Seeding Comments

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HShockeywatcher

Seeding Comments

Post by HShockeywatcher »

The section seedings are being posted in this thread:
http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19485

The thread is supposed to be just for the seedings being listed.
Post comments and questions about the seedings here.

Mine to start:
8AA: Right on, should be interesting to see how Northern Lakes does against St Cloud Tech
8A: Very good, the final should be a great game
7A: Very accurate, obviously the range coaches game the private school the respect they deserve. Semi final and final games should be good.
6A: Alex will have a good semi-final to prepare them for Little Falls.
3A: New Ulm over Hutch despite a 4-1 Hutch win?

How many section games will be televised?
mch

Post by mch »

good luck to monticello, who drives 6 hours on a tuesday to take on the rams.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Thoughts on 7AA:

Not precisely the way I had it, but I definitely understand why they did the things they did. Cloquet's win ove FL probably hauled up Anoka, making that tie look better. The bottom three all beat up on each other, though Princeton beat C-I twice, which is probably why C-I is 10th despite having a win over Cloquet.

I think this sets up some excellent quarterfinal matchups:
-Forest Lake and Andover tied their regular season meeting, so it should be a good one.
-Cloquet and Rapids could also be very good. It's a rivalry, and Cloquet's been playing better lately.
-ER vs. Anoka (assuming they win the play-in) is a nice little NWSC matchup, though probably not that interesting. Cambridge vs. ER...blah.
-Duluth East vs. St. Francis would also have some good storylines, even if the game isn't close. Benik broke Dave Spehar's single-season goal record earlier this year, throwing some history into the mix, and it'll be interesting to see how he does against East's vaunted defense. If memory serves, he had their shot in the first period against East in last year's quarterfinal. If it's East vs. Princeton...blah.
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

karl(east) wrote:Thoughts on 7AA:

Not precisely the way I had it, but I definitely understand why they did the things they did. Cloquet's win ove FL probably hauled up Anoka, making that tie look better. The bottom three all beat up on each other, though Princeton beat C-I twice, which is probably why C-I is 10th despite having a win over Cloquet.

I think this sets up some excellent quarterfinal matchups:
-Forest Lake and Andover tied their regular season meeting, so it should be a good one.
-Cloquet and Rapids could also be very good. It's a rivalry, and Cloquet's been playing better lately.
-ER vs. Anoka (assuming they win the play-in) is a nice little NWSC matchup, though probably not that interesting. Cambridge vs. ER...blah.
-Duluth East vs. St. Francis would also have some good storylines, even if the game isn't close. Benik broke Dave Spehar's single-season goal record earlier this year, throwing some history into the mix, and it'll be interesting to see how he does against East's vaunted defense. If memory serves, he had their shot in the first period against East in last year's quarterfinal. If it's East vs. Princeton...blah.
In my opinion, the top 4 are right. After that, I think they did a terrible job.

Forest Lake... well, maybe alright, but Cambridge-Isanti and St. Francis definitely got the short end of the stick.

CEC and Anoka got very nice gifts. One section win with only five wins overall doesn't warrant a #6 seed in my opinion as CEC was handed. Anoka should have been dead last... seriously, an 0-7-1 in section play and a 6-17-1 overall record with ZERO quality wins and their hosting a playoff game?

Too much credit was given to some teams because they lost a lot of games to good opponents... which is fine as long as they were to win some to go along with it - that didn't happen here.
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

How did Franny get shafted?

GoImage
Go Hounds.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

PuckRanger wrote: In my opinion, the top 4 are right. After that, I think they did a terrible job.

Forest Lake... well, maybe alright, but Cambridge-Isanti and St. Francis definitely got the short end of the stick.

CEC and Anoka got very nice gifts. One section win with only five wins overall doesn't warrant a #6 seed in my opinion as CEC was handed. Anoka should have been dead last... seriously, an 0-7-1 in section play and a 6-17-1 overall record with ZERO quality wins and their hosting a playoff game?

Too much credit was given to some teams because they lost a lot of games to good opponents... which is fine as long as they were to win some to go along with it - that didn't happen here.
I agree it's a bit dodgy. I can understand Cloquet after the win over Forest Lake and in conjunction with the Rapids tie, I guess. I still might have made a case for St. Francis ahead of them, but Cloquet does seem to be playing better lately.

