I've heard schools out in the Boston area are very good

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Gopherhockey89

I've heard schools out in the Boston area are very good

Post by Gopherhockey89 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:58 pm

Boston Catholic Memorial beat Holy Angels last night.. Catholic Memorial has been voted the nations top Hs team 6 times the most out of any high school in the nation.
-St Sebastion's of Boston has produced 4 first rounders in its history. A few years back they had two first rounders on the same team and 3 other players drafted that year. They have also produced more nhl players than any other school in the country.
-Thayer High had Tony Amonte playing on the same line as Jeremy Roenick. Mike Mottau of the Nj devils, Brooks Orpik, Ryan Whitney and Dave Silk from the 80 Oympic team also played there.
-Cushing high- Keith Yandle, Chris Bourque, Zach Bogasian, Bryan Ewing of the black hawks, and several other draft picks played on the same team. Tom Poti, Paul Mara, Jeff and Brad Norton and a few other notable nhl'ers played there..
I'd like these two great hockey states to play more games against each other. Cushing, Thayer and St Sebastions have their own rankings in MA so would not be ranked with Cath Memorial like we have A and AA in Minny.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:10 pm

My knowledge of hockey in the northeast US is pretty limited, but I do know it's dominated by prep schools. Are Cushing, Thayer, and St. Sebastian prep schools? How many prep school hockey powers are there in Massachusetts? How deep is the pool of good teams beyond those prep schools?

HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:13 pm

All the good schools out east are recruited prep schools similar to Shattuck, except worse. They wouldn't even be able to compete against Shattuck even though the schools are cut from the same cloth, so they play AA schools from Minnesota to make it even.
EP two out of three.

Gopherhockey89

not true at all

Post by Gopherhockey89 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:20 pm

Cath. Mem is a catholic school same as Holy Angels not a "prep" school.. They do not recruit anyone and all of their players are from the same general area much like AHA. If you're thinking of "prep Schools" out east they would not play AA teams in Mn.. Prep is a much faster game than even AA hockey although our crowds are much bigger especially come during states.

nehockey8

woah woah woah

Post by nehockey8 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:36 pm

Shattuck recruits kids from all over the world and are a AAA team not a HS team no matter how you look at it. They take kids from Sweden, Canada, and Czech not even close to a comparison. A team like cushing does not recruit... St sebs isn't a boarding school so how could they possibly recruit? kids in towns around the schools might play for them like kids from Holy Angels.. It is no different.. Comparing any team to shattuck is ridiculous considering they recruit from all over the world.

O-townClown

Re: woah woah woah

Post by O-townClown » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:20 pm

nehockey8 wrote: A team like cushing does not recruit...
My friend's son was certainly recruited to play there!

Northeastern Prep schools are actually recruiting Florida quite hard.
Be kind. Rewind.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:04 pm

All you have to do is say that our #15 team (depends on who you ask) went out and lost by two in one game (every team has off nights on the second night of a two game road trip across the country) to the #1 team out east.

Our top 10 would probably take 8 out of 10 from them. We don't need to make excuses. Playing one game doesn't show anything. Our private school, who's on an off year traveled out there and lost by one. How many of their schools are traveling here?

We have many basketball schools, who are public (Tartan, Henry, Hopkins to name a few) who travel and play name schools around the country. We have one and we make excuses when they lose to an out east team. Yes, some play ND, but they aren't good.

MN claims to be so good, and we are, but why not go out and show it? Holy Angels competes with shattuck year in and year out. In rankings we always claim to not know how to rank them, but it's because they are the only ones who go out and actively play other top teams around the nation.

Good job Stars

Teak

Post by Teak » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:21 pm

O-townClown wrote:
nehockey8 wrote: A team like cushing does not recruit...
My friend's son was certainly recruited to play there!

Northeastern Prep schools are actually recruiting Florida quite hard.
Okay, now I am not so sure that I am seeing straight. Maybe my glasses are dirty. But Florida?? They are recruiting ice hockey players from Florida?? Is that a new area of the country, northeast of Maine, or the state down there at the bottom of the country, close to Cuba?? In the tropics....ice comes in glasses....

Teak is getting old, but is my eye-sight that bad??

