SSP Hockey

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

PaulSchmyr

SSP Hockey

Post by PaulSchmyr » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:08 pm

This is an honest question in response to reading about SSP hockey. One of the coaches and I go way back and I am familiar with the program and after reading the posts, I called him to ask what was going on. I asked, "are you running a passive forecheck?" "No". "Are you locking the center and not letting him below the dots or something?" "No". "Are you limiting the defensemen"? "No. Not much." After a couple more questions, I got to thinking what it means to coach a defensive system. If the team doesn't limit the forecheck, limit defensemen, or have really strict offensive rules, what makes the system a defensive one? I know those guys and I know they try to coach good team hockey. They live in the community, care a lot about the kids, and have been both lucky to coach some good ones. I think they've had 2 100 point defensemen, some other really skilled guys, and the next SSP NHL'er in Al Stalock. Being an alum, I wish they had made the state tourney a few more times, but the fact is they still are competitive and are working to teach not only hockey, but life skills as well. I feel really good about the program. Not many other first rung suburban old programs are able to compete at their level. I read this forum for info, appreciate that most posters are positive, and wish everyone, SSP fans especially, a Merry Christmas!

HappyHockeyFan

Re: SSP Hockey

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:03 pm

PaulSchmyr wrote:This is an honest question in response to reading about SSP hockey. One of the coaches and I go way back and I am familiar with the program and after reading the posts, I called him to ask what was going on. I asked, "are you running a passive forecheck?" "No". "Are you locking the center and not letting him below the dots or something?" "No". "Are you limiting the defensemen"? "No. Not much." After a couple more questions, I got to thinking what it means to coach a defensive system. If the team doesn't limit the forecheck, limit defensemen, or have really strict offensive rules, what makes the system a defensive one? I know those guys and I know they try to coach good team hockey. They live in the community, care a lot about the kids, and have been both lucky to coach some good ones. I think they've had 2 100 point defensemen, some other really skilled guys, and the next SSP NHL'er in Al Stalock. Being an alum, I wish they had made the state tourney a few more times, but the fact is they still are competitive and are working to teach not only hockey, but life skills as well. I feel really good about the program. Not many other first rung suburban old programs are able to compete at their level. I read this forum for info, appreciate that most posters are positive, and wish everyone, SSP fans especially, a Merry Christmas!
Half the team is from Inver Grove Heights...without all the players that cross the border to play for SSP they wouldnt be competitive...they should be called SSP Traders...lol
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB

bghockey

SSP Hockey

Post by bghockey » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:43 am

Reality is being an inner ring suburb the youth numbers are not what they used to be. The Packer coaches and player's have done a great job despite this. Keep up the great work! Go Packers!

HappyHockeyFan

Re: SSP Hockey

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:21 am

bghockey wrote:Reality is being an inner ring suburb the youth numbers are not what they used to be. The Packer coaches and player's have done a great job despite this. Keep up the great work! Go Packers!
You meant to say "Go Traders!!" right ??

no-fly-bys

Post by no-fly-bys » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:22 pm

Can't we all just get along! They all go to SSP for the education, just like when kids go to private schools, they go for the education not the hockey. Anyways IGH is very screwed up right now. How can they not field a JV team in a community of 40,000? BIG PROBLEMS>

mikeanderson

Post by mikeanderson » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:43 pm

HappyHockeyFan- Traders? Though it may be true that there are a few igh guys on ssp's team, I wouldn't go so far to say it is HALF. And I definitely wouldn't say they are "competitive" ONLY because they have IGH players. Maybe there are a FEW more than in the past due to the youth being combined, but that's a natural progression as the kids start playing together at the youth level.

Think of it this way, go check out SSP's team zip codes and compare those with that of Hill, St. Thomas, Holy Angels, Benilde, Cretin, etc...
Those rosters would reflect a team representing cities all over the metro where SSP's would include maybe two communities and an exception somewhere...

SSP is gaining their players from River Heights, and so can IGH-so it's fair game.

Not to speak from a perspective against IGH in any way, but good for SSP for achieving players from a bit of a different youth set up.

Which leads to my next point, no-fly-bys- we all do get along because we love hockey and are passionate about the sport, so just because there are various thoughts on a subject- we can shoot back and forth...

So with that I felt I'd comment on the idea that they "ALL go to the school for the education" and not the hockey...

If you were correct on that front regarding private schools, it'd sure be ironic how all of those kids seeking out an education conveniently also make up the ALL STAR TEAMS of high school hockey.

If SSP gains a bit from the IGH/SSP merger, good for them.

The original blurb about SSP came off to criticizing and didn't take off enough to get full circle to talk about and continue the positive aspects-which need to be addressed and to be honest-focused on...so just to let everyone know, the Pack is the best around if you ask me do I think they can progress throughout the season and beat the big boys this year? Yes and I hope they do!

HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:31 am

mikeanderson wrote:HappyHockeyFan- Traders? Though it may be true that there are a few igh guys on ssp's team, I wouldn't go so far to say it is HALF. And I definitely wouldn't say they are "competitive" ONLY because they have IGH players. Maybe there are a FEW more than in the past due to the youth being combined, but that's a natural progression as the kids start playing together at the youth level.

Think of it this way, go check out SSP's team zip codes and compare those with that of Hill, St. Thomas, Holy Angels, Benilde, Cretin, etc...
Those rosters would reflect a team representing cities all over the metro where SSP's would include maybe two communities and an exception somewhere...

SSP is gaining their players from River Heights, and so can IGH-so it's fair game.

Not to speak from a perspective against IGH in any way, but good for SSP for achieving players from a bit of a different youth set up.

Which leads to my next point, no-fly-bys- we all do get along because we love hockey and are passionate about the sport, so just because there are various thoughts on a subject- we can shoot back and forth...

So with that I felt I'd comment on the idea that they "ALL go to the school for the education" and not the hockey...

If you were correct on that front regarding private schools, it'd sure be ironic how all of those kids seeking out an education conveniently also make up the ALL STAR TEAMS of high school hockey.

The original blurb about SSP came off to criticizing and didn't take off enough to get full circle to talk about and continue the positive aspects-which need to be addressed and to be honest-focused on...so just to let everyone know, the Pack is the best around if you ask me do I think they can progress throughout the season and beat the big boys this year? Yes and I hope they do!
Ok, 5 players that I am sure of that are from IGH are K.Burke, Z.Hendrikson, M.Pilot,M.Grundtner and S.Ward. Maybe not the cream of the crop but nevertheless contributers night in and night out. Had these players stayed in their home town Simley might have won a few games by now. It just comes down to a loyalty thing, as an association you develop players and hope to reap the rewards when they reach High school, only to have them go play for the rival team next door. YES, realize this happens everywhere, but at much higher and more regular rate between Simley and SSP, this has been a problem for ten years now. The last time Simley went to the State tournament and made it to the Championship game against Warroad, I dont recall the exact year right now, but they could have won the whole thing had the best players from IGH stayed in IGH like Mike Pilot and Jared Stewart. I just find it disgusting that their is no loyalty in IGH. And if you have ever seen a Simley/SSP game it is brutal. There is so much hatred between the teams because of the traders you end up with a game that is all about trying to hurt the other teams players, lots of penalties....its rediculous..I guess at the very least they need to combine programs and call it River Heights like they do at Bantams and I think Peewee A. But until them I call them the TRADERS !!

no-fly-bys

Post by no-fly-bys » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:22 am

I don't like the word traders. So every kid who chooses to go to a private school is a trader, Right? I am not a big fan of kids leaving there town to play in other schools but until the high school league does something it won't change. A family has all the right to send there kids to other schools but to send a non catholic kid to a catholic school is he going there for education? Maybe the parents should make there mind up in 1st grade which school they will attend all the way up through. I just throw my hands up in the air when there family moves there kids b/c hockey in there town is not good enough. On the River Hieghts team there are a few kids leaving both SSP and IGH to go private next year, Is it right? No but the family does have the right according to the league..
HappyHockeyFan wrote:
mikeanderson wrote:HappyHockeyFan- Traders? Though it may be true that there are a few igh guys on ssp's team, I wouldn't go so far to say it is HALF. And I definitely wouldn't say they are "competitive" ONLY because they have IGH players. Maybe there are a FEW more than in the past due to the youth being combined, but that's a natural progression as the kids start playing together at the youth level.