I suppose the logic they're using with Anoka is that the tie with Cloquet means they should be near Cloquet. They also didn't lose to any of the bottom 3. But I agree, I'd still have put them last based on what they did both in and out of the section.

After that, you're left with the 3 bottom feeders, where C-I beat STF, Princeton beat C-I twice, and STF beat Princeton. I understand why STF gets the bump for its good overall season. Then the debate comes down to whether C-I's win over Cloquet is worth more than Princeton's 2 wins over C-I.

I can see why they did it, but I liked my rankings better. :D
steelheader

Post by steelheader »

C'mon, everyone knows why Randolph wouldn't allow Cloquet in the 8 or 9 spot right?

I'd like to argue that CI got screwed but losing twice to a terrible, Princeton team is a hard position to argue from. Did I say Princeton is terrible? They'll lose by 4 to SF, who will in turn lose by 4 to DE.

CI v. Anoka will be close and could go either way, but it doesn't matter w/ ER next.

Cloquet will beat GR.

Andover beats Flake.
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

EHSHack wrote:How did Franny get shafted?
Well, for starters, they posted a 19-6 overall record. Three of the teams they lost to, they also later beat. They held their own against the few better teams they did play (BSM, Totino). The other bottom teams got blown out by opponents of similar caliber. They did lose to Cambridge early in the year, but they also handily beat Princeton, who has beaten Cambridge twice. Nobody has blown them out.

Anoka should not be ahead of them. Here is who Anoka defeated this year: North Metro - twice (5-19), Bloomington Kennedy (4-18-1), Coon Rapids (2-21), Champlin Park (8-15), and Osseo (11-12). Thats it. They've had running time put on 'em 7 times this year. Anoka should be last - One section tie is no where near enough to warrant anything higher, especially against one of the bottom teams.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

steelheader wrote:C'mon, everyone knows why Randolph wouldn't allow Cloquet in the 8 or 9 spot right
I don't know. I'm an East fan, and I wanted Cloquet.
It'll have to wait til the section finals, though, and that looks doubtful.

If I'm one of those bottom 3 teams, though, I'm pretty angry with the results of tonight's meeting. It'd make me doubt that my team would ever be seeded out of the bottom 3 in this section.
dori

Re: Seeding Comments

Post by dori »

[quote="HShockeywatcher"]The section seedings are being posted in this thread:
http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19485

The thread is supposed to be just for the seedings being listed.
Post comments and questions about the seedings here.

Mine to start:
8AA: Right on, should be interesting to see how Northern Lakes does against St Cloud Tech
8A: Very good, the final should be a great game
7A: Very accurate, obviously the range coaches game the private school the respect they deserve. Semi final and final games should be good.
6A: Alex will have a good semi-final to prepare them for Little Falls.
3A: New Ulm over Hutch despite a 4-1 Hutch win?

How many section games will be televised?[/quote]

Northern Lakes is going to get slaughtered!
ref101

Post by ref101 »

karl(east) wrote:
PuckRanger wrote: In my opinion, the top 4 are right. After that, I think they did a terrible job.

I agree it's a bit dodgy. I can understand Cloquet after the win over Forest Lake and in conjunction with the Rapids tie, I guess. I still might have made a case for St. Francis ahead of them, but Cloquet does seem to be playing better lately.

I suppose the logic they're using with Anoka is that the tie with Cloquet means they should be near Cloquet. They also didn't lose to any of the bottom 3. But I agree, I'd still have put them last based on what they did both in and out of the section.

After that, you're left with the 3 bottom feeders, where C-I beat STF, Princeton beat C-I twice, and STF beat Princeton. I understand why STF gets the bump for its good overall season. Then the debate comes down to whether C-I's win over Cloquet is worth more than Princeton's 2 wins over C-I.

