Thinking of moving from Ca. to Minn. for hockey

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SEMinnHockeyNut

Post by SEMinnHockeyNut »

I would consider moving to Rochester...the housing market is cheaper than the Twin Cities, and there are plenty of jobs in a fast growing city - Mayo Clinic, IBM, etc...Rochester is now the 3rd largest city in Minnesota and is projected to grow by 10,000 or so per decade.

The academics in the public and private schools is top notch. The gene pool helps, as well as the system and support from Mayo Clinic and IBM.

The hockey is good, sometimes great. Century, Lourdes, and Mayo always have good to great teams. JM has history, but tends to be down.
The teams are not as deep as other top notch programs, but produces some good college players. The goalies tend to get plenty of work and have to be good for the teams to excell.

A number of goalies from Rochester have gone on to play college hockey - Kangas with the Gophers now, DeBus was a Gopher, Jaikaitis, Ranfranze...as well as several D-3 goalies.
MAYO SPARTANS!
stitches

Post by stitches »

Keep feeding her ego, boys. Maybe someone will throw in free housing? Wow.
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

well there is that new low income housing next to HM...
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
my2cents

Blaine

Post by my2cents »

Move to the Blaine area and play for Blaine, Centennial, Moundsview, Andover etc. 20 indoor rinks within a 15 mile radius. There's always something going on at the Super Rinks for off season training and playing time. Figure on $1500 total cost for a Bantam Season and about $1000 for Spring through Fall. Some associations even cut fees for goalies as they are always in the need for goalies.
Neutron 14

Re: Blaine

Post by Neutron 14 »

my2cents wrote:Move to the Blaine area and play for Blaine, Centennial, Moundsview, Andover etc. 20 indoor rinks within a 15 mile radius. There's always something going on at the Super Rinks for off season training and playing time. Figure on $1500 total cost for a Bantam Season and about $1000 for Spring through Fall. Some associations even cut fees for goalies as they are always in the need for goalies.
:wink:
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

Neutron 14 wrote:
my2cents wrote:Move to the Blaine area and play for Blaine, Centennial, Moundsview, Andover etc. 20 indoor rinks within a 15 mile radius. There's always something going on at the Super Rinks for off season training and playing time. Figure on $1500 total cost for a Bantam Season and about $1000 for Spring through Fall. Some associations even cut fees for goalies as they are always in the need for goalies.
It's hard to find the place though! :lol:
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

Neutron 14 wrote:
Maybe their "California Dreamin" doesn't involve playing in the state tournament. Playing at Centennial seems like a good fit. :wink:
Can't Never Tried

Pioneerprideguy wrote:
Neutron 14 wrote:
Maybe their "California Dreamin" doesn't involve playing in the state tournament. Playing at Centennial seems like a good fit. :wink:
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

Pioneerprideguy wrote:
Neutron 14 wrote:

The kid will be a first year bantam. Centennial has been in the CHAMPIONSHIP GAME 6 out of the last 8 years. How many have your pioneers been in?
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

stitches wrote:Keep feeding her ego, boys. Maybe someone will throw in free housing? Wow.
You caught that too, eh? Funny topic.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
pistol

Post by pistol »

Look at all you public school folks tripping over yourselves to recruit some unknown kid from California.

You would never see your kind of desperation coming from Hill-Murray hockey.

Maybe thats the reason that the Hill-Murray Pioneers have been to more Minnesota state hockey tournaments; played in more state hockey championship games; are the current state hockey champs; and have the prettiest girls of all the schools in Minnesota.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

pistol wrote:Look at all you public school folks tripping over yourselves to recruit some unknown kid from California.
Read sachishi4's post again. It would appear the tongue-wagging isn't limited to public school fans. You might have missed that post as you speed-read the topic. Honest mistake, I'm sure.

As for the rest of what you wrote, too funny. Image

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
tomASS

Post by tomASS »

I'm disappointed because not one of you asked what mom looks like!

8)
fighting all who rob or plunder
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

tomASS wrote:I'm disappointed because not one of you asked what mom looks like!

