Probable 7AA Seedings

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Game Misconduct

Probable 7AA Seedings

Post by Game Misconduct » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:20 am

1 Grand Rapids/Greenway
2 Duluth
3 Proctor/Hermantown/Marshal
4 Cloquet
5 Cambridge
6 Forest lake
7 St Francis

Pretty certain of top 4. Remaining games shouldn't move seeding much imo.

5-7 I haven't seen them play, but this seems logical.

Cloquet and duluth are on the upswing, while GRG and PHM are currently not playing the way they have early in the season.

Will be some great section games.

zamboni99

Post by zamboni99 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:37 am

Isn't there 8 teams?

Is Chisago Lakes in it somewhere?

nine mile

Post by nine mile » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:26 am

Chisago is now in 7A because their cooperative with Pine city is no more.

hockeyrube7

Re: Probable 7AA Seedings

Post by hockeyrube7 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:55 am

Game Misconduct wrote:1 Grand Rapids/Greenway
2 Duluth
3 Proctor/Hermantown/Marshal
4 Cloquet
5 Cambridge
6 Forest lake
7 St Francis

Pretty certain of top 4. Remaining games shouldn't move seeding much imo.

5-7 I haven't seen them play, but this seems logical.

Cloquet and duluth are on the upswing, while GRG and PHM are currently not playing the way they have early in the season.

Will be some great section games.
Top 3 to 4 here might move some after seeing the recent scores?

nmnhockeydad

Post by nmnhockeydad » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:03 pm

I also don't think that seedings of the top four will change but, I could be wrong because I think that Cloquet plays two of the top three seeds. Either way Cloquet and Duluth are playing some of their best hockey but 1-4 are so even that it could be anyone coming out of Section 7AA

Game Misconduct

Post by Game Misconduct » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:01 pm

nmnhockeydad wrote:I also don't think that seedings of the top four will change but, I could be wrong because I think that Cloquet plays two of the top three seeds. Either way Cloquet and Duluth are playing some of their best hockey but 1-4 are so even that it could be anyone coming out of Section 7AA
IMO Even if Cloquet beats Duluth and PHM coming up, because of their earlier losses and how other games fell the top 4 is right on. BUT...it all comes down to the coaches.

And seeing the closeness of 1-4 and even 5-6 the debates at the sectional meeting will be interesting.

Cambridge may turn out to ba a great darkhouse in 7AA. they haave great goaltending. And Duluth has 2 awesome netminders. Any team can ride a hot goalie to st. Paul.

It will interesting to see if FrykKnapp will stay wit Bellamy for a 3rd straight game tonight or go with Turner...she may be better anyway.

hockeyrube7

Post by hockeyrube7 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:39 pm

Game Misconduct wrote:Cambridge may turn out to ba a great darkhouse in 7AA. they haave great goaltending.
Have you seen them play? That and one player are all they have. Don't see that getting them through all of those top 4, who all have great goaltending mixed with several good to great players.

Game Misconduct

Post by Game Misconduct » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:00 pm

hockeyrube7 wrote:
Game Misconduct wrote:Cambridge may turn out to ba a great darkhouse in 7AA. they haave great goaltending.
Have you seen them play? That and one player are all they have. Don't see that getting them through all of those top 4, who all have great goaltending mixed with several good to great players.
I agree...thats why I said darkhorse.

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:19 pm

I'd agree that 1-4 are pretty much set, I was told last night that the seeding meeting is Wednesday night, with the CEC/PHM second matchup Thursday.

The CEC/Duluth game Thursday was fun to watch, and seeing the Jacks finally playing at the level they need to this time of year, the playoffs will be even more fun.

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:58 pm

First part copied from my USCHO post (lazy tonight sorry):

CEC came out flat on Senior night, giving PHM a 4-0 lead, which turned into a 7-2 PHM victory. Julia Gilbert had a hat-trick and at least 1 assist if I heard the PA right. Weiss and Gilbert are a really dangerous combination on both ends of the ice. I think Shannon Miller (UMD Coach for those who stay in the High School section only) has the right idea of having ceremonies for players AFTER the game and not before!

I'll post a picture link, by Sunday if not tonight, depending if I get to it tonight or not

CEC has Forest Lake (rather obvious before the seeding last night).. a rather favorable draw, with Rapids second. Considering the trouble they've had with PHM, Duluth having them in the second round Saturday would be good for CEC if the top four teams win their games Thursday.