I can see why they did it, but I liked my rankings better. :D

Look at the proximity of the games... I think they threw out the W/L and went with $$...!
Mr. Bo Dangles

Post by Mr. Bo Dangles »

Are these seeding meeting and how they voted public knowledge anywhere?
pioneerhockey12

sds

Post by pioneerhockey12 »

all i have to say is..... GO TIGERS!
Stealth

Post by Stealth »

Mr. Bo Dangles wrote:Are these seeding meeting and how they voted public knowledge anywhere?
http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/activitypage.asp?actnum=410

click on your section, then scroll to Hockey. you will find the brackets and seedings results for most.
gitter

Re: Seeding Comments

Post by gitter »

HShockeywatcher wrote: 3A: New Ulm over Hutch despite a 4-1 Hutch win?
It happens. In '94 Cloquet beat East both times (7-6 and 7-4) in the regular season and got seeded number 2 - behind East. Cloquet was 16-6 and East was 18-4.
wallythebeerman

Post by wallythebeerman »

Section HILL/Bear - Oop's 4AA - It's been a while since this section has been up for grabs. It all depends on which team brings it's game and goalie. Tartan, Roseville, White Bear and Hill are the favorites, but Stillwater and Mounds View are serious dark horses. Stay tuned.
jj10Bruins

Post by jj10Bruins »

steelheader wrote:C'mon, everyone knows why Randolph wouldn't allow Cloquet in the 8 or 9 spot right?

I'd like to argue that CI got screwed but losing twice to a terrible, Princeton team is a hard position to argue from. Did I say Princeton is terrible? They'll lose by 4 to SF, who will in turn lose by 4 to DE.

CI v. Anoka will be close and could go either way, but it doesn't matter w/ ER next.

Cloquet will beat GR.

Andover beats Flake.

Ha funny thing is is that Princeton owned up on St Francis and beat them 9 - 3.
HShockey2180

Post by HShockey2180 »

Anyone know when the official playoff rosters must be submitted/frozen?
All Swedish, no Finish
HShockeywatcher

Stealth,
That is very cool for the ones who entered. Any idea why some are not present?
Papa Bergundy

Post by Papa Bergundy »

HShockeywatcher wrote:Stealth,
That is very cool for the ones who entered. Any idea why some are not present?
The majority of AA sections will have their seeding meeting on Sunday. Due to the fact Saturday night games were still being played.
Stay Classy, Minnesota.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

2AA and 6AA are up.

I personally would have gone with Edina with #1 in 2AA, but am not shocked by the results, nor horribly bothered. Both Edina and Jefferson have to play pretty good teams in the semis, and if Edina plays like they did against AHA in the Schwan Cup, we'll probably end up with the dream matchup in the final.

In 6AA I was a bit surprised to see Wayzata get the 3 seed over Benilde, but I get why they did it. Otherwise, everything looks right.

Both of these sections are loaded and should provide some great hockey over the next few weeks.
HShockeywatcher

karl, how is Edina/Jefferson the "dream matchup"? AHA/BJ will sell more tickets...

I am also surprised. Despite feelings about either team, but teams played a top Eden Prairie team twice, one came away 2-0, the other 1-1. That decides it for me.
hockeyjunkie2

Post by hockeyjunkie2 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:karl, how is Edina/Jefferson the "dream matchup"? AHA/BJ will sell more tickets...

I am also surprised. Despite feelings about either team, but teams played a top Eden Prairie team twice, one came away 2-0, the other 1-1. That decides it for me.
I think it works out in Edina's favor. Jefferson will face a conference team no matter what in the semi's. That always makes it harder because it's the third meeting and they are very framiliar with eachother. Also Edina was a much better team than AHA when they met earlier. Jefferson the better overall record so I'm not surprised at all by this. Does it really matter home ice is taken away by playing at a neutral site anyway.
gitter

Post by gitter »

HShockeywatcher wrote:karl, how is Edina/Jefferson the "dream matchup"? AHA/BJ will sell more tickets...
Mariucci will be packed either way.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Well, a lot of people have been hyping up this game since December or so, and it will be the ultimate test for Jefferson. There are still a lot of people out there who think these are the best two teams in the state.

Also, I'm not sure how you figure the attendance. The combined enrollments of Burnsville and AHA are very similar to those of Jefferson and Edina. I believe all 4 have very strong fan bases as well.