:?:

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:36 pm

Teak, and maybe some of the rest of you. Have you looked at any USHL rosters lately? Nick Mattson of the Indianna Ice is the only Minnesota kid on their roster. Texas and Cali each have one and Florida, yes FLA has two. There was time when Minnesota kids dominated rosters. Now the origins of the players look more like what a football team would look like than a hockey team.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:50 pm

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:Teak, and maybe some of the rest of you. Have you looked at any USHL rosters lately? Nick Mattson of the Indianna Ice is the only Minnesota kid on their roster. Texas and Cali each have one and Florida, yes FLA has two. There was time when Minnesota kids dominated rosters. Now the origins of the players look more like what a football team would look like than a hockey team.
Yeah, because the dominant high school MN players are graduating high school when they're juniors and playing D1 when they should be high school seniors and the two or three good players from FL on playing juniors instead of going straight to college :shock:

Oh my bad, we judge our state's performance by how many players they have in the USHL. You're right :roll:

Hockeywatcher123

Post by Hockeywatcher123 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:55 pm

HS hockey in Mass is growing, but no where close to what it is in MN. the depth of the good teams here in mn is unbelievable. If the the top 5 teams in both states played each other (1v1, 2v2, 3v3 ect..) i have no doubt the MN would win all 5

nehockey8

??

Post by nehockey8 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:07 pm

Hockeywatcher123 wrote:HS hockey in Mass is growing, but no where close to what it is in MN. the depth of the good teams here in mn is unbelievable. If the the top 5 teams in both states played each other (1v1, 2v2, 3v3 ect..) i have no doubt the MN would win all 5
Are you out of your mind?? MA Hs hockey is growing?? How about it is declining rapidly with the NE prep schools on the rise and the best kids are going to the eastern junior hockey league.. It is declining and fast.. Ma hs hockey was better than mn hs hockey about 10 years ago, mn is better now except for the very best schools.
The Roenicks, Amonte's, Tkachuk's, Ryan, Guerins, Barrassos, Dipietro, Poti, Whitney, Drury, Leech's would all be playing juniors had they grown up today, not High school sad, but true.

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:26 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:Teak, and maybe some of the rest of you. Have you looked at any USHL rosters lately? Nick Mattson of the Indianna Ice is the only Minnesota kid on their roster. Texas and Cali each have one and Florida, yes FLA has two. There was time when Minnesota kids dominated rosters. Now the origins of the players look more like what a football team would look like than a hockey team.
Yeah, because the dominant high school MN players are graduating high school when they're juniors and playing D1 when they should be high school seniors and the two or three good players from FL on playing juniors instead of going straight to college :shock:

Oh my bad, we judge our state's performance by how many players they have in the USHL. You're right :roll:
Do we judge Minnesota talent by how many kids make our national teams? The under 17 team and the under 20 team were both very diverse. Minnesota isn't dominating any roster. 5 out of 23 is great for the Olympic team but if Martin can't go it's only 4. It's the most of any state but if you subtract Shattuck product Parise that would leave Minnesota high school hockey producing only three kids. Minnesota is easily the deepest and best when it comes to producing hockey players. My point was other places are producing top talent. There are lots of Minnesota kids that want to be on those USHL rosters that were told they weren't good enough. If you want to be sarcastic at least know what you are talking about.

BTW. I chose my name years ago to contradict one of your stupid posts.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:58 pm

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:

Do we judge Minnesota talent by how many kids make our national teams? The under 17 team and the under 20 team were both very diverse. Minnesota isn't dominating any roster. 5 out of 23 is great for the Olympic team but if Martin can't go it's only 4. It's the most of any state but if you subtract Shattuck product Parise that would leave Minnesota high school hockey producing only three kids. Minnesota is easily the deepest and best when it comes to producing hockey players. My point was other places are producing top talent. There are lots of Minnesota kids that want to be on those USHL rosters that were told they weren't good enough. If you want to be sarcastic at least know what you are talking about.

Players are told every day they are not good enough to make teams. Many Texas football players don't make D1 rosters, Texas HS football must suck, ya got me.

I forgot the rule of this board that only players could post. Thanks for reminding me. Oh my bad, "hockey's different." You don't have to play football to talk about it, but when it comes to hockey, that's different. Great point.

Bottom line, cut up one team any way you like, MN produces good hockey players and our teams are better than any other states'.

I asked this question in another thread; why do so many people try to claim states who are clearly not better at hockey than MN are? MN is clearly not the state of football, no one has a problem with it, but we still produce quality football players. In fact, the #1 recruit in the country this year is from MN. No one in MN is claiming NE hockey is bad. But it clearly is not what MN hockey is.

toptitty96

Re: ??