Game Misconduct

Post by Game Misconduct » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:57 pm

#1 Grand Rapids/Greenway vs. BYE
#2 Proctor/Hermantown/Marshall vs. #7 Cambridge-Isanti/Mora **
#3 Duluth vs. #6 St. Francis-North Branch
#4 Cloquet-Esko-Carlton vs. *#5 Forest Lake

From MSHSL

A bit of a surprise that Duluth is 3 and St Francis is 6...but there you go

My picks are:
quarters-- GRG, PHM, Duluth, CEC
semis -- GRG, Duluth
Finals -- Duluth

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:53 pm

I think BYE will beat GRG :D

Actually I think CEC has gained confidence the last couple weeks, aside from the debacle on Senior night against PHM.. that they can beat Rapids. The deciding factor may be a bit of 'rink rust.' Sure it's only 8 days but Rapids will have played their last game Friday and won't play until the Section semi's on Saturday. Not having the 8th team (Chisago) in the section may not be a good thing. Then again I could be seeing more into that, but we'll see!

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:57 am

Before the playoffs start, Duluth's girls team finished their regular season beating Wayzata today Photos here, and CEC came back from their disaster against PHM to beat Bemidji in overtime (Friday, but I missed that game.)

As long as Thursday goes as expected, Saturday (11 am/1 pm) should be lots of fun.

nmnhockeydad

Post by nmnhockeydad » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:51 am

I think Grand Rapids will win...no, wait a minute I think Proctor Hermantown Marshall...no, I changed my mind Duluth will win...but, maybe Cloquet has what it takes... GET THE PICTURE. It will be a great Section 7AA tournament!

hockeya1a

Post by hockeya1a » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:32 am

DHMN wrote:Before the playoffs start, Duluth's girls team finished their regular season beating Wayzata today Photos here, and CEC came back from their disaster against PHM to beat Bemidji in overtime (Friday, but I missed that game.)

As long as Thursday goes as expected, Saturday (11 am/1 pm) should be lots of fun.
Wow nice pics, looks like Wayzata does lots of hooking were there lots of Non Calls?

trojangoalie241

Post by trojangoalie241 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:25 am

Duluth is actually number 2 and PHM is number 3. It got entered wrong on MSHSL. St. Francis would then be 7 and Cambridge would be 6.

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:00 pm

trojangoalie241 wrote:Duluth is actually number 2 and PHM is number 3. It got entered wrong on MSHSL. St. Francis would then be 7 and Cambridge would be 6.
It really doesn't matter, as after they both win, they'll play each other anyway. The big thing is.. after Cambridge is knocked out the location of the championship game will change (like other seasons) to one of the local arenas rather than making the final 2 teams take an hour+ (or more if Rapids) drive.

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:06 pm

hockeya1a wrote:
DHMN wrote:Before the playoffs start, Duluth's girls team finished their regular season beating Wayzata today Photos here, and CEC came back from their disaster against PHM to beat Bemidji in overtime (Friday, but I missed that game.)

Wow nice pics, looks like Wayzata does lots of hooking were there lots of Non Calls?
The game was pretty clean actually... Wayzata is on a long losing streak after a .500 first half of the year, having a small (in numbers) team seems to have hurt them. Whenever there's any pressure at all in their zone you hear all of their players yelling "ICE IT!" They've lost a couple games by more than 5 goals (looked at their MSHSL page) but they've been in most of their games.

Game Misconduct

Post by Game Misconduct » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:03 pm

DHMN wrote:
trojangoalie241 wrote:Duluth is actually number 2 and PHM is number 3. It got entered wrong on MSHSL. St. Francis would then be 7 and Cambridge would be 6.
It really doesn't matter, as after they both win, they'll play each other anyway. The big thing is.. after Cambridge is knocked out the location of the championship game will change (like other seasons) to one of the local arenas rather than making the final 2 teams take an hour+ (or more if Rapids) drive.
that makes sense to play the final game up north (shod two north teams win) instead of that horse poop arena in St Francis

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:24 pm

Question for Duluthians for Saturday's semifinals.. the News Tribune weekly game listings says Duluth East is playing at Heritage Saturday at 1 pm.. they can't be playing there at 1 pm with the Section Semi's being at 11 am and 1 pm.... there's no way they'd have either game in the other arena either I'd hope. Hopefully either the Semi's or East's boys are moved over to the DECC. and that's cleared up soon.

Game Misconduct

Post by Game Misconduct » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:31 am

DHMN wrote:Question for Duluthians for Saturday's semifinals.. the News Tribune weekly game listings says Duluth East is playing at Heritage Saturday at 1 pm.. they can't be playing there at 1 pm with the Section Semi's being at 11 am and 1 pm.... there's no way they'd have either game in the other arena either I'd hope. Hopefully either the Semi's or East's boys are moved over to the DECC. and that's cleared up soon.
East will play Stillwater 3:00 at the DECC

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:19 pm

That's good.. the News Tribune has been off some times and locations the past month.. must be the economy :shock: