Select 17

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

davey

Post by davey »

breakout wrote:I thought Pitlick would have made the National List. After all, he was a tryout invitee to Ann Arbor two seasons ago and I believe he had a good 07 - 08 high school hockey season for Centennial.

Did he have a weak tryout?
Maybe because he chose to go to his Junior Prom and missed the 2nd scrimmage. Heaven forbid a kid chooses that over hockey.
breakout

Post by breakout »

davey wrote:
breakout wrote:I thought Pitlick would have made the National List. After all, he was a tryout invitee to Ann Arbor two seasons ago and I believe he had a good 07 - 08 high school hockey season for Centennial.

Maybe because he chose to go to his Junior Prom and missed the 2nd scrimmage. Heaven forbid a kid chooses that over hockey.
Didn't other players have the same challenge? How about going to prom, not staying out extraordinarily late and making it to hockey the next day.

We all make choices.

Maybe his legs got weak due to prom experience(s)? :wink:

Congrats and good luck to those selected.
davey

Post by davey »

breakout wrote:
davey wrote:

Didn't other players have the same challenge? How about going to prom, not staying out extraordinarily late and making it to hockey the next day.

We all make choices.

Maybe his legs got weak due to prom experience(s)? :wink:

Congrats and good luck to those selected.
So Breakout. Your saying that all these kids were picked based on the tryout? If that were the case, how can Nate Schmidt have been chosen for the final 54's. He did not participate due to injury in the 1st weekend. It just seems that there are different standards when it comes to different players. Are most of these kids picked deserving? Absolutely, but there is always those few that seem to get a free pass based on reputations or other extenuating circumstances. I know that there are tough choices in picking this team and there are many deserving kids
breakout

Post by breakout »

Davey, no argument on the Schmidt deal. From what I heard, he didn't play especially well in the 54s. Maybe a reputation pick?

Ryan Reilly proved what I have been telling girls for years ........... size doesn't matter! :D
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

I would think if anything, Pitlick is one of those guys that tend to get the benefit of the doubt (a la Schmidt) in regard to reputation. Especially given he has generally been given a fair amount of publicity in the past for players in his age group. Not sure anybody should complain about that factor with him. He is one of those guys that benefit from that angle more than anything. It is usually the unknowns that play well in tryouts but don't get picked that have the most to be upset about when it comes to reputation choices.
davey

Post by davey »

Gopher Blog wrote:I would think if anything, Pitlick is one of those guys that tend to get the benefit of the doubt (a la Schmidt) in regard to reputation. Especially given he has generally been given a fair amount of publicity in the past for players in his age group. Not sure anybody should complain about that factor with him. He is one of those guys that benefit from that angle more than anything. It is usually the unknowns that play well in tryouts but don't get picked that have the most to be upset about when it comes to reputation choices.
Gopher Blog. I agree with you on Pitlick as getting the benefit of the doubt usually. That is what surprises me that he didn't get picked. Quite a few reputation picks in my estimation over some very deserving less publicized kids
breakout

Post by breakout »

davey wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote:I would think if anything, Pitlick is one of those guys that tend to get the benefit of the doubt (a la Schmidt) in regard to reputation. Especially given he has generally been given a fair amount of publicity in the past for players in his age group. Not sure anybody should complain about that factor with him. He is one of those guys that benefit from that angle more than anything. It is usually the unknowns that play well in tryouts but don't get picked that have the most to be upset about when it comes to reputation choices.
Gopher Blog. I agree with you on Pitlick as getting the benefit of the doubt usually. That is what surprises me that he didn't get picked. Quite a few reputation picks in my estimation over some very deserving less publicized kids
Quite a few reputation picks? Specifically?

I read that Lapic played D in the 54s and gets a forward spot on the National list. Does Lapic belong on the final list .......... probably. Does that look good .......... probably not.
davey

Post by davey »

breakout wrote:
davey wrote:
Quite a few reputation picks? Specifically?