8)
They all did that with PM's :shock:
council member retired

association and job

Post by council member retired »

I own a little business. It has been in my family for over 80 years. We are a fixture in a southside metro. We could certainly find a place of employment and offer your goalie a chance to compete in the top district in Minnesota Hockey, district 6. Bloomington is the community and Kennedy is the association.. pride and history remain....be part of it.
darkdemon

Post by darkdemon »

Ok you are looking to save money but you probably don't want to move to a remote or small town. I suggest the St. Cloud area with lower housing prices good employment opportunities and some good area schools the best probably being either Sartell or St. Cloud Cathedral (yes a private school). There is also fine dining, recreation and shopping in area. Also the hockey community is serviced by 4 area arenas including the MAC (2 rinks) home of St. Cloud youth hockey, the Granite City Lumberjacks a junior hockey team, St. Cloud Apollo HS and St. Cloud Cathedral HS. The National Hockey Center (2 rinks) home of the St. Cloud State Huskies (WCHA) and St. Cloud Tech HS. Bernicks Arena in Sartell is home to the Sartell high school and the Sartell youth program. Lastly Sports Arena East is home to the Sauk Rapids HS and the Sauk Rapids youth program
The DEMON
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

It's just my opinion, but conditioningsucks and my2cents make very good points! With that said, maybe Andover would be a school/program to look into. No, I'm not from Andover. In fact if the kid did go there and was a brick wall, it would hurt my teams! OK... who wants to give me a hard time about that first?
Blaine 2000 State Champs
Centennial 2004 State Champs
komada77

Post by komada77 »

pistol wrote:Look at all you public school folks tripping over yourselves to recruit some unknown kid from California.

Maybe thats the reason that the Hill-Murray Pioneers have been to more Minnesota state hockey tournaments; played in more state hockey championship games; are the current state hockey champs; and have the prettiest girls of all the schools in Minnesota.
That's just a downright lie
Everyone hates private schools (and Edina)!!
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

komada77 wrote:

That's just a downright lie
Yep :(
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
Can't Never Tried

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:
tomASS wrote:I'm disappointed because not one of you asked what mom looks like!

8)
They all did that with PM's :shock:
Hmmmm ! I guess they're not so private after all. :x :lol:
stitches

Post by stitches »

You guys are something else! Now jobs AND housing are being offered. Ever think that California hockey mom is a hog farmer in Iowa?? council member retired, you're the best! A fixture in the southside metro? Does the rate of pay for Mom go up if the goalies GA goes down? What if he is a sieve? Fire Mom?
pistol

Post by pistol »

I would not expect any special favors as a goalie considering Hill-Murray (unlike with these pathetic publics). Hill classrooms are full of outstanding goalies and other athletes who never get to play varsity hockey. Yet, the kids still go to Hill-Murray... because they want the best experience. The only incentives you will find are the same for everyone: outstanding faith-based education with exceptional athletics/activities.

However, as long as we are California dreamers looking for Minnesota goalie fame, here is a partial list of accomplishments by former Hill-Murray goalies:

The 2008 State Champions have the best coaches in high school hockey (most are former goalies and defensemen);

World Hockey and the NHL;

The 1980 "Miracle" Olympic gold championship team;

NCAA D-1 hockey championship teams;

NCAA hockey championship tourney MVP;

35 State Hockey Tournament teams since 1962;

All-Conference, All-State, All-Tourney, and Frank Brimsek (best senior goalie in Minnesota) awards;

plus the opportunity to date the prettiest girls in Minnesota.
Indians forever

Post by Indians forever »

Get over this, don't you see it is probably the Skullz kid looking for another chance at being a Goalie.... :lol: :lol:
stitches

Post by stitches »

Pistol wins!!! Send the boy there, beats living in Iowa like he is now.
MnPride2

Post by MnPride2 »

Know for a fact Blaine is hurting for goalies at that level,plus you have the Staubers GoalCrease just across the street from Fogerty(Blaines home arena).