Ok, 5 players that I am sure of that are from IGH are K.Burke, Z.Hendrikson, M.Pilot,M.Grundtner and S.Ward. Maybe not the cream of the crop but nevertheless contributers night in and night out. Had these players stayed in their home town Simley might have won a few games by now. It just comes down to a loyalty thing, as an association you develop players and hope to reap the rewards when they reach High school, only to have them go play for the rival team next door. YES, realize this happens everywhere, but at much higher and more regular rate between Simley and SSP, this has been a problem for ten years now. The last time Simley went to the State tournament and made it to the Championship game against Warroad, I dont recall the exact year right now, but they could have won the whole thing had the best players from IGH stayed in IGH like Mike Pilot and Jared Stewart. I just find it disgusting that their is no loyalty in IGH. And if you have ever seen a Simley/SSP game it is brutal. There is so much hatred between the teams because of the traders you end up with a game that is all about trying to hurt the other teams players, lots of penalties....its rediculous..I guess at the very least they need to combine programs and call it River Heights like they do at Bantams and I think Peewee A. But until them I call them the TRADERS !!

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:19 pm

Do you mean "Traitor"? If you're going to bad mouth someone at least use proper English.

mikeanderson

Post by mikeanderson » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:44 pm

[quote="Chris J"]Do you mean "Traitor"? If you're going to bad mouth someone at least use proper English.[/quote]

Yeah, thank you Chris...I used that word(?) to reply to the post - I'm assuming he or she meant "traitor" by their context (as it could have meant players being "traitors" against thier towns, then I was just overall baffled and wondering why it was "traders"...I just went with it, whether they meant "traitors" or "traders" it definitely wasn't Packers so...I just tried to comment on their changing the nickname and other comments...sometimes you need to have a dictionary and a speak & spell to read this thing!

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:42 am

mikeanderson wrote:
Chris J wrote:Do you mean "Traitor"? If you're going to bad mouth someone at least use proper English.
Yeah, thank you Chris...I used that word(?) to reply to the post - I'm assuming he or she meant "traitor" by their context (as it could have meant players being "traitors" against thier towns, then I was just overall baffled and wondering why it was "traders"...I just went with it, whether they meant "traitors" or "traders" it definitely wasn't Packers so...I just tried to comment on their changing the nickname and other comments...sometimes you need to have a dictionary and a speak & spell to read this thing!
Actually, I was referring to the original poster :D

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:43 pm

Out of the 5 players you are talking about ALL of them except Pilot and Hendrikson went to PRIVATE school through 8th grade. All of the freinds they made went to SSP for high school so they followed them. IGH not only has lost players too SSP but St Thomas HM and CD. Pilot and Hendricksons PARENTS had issues with the IGH school in 7th or 8th grade and moved there kids. IGH now has a good coaching staff which they have not had since before they went to state and will improve over the next few years. from what I have been told all IGH players will stay in IGH other then Kahle that is @ St Thomas already. yes there are 40,000 in IGH but I know IHG to be a Wrestling community. State Champions: 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2008 & 2009 Not a hockey community.
So maybe IGH and SSP should merge hockey and wrestling and be done.

HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:43 pm

Jerry wrote:Out of the 5 players you are talking about ALL of them except Pilot and Hendrikson went to PRIVATE school through 8th grade. All of the freinds they made went to SSP for high school so they followed them. IGH not only has lost players too SSP but St Thomas HM and CD. Pilot and Hendricksons PARENTS had issues with the IGH school in 7th or 8th grade and moved there kids. IGH now has a good coaching staff which they have not had since before they went to state and will improve over the next few years. from what I have been told all IGH players will stay in IGH other then Kahle that is @ St Thomas already. yes there are 40,000 in IGH but I know IHG to be a Wrestling community. State Champions: 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2008 & 2009 Not a hockey community.
So maybe IGH and SSP should merge hockey and wrestling and be done.
The same excuse was used for Mike Pilot when they moved him to SSP, problems with the school. Truth was they thought SSP had the better program and chance to get to the State tournament. Too bad for Mike, he could have played in the Championship game and maybe helped win a Championship for himself and Simley. Another truth is that Lagoo is a horrible coach, he ruined Mike Pilot. Did you see his play in the State Tournament? Terrible, coming out of Bantams he was a highly rated player that under Lagoo's poor coaching never reached his potential. Coach Chris Lonke was good coach but still lost players to SSP, why would you think this latest coaching team will do any better? They will still lose plenty of players to SSP. Yes they should combine programs, call them River Heights, at least maybe then IGH/Simley would get some credit for the players they develop instead of SSP. And finally let me just say I hope Eagan kicks SSP arse hard in this Monday's tournament semi-final. I will be there to watch. Later.