I read that Lapic played D in the 54s and gets a forward spot on the National list. Does Lapic belong on the final list .......... probably. Does that look good .......... probably not.
Not going to call out individuals, but look back to Wireless' assessment in a previous post and you can probably draw some conclusions. Just my opinion that there were other kids as or more deserving than some of these"name" kids. But this happens every year so it is not surprising
mpls hockey guy

Post by mpls hockey guy »

who are the "name" guys and who are the "surprises"
eastranger19

Post by eastranger19 »

Most of the kids are legit. but it's the small amount that get chosen because of the evaluators and how they can market the players, some should'nt have made the 54 list let alone this list, same as the 16's. I said before I heard team coaches and fathers were evaluators for range kids, and maybe even the cities kids, they should not even be involved. Schmidt making it without trying out and Lapic moving to forward after playing Def. the whole tryout is not right, should they be there, yes, they are 2 of the best. Maybe they should list the evaluators and what they base there decisions on, how can you go by stats or how a player does during the season with the different strength of schedules, example Edina's versus Virginia's schedule, night & day. Also suprised Rehkamp & montgomery were not on the list either.I heard some parents of younger kids say they don't even want there kids to tryout anymore it's become such a joke here. Did any of these kids that made it, or even Schmidt an Lapic have fathers or coaches involved in the evaluation? That would be embarrasing for the kids.
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

eastranger19 wrote:Most of the kids are legit. but it's the small amount that get chosen because of the evaluators and how they can market the players, some should'nt have made the 54 list let alone this list, same as the 16's. I said before I heard team coaches and fathers were evaluators for range kids, and maybe even the cities kids, they should not even be involved. Schmidt making it without trying out and Lapic moving to forward after playing Def. the whole tryout is not right, should they be there, yes, they are 2 of the best. Maybe they should list the evaluators and what they base there decisions on, how can you go by stats or how a player does during the season with the different strength of schedules, example Edina's versus Virginia's schedule, night & day. Also suprised Rehkamp & montgomery were not on the list either.I heard some parents of younger kids say they don't even want there kids to tryout anymore it's become such a joke here. Did any of these kids that made it, or even Schmidt an Lapic have fathers or coaches involved in the evaluation? That would be embarrasing for the kids.
That is why I believe that players should never give up on their dream to keep playing, at some point those involved in making the team selection decisions are only looking Skill / talent, strength and size, work ethic, and the right attitude in the players, regardless of who's selling what.
I'm also a firm believer in "show me what you can do today", because I've already heard from someone else what you did in the past.
Seeing is believing! :wink:
cu@darink

Post by cu@darink »

eastranger19 wrote:Most of the kids are legit. but it's the small amount that get chosen because of the evaluators and how they can market the players, some should'nt have made the 54 list let alone this list, same as the 16's. I said before I heard team coaches and fathers were evaluators for range kids, and maybe even the cities kids, they should not even be involved. Schmidt making it without trying out and Lapic moving to forward after playing Def. the whole tryout is not right, should they be there, yes, they are 2 of the best. Maybe they should list the evaluators and what they base there decisions on, how can you go by stats or how a player does during the season with the different strength of schedules, example Edina's versus Virginia's schedule, night & day. Also suprised Rehkamp & montgomery were not on the list either.I heard some parents of younger kids say they don't even want there kids to tryout anymore it's become such a joke here. Did any of these kids that made it, or even Schmidt an Lapic have fathers or coaches involved in the evaluation? That would be embarrasing for the kids.
I know the Dad of one of the kids and he said Ohrn's dad from Greenway was an evaluator along with Guyer from Greenway and Decenzo from Hibbing. Nice chummy bunch I must say. Not saying anything was wrong with the picks, but kind of tarnishes the results I think.
see you at the rink!
eastranger19

Post by eastranger19 »

Who would want there father evaluating, :oops: even if you played good you would still wonder. Was'nt it the same deal at the elite's last fall with them. I've heard he's a desent player at times. Lot a pressure for that kid to not fail dad. One kid even said he struggled at the gopher north series earlier in the spring against a lot weaker players. I guess if you want your kid there bad enough sign up to coach or evaluate. I did'nt get to see the selects play at all so I certainly can't judge the kid. I wish all that made it well and those that did'nt, remember the real season starts next fall.
puckhead9

Post by puckhead9 »

[quote="eastranger19"]Most of the kids are legit. but it's the small amount that get chosen because of the evaluators and how they can market the players, some should'nt have made the 54 list let alone this list, same as the 16's. I said before I heard team coaches and fathers were evaluators for range kids, and maybe even the cities kids, they should not even be involved. Schmidt making it without trying out and Lapic moving to forward after playing Def. the whole tryout is not right, should they be there, yes, they are 2 of the best. Maybe they should list the evaluators and what they base there decisions on, how can you go by stats or how a player does during the season with the different strength of schedules, example Edina's versus Virginia's schedule, night & day. Also suprised Rehkamp & montgomery were not on the list either.I heard some parents of younger kids say they don't even want there kids to tryout anymore it's become such a joke here. Did any of these kids that made it, or even Schmidt an Lapic have fathers or coaches involved in the evaluation? That would be embarrasing for the kids.[/quote]

