MN Made Machine coming apart (as predicted)?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

CasseauCougar

MN Made Machine coming apart (as predicted)?

Post by CasseauCougar »

Heard there’s a mass exodus of players and that the ‘legendary’ coach is stepping down at the 96 level. Is someone finally finding you can’t treat players, parents, and the public the way he did? Good riddance, but I feel bad for all of the kids that gave up their summers of baseball, soccer, and family vacations for this tyrant.

=D> =D> =D> =D>
ThePuckStopsHere

Re: MN Made Machine coming apart (as predicted)?

Post by ThePuckStopsHere »

CasseauCougar wrote:Heard there’s a mass exodus of players and that the ‘legendary’ coach is stepping down at the 96 level. Is someone finally finding you can’t treat players, parents, and the public the way he did? Good riddance, but I feel bad for all of the kids that gave up their summers of baseball, soccer, and family vacations for this tyrant.

=D> =D> =D> =D>
Oh no this not the end, there is still plenty of Orange Kool-Aid drinking disciples that think Bernie McMoney is there childs ticket to the promise land. :lol: :lol: :lol:
sorno82

Post by sorno82 »

Nothing better than a BM thread to get the natives restless. For those that know, is their a common theme? Thirteen years old is the time when kids start to assert their independence.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

delete
Last edited by HockeyDad41 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
council member retired

Re: MN Made Machine coming apart (as predicted)?

Post by council member retired »

[quote="CasseauCougar"]Heard there’s a mass exodus of players and that the ‘legendary’ coach is stepping down at the 96 level. Is someone finally finding you can’t treat players, parents, and the public the way he did? Good riddance, but I feel bad for all of the kids that gave up their summers of baseball, soccer, and family vacations for this tyrant.

=D> =D> =D> =D>[/quote]

who is taking over? the 96' fire coach?
What_Im_talkin_bout

Post by What_Im_talkin_bout »

Fidler to Velocity; Nanne on the roster of the 95 Blades; Bernie to the Fire? Ya just can't write this stuff. You feel bad for those that believed but are now left behind.
fastncrash

Awesome LEADERSHIP!

Post by fastncrash »

What_Im_talkin_bout wrote:Fidler to Velocity; Nanne on the roster of the 95 Blades; Bernie to the Fire? Ya just can't write this stuff. You feel bad for those that believed but are now left behind.
Top shelf organization... NOT!!!

After one period of The Deuce being bested 3-2 by the 98 Mavs at the Northern Exposure Tournament, the "Coachs" made the players sit sholder to shoulder on the bench for some time until they were finally allowed to go to the locker room for what I would guess was an interesting Intermission break.

Following the game (which they won) the Incredible lineup of talented "Coach's" directed their little soldiers to the lockerroom without shaking hands. Just an awesome display! REALLY wish all the Parents who are looking at this organization could have seen that. :roll:
square corners

Post by square corners »

I agree with fastncrash. The "96 Machine does not have a monopoly on the dysfunctional AAA hockey team market. The '96 Blades coach hasn't shown up for recent practices. The '95 Legacy team folded recently. The '97 and '98 Deuce teams have parents who openly and regularly bash those teams' head coaches. The '98 Legacy has parents who publicly admit they want that team to lose because they are so frustrated and disappointed with that team's coaches.

Earlier this month, the Legacy owner advertised open spots for many of his teams afters players bolted from that program. (Check out the Legacy web site and Let's Play Hockey.) MM sent out e-mails in an attempt to fill open spots on some of its non-Machine AAA teams for a recent tournament.

Word has it that several MM and Legacy parents aren't paying their bills. Decisions to withhold payments may not be attributable solely to the bad economy. In those organizations, when a parent raises a concern, a common refrain from management is: "This is a business." Agreed.

But, in the current economy, any smart business understands that, in order to remain successful, it is better to keep existing paying customers happy, because it ain't necessarily easy to find replacement customers to write large checks (that clear the bank) for programs and teams that are perceived to have significant unresolved "business" (and coaching) issues.