Post by toptitty96 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:24 am

nehockey8 wrote:
Hockeywatcher123 wrote:HS hockey in Mass is growing, but no where close to what it is in MN. the depth of the good teams here in mn is unbelievable. If the the top 5 teams in both states played each other (1v1, 2v2, 3v3 ect..) i have no doubt the MN would win all 5
Are you out of your mind?? MA Hs hockey is growing?? How about it is declining rapidly with the NE prep schools on the rise and the best kids are going to the eastern junior hockey league.. It is declining and fast.. Ma hs hockey was better than mn hs hockey about 10 years ago, mn is better now except for the very best schools.
The Roenicks, Amonte's, Tkachuk's, Ryan, Guerins, Barrassos, Dipietro, Poti, Whitney, Drury, Leech's would all be playing juniors had they grown up today, not High school sad, but true.
I think hockeywatcher got confused and was saying more that hs age level hockey is growing, whether it be prep or HS. The hs age level hockey talent is growing on the east coast for sure. As far as the best teams in MA being better than MN, I would say that the best MA teams might compete with decent MN teams. If you were to take the top 10 of MN and put them against the top 10 MA ( 1vs. 1, 2 vs. 2, etc.) I'd think that MN would win 8 or 9 of those 10 games. Tonka is probably the best high school team in the nation right now, IMO, but then again when do I see any MA schools play? never. If any state can compete with MN in hockey, it would have to be MA, or maybe Michigan.

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:35 am

HShockeywatcher wrote:
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:

Players are told every day they are not good enough to make teams. Many Texas football players don't make D1 rosters, Texas HS football must suck, ya got me.

I forgot the rule of this board that only players could post. Thanks for reminding me. Oh my bad, "hockey's different." You don't have to play football to talk about it, but when it comes to hockey, that's different. Great point.

Bottom line, cut up one team any way you like, MN produces good hockey players and our teams are better than any other states'.

I asked this question in another thread; why do so many people try to claim states who are clearly not better at hockey than MN are? MN is clearly not the state of football, no one has a problem with it, but we still produce quality football players. In fact, the #1 recruit in the country this year is from MN.
Only idiots would claim any state is better at producing players than Minnesota. (See thread starter). My concern is are we holding back some of our players? If a kid from Detroit playing Tier 1 Midgets gets 60 games and a player here gets 25 is that an issue? For the very best I don't think so. For the next level of guys who want to play two years of juniors and earn a scholarship I think it is. These kids just aren't getting roster spots.

Football is a bad comparison. The playing options just aren't the same. Elites, AAA, and Canada are all factors along with the 16 year olds in the USHL and NAHL. In football everyone plays high school.

nehockey8

Maybe you are the idiot

Post by nehockey8 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:54 am

MA= Roenick and Tkachuk= 1000 pt club.... compared to Mn only Housley. MA has a USA hall of fame goalie in Barrasso.. Mn has never produced a good goalie. MA has Amonte over 900 career pts and Guerin pushing 900.. Mn has only Broten at 900 pts followed by Dave Christian with 773.. Bobby Carpenter and Scott Young two Ma residents fell just shy of 800 pts. So I guess maybe you are the moron for saying that no other state compares to mn hockey when Ma has historically produced better overall nhl talent.. Mn is making a comeback recently.

selloutcrowd99

Post by selloutcrowd99 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:58 am

Why do you insist on namedropping players? I will do the same for you: Erik Johnson #1 overall 2006 draft, Keith Ballard, Ryan Okposo, Zach Parise, Jordan Leopold, Alex Goligoski, Jamie Langenbrunner, Jason Blake, Dustin Byfuglien, Tom Gilbert, Paul Martin, Blake Wheeler, and so on and so forth. Did you watch the 2009 draft? Nick Leddy #16 overall, Jordan Schroeder #22 overall. How about the world juniors? Schroeder, Stepan, and Kristo arguably the best players on the team, with first round pick Gardiner on defense, and Roseau's own Mike Lee in net. I understand they didn't all play high school hockey or stick around their senior years and whatnot, but it did play a key role in their development.

Also, take the Fall Elite League in Minnesota for example. The stands are filled with scouts for every game, including a few NHL scouts. There were 6 or 7 teams for that league, and all competed with Shattuck, and on many occasions beat Shattuck. In fact, one of the Elite League all-star teams routed Shattuck, scoring 10 goals on them.