puckhouse27

Post by puckhouse27 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:49 am

happyhockeyfan, why do you call yourself that when u seem so unhappy are you mad that simley is horrible and some players chose to leave? Players leave programs all over that state its just that way it is so get over it. I think its funny how you are bashing Mike Pilot the year they went to state he had 36 goals and in the playoffs sections had 5 goals and in state i believe had 4 points. The ssp coaching staff didnt ruin or prevent mike Pilot from reaching his potential at all he made the select 15 and 16 teams played 2 years elite 1 and had 146 career points and went on to play in the u.s.h.l. for tri city storm for 3 seasons and was plagued by inguries so if anything kept him from reaching his potential it was 2 knee surgeries and a shoulder surgery so before you go bashing a program with 27 plus state tournament appearances and a coaching staff and a player i suggest you get your facts straight buddy. This site is for promoting highschool hockey hockey and the great players, coaches and fans around the state not bashing people so why dont you get over the past move on and worry about something better because you can not control what other people choose to do whether u like it or not and bashing them will only make u look bad.

HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:48 am

puckhouse27 wrote:happyhockeyfan, why do you call yourself that when u seem so unhappy are you mad that simley is horrible and some players chose to leave? Players leave programs all over that state its just that way it is so get over it. I think its funny how you are bashing Mike Pilot the year they went to state he had 36 goals and in the playoffs sections had 5 goals and in state i believe had 4 points. The ssp coaching staff didnt ruin or prevent mike Pilot from reaching his potential at all he made the select 15 and 16 teams played 2 years elite 1 and had 146 career points and went on to play in the u.s.h.l. for tri city storm for 3 seasons and was plagued by inguries so if anything kept him from reaching his potential it was 2 knee surgeries and a shoulder surgery so before you go bashing a program with 27 plus state tournament appearances and a coaching staff and a player i suggest you get your facts straight buddy. This site is for promoting highschool hockey hockey and the great players, coaches and fans around the state not bashing people so why dont you get over the past move on and worry about something better because you can not control what other people choose to do whether u like it or not and bashing them will only make u look bad.
Seems like a struck a nerve with you...buddy. So before you have a stroke let me just say that first of all I know ALL about Pilot's history, I actually know the family very well and my son spent many hours skating on their home made ice rink when we lived in IGH. Mike Pilot is a great kid and did very well in his hockey career. And yes I know all about the injuries as well. I am guessing I know a few other things that you dont even know but not going to get into them. I watched Mike play hockey from peewee's on and I know what kind of player he was and what he was capable of. I also know that the way Lagoo used him in High school was not good for his development. I know what I saw in IGH and what I saw in SSP was not the same. Yes he did put up good numbers, but they could have been better and his overall play could have been. He should have shined in the State Tournament, but he almost invisible. Coach Lonke would have gotten the most out of his players because he pushed them to be their best. How do you think he got his team to Class A Championship game? Great goaltending, yes. But that was not a highly talented team, they worked VERY hard for everything they got and it was Coach Lonke who got them to reach their very potential. Last of all...buddy...I understand all about kids leaving their programs for greener pastures, some of them private schools, some from class A to AA schools and usually 1 or 2 exceptional players from a single team. In the case of IGH to SSP the program is same class, its not a private school and certainly not better, if it is its only because of the Simley transfers. If the kids that transfer would realize this they could have success at Simley. More kids leave Simley and transfer to SSP than any other school in the state of MN, there was an article in Pioneer Press about it several years ago. So yes..buddy..I DO have an issue with the Simley transfers whether you like it or not. As for the 5 transfers on SSP this year, I know them all personally, decent kids, my kid played with them in youth hockey. But not very loyal, thats too bad. Oh and one more thing, SSP has a great history but Lagoo has done nothing to add to it, so I will bash him. See ya...buddy.

puckhouse27

Post by puckhouse27 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:42 am

happyhockeyfan, I am a follower of ssp hockey team and players who have played for them. I think its funny how you think that chris lonke would have made Mike Pilot or who ever else that left simley better hockey players. Chris lonke led a simley team dominated by seniors to the state tournament in 03 and got very good goaltending and never did anything after that year so i dont know how you can bash the ssp coaching staff and say chris lonke would have gotten more out of players than ssp would have because it seems like there track record is about the same, ssp senior dominated team in 04 went to state and also got good goaltending. So thats why i dont understand how you can bash the coaching at ssp because its seems like they have the same track record with ssp also reaching the section final about 2 years ago also with a team that wasnt very talented but just played really hard did chris lonke ever repeat any sucess after the 03 season? I know your going to say that in 04 ssp had mike pilot. louie lamanna, chris ward, ryan and nick st. martin dan gish and let me guess they are all traitors right ? Like a previous poster said all of them besides mike pilot went to holy trinity private school through 8th grade in ssp had alot of ssp friends so went to ssp parents just happen to live in igh. The same in true for some of the ssp players that are on ssp this year and you can say what you want but no matter how good the players are or arent 2 to 3 players could not help simleys hockey team. i believe teams are made up of more than 3 to 5 players. also for you information heres a scoring chart of ssp and igh players since 1999 who have 30 points or more enjoy. Stats - All Time Leading Scorers.pdf

puckhouse27

Post by puckhouse27 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:48 am

Career Scoring Leaders Since 1999
Carreer Points Since 1999 (25 plus points)

