Outstater needs metro opinions...

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

UpNorthStars

Outstater needs metro opinions...

Post by UpNorthStars » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:01 am

So it's been about 5 years since the better half and i had a date, or any time alone for that matter, so i decided to head to the concrete jungle the weekend of Sept 6-7 to stay at a nice hotel, catch a twins game, and eat a nice (kid free) dinner at a nice restaraunt. I've got the hotel room reserved, the tix in hand, but haven't figured out the restaraunt yet. Is it possible to eat at a semi-fancy restaraunt for under 1 bill these days? I was thinking The Melting Pot would be fun for the wife and tollerable for myself, but i see the 2 person meal starts at 90 bux. I love good seafood and the wife loves a good steak. Any opinions out there? We'd like to stay somewhat close to downtown minneapolis. Thanks guys....and gal :)

tomASS

Post by tomASS » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:27 am

Try the Brazilian Steakhouse Fogo de Chao in dwtn Mpls.
You will get a variety of different meat and seafood to try throughout the meal since it is a form of a sophisticated buffet where you pick and choose meats from the different servers who roam the dining room with many choices to pick from.

Salad and seafood bar keeps the seafood lover very happy.

Watch the liquor ( bottles of wine or mixed drinks) are what drives the meal tab above the 100 dollar level.
fighting all who rob or plunder

EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:08 am

tomASS wrote:Try the Brazilian Steakhouse Fogo de Chao in dwtn Mpls.
You will get a variety of different meat and seafood to try throughout the meal since it is a form of a sophisticated buffet where you pick and choose meats from the different servers who roam the dining room with many choices to pick from.

Salad and seafood bar keeps the seafood lover very happy.

Watch the liquor ( bottles of wine or mixed drinks) are what drives the meal tab above the 100 dollar level.
Tommy beat me to it. Amen to that.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls

DMom

Post by DMom » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:07 am

I wish I could be helpful UNStar, but, alas, Mr. D and I have also not been on a date for at least that long. We have a pile of unused gift cards that we've collected. Some to very nice restaurants, many to Applebees, but the only ones that seem to get used are the ones for Subway :oops:

But IF we were going to go on a date than that sounds like a great place to go. Once (hmmm, this was years ago too :-k )I had a buffet at Leo's Chow Mein on the east side (quite a little hole in the wall, but very popular lunch spot) that was served in the same manner. Pretty good way to sample a lot and than go back after your favorites. Have fun

Can't Never Tried

Re: Outstater needs metro opinions...

Post by Can't Never Tried » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:26 am

UpNorthStars wrote:So it's been about 5 years since the better half and i had a date, or any time alone for that matter, so i decided to head to the concrete jungle the weekend of Sept 6-7 to stay at a nice hotel, catch a twins game, and eat a nice (kid free) dinner at a nice restaraunt. I've got the hotel room reserved, the tix in hand, but haven't figured out the restaraunt yet. Is it possible to eat at a semi-fancy restaraunt for under 1 bill these days? I was thinking The Melting Pot would be fun for the wife and tollerable for myself, but i see the 2 person meal starts at 90 bux. I love good seafood and the wife loves a good steak. Any opinions out there? We'd like to stay somewhat close to downtown minneapolis. Thanks guys....and gal :)
If it's been 5 years...well 1st, congratulations life is good! :D
2nd if it's been 5 years you can pony up the extra C note :roll:

JK
How about Benihana it's pretty close to what you want to spend.
Little of everything and pretty fun too!
http://www.benihana.com/locations/minneapolis-mn-mp

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:43 pm

UNS!

Time to step up!

Its a liitle out of the way, but The Irishmans Shanty would be perfect![/b]

UpNorthStars

Post by UpNorthStars » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:46 am

Ugh...thanks for all the suggestions, they all sounded great to me. I suggested them all to the wife and she kind of himmed and hawed and decided on the California Pizza Kitchen :!: :?:

Women... :?:

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:21 am

UpNorthStars wrote:Ugh...thanks for all the suggestions, they all sounded great to me. I suggested them all to the wife and she kind of himmed and hawed and decided on the California Pizza Kitchen :!: :?:

CPK...a decent choice. We've eaten at a couple of those and were pleased both times. I'm not sure where that stands on the Romance Meter, if you're looking for that special place which won't make the wallet scream in pain. Maybe a 5 on a 1-10 scale.

Benihana sounds intriguing. Have never eaten there; closest we got was a a Kobe Japanese Steakhouse in Lahaina this past March, which is also a teppanyaki-style place. Very good.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:30 am

east hockey wrote:
UpNorthStars wrote:Ugh...thanks for all the suggestions, they all sounded great to me. I suggested them all to the wife and she kind of himmed and hawed and decided on the California Pizza Kitchen :!: :?:

CPK...a decent choice. We've eaten at a couple of those and were pleased both times. I'm not sure where that stands on the Romance Meter, if you're looking for that special place which won't make the wallet scream in pain. Maybe a 5 on a 1-10 scale.

