Teams to watch this winter 12U A

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

HockeyDad35

Teams to watch this winter 12U A

Post by HockeyDad35 »

What 12UA teams are going to be great this year?? I know its early but what do you think? Rank the top 8
jollyroger

Post by jollyroger »

This isn't my bag, and who can tell if a team is going to be great, but:

EP
Lakeville North
Stillwater
Edina
Centennial
Roseville
Wayzata
Burnsville
Mpls. Park
Anoka?
Blaine?
HockeyDad35

Post by HockeyDad35 »

Roseau, Thief River Falls, and Moorhead will have good teams this winter.
D10RoXyourSoX

Post by D10RoXyourSoX »

In D10 Elk River may get a shot in the arm with the few 10 move ups that may or may not make a difference but may not be enough to compete with the Blaines and Andovers of 10. Anoka has a stand out player that will make a difference against weaker teams but will not come out of the D10 pool. Blaine is always the favorite they are returning a good number of players into their mix along with a few good first year 12 players so look out for the rough, tough Bengals. Champlain has some pieces to work with, a better than average goalie and a decent line with a good group of competitors but may not be enough either to make a difference in a large district. Centennial will come with something to say as they always do, they have a decent group returning and the head coach from last year is back as well. The power comes from the B teams, State Runner up last year in 12B has to give them a boost to "been there done that" depending on the number of players from that team. Sounds like that 12B team will be tough again this year with their runner-up coach returning as well, he has quit a bit of numbers to choose from. Princeton was at the State Tournament for 12B too and placed 3rd I believe, they have a decision to make, do they play A and compete as a mediocre team or do the play B and maybe get an invite back to the 12B state tournament????. Andover, do they have the coaching/goaltending to come back and compete, their numbers are down and so will the talent pool, but give that group a big slap on the back for competing near the top every year.

Lots to sort out in D10 - whats to do?

IMO - BLAINE (GO BLUE?)
redarmydad

D10 Teams

Post by redarmydad »

First off Champlin Park is not even going A and 2 of there better skaters have already waived into Blaine, and on that Blaine is hurting for numbers as well, a girl from Forest Lake is trying to Waive into Blaine and has been told she is welcome as long as she gets waived out from her association. Elk River is getting a few bumps because of the new rule about playing where you go to school and there head coach has got some talent. Don't know much about Andover. I know that the District 5 teams that have been waiving into D10 are not aloud to this year because there own district is fielding 5 A teams. Centennial is going to be ok with 5 returners from there 12A and 5 from the 2 12B teams plus a strong showing from the U10 team from last year and an above average goalie. I don't think Spring Lake Park is fielding an A team as well. I have heard there numbers are low and one of there top player suffered an unfortunate injury to her MCL in the off season and is out for the regular season, I could be mistaken though. As far as Mora and Cambridge I have not heard what they are doing or who they are merging with. Last year they had a 3 way merge with North Branch Cambridge and Mora so who knows where they are heading.

P.S. Lets Go Centennial!!!!!! Good luck everyone! Love the Game!
PG3319

Post by PG3319 »

Top three
EP
EDINA
THIEF RIVER FALLS
then put them in any order
STILLWATER
LAKEVILLE NORTH
MPLS PARK
MOORHEAD
ELK RIVER
BLAINE
COTTAGE GROVE
U10Father

Post by U10Father »

It's too damn early for this.

Everyone could predict that Eden Prairie and Edina will be good, they generally are, and these two teams will be second-year heavy with large majorities of their teams having played A as first-years.

Is Lakeville playing together or North/South? Together they're awesome.

All those D10 teams are big, fast and deep.

At U10, this Rochester team was probably best in state, but they're not real deep.

Wayzata is always good.

Don't sleep on Minnetonka this year.

I'm not buying into any of the hype from up north.
PG3319

Post by PG3319 »

Blaine has 3 waive in's new this year same with Elk River with kids waiving in The HYPE up north is that TRF has 2 goalies and nearly an entire team returning from last years 12A State tournament run. Lakeville is split North and South. We will see on Wayzata, and Minnetonka was really good at 10's and 14's so you might have some thing there but they lack experience at the 12A level.
Nhockeydad

Post by Nhockeydad »

U10 Father - Come up North and be the judge for yourself. Your almost comparing two different states. Hence why you guys down south call it outstate!! :lol:
Passthefoil

Post by Passthefoil »

U10Father - quit with the Rochester talk! - That was 2 years ago and your star player at the U10 level could go end to end and score at will. That will not be the case at the 12A level. Three words why she will not: Bigger - Faster - Stronger

Revise your post and come back with a little more bite than "2 years ago" past memories. TRF.... really, they have a cake walk region to state, who else do they play..... oh I forgot Mount Iron, Orr, Buhl, Cherry, Silver Bay etc... I like the North but lets be realistic.

