Great Job of Officiating

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

Mac15

Great Job of Officiating

Post by Mac15 »

It looks like every one is jumping on the band wagon of complaining about officiating. If you look at all of the threads on the board (youth, girls youth, high school and girls high school) you will see examples of this. Earlier tonight we played a 14UA game in Lakeville where we lost 3-0. Guess what, the refs had no influence on the outcome of this game. Every obvious call was made correctly. There were no missed offsides or icings. They had no pucks get stuck in their feet except one where the poor guy took a tumble.

To Joe and Joe, nice job. Keep up the good work.

Come on folks, please post your good officiating experiences.
Icehound99

Post by Icehound99 »

Mac, as a referee, I wouldn't blame you for wanting more positive comments. I wish there as well so we could retain some young guys, and gals!
jollyroger

Post by jollyroger »

There's one fashionable call going around with refs at all levels that is driving me crazy. Since I'm not reffing this year I don't know what was the focus of the preseason meetings, but that could have something to do with it.
When a player catches the puck with her glove and drops it or flips it a little bit ahead of herself to resume stickhandling, the refs are calling a hand pass. AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH! That move is perfectly legal and is not an illegal hand pass. Technically the only illegal hand pass is directed either toward a teammate or used to clear the defensive zone. Read the bleeping rules!
hockey121330

Post by hockey121330 »

The other day the refs that were doing our game did a nice job, our coach was 'barking' about what he thought was interference on a faceoff that which resulted in a nice shot from the point by the opposing team. About a minute later while the ref was in front of our bench he calmly started explaining how the player just held their ground/space and thus no call was warranted, all this will the play was going on in the nearby zone. Coaches appreciate a ref who's work doesn't go to his head and knows how to deal with situations (i.e. coaches) at certain times during the game. There are some good refs out there and yes, they need that positve recognition so that we can retain the good ones.
theref

Post by theref »

jollyroger wrote:There's one fashionable call going around with refs at all levels that is driving me crazy. Since I'm not reffing this year I don't know what was the focus of the preseason meetings, but that could have something to do with it.
When a player catches the puck with her glove and drops it or flips it a little bit ahead of herself to resume stickhandling, the refs are calling a hand pass. AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH! That move is perfectly legal and is not an illegal hand pass. Technically the only illegal hand pass is directed either toward a teammate or used to clear the defensive zone. Read the bleeping rules!
Nice post in a thread about official doing a good job.............idiot. #-o
jollyroger

Post by jollyroger »

OK then. Great job to all the officials who are correctly interpreting the illegal hand-pass rule! :)
theref

Post by theref »

jollyroger wrote:OK then. Great job to all the officials who are correctly interpreting the illegal hand-pass rule! :)
That's better. By the way, are you sure they are calling it a hand pass or are they calling the player for closing their hand on the puck?
jollyroger

Post by jollyroger »

theref wrote:
jollyroger wrote:OK then. Great job to all the officials who are correctly interpreting the illegal hand-pass rule! :)
That's better. By the way, are you sure they are calling it a hand pass or are they calling the player for closing their hand on the puck?
No, they're signaling hand pass (arm at side, palm forward, swinging it front to back).

In the U12A American tournament there is a D2 official working some games who is doing something that every referee should do at this level. When a girl does the palms up (what did I do?) action when whistled for a penalty, he calmly explains to her the rule that was broken and his reasoning for calling the penalty as they skate together to the penalty box. The girls joke about it after the game but I think they really appreciate it.
outofsite

Post by outofsite »

jollyroger wrote:
theref wrote:
No, they're signaling hand pass (arm at side, palm forward, swinging it front to back).

In the U12A American tournament there is a D2 official working some games who is doing something that every referee should do at this level. When a girl does the palms up (what did I do?) action when whistled for a penalty, he calmly explains to her the rule that was broken and his reasoning for calling the penalty as they skate together to the penalty box. The girls joke about it after the game but I think they really appreciate it.
I also like seeing this, I think it is great when refs take the time to explain to both the player and the coach. I think some day the kids should sit in the penalty box watch a video of what they did wrong and why it is not acceptible. just joking about the last part.