Benihana sounds intriguing. Have never eaten there; closest we got was a a Kobe Japanese Steakhouse in Lahaina this past March, which is also a teppanyaki-style place. Very good.

Lee
Pretty much the same, I never saw the place in Lahaina when I was there, has it been there a long time? or is it a new addition in the last few years?
(Since your a regular) :D

Govs93

Post by Govs93 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:34 am

east hockey wrote:

Lee
They opened a Kobe Steakhouse in Plymouth (I think there are roughly 8,000 "Kobe Steakhouses" in the country, so I doubt the two are related), and I believe they do teppanyaki as well. They also serve Kobe beef hot rock style. I've seen it on the Food Network a few times (yes... the Food Network is one of Govs' guilty pleasures. STFU), and it looks great. I'll have to get in there one of these days to give it a whirl.

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:50 am

Govs93 wrote: (yes... the Food Network is one of Govs' guilty pleasures. STFU), and it looks great.
I agree Giada looks great, but Top Chef's Padma Lakshmi gets me cookin...

OGEE OGELTHORPE

Re: Outstater needs metro opinions...

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:52 am

UpNorthStars wrote: so i decided to head to the concrete jungle the weekend of Sept 6-7 to stay at a nice hotel, catch a twins game
What day are you going to the Twins game?
I'm taking the family to the game on the 7th, maybe I'll run into you and we can talk some section 8 hockey. :wink:

Govs93

Post by Govs93 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:54 am

Neutron 14 wrote:
Govs93 wrote: (yes... the Food Network is one of Govs' guilty pleasures. STFU), and it looks great.
I agree Giada looks great, but Top Chef's Padma Lakshmi gets me cookin...

Isn't she married to Salman Rushdie?

Talk about over-chicked.

UpNorthStars

Post by UpNorthStars » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:14 am

We've eaten at the CPK a couple times before, don't get me wrong, it's great pizza, just not quite the atmosphere i was going for but what the heck, pizza and beer, can't go wrong.

I'll be going to the saturday afternoon game, gotta get the aggie bobble head you know. Too bad ogee, would have been interesting :P

State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:32 pm

The title of this thread is something I never thought I'd see. :lol:

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:43 pm

Can't Never Tried wrote:
east hockey wrote:

Lee
Pretty much the same, I never saw the place in Lahaina when I was there, has it been there a long time? or is it a new addition in the last few years?
(Since your a regular) :D
I don't know how long Kobe has been in Lahaina. Funny I wouldn't, considering we've been there five times, but it's not on the main drag (Front St) where probably 95% of the stuff is in that town. We didn't know about Kobe until we bought a guidebook on Maui restaurants prior to our last trip. Mrs. HAL saw the review and went "Oh, cool! Let's go there!". I was apprehensive cause I prefer the more quiet, intimate places. Dining at a U-shaped table with a bunch of strangers wasn't my idea of a good dining experience. I was pleasantly surprised.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

pistol

Post by pistol » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:55 pm

Seems like all the resturants I go to have something "under 1 bill" if you look at something called the value menu, and you don't have to see any kids if you stay out of the playland.

pistol

Post by pistol » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:57 pm

State Champ 97 wrote:The title of this thread is something I never thought I'd see. :lol:
We're always giving those guys lessons (see 2008 semifinals).

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:26 pm

pistol wrote:
State Champ 97 wrote:The title of this thread is something I never thought I'd see. :lol:
We're always giving those guys lessons (see 2008 semifinals).
We remember.
:D

OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:46 am

Cotton Candy: 4.00

Dome dog: 5.00

Minnesota Twins Ice cream: 3.50

Slushy: 4.00

Mini Doughnuts: 4.75

My 3 year old throwing up all over the guy with the Hill-Murray shirt.....................Priceless!

Twins lost but it was entertaining :wink:

BIAFP

Post by BIAFP » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:53 am

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:Cotton Candy: 4.00

My 3 year old throwing up all over the guy with the Hill-Murray shirt.....................Priceless!

I brought my kids to their 1st Twins game yesterday as well and was amazed at how fast you can empty your wallet!

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:53 am

:lol: :lol:

So UNS lets have the report....did it work :wink:

5 More Years ! 5 More Years ! 5 More Years ! 5 More Years !

OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:41 pm

BIAFP wrote:

I brought my kids to their 1st Twins game yesterday as well and was amazed at how fast you can empty your wallet!
can empty your wallet Ive heard that before somewhere. :wink:

BIAFP

Post by BIAFP » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:04 pm

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:
BIAFP wrote:

Careful :-#

AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:53 pm

BIAFP wrote:
OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:
BIAFP wrote:

Careful :-#
No jabs or insults?? :roll: Your trip to the woodshed did a world of good - welcome back.... :-#

AY 8)