all the summer tournaments they were in together? Widing, Kohls, Zepeda, Kelly and Johnson all played for the 91 Blades since peewee age. Which is one of the only Blades teams to win the Prospects Tourney in Toronto so to say they aren't the best team is crap. Roseau plays the "poor us we are so far away why should we travel to play the big city teams" game. Well the tourney shows why you should, they did not know how to handle a big, physical, well coached hockey team. Read The Hockey News story, Oliver is still throwing out excuses...Lee stretched his groin the previous game. Rumor also that Ness was banged up in the game with Blaine but I'm sure that was Hills fault too. The guy never gives Hill credit for his lack of coaching, the guy road the pine as a coach, and by that I mean he had a good team and never had to make adjustments through out the year but when it came down to it he just stood on the bench and did his little scowl or whatever he was doing with his mouth. The guy got out coached against Hill and his team of babies got out played by BSM.

Also another fact both Hill and St Thomas have 90% of thier players train at IMPACT/FHIT hockey. Says something about thier program.

Yes Hill Murray RECRUITS STUDENTS the hockey players go there to win. Yet of the parents of players I know they have been talking about going to Hill since Peewee age.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:03 pm

Dazed&Confused wrote:What I saw! Was a Goalie named Lee that kept the game tight. If not for his performance and #27 I believe The score could have been 12 -2
What I saw was an overated team that was overconfident waiting for someone else to win it for them. Dont pick on the Gophs they also deserved to win that game. All a team needs to do is be better on that night period.
That's exactly what I am saying.

Great for the Gophers, but how many would have picked them?
Even if the same two teams played today.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:09 pm

Pucknutz69 wrote:So elliot, it was okay for the Roseau players to run the HM goalie numerous times during the game and no call was made, even after the goal was disallowed? Wasn't the ruling "Goalie Interference"? Hill dished it out and took the punishment, What was the final penalty total for Hill? Kohls took a shot at Ness but paid the price, he also was on FIRE the rest of the game 2 short handed breakaways on the same shift! Hill Murray is a talented team they have many players that skated on the 90 and 91 Blades teams, so don't you think those guys wanted to play with each other after all the summer tournaments they were in together? Widing, Kohls, Zepeda, Kelly and Johnson all played for the 91 Blades since peewee age. Which is one of the only Blades teams to win the Prospects Tourney in Toronto so to say they aren't the best team is crap. Roseau plays the "poor us we are so far away why should we travel to play the big city teams" game. Well the tourney shows why you should, they did not know how to handle a big, physical, well coached hockey team. Read The Hockey News story, Oliver is still throwing out excuses...Lee stretched his groin the previous game. Rumor also that Ness was banged up in the game with Blaine but I'm sure that was Hills fault too. The guy never gives Hill credit for his lack of coaching, the guy road the pine as a coach, and by that I mean he had a good team and never had to make adjustments through out the year but when it came down to it he just stood on the bench and did his little scowl or whatever he was doing with his mouth. The guy got out coached against Hill and his team of babies got out played by BSM.

Also another fact both Hill and St Thomas have 90% of thier players train at IMPACT/FHIT hockey. Says something about thier program.

Yes Hill Murray RECRUITS STUDENTS the hockey players go there to win. Yet of the parents of players I know they have been talking about going to Hill since Peewee age.

So you understand it, too.
They recruit, big deal. They always have, private schools recruit students.

the goalie interference call could not be called running hte goalie. It took them enought time to figure it out on replay. Running the goalie is pretty easy to see in real time. They got the call right. Big deal. It changed the momentum, but again, they got the call right. They did no tcall runnin ghte goalie (as you stated) they called the interference and that was that. Momentum gone, HM goes on and wins again.
Hurrah!!

None of the hockey people on the 'bored' and elsewhere are debating it.
We have a state tournament to crown a champion and it did.

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:18 pm

I have been offline for a while with a lot of work between the two jobs and my kid. A lot of talk on here about recruiting and thuggery. As for the thuggery, HM played an aggressive and physical game. Took Roseau out of their game and won. During the game, HM got called for many penalties and still came out on top. Look at their bench, disciplined and well coached. That is why they won.
As far as the recruiting, yes private schools recruit STUDENTS, that is how their enrollment goes up. These STUDENTS are also athletes that were brought up in a PRIVATE hockey association, not the PUBLIC school association. The new open enrollment rules were put in place, not because of hockey, but more because basketball showed poor judgment in their recruiting. Look at St. Paul Central, Hopkins, Kennedy and Richfield just to name a few. Oh then there was a team called Eastview in hockey, kids from Cali playing HS hockey in MN. Come on.....