Its about numbers, numbers, numbers; the bigger pond to fish from, the better the line up. You are almost right about something PG - EP, Edina will compete for top prize with in March.
HockeyDad35

Post by HockeyDad35 »

Actually TRF doesnt play any of those teams. Actually I don't think they are even A teams? The fact that TRF did very well at state last year and they have alot of girls returning means they should do well this year. Also Roseau, Bemidji, and Moorhead will also have good teams this year it should be a great year.
Mac15

Post by Mac15 »

PTF, I'm not going to predict how good any team is at this point in the year especially since tryouts haven't even started yet (at least here). But, the Rochester player that you were mentioning has in fact experienced the Bigger, Faster, Stronger competition last year. She played 12UA as a 10 year old last year and will have two more years of 12U eligibility. You are correct in that a goal line to goal line player can dominate at younger levels but as they get older the passing game becomes more important.
sloughfoot

Good Northern U12's

Post by sloughfoot »

We moved north last year and we had a chance to see how the talent rates with the cities. Proctor had a good B team last year, but I don't think they'll be fielding an A team. Cloquet hasn't had anything to crow about, and Duluth had a decent 10A last year. Grand Rapids and Cloquet have the numbers, but are weak in goaltending. I-Falls, Roseau and Warroad have teams, but don't play anyone and neither do most other northern teams until you get out to Moorehead, Theif and down to St. Cloud. Rumor has it Duluth will be fielding an A team, and I think Duluth will compete in 10/11 while Proctor may make a leap with their 96 and 97's next year for the 14's.
Pens4

Post by Pens4 »

HockeyDad35 wrote:Actually TRF doesnt play any of those teams. Actually I don't think they are even A teams? The fact that TRF did very well at state last year and they have alot of girls returning means they should do well this year. Also Roseau, Bemidji, and Moorhead will also have good teams this year it should be a great year.
We played some of the TRF girls this summer and they are talented and have been well coached. They are coming down later in October and playing some really good squads. It should be a good early season barometer to how the north and south compare.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Passthefoil wrote:
oh I forgot Mount Iron ITS MOUNTAIN IRON BUT THEY DO NOT HAVE A HOCKEY ASSOCIATION.

Orr - NOPE, NO HOCKEY ASSN.

Buhl - DITTO

Cherry - DITTO BUT A GOOD YOUTH BASEBALL AND SOFTBALL PROGRAM.

Silver Bay - AHH, YES, THERE IS A HOCKEY PROGRAM HERE.

etc... I like the North but lets be realistic.

elliott70

Re: Good Northern U12's

Post by elliott70 »

sloughfoot wrote:We moved north last year and we had a chance to see how the talent rates with the cities. Proctor had a good B team last year, but I don't think they'll be fielding an A team. Cloquet hasn't had anything to crow about, and Duluth had a decent 10A last year. Grand Rapids and Cloquet have the numbers, but are weak in goaltending. I-Falls, Roseau and Warroad have teams, but don't play anyone and neither do most other northern teams until you get out to Moorehead (ITS MOORHEAD), Theif and down to St. Cloud. Rumor has it Duluth will be fielding an A team, and I think Duluth will compete in 10/11 while Proctor may make a leap with their 96 and 97's next year for the 14's.
Actually Roseau and Warroad play the same teams Thief River Falls and Moorhead play. Their schedules are very similar.

Roseau, Warroad and Thief River Falls are in District 16. D16 usually has 6 or 7 12UA teams within its District and usually bring Brainerd and Moorhead in with them for a 12UA league along with East Grand Forks, Crookston, Bemidji and Lake of the Woods.
sinbin

12UA

Post by sinbin »

EP and Edina will be very good, with EP perhaps with the better team and Edina with the better goaltender. 12UB's don't make much of an impact when moving to A's. HUGE difference between A's and B's at that age group, especially amonst elite teams. Lakeville finally split into North and South after merging teams for many years and failing to win the coveted state championship, but I hear North is very good. All said, it's still VERY early, but you'll see most of the usual suspects there at the end.
TriedThat2

Post by TriedThat2 »

I think you guys are missing a sleeper out there. STMA (North Wright County) will be tough, and very competitive. Small team, they need to stay healthy.
U10Father

Post by U10Father »

I've seen both Edina & EP.

EP will be better. Edina has some small kids who don't have a great instinct and can be physically overpowered. EP is generally big, fast, experienced and they will probably push Edina around.
mnhcp

Top 3

Post by mnhcp »

Deleted
Last edited by mnhcp on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
knights58

Post by knights58 »

not sure what it means...but North Wright County has scrimmaged EP without their 3 best NWC players and tied 4-4, scrimmaged Lakeville South and beat them 6-5, and beat Blaine 3-0. It's early, but expect them to be in the mix......
MaxSnatch

Post by MaxSnatch »

TriedThat2 wrote:I think you guys are missing a sleeper out there. STMA (North Wright County) will be tough, and very competitive. Small team, they need to stay healthy.
So were are the girls from that make up this team?
Pens4

Post by Pens4 »

MaxSnatch wrote:
TriedThat2 wrote:I think you guys are missing a sleeper out there. STMA (North Wright County) will be tough, and very competitive. Small team, they need to stay healthy.
So were are the girls from that make up this team?
They are from the St. Michaels, Albertville, Big Lake area....a great group of kids.

Anybody have the OMG- Orono score from last night? And the clash of the titans Edina- Anoka?
mnhcp

Post by mnhcp »

Edina
Eden Prairie
TRF
Centennial
NWC
Lakeville South
Last edited by mnhcp on Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Woodbury Goalie

Re: Teams to watch this winter 12U A

Post by Woodbury Goalie »

I am a bit surprised that there is no mention of Woodbury U12A. Their first scrimmage against Eden Prairie was the first time the team was all together due to all the girls being sick. Since then they're undefeated. I would say Eden Prairie is clearly #1, probably Edina #2, and then about 10 teams that could be #3 based on how well they play on a given day.