Players Name Position Years Played Goals Assists Total Points

Mike Pilot Forward 2001‐05 88 58 146
Nick Stalock Forward 2000‐04 59 69 128
Zach Palmquist Defense 2005‐09 33 75 108
Cody Schwantes Forward 2004‐08 64 39 103
Mark Bernier Defense 2000‐04 31 64 95
Brett Crowe Forward 2002‐05 45 44 89
Louie LaManna Forward 2001‐04 52 26 78
Ryan Miller Forward 2005‐09 29 42 71
Sam Price Forward 2005‐08 26 28 54
Ryan Leadens Forward 1999‐03 23 22 45
Dan Miller Forward 1999‐03 21 24 45
Nikko Mikacevich Forward 2005‐08 16 28 44
Mike Fisher Forward 1999‐02 18 23 41
Bryan Nelson Defense 1999‐01 15 26 41
John Corbo Forward 1999‐02 14 26 40
Mike Paape Defense 1999‐01 20 19 39
Tom Menozzi Forward 2003‐05 13 23 36
Cody Marks Forward 1999‐00 12 21 33
Jeff Miller Forward 2002‐05 14 18 32
Mike Ward Forward 2004‐08 11 21 32
Josh Eckl Forward 2003‐05 17 13 30
Brandon Price Forward 1999‐00 14 14 28
Nate Asper Defense 2005‐08 7 20 27
David Cosgrove Forward 2002‐04 11 14 25
Matt Miller Forward 1999‐00 10 15 25

Carreer Goals Since 1999

Players Name Position Years Played Goals

Mike Pilot Forward 2001‐05 88
Cody Schwantes Forward 2004‐08 64
Nick Stalock Forward 2000‐04 59
Louie LaManna Forward 2001‐04 52
Brett Crowe Forward 2002‐05 45

Carreer Assists Since 1999

Players Name Position Years Played Assists

Zach Palmquist Defense 2005‐09 75
Nick Stalock Forward 2000‐04 69
Mark Bernier Defense 2000‐04 64
Mike Pilot Forward 2001‐05 58
Brett Crowe Forward 2002‐05 44

sorry last one didnt work but now you can see the contributions of "traitors" from igh and home grown ssp kids. im sure you know all the kids that left over the years so you can figure it out.

ahemsky1006

Post by ahemsky1006 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:38 am

happyhockeyfan who has simleys coaching ever made into a good player or how many good teams have they ever had? lagoo has produced many d1 recruits and has just added another to his list.

ahemsky1006

Post by ahemsky1006 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:45 am

oh yea simley has had some really solid teams the past few years with all that simley homegrown igh program. and 2 of simleys top players have quit this year so if u cant even convince the kids that are on your team to play that must mean u have a great run program over there

pantherfan

Post by pantherfan » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:33 am

It will be interesting to see over the next 3 years how the 2 teams do. The last 2 D1 players to come out of IGH was Gary Marion 80 81 time frame and Davenport in the 2000's time frame. I also have heard that with the departure of 2 players from IGH the team actually is in better shape. Now rumors have it, one of the A bantam 1st year players from SSP will be moving to HM next year that will hurt SSP as he is a very good player. However with only 4 seniors leaving they should be good for 2 more years. After that it looks down hill from there as there numbers drop off big time. IGH seems to have a deeper pool coming in the next few years. IGH also has an 8th grader that could have played Varsity this year along with the other 4 IGH 2nd year bantams at either school SSP or IGH. Once wilcox leaves I am not so sure SSP will be any better off then IGH. SSP has also had some pretty good players developed by IGH play for them. So yes SSP coach will look better in the long run. but lets see what happens down the road as IGH has more numbers then SSP right now. Lets see if the coach can keep players in IGH or if they move. Either way it will still be fun to watch all the kids in the State of Hockey compete no matter where they play or live.

