NAHL approves Janesville, Wisconsin membership

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

JSR

Post by JSR »

The North American Hockey League announced today that its Board of Governors has approved the membership application for a team in Janesville, Wisconsin, to begin play in 2009-10.

“We’re exited to welcome Janesville to our league,” said NAHL commissioner Mark Frankenfeld. “With such a solid ownership group in place in a community that’s already shown tremendous support for the NAHL, all the pieces are in place for success, both on and off the ice.”

Janesville’s NAHL team is owned by Wisconsin Hockey Partners, LLC, which includes Bill McCoshen, Mark Cullen, Stephen B. King, William Kennedy, Tobin Ryan, Eric P. Peterson and San Jose Sharks forward Joe Pavelski, a Wisconsin native.

“We’re very excited to bring the North American Hockey League to Wisconsin,” said McCoshen. “We believe Janesville will be a great market to develop and promote elite hockey players to the NCAA and beyond.”

The first team from Wisconsin in the NAHL’s 34-year history, the Janesville entry will play out of the Janesville Ice Arena.

The team’s nickname will be determined through a local “Name The Team” contest, which will be held in the coming weeks.

The team’s first open tryout will be held in Duluth, Minn., from June 26-28 (Mars Lakeview Arena) followed by another open tryout at the Janesville Ice Arena from July 17-19. The team’s final tryout camp is scheduled for July 30-August 2 at the Janesville Ice Arena.

For more information on the NAHL’s new team in Janesville, visit JanesvilleNAHL.com
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

That is great news!
JSR

Post by JSR »

Blue&Gold wrote:That is great news!
YEs it is great news overall. however the actually rink in Janesville needs a major renovaion. It is an older arena (I am thinking 30 years give or take) and have never really been upgraded. Further their compressor malfunctioned two weeks ago which caused some flooding issues inside. There is talk the city might approve the building of a new arena or might budget a few hundred thousand for renovations. I hope a new arena gets built but if not then hopefully the renovations will be worthwhile. But I don;t want to rain on their parade, this is still really good news and priveds yet anotehr outlet for kids to continue their hockey careers. :)
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

JSR wrote:
YEs it is great news overall. however the actually rink in Janesville needs a major renovaion. It is an older arena (I am thinking 30 years give or take) and have never really been upgraded. Further their compressor malfunctioned two weeks ago which caused some flooding issues inside. There is talk the city might approve the building of a new arena or might budget a few hundred thousand for renovations. I hope a new arena gets built but if not then hopefully the renovations will be worthwhile. But I don;t want to rain on their parade, this is still really good news and priveds yet anotehr outlet for kids to continue their hockey careers. :)
JSR, not to hijack this thread, but have the city contact the MAC (Municipal Athletic Complex) in St. Cloud, MN. They just did a major upgrade to their cooling devices and it is a newer technology that will actually pay for itself over a short period of time. (I'm too lazy to look all of this up, but an article in the past month or two talked about it in the local paper). Just to let you all know as it was a very easy decision to make as I understand it.
JSR

Post by JSR »

Blue&Gold wrote:
JSR wrote:
JSR, not to hijack this thread, but have the city contact the MAC (Municipal Athletic Complex) in St. Cloud, MN. They just did a major upgrade to their cooling devices and it is a newer technology that will actually pay for itself over a short period of time. (I'm too lazy to look all of this up, but an article in the past month or two talked about it in the local paper). Just to let you all know as it was a very easy decision to make as I understand it.
Thanks Blue&Gold but I don't actually live in Janesville. I did grow up there but haven't lived there in over 18 years. I just read the articles online as I try and keep up with my home town when I can. I thought this one was worthy of posting though consdiering it impacts young hockey players everywhere. Thanks for the advice though anyway.