Anyway, HM won and they were the better team that weekend. Congrats to them. After all My AHA team beat them.....

To show more of how the better team wins, look at today in the NCAA tounament. Duke loses to WV in the second round. I suppose WV were thugs and beat them......

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm

Zamman wrote:I have been offline for a while with a lot of work between the two jobs and my kid. A lot of talk on here about recruiting and thuggery. As for the thuggery, HM played an aggressive and physical game. Took Roseau out of their game and won. During the game, HM got called for many penalties and still came out on top. Look at their bench, disciplined and well coached. That is why they won.
As far as the recruiting, yes private schools recruit STUDENTS, that is how their enrollment goes up. These STUDENTS are also athletes that were brought up in a PRIVATE hockey association, not the PUBLIC school association. The new open enrollment rules were put in place, not because of hockey, but more because basketball showed poor judgment in their recruiting. Look at St. Paul Central, Hopkins, Kennedy and Richfield just to name a few. Oh then there was a team called Eastview in hockey, kids from Cali playing HS hockey in MN. Come on.....

Anyway, HM won and they were the better team that weekend. Congrats to them. After all My AHA team beat them.....

To show more of how the better team wins, look at today in the NCAA tounament. Duke loses to WV in the second round. I suppose WV were thugs and beat them......
Another 'bored' member gets it.
But of course we already knew zamman got it, even if he is an AHA, private school guy. :D

chiefofmedicine

Post by chiefofmedicine » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:40 am

we all know that HM is just full of tools, but the way they played they deserved to win, lets just get over it.

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:41 am

Pucknutz69 wrote:So elliot, it was okay for the Roseau players to run the HM goalie numerous times during the game and no call was made, even after the goal was disallowed? Wasn't the ruling "Goalie Interference"? Hill dished it out and took the punishment, What was the final penalty total for Hill? Kohls took a shot at Ness but paid the price, he also was on FIRE the rest of the game 2 short handed breakaways on the same shift! Hill Murray is a talented team they have many players that skated on the 90 and 91 Blades teams, so don't you think those guys wanted to play with each other after all the summer tournaments they were in together? Widing, Kohls, Zepeda, Kelly and Johnson all played for the 91 Blades since peewee age. Which is one of the only Blades teams to win the Prospects Tourney in Toronto so to say they aren't the best team is crap. Roseau plays the "poor us we are so far away why should we travel to play the big city teams" game. Well the tourney shows why you should, they did not know how to handle a big, physical, well coached hockey team. Read The Hockey News story, Oliver is still throwing out excuses...Lee stretched his groin the previous game. Rumor also that Ness was banged up in the game with Blaine but I'm sure that was Hills fault too. The guy never gives Hill credit for his lack of coaching, the guy road the pine as a coach, and by that I mean he had a good team and never had to make adjustments through out the year but when it came down to it he just stood on the bench and did his little scowl or whatever he was doing with his mouth. The guy got out coached against Hill and his team of babies got out played by BSM.

Easy Killer...

As said many times before, the best team won the tourney.

But give some cred to the prior year, you are forgeting that an Oliver coached team, a team from the North won the tourney easily. That team was Roseau. Please don't give me the tourney was down, and all that sh_t.
Also, remember that your beloved Pioneers were 2 and BarBQ last year... Hill had a very good team last year. Roseau had a very good team this year. Things happen, good teams lose, good players have bad games, Ness definitely did not have the jump on Friday & Saturday that he had on Thursday. Phillipi has never played well at State, last year included, and this year he played brillantly.

Recruiting is what it is. The Private schools have to get a majority of their enrollment, kids from Public schools to pay the bills, and keep the school moving forward. We all get that. But try to also see the mixed feelings the public schools have, looking to their home town associations for the kids coming up. Communities have pride in their kids, and when the kids leave their basketball and hockey associations to play at a private school, there is a feeling of loss, and hurt pride of community. Isn't our school good enough for the kids? Too many times parents push their kids into these decisions, living the dream through their kids. Its too bad. And its good. There are examples of both.

All I can say is that I really feel sorry for the Stillwater program, a proud hockey town with an excellent boys and girls hockey association. A public HS that has not had the success in the boys HS level they deserve. I am not from there, never lived there, but know that youth association has had great success, only to lose its top end players to private schools. That community has pride. I wish them better results in the future...

chiefofmedicine

Post by chiefofmedicine » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:47 am

what if the kid makes the decision to go to a private school cause he likes smaller classes and more one on one attention? and what about public to public transfer? or private to public like anders lee? STA didnt complain... they just won state

sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:06 am

i gotta ask, who does stillwater keep losing its players to?

HM has one in Casto
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:19 am

DmanDad1980 wrote:

Easy Killer...