There are so many ways for me to keep proving my points about MN hockey. But I think this one tops them all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYUj3aHO2UE
The truth hurts

Teak

Post by Teak » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:01 am

I think our Massachusetts friend is on to something here, guys.

If our 15th-ranked AA team (and probably lower if you include the top A teams also), can hold its own against their #1 ranked team (out of 209), think of the implications.

Maybe we should petition the Mn Hs Hockey Assoc. to sponsor Sleepy Eye to take a trip back east. Think of it. Sleepy Eye getting the chance to win a game or two?? Of course, it couldn't be their top teams, maybe start Sleepy Eye with number 160, and see if they should go UP the ladder after that game, or DOWN the ladder.

:idea:

HShockeywatcher

Re: Maybe you are the idiot

Post by HShockeywatcher » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:50 am

nehockey8 wrote:MA= Roenick and Tkachuk= 1000 pt club.... compared to Mn only Housley. MA has a USA hall of fame goalie in Barrasso.. Mn has never produced a good goalie. MA has Amonte over 900 career pts and Guerin pushing 900.. Mn has only Broten at 900 pts followed by Dave Christian with 773.. Bobby Carpenter and Scott Young two Ma residents fell just shy of 800 pts. So I guess maybe you are the moron for saying that no other state compares to mn hockey when Ma has historically produced better overall nhl talent.. Mn is making a comeback recently.
You just said two different things in the same post. You say "produced better overall nhl talent" and then cite individual players, not overall numbers.

If all you're doing is trying to find the states where the top 5 players have come from, then that could be anywhere. Five people don't prove anything. Overall numbers do.
selloutcrowd99 wrote: There are so many ways for me to keep proving my points about MN hockey. But I think this one tops them all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYUj3aHO2UE
Hey, that's not fair, you just took video from the X, what doe that prove? :shock:

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:03 am

Teak wrote:Okay, now I am not so sure that I am seeing straight. Maybe my glasses are dirty. But Florida?? They are recruiting ice hockey players from Florida?? Is that a new area of the country, northeast of Maine, or the state down there at the bottom of the country, close to Cuba?? In the tropics....ice comes in glasses....
Blissfully unaware?

As mentioned, Bryan Ferlin and Kevin Goumas play for the Indiana Ice in the USHL. Ryan Carpenter is on Sioux City. There are others.

Yes, a good number of Florida players wind up at Prep schools in the Northeast. Cushing recruits, and even offers scholarships.
Be kind. Rewind.

defense

Re: Maybe you are the idiot

Post by defense » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:12 pm

nehockey8 wrote:MA= Roenick and Tkachuk= 1000 pt club.... compared to Mn only Housley. MA has a USA hall of fame goalie in Barrasso.. Mn has never produced a good goalie. MA has Amonte over 900 career pts and Guerin pushing 900.. Mn has only Broten at 900 pts followed by Dave Christian with 773.. Bobby Carpenter and Scott Young two Ma residents fell just shy of 800 pts. So I guess maybe you are the moron for saying that no other state compares to mn hockey when Ma has historically produced better overall nhl talent.. Mn is making a comeback recently.

Never
produced a goalie??? hmmmm probly should do a little more looking on that.
He isn't in the NHL yet and definitely isn' t the only goalie MN has produced, but did you watch or pay any attention to the world juniors??? Mike Lee????

How about half the 1980 team USA roster?? What about the Marvins in 1960? I suppose you've never heard of Herb Brooks, Bob Johnson (yes Badger Bob), Dean Blaise.... Interesting, the Minnesota State High School hockey tournement is the most attended high school sporting event in the USA. USA hockey didn't put the USA hockey hall of Fame in Gloucester did it???? no Peabody, Manchester by the Sea, or Worcester...
It put it's shrine in Eveleth Minnesota.

Now a question: Don't they do something like a New England Championship out there??? I thought they did. If they do it is an interesting concept, one I think they should ponder around here. I know Minnesota would dominate, but I believe it would pull up the level of play in neighboring states, wich wouldn't be a bad thing.
Finally, tell me something about the Gloucester hockey team, was there once and am kinda interested.

O-townClown

Mass vs. Minn

Post by O-townClown » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:50 pm

The lack of respect from some on this board toward Massachusetts is embarrassing.