In the end it comes down to the old adage, "buyer beware" . . .
Ram Fan

Post by Ram Fan »

Fastncrash, it was not a good day for the “98 Duece coaches.” My son played their team later yesterday for the championship game. We won. I watched on the balcony above the teams at the Heritage center. (I’ll admit I love to watch a train wreck and after hearing about the previous game I wanted to see this firsthand.) Watching these coaches was an educational experience in what teams you don’t want your kids to play on. After our second goal, one of the coaches was beside himself with rage, throwing his clipboard and stomping around screaming. Within minutes the focus shifted to yelling at the Refs, who looked like a couple of teenagers, about missed calls. The scene became almost comical when the coaches began screaming at each other about who was going to argue with the refs. I was a sad display but one couldn't help but feel bad for the 10 and 11 year olds on the bench watching and listening to the “adults” make fools of themselves. Nice example being set!
Vapor

Post by Vapor »

WOW ! All this in July...I bet the Northern folks are reading this and just shaking their heads.
TellItHowItIs

Post by TellItHowItIs »

never seizes to amaze me.
Last edited by TellItHowItIs on Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
iwearmysunglassesatnight

Post by iwearmysunglassesatnight »

[quote="TellItHowItIs"]WOW! you look at all of this and maybe this work (Kids) need Dads back on the bench teaching life lessons. some of these Non-Parent Premadona Coaches are so wrong for the kids. Whats wrong with a Kid playing the game for fun, This world has fewer MN kids in the pros now then it did when allthe dads where coaching and there was not all this AAA hockey. Go figure...

A coach is a "Teacher" - think of what some coaches do. would you allow there school teacher to do that. this thread is about 10 - 11 year olds. Thats what 4th / 5th grade. Imagine the teacher swearing at a kid becasue they had a mistake on their spelling test. Get rid of these coaches !!![/quote]

Aren't the coaches of this deuce team all parent coaches?
Was a duster and paying for it?????
Daulton911

Post by Daulton911 »

I agree with THIT.... Coaches are sappose to be Mentors, teachers, not Ass-holes.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

I think the problem with many of today's youth coaches is that they've watched the movie "Miracle" a few too many times and all try to act like Herb Brooks did with his players; make them fear him and that will make them bond with each other and play better as a team. The problem with this is that it doesn't work anymore. Not at the youth, high school, college or even pro levels thesedays. In fact, I don't believe this style has EVER worked at the youth levels.

On one hand, players should respect their coaches...but coaches have to remember what they are there for: to TEACH the game. Yelling at 4th and 5th graders has never worked and never will.
a1puck

Post by a1puck »

I have often wondered if a good prerequisite for coaching should be that you have been a parent of a kid the age you are about to coach.

A guy in his mid twenties that does not have his own kids does not grasp who they are. This is particularly true of teenage players. Somehow these young guys think these teens are more adult than what they are. They also don't grasp the idea that these kids have parents and that these parents are to be respected.

Did you ever really stop and think about the old saying "what is said in the locker room, stays in the locker room"... Why?
cooper26

Post by cooper26 »

My my, very politically incorrect! but I concur with all these posts! That's not to say that there aren't some good ones out there! For sure!! but, sadly, far too many who are clueless.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

In defense of the youngsters, there are some that do understand that age - younger siblings, helping out with younger ages as a high schooler, camp counselor, etc. I know a number of parents of 10, 12, and 14 year olds that have no clue either. These kids were likely yelled at when they played; they fall back on what they know - a viscious cycle. They are more likely to learn a different approach if someone helps them with it.

In addition, coaches don't have the luxury of the punishment/reward options available to parents. They can't take away the TV in his bedroom, or disallow him from going to the movie with his buddies, or apparently (dare I say it) chew his butt when he deserves it. I have to disagree with m&g, on a daily basis a 4th or 5th grader will behave in a manner that deserves being hollered at - it's his job. Coaches don't get a pass to be abusive any more than parents do, but they certainly need to get a kids attention and correct unwanted behaviors. The coach is also limited as he often finds praise falling on deaf ears; the kids breezers get pumped up with enough sunshine on the way home to power the zamboni.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

InigoMontoya wrote:In defense of the youngsters, there are some that do understand that age - younger siblings, helping out with younger ages as a high schooler, camp counselor, etc. I know a number of parents of 10, 12, and 14 year olds that have no clue either. These kids were likely yelled at when they played; they fall back on what they know - a viscious cycle. They are more likely to learn a different approach if someone helps them with it.