But give some cred to the prior year, you are forgeting that an Oliver coached team, a team from the North won the tourney easily. That team was Roseau. Please don't give me the tourney was down, and all that sh_t.
Also, remember that your beloved Pioneers were 2 and BarBQ last year... Hill had a very good team last year. Roseau had a very good team this year. Things happen, good teams lose, good players have bad games, Ness definitely did not have the jump on Friday & Saturday that he had on Thursday. Phillipi has never played well at State, last year included, and this year he played brillantly.

Recruiting is what it is. The Private schools have to get a majority of their enrollment, kids from Public schools to pay the bills, and keep the school moving forward. We all get that. But try to also see the mixed feelings the public schools have, looking to their home town associations for the kids coming up. Communities have pride in their kids, and when the kids leave their basketball and hockey associations to play at a private school, there is a feeling of loss, and hurt pride of community. Isn't our school good enough for the kids? Too many times parents push their kids into these decisions, living the dream through their kids. Its too bad. And its good. There are examples of both.

All I can say is that I really feel sorry for the Stillwater program, a proud hockey town with an excellent boys and girls hockey association. A public HS that has not had the success in the boys HS level they deserve. I am not from there, never lived there, but know that youth association has had great success, only to lose its top end players to private schools. That community has pride. I wish them better results in the future...

Stillwater is a huge school. I remember a year when they won state at football, cross-country and boys soccer (all the same year). Now that takes a lot of elite athletes to win a state title in all boys fall sports in the same year. Every kid they lose to Hill is another spot to be filled by an elite athlete in their school. The other side of your argument is that some kids go to private school throughout their lives, but play in the local association with no expectation they will ever play for the public high school. So you'll see people beely-aching that this guy or that guy left that high school high and dry when that is really changing the story of what really happened. Now I know we've beaten this story to death (recruiting, public vs. private), so I plan to not respond to any more posts on the subject for the rest of the off season. Time to cheer on the Gophers and Wild...

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:23 am

chiefofmedicine wrote:what if the kid makes the decision to go to a private school cause he likes smaller classes and more one on one attention? and what about public to public transfer? or private to public like anders lee? STA didnt complain... they just won state
You're right, its the best reason, and one that the academic student would choose in the private school, but like it or not, a majority of the athlete/athlete's parents are looking for glory in little johnny or susie on the ball field, the football feild, and on the hockey rink...

Although in Minnesota, our public school systems are second to none for education. My hope is that the student and parents are looking for a better education to get to college through the school education route, rather than through athletics. You're odds to a better future are in pursuing a good education, rather than through sports, and IMO, in Minnesota, we can find a good education in both our private and public schools...
Don't get me wrong, I love all sports, played three sports myself in HS and cherish those times, but I know that I am where I am today because of my education.

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:40 am

Sparlimb wrote:
DmanDad1980 wrote:[]

Easy Killer...

Stillwater is a huge school. I remember a year when they won state at football, cross-country and boys soccer (all the same year). Now that takes a lot of elite athletes to win a state title in all boys fall sports in the same year. Every kid they lose to Hill is another spot to be filled by an elite athlete in their school. The other side of your argument is that some kids go to private school throughout their lives, but play in the local association with no expectation they will ever play for the public high school. So you'll see people beely-aching that this guy or that guy left that high school high and dry when that is really changing the story of what really happened. Now I know we've beaten this story to death (recruiting, public vs. private), so I plan to not respond to any more posts on the subject for the rest of the off season. Time to cheer on the Gophers and Wild...
Spar,

I will leave this thread also w/ this final post, so you know where I come from too.
Growing up, all I ever wanted was to play for the town I grew up in. I couldn't wait to follow the footsteps of those older kids that played for the HS of the city I grew up in, with full expectation that I too would don our colors and lead our school to victory.
I did not grow up in the Twin Cities, so I guess that expectation of playing for your cities high school may not mean the same...

Isn't it funny that Stillwater is so dominate in so many other sports over the years, and not in Boys HS Hockey... Funny... :idea:

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:38 am

A lot of winning has to do with the coaching also. Maybe Stillwater has not found the right coach yet? No offense to Housley, but I remember a thread earlier in the year where everyone posting talked about how bad a coach he is....

I know in our area there are a lot of talented players but we lack the right coach to put it all together. I have watched over the past few weeks one of our adult leagues with a team made up of all kids in the local association that played in the high school and they played great and won the league. I know it is not MSHSL but this league if pretty good.

who_b_dat

Post by who_b_dat » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:56 pm

Call it physical or thug hockey. Either way- I love the way Hill played Roso and Edina.