Pantherfan

Reg7

D1 players

Post by Reg7 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:54 pm

pantherfan wrote:It will be interesting to see over the next 3 years how the 2 teams do. The last 2 D1 players to come out of IGH was Gary Marion 80 81 time frame and Davenport in the 2000's time frame. I also have heard that with the departure of 2 players from IGH the team actually is in better shape. Now rumors have it, one of the A bantam 1st year players from SSP will be moving to HM next year that will hurt SSP as he is a very good player. However with only 4 seniors leaving they should be good for 2 more years. After that it looks down hill from there as there numbers drop off big time. IGH seems to have a deeper pool coming in the next few years. IGH also has an 8th grader that could have played Varsity this year along with the other 4 IGH 2nd year bantams at either school SSP or IGH. Once wilcox leaves I am not so sure SSP will be any better off then IGH. SSP has also had some pretty good players developed by IGH play for them. So yes SSP coach will look better in the long run. but lets see what happens down the road as IGH has more numbers then SSP right now. Lets see if the coach can keep players in IGH or if they move. Either way it will still be fun to watch all the kids in the State of Hockey compete no matter where they play or live.

Pantherfan
I think Scott Bell was D1 at the U of Minn and Eric Rud was at Colorado College... after Marion was 2 D1 players in '84...Mike Nightengale and Bill Brown both drafted as well...just trying to help with the facts...

HappyHockeyFan

Re: D1 players

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:28 am

Reg7 wrote:
pantherfan wrote:It will be interesting to see over the next 3 years how the 2 teams do. The last 2 D1 players to come out of IGH was Gary Marion 80 81 time frame and Davenport in the 2000's time frame. I also have heard that with the departure of 2 players from IGH the team actually is in better shape. Now rumors have it, one of the A bantam 1st year players from SSP will be moving to HM next year that will hurt SSP as he is a very good player. However with only 4 seniors leaving they should be good for 2 more years. After that it looks down hill from there as there numbers drop off big time. IGH seems to have a deeper pool coming in the next few years. IGH also has an 8th grader that could have played Varsity this year along with the other 4 IGH 2nd year bantams at either school SSP or IGH. Once wilcox leaves I am not so sure SSP will be any better off then IGH. SSP has also had some pretty good players developed by IGH play for them. So yes SSP coach will look better in the long run. but lets see what happens down the road as IGH has more numbers then SSP right now. Lets see if the coach can keep players in IGH or if they move. Either way it will still be fun to watch all the kids in the State of Hockey compete no matter where they play or live.

Pantherfan
I think Scott Bell was D1 at the U of Minn and Eric Rud was at Colorado College... after Marion was 2 D1 players in '84...Mike Nightengale and Bill Brown both drafted as well...just trying to help with the facts...
Your correct on those facts, thank you.

no-fly-bys

Post by no-fly-bys » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:34 am

I don't agree with you panther fan. The A bantams have a very good talent level of 8th graders from SSP . Plus some very good A peewee players. I know they are young but in a small association a lot of these players will contribute early in there high school careers. I believe SSP will be in great shape with all the underclassman they have playing 7 jun., 5 soph, 1 fresh. Great expierence for these underclassman to be playing everyday at this level....

sgs

Post by sgs » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:55 am

As a parent of one of the 5, I thought Mr Happy(HockeyFan) :D might not understand that in the State of Minnesota we have open enrollment. This law allows parents to choose the best school for their child(ren). Many years ago we visited four different school districts and selected the school that was the best fit for our children/family. We selected SSP for its IB program, discipline, tradition and way down the list, athletics.

We have been fortunate to be a part of the Inver Grove Heights Youth Hockey Association and all the dedicated coaches, volunteers and families. IGHHA can be very proud of the hockey players, but more importantly the outstanding young men and women that they have developed..... no matter what color sweater they choose to wear.

GapControl

Post by GapControl » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:50 pm

I would have to agree with sgs. If you think back even to when Stewarts and Bauer left to Hastings, if all the IGHHA players had stayed and played at Simely, the whole culture of Simley hockey would be diffrent today. In the last fifteen years or so they have lost alot of players to other schools. Kryzer( D1 ), Tatro, and Sweeny even in the early 90s. Maybe the question needs to be asked to the school why they are losing so many kids to other schools. I have been around this sitiuation for years and there are very few times that those IGH kids leave for sports. Considering alot of those kids are multi-sport athletes, and Simley happens to annualy be stronger in. ( soccer, baseball, football )