In addition, coaches don't have the luxury of the punishment/reward options available to parents. They can't take away the TV in his bedroom, or disallow him from going to the movie with his buddies, or apparently (dare I say it) chew his butt when he deserves it. I have to disagree with m&g, on a daily basis a 4th or 5th grader will behave in a manner that deserves being hollered at - it's his job. Coaches don't get a pass to be abusive any more than parents do, but they certainly need to get a kids attention and correct unwanted behaviors. The coach is also limited as he often finds praise falling on deaf ears; the kids breezers get pumped up with enough sunshine on the way home to power the zamboni.
I'm not saying that coaches can NEVER raise their voice to a young player, but you have to do it the right way or the kid may just check out. A good coach is one that can communicate what he expects of the players in a way that the kids understand him and can hold the players accountable for their actions...you don't necessarily have to yell and scream to do this, but sometimes raising your voice is needed to get through to some kids.

IMO, putting the fear of Jesus into players and creating an atmosphere where the kids are afraid to make mistakes is the wrong approach and will cause some kids to quit the game. I've seen it happen more than a few times....
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

I misunderstood. I thought when you said never, you were saying never. Otherwise, I agree with you.

Re-emphasize: there is little a coach can do to purge a kids head of, "I don't care what your coach says, you shoot from the goal line instead of passing to your open teamate in the slot. Gretzky says you miss 100% of the shots you don't take, and your coach is certainly no Gretzky."
ThePuckStopsHere

So what posses a coach to pull the curtains at practice so the parents can't watch? Or what posses a coach to make an and 8 year old stand in the corner and jump up and down till they can't move because they weren't listening? Or what posses a coach to make his players dress up like used cars salesman on a 90 degree August day. Or what posses a coach to make is kids not celebrate after scoring a goal? Or what posses a coach to make is team stand at the blue line and stare at the score because his team is getting beat?

Is it - Age? Stupidity? Greed? Arrogance? or Brilliance?

C'mon you Orange Kool-Aid drinking disciples stand up and defend your God!! :wink:
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

delete
Last edited by HockeyDad41 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ThePuckStopsHere

HockeyDad41 wrote:
ThePuckStopsHere wrote:So what posses a coach to pull the curtains at practice so the parents can't watch? Or what posses a coach to make an and 8 year old stand in the corner and jump up and down till they can't move because they weren't listening? Or what posses a coach to make his players dress up like used cars salesman on a 90 degree August day. Or what posses a coach to make is kids not celebrate after scoring a goal? Or what posses a coach to make is team stand at the blue line and stare at the score because his team is getting beat?

C'mon you Orange Kool-Aid drinking disciples stand up and defend your God!! :wink:
Posses?
Main Entry: pos·sess
Pronunciation: \pə-ˈzes also -ˈses\
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French possesser to have possession of, take possession of, from Latin possessus, past participle of possidēre, from potis able, having the power + sedēre to sit — more at potent, sit

Sorry HockeyDad41 I missed the last S, figures though you wouldn't get the point :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

ThePuckStopsHere wrote:
HockeyDad41 wrote:
ThePuckStopsHere wrote:So what posses a coach to pull the curtains at practice so the parents can't watch? Or what posses a coach to make an and 8 year old stand in the corner and jump up and down till they can't move because they weren't listening? Or what posses a coach to make his players dress up like used cars salesman on a 90 degree August day. Or what posses a coach to make is kids not celebrate after scoring a goal? Or what posses a coach to make is team stand at the blue line and stare at the score because his team is getting beat?

Posses?
Main Entry: pos·sess
Pronunciation: \pə-ˈzes also -ˈses\
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French possesser to have possession of, take possession of, from Latin possessus, past participle of possidēre, from potis able, having the power + sedēre to sit — more at potent, sit

Sorry HockeyDad41 I missed the last S, figures though you wouldn't get the point :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Possesses :wink:
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

delete
Last edited by HockeyDad41 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haute hockeymom

Post by Haute hockeymom »

[ Or what posses a coach to make his players dress up like used cars salesman on a 90 degree August day.]

Quit ripping on the Auto Trade!

90 degrees in August? That would be nice!

pos·se (pŏs'ē)
PL posses

A group of people summoned by a sheriff to aid in law enforcement.
A search party.
A gang involved in crimes such as running guns and illegal narcotics trafficking.
Slang A group of friends or associates.
Everytime I think I'm out, they pull me back in