Hockey in Massachusetts is different than it is in Minnesota. Programs are scattered and kids play for strong clubs, as opposed to the community-based approach. At the HS level, elite players often wind up at the Prep schools and the Catholic school league takes many others. (Think H-M and AHA, only more.)

Saying that hockey in Massachusetts is good does not mean that hockey in Minnesota isn't.

I'm 41 now. When I was in HS a team of Minnesota all-stars went out to New England and got waxed by the Massachusetts all-stars. It actually caused a bit of a crisis, as people tried to figure out how that could happen. The most common explanation was that the kids in Mass played "year 'round" while the Minnesotans were held back by the short Varsity season.

Today kids in Minnesota play more. An all-star game would probably be won by the Gopher state today, most likely because of numbers. (I think participation is higher.)

The truth is that Minnesota has not turned out goaltenders at the NHL level. After guys like Jon Casey and Bob Mason, I think the only one that made it and stuck for a while was Damian Rhodes. Jim Carey won the Vezina Trophy. Rick DiPietro, nuff said.

People nationwide that know anything about hockey respect what Minnesota has. No need to be defensive.
Be kind. Rewind.

wingman

Post by wingman » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 pm

Bottom line with AAA playing like 50-60 games and getting all the top scouts and talent drafted to the NHL, USHL, Div 1, aaaannnnndd High school hockey in Minnesota is losing more and more kids to USHL, NAHL, & AAA early, it only says one thing. MN High schools have chosen not to be the future prospecting grounds for D1, NHL, etc (all above). And the indiviual above that said look at the home towns on the rosters--they ain't dominated with kids from Minnesota any more, he is right on....not the same numbers as lets say back in the 70's. MN high schools are limiting number of games, and are putting restrictions so that options are greater other places. Simple. Make the rules to enhance the program and it becomes better, put restrictions on it (regardless if you have feelings of wether they are good or not) you make other options look better. I predict in 20 years-or so-, most of the best talent in Minnesota will leave before they are 16, and a league, with less restrictions, will compete with the MN state high school league for all the talent, thereby diluting the talent further. I mean look at community based associations right now. 20 years ago no one played for the AAA Fire, etc. They played for their community. Now we lose kids to this team and others, STARTING AT PEEWEES. There will soon be a Tier 1 U16 team that will possibly start competing for the TOP Bantams - with something like 10 teams here in the state of MN all made up of the stars of the state--diluting community teams even more. Soon playing for your community--or maybe even your high school--- won't be the aspiration. Sad but true and look around it is the future.............Please note I'm stating fact not wether I like it or not...just fact...... for example---MN Summer AAA teams have grown exponentionally from 1 AAA team in 1995(per age group) to well over 20-30 teams per age group in 2010. Hey that is only 15 years---the changes they are a comin....!

defense

Re: Mass vs. Minn

Post by defense » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:56 pm

O-townClown wrote:The lack of respect from some on this board toward Massachusetts is embarrassing.

Hockey in Massachusetts is different than it is in Minnesota. Programs are scattered and kids play for strong clubs, as opposed to the community-based approach. At the HS level, elite players often wind up at the Prep schools and the Catholic school league takes many others. (Think H-M and AHA, only more.)

Saying that hockey in Massachusetts is good does not mean that hockey in Minnesota isn't.

I'm 41 now. When I was in HS a team of Minnesota all-stars went out to New England and got waxed by the Massachusetts all-stars. It actually caused a bit of a crisis, as people tried to figure out how that could happen. The most common explanation was that the kids in Mass played "year 'round" while the Minnesotans were held back by the short Varsity season.

Today kids in Minnesota play more. An all-star game would probably be won by the Gopher state today, most likely because of numbers. (I think participation is higher.)

The truth is that Minnesota has not turned out goaltenders at the NHL level. After guys like Jon Casey and Bob Mason, I think the only one that made it and stuck for a while was Damian Rhodes. Jim Carey won the Vezina Trophy. Rick DiPietro, nuff said.

People nationwide that know anything about hockey respect what Minnesota has. No need to be defensive.
"Truth is" the guy said never produced a goalie, not that they have had a few, but Massachussettes has more.

Bottom line, before anyone gets too serious: We're dealing with a kid who is likely on the JV team from Boston Catholic. He has a username that ID's himself as a New England hockey guy, and a username that makes him look like a guy from Minnesota. If anyone is actually completely serious on this thread I'd be surprised. For me its the amusement of what he may say.