Lapic has a full ride to wisconsin and your saying he made the national team because of a father or a coach. haha face it hes good!
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

I have no horse in this race but I will say that they really need to get the dads out of the whole evaluation process. In fact an argument can be made that high school coaches should not be evaluators of kids who they've coached personally.
davey

Post by davey »

MNHockeyFan wrote:I have no horse in this race but I will say that they really need to get the dads out of the whole evaluation process. In fact an argument can be made that high school coaches should not be evaluators of kids who they've coached personally.
Agreed, college or junior coaches should be the evaluators. They have the eye for the talent although with all of the early verbals that are happening now, that could open up a whole new can of worms although those kids have already been identified as being worthy of advancing to the National camp. No problems with that at all. No matter what you do, there will always be some flaws in it. What I love watching is certain Dads who have there nose up every scout, coach and even agents a--. They definately know how to play the system and for some, it works in their kids favor.
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

cu@darink wrote:
I know the Dad of one of the kids and he said Ohrn's dad from Greenway was an evaluator along with Guyer from Greenway and Decenzo from Hibbing. Nice chummy bunch I must say. Not saying anything was wrong with the picks, but kind of tarnishes the results I think.
Ohrn was -12 in one game of the first round and still made the final 54's. Now we know why.
ccm911

Post by ccm911 »

Montgomery
Westerhaus
Rehkamp
Persain

In my mind these four should 17's National Players

The evaluating process is all a bit sketchy but there really is nothing you can do about it. There going to make mistakes and in my opinon these are four the messed up on. From what i know these four players all have bright hockey futures and im sure not making this camp is going to hold them back.
ccm911

Post by ccm911 »

*will not hold them back.. sry.

If you are good enough you will get noticed!
itstime

Post by itstime »

I personally think people put way to much stock on who made it and who didn't. I'm not sold on this whole advanced thing. Some kids don't even go to tryouts/games and get picked other play really good and no matter what they will not go. To me as a coach, wish this thing wasn't even around. I just hope these young men don't take it to heart if they don't make it. If you truely know you did everything possibly and left it on the ice you have nothing to second guess besides the process. Best of luck to all young men whether you make it or not.
Tony Soprano

Post by Tony Soprano »

I have to agree with itstime. There really is way too much emphasis put on the Advanced program. Yes there are some very good players that did not make the national team, but I am sure that will not stop them from reaching their goals.

Now it is time to swing a bat, a golf club, run around a track, chase some turkeys around the woods, or whatever you like to do in the spring and have some fun being a kid for a change.
March3333Madness

Post by March3333Madness »

Forwards not on the National List

Pitlick
Persian
Rehkamp
Voight
C. Reilly
Lovick
Westerhaus
Skoog
Maetche
Brunette
Friedman
Hennum

Defense not on the National List

J. Johnson
Montgomery
Thompson
Schmitz
Benson
Hesketh or Fallen

Goalies not on the National List

Casper
Bruggemann

Hum.
aspartame

Post by aspartame »

In my mind I thought that Bruggeman should have made the team. He had some good stats and everything. Just a thought that I would throw out there.
Sioux Fan

Pete Spratte

Post by Sioux Fan »

Hard for me to believe that Pete didn't make it he was awesome the weekend of the Spring Festival. I didn't see the 54's but know he played well and scored some goals. he is easily in the top D men in this group. He is a great skater and is really getting strong. I hope he gets a chance to play in the festival some way as I think he deserves it as does Tyler Voigt. He was an animal out there noone will out work him . Cole Peterson was very strong too!

He is the kind of D-man that makes the difference being the fourth or the 1st guy on the attack. He is exciting and unafraid to make gamewinning plays.
Fighting Sioux Forever
eastranger19

Post by eastranger19 »

puckhead9 wrote:
Lapic has a full ride to wisconsin and your saying he made the national team because of a father or a coach. haha face it hes good!
No I did'nt say he made it because of a father or a coach, just asked if either had a father or coach evaluating. I said they are 2 of the best, some of the kids are'nt, Lapic is probably a better defenseman than most of the defenseman chosen, he is that good of a player, he should have been taken as a defenseman or played as a forward. Look at the list of forwards not taken, maybe they should move them to defense. I think they should just hand pick who they want and take them right away, or do you think it could be a MONEY MAKER!!! :shock: