So where is the bottom...?

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Indians forever

Post by Indians forever » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:46 am

DMom wrote:I hope it passes soon, I can't believe how quickly it dropped right before close. Can't they suspend trading or something?
That would just prolong the agony..

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:19 am

packerboy wrote:So, at this level why do people sell?

Assuming you own stock that performs close to market, you are down about 40%.

Why sell now?
PB I think the real reason is that people have lost trust in the the stock market due to what they feel is poor management by those they trust with there $'s.

I mean when you hear things like the big AIG party after the bailout, and the millions that were distributed to the execs at Lehman etc..... people just can't understand why they are being fleeced while these guys walk away with what would be more then just a retirement account.

Otherwise what logical reason can you put on the wholesale devaluation of our countries wealth?

Silent But Deadly

Post by Silent But Deadly » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:23 am

Can't Never Tried wrote:Otherwise what logical reason can you put on the wholesale devaluation of our countries wealth?
Sorry...this is way bigger than that! The affect on world markets is equally devastating!

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:34 am

Silent But Deadly wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:Otherwise what logical reason can you put on the wholesale devaluation of our countries wealth?
Sorry...this is way bigger than that! The affect on world markets is equally devastating!
We cough they get the flu !

packerboy

Post by packerboy » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:47 am

Can't Never Tried wrote:

Why sell now?
PB I think the real reason is that people have lost trust in the the stock market due to what they feel is poor management by those they trust with there $'s.

I mean when you hear things like the big AIG party after the bailout, and the millions that were distributed to the execs at Lehman etc..... people just can't understand why they are being fleeced while these guys walk away with what would be more then just a retirement account.

Otherwise what logical reason can you put on the wholesale devaluation of our countries wealth?
I dont think so. I havent sold anything. If people have totally lost faith, their cash will soon be as worthless as their stocks.

Anecdotes like the AIG party don't drive institutional invetsors. That stuff doesnt effect too many people but is good for viewership.

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:09 pm

packerboy wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:

Why sell now?

I dont think so. I havent sold anything. If people have totally lost faith, their cash will soon be as worthless as their stocks.

Anecdotes like the AIG party don't drive institutional invetsors. That stuff doesnt effect too many people but is good for viewership.
You haven't because you are wise enough to know that it would be stupid at this point to realize a loss when you still have time on your side(not much) he he he but many don't understand that they haven't lost anything until they sell, they sell because they either fear they will have nothing left, or just don't know better.
I think your wrong about individual investor confidence, not sure if I can find any data to support it other then the fact the market is where it is.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:36 pm

HAL predicts a bottom of 3,500 within the next two years.

I think HAL has blown a chip, personally; I'd peg it at closer to 4,500 but maybe I'm optimistic without good reason.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:41 pm

east hockey wrote:HAL predicts a bottom of 3,500 within the next two years.

I think HAL has blown a chip, personally; I'd peg it at closer to 4,500 but maybe I'm optimistic without good reason.

Lee
You mean a tube :lol:
I doubt it'll go that low but then who thought it would get to where we are....well besides me :lol:

tomASS

Post by tomASS » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:33 pm

NEW STOCK MARKET TERMS:

CEO --Chief Embezzlement Officer.

CFO -- Corporate Fraud Officer.

BULL MARKET -- A random market movement causing an investor to mistake himself for a financial genius.

BEAR MARKET -- A 6 to 18 month period when the kids get no allowance, the wife gets no jewelry, and the husband gets no sex.

VALUE INVESTING -- The art of buying low and selling lower.

P/E RATIO -- The percentage of investors wetting their pants as the market keeps crashing.

BROKER -- What my broker has made me.

STANDARD & POOR -- Your life in a nutshell.

STOCK ANALYST -- Idiot who just downgraded your stock.

STOCK SPLIT -- When your ex-wife and her lawyer split your assets equally between themselves.

FINANCIAL PLANNER -- A guy whose phone has been disconnected.

MARKET CORRECTION -- The day after you buy stocks.

CASH FLOW-- The movement your money makes as it disappears down the toilet.

YAHOO -- What you yell after selling it to some poor sucker for $240 per share.

WINDOWS -- What you jump out of when you're the sucker who bought Yahoo @ $240 per share.

INSTITUTIONAL INVESTOR -- Past year investor who's now locked up in a nuthouse.

PROFIT -- An archaic word no longer in use.
fighting all who rob or plunder

DMom

Post by DMom » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:28 pm

938 points, up. It probably won't last but it still feels better than last week.

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:45 pm

Read into it as you will but this is an opportunity of a lifetime! (or at least a long time) :wink:

Govs93

Post by Govs93 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:49 pm

Sweet!

Now I've got more money to place ads in the Rogers' hockey program!

EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:04 pm

Govs93 wrote:Sweet!

Will you personalize one for me?

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls

Govs93

Post by Govs93 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:06 pm

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:

Will you personalize one for me?

:idea:
I don't think you'd want me to do that. :twisted:

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:13 pm

Good idea you and Neut can start with your pictures......... :lol:

ImageImage

Govs93

Post by Govs93 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:18 pm

Can't Never Tried wrote:

Good idea you and Neut can start with your pictures......... :lol:

ImageImage
Nah... then I'd be confused with the Royals' team picture. :D

AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:36 pm

Can't Never Tried wrote:Read into it as you will but this is an opportunity of a lifetime! (or at least a long time) :wink:
Still on the sidelines, CNT? Nothing wrong with that - if your stomach cannot stand the rollercoaster, stay in your Money Market. Just don't tell us you know where the bottom and tops of the market are. You're not that smart.

AY 8)

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:46 pm

AngusYoung wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:Read into it as you will but this is an opportunity of a lifetime! (or at least a long time) :wink:
Still on the sidelines, CNT? Nothing wrong with that - if your stomach cannot stand the rollercoaster, stay in your Money Market. Just don't tell us you know where the bottom and tops of the market are. You're not that smart.

AY 8)
Thanks AY.... Like I need you to tell me that. And who is us?

If you, or anyone gets their financial advice here..well not much I can say to that.
I will say that if you made the moves I made you'd have extra cash today!:D

I also predict that the Flyers will be good this year, and I don't hear ya yippin about that. :wink:

packerboy

Post by packerboy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:07 am

Just be careful of this ,CNT:

OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:50 am

packerboy wrote:Just be careful of this ,CNT:

Haven't heard from CNT today............maybe he is in the trap already. :wink:

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:59 am

Busy............ hunting for Angus today ! :lol:

AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:34 am

You'll have to look long and far. I took CNT's advice and liquidated my entire equity portfolio and flew to the beaches of Turks and Caicos. Then I wake up and check the headlines and see I missed out on the biggest gain in the markets ever. I'm now looking for a window to jump out of - or maybe a scuba dive with sharks. On second thought, maybe I'll head back to the states and look around the Buffalo, MN area to find the clown who's handing out free investment advice and put him out of biz before he makes a 1000aire out of someone else.

AY 8)

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:48 am

I hope you find your window :lol:

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:21 pm

AngusYoung wrote:You'll have to look long and far. I took CNT's advice and liquidated my entire equity portfolio and flew to the beaches of Turks and Caicos. Then I wake up and check the headlines and see I missed out on the biggest gain in the markets ever. I'm now looking for a window to jump out of - or maybe a scuba dive with sharks. On second thought, maybe I'll head back to the states and look around the Buffalo, MN area to find the clown who's handing out free investment advice and put him out of biz before he makes a 1000aire out of someone else.

AY 8)
Well, if you waited that long to take action, no wonder you lost huge.

And don't jump from the same window as Bader.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

Silent But Deadly

Post by Silent But Deadly » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:40 pm

AngusYoung wrote:On second thought, maybe I'll head back to the states and look around the Buffalo, MN area to find the clown who's handing out free investment advice and put him out of biz before he makes a 1000aire out of someone else.

AY 8)
If you're referring to CNT's advice...he's from Rogers! Leave us Bison out of it! :)