Way too may “purests” out there who want to see nothing but a skating/stick handling affair. Body checking has its place in hockey and Hill’s championship was a timely poke in the eye to all the pansies and modern day rule makers who want to see little Aaron dangle his way around five opposing players going 187’ untouched to get a shot. We already have THAT game. You can see it at Ridder Arena.

Bravo Pie&Ears for reminding us all what a great defensive hockey game looks like! =D>

Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:41 pm

Some of you guys on here talk about Stillwater like they have been a super power in the youth ranks. They have been competitive at best. Lets look at Centennial and WBL and start talking about not living up to expectations before you rip Stillwater and thier coaches. The past 6 years the peewee and bantam state tourneys have been dominated by Centennial and WBL yet I don't see them in the State tournament as High Schools! You are putting the expectations behind Stillwaters coach yet I still haven't seen him skate 1 shift at Stillwater. They are competitive and will play anyone tough, they don't lay down or give games away to anyone.

I also love the way Hill played and am very happy for the kids my son knows and skates with.

stpaul

Letter to the editor

Post by stpaul » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:07 pm

"Hill-Murray teams are all-star conglomerations of star players recruited and drawn from many east metro neighborhoods, weakening all the other teams around them by using those communities' best players against their home schools."

This is the first I saw this. This guy is a weenie. I didn't know that HM kidnaps and brainwashes hockey players. They are like The Borg. He forget to mention that WBL's best player is from Mounds View. He, too, was stolen and is being used against his home school.
Last edited by stpaul on Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chiefofmedicine

Post by chiefofmedicine » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:54 pm

DmanDad1980 wrote:
chiefofmedicine wrote:what if the kid makes the decision to go to a private school cause he likes smaller classes and more one on one attention? and what about public to public transfer? or private to public like anders lee? STA didnt complain... they just won state
You're right, its the best reason, and one that the academic student would choose in the private school, but like it or not, a majority of the athlete/athlete's parents are looking for glory in little johnny or susie on the ball field, the football feild, and on the hockey rink...

Although in Minnesota, our public school systems are second to none for education. My hope is that the student and parents are looking for a better education to get to college through the school education route, rather than through athletics. You're odds to a better future are in pursuing a good education, rather than through sports, and IMO, in Minnesota, we can find a good education in both our private and public schools...
Don't get me wrong, I love all sports, played three sports myself in HS and cherish those times, but I know that I am where I am today because of my education.
true so the parents need to start taking responsibilty and again though its their choice not their communities. i dont agree with it either but its the reality. What a lot of people forget though is private schools HAVE to recruit to survive. going to a very small private school i know this. its just hockey is super competetive so private schools realize in order to get kids you need to have a good hockey program, i know this going to a small school that doesnt have a good program, we dont have many kids. coincidence?? in minnnesota im not so sure

packerboy

Post by packerboy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:58 am

I was at the games so I didnt watch much TV coverage of the tournament but I guess when HM was pounding on Roseau, Lou Nanne said from the broadcast booth:

"The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them! And by golly, if I could get down there, I'd be standing up to them! "

:lol:

Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:52 am

Could it be that HM has become the darlings of Minnesota High School Hockey? The "little engine" that could? The new "America's Team"? I think Lou was on the verge of uttering, "do you believe in miracles" during the Roseau game.

packerboy

Post by packerboy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:02 am

So long as these guys stay on the checking line, they will be very popular.

Lou also said during that game "The fans are on their feet yelling kill, kill ,kill....this is hockey" :lol:

mainefan

Post by mainefan » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:08 am

packerboy wrote:So long as these guys stay on the checking line, they will be very popular.

Lou also said during that game "The fans are on their feet yelling kill, kill ,kill....this is hockey" :lol:

And they went to public school. :wink:

packerboy

Post by packerboy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:30 am

Nope. Public school kids cant do what the Hansons did to start things off right.

See the first few seconds of the clip below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAcere7LL_o

See, we aren't making it up about these Catholic hockey players.

mainefan

Post by mainefan » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:01 am

packerboy wrote:Nope. Public school kids cant do what the Hansons did to start things off right.

See the first few seconds of the clip below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAcere7LL_o

See, we aren't making it up about these Catholic hockey players.

Ah yes, Fiesty Father McDowell ( an ex boxer don't ya know) at Holy Spirit in the old Polish Chapel ;of course, taught them well-many times on Sunday morning after a game at Virginia High School the night before, they would attend mass with the foil still on and get a knowing wink from Father. :lol:

ap4mvp

Post by ap4mvp » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:42 am

packerboy wrote:So long as these guys stay on the checking line, they will be very popular.

greatest movie ever made :!:
If you only knew the power of the dark side!