Will Benik Break his scoring record?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Will he break his goal scoring record?

Yes
23%
No
77%

Total votes: 56

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:40 am

sriverhockey wrote:Yes he was offered a Scholarship to SCSU, but how much will he get...D1 Hockey programs are only give 15 a year to give to 25 or so boy's.(compared to Football's 75-80) So usually only the top lines get full rides and the rest get to haggle over books,meal tickets, and maybe tuition. I was able to watch him play twice while he was with the OWL's (a Tier III jr A. league) and it was quite funny to hear his coach yelling at him to get his a** back and play defense over and over again. He needs to grow as well, as he was getting man handled by larger (and older) boy's in the junior ranks, not to mention better players than he. If he can't take the pounding at the USHL or NAHL level (45-50 games), you'll probably see the scholarship offer be revoked (It's happend before) I have a son in the NAHL and going from H.S. to Juniors is a big jump. practice everyday and the travel not to mention the level of play every single game (as well as practice making sure you make the cut to play each game). His season is coming to a close and he's mentally and physically ready for the break of summer.
Talking about scholarship money shows just how jealous you are. :shock:

I've also seen a few MJHL games that he has played in and he gets BACK better than most.

He played with the best 17's in the US last summer and did better than most. Scholarship revoked? He's 17 like most other recruits???? SCSU seems to be doing better than others with their recruits??? Do you get it????

50 year old guy bashing a kid............

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:32 am

sriverhockey wrote:Yes he was offered a Scholarship to SCSU, but how much will he get...D1 Hockey programs are only give 15 a year to give to 25 or so boy's.(compared to Football's 75-80) So usually only the top lines get full rides and the rest get to haggle over books,meal tickets, and maybe tuition. I was able to watch him play twice while he was with the OWL's (a Tier III jr A. league) and it was quite funny to hear his coach yelling at him to get his a** back and play defense over and over again. He needs to grow as well, as he was getting man handled by larger (and older) boy's in the junior ranks, not to mention better players than he. If he can't take the pounding at the USHL or NAHL level (45-50 games), you'll probably see the scholarship offer be revoked (It's happend before) I have a son in the NAHL and going from H.S. to Juniors is a big jump. practice everyday and the travel not to mention the level of play every single game (as well as practice making sure you make the cut to play each game). His season is coming to a close and he's mentally and physically ready for the break of summer.
Actually, it's 18 scholarships. In almost every program, a "full ride" is actually 90%... which means you can get 20 players (two goalies and all your starting skaters) on scholarship. The programs usually attempt to find other scholarships to cover the remaining 10%. Or, if your favorite team gets lucky, they can get a huge fan to commit for a discounted scholarship. Sometimes you can get players on a package deal (Reillys). Good timing and a good eye can result in some really solid walk-ons too. Garrett Raboin, for example, was a walk-on his freshman season.

So, you seem to think that Benik will get his scholarship yanked if he struggles in juniors. I disagree. He may get his scholarship yanked if he completely FAILS in juniors (Hummel), but they'll honor his scholarship even if he's not one of the leading scorers. BTW, he'll be in Penticton of the BCHL next season, where he shouldn't have a problem putting up points. He may even be in the USHL a year after that and may not start at SCSU until 2012.

Lakeviewing

Average shedules

Post by Lakeviewing » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:22 am

Lets just see where the Hanowski kid at St. Cloud rounds out at. He represents a kid playing at a outer high school level and probably below the tougher inner high school metro leve city. At St. Cloud, he has been involved at a higher level of WCHA level of ice time.

The Exiled One wrote:
Actually, it's 18 scholarships. In almost every program, a "full ride" is actually 90%... which means you can get 20 players (two goalies and all your starting skaters) on scholarship. The programs usually attempt to find other scholarships to cover the remaining 10%. Or, if your favorite team gets lucky, they can get a huge fan to commit for a discounted scholarship. Sometimes you can get players on a package deal (Reillys). Good timing and a good eye can result in some really solid walk-ons too. Garrett Raboin, for example, was a walk-on his freshman season.

So, you seem to think that Benik will get his scholarship yanked if he struggles in juniors. I disagree. He may get his scholarship yanked if he completely FAILS in juniors (Hummel), but they'll honor his scholarship even if he's not one of the leading scorers. BTW, he'll be in Penticton of the BCHL next season, where he shouldn't have a problem putting up points. He may even be in the USHL a year after that and may not start at SCSU until 2012.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:30 am

Record-setter Benik drawing crowds

"Defensemen are like, 'Whew, I stopped him,' " Hoops said. "He definitely has the advantage, and the reason for that is a whole lot of rink-rat hockey."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps ... i8cyaiUUUU

stilly5hm3

Post by stilly5hm3 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:38 pm

I think that the current scoring record held by benik should be subject to any scrutinism presented. In all fairness to the kid he can put the puck in the net. In all fairness to the rest of the high school hockey players playing legitimate minnesota high school hockey teams we must be able to reach some middle ground where these players can be recognized for their scoring much like Benik. How do we draw the lines between legitimate and illegitimate records?use our heads of course. If all commentors on this forum are as intelligent as they claim to be we should be able to define ehat kind of records are legitimate and which are not.

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:47 pm

stilly5hm3 wrote:I think that the current scoring record held by benik should be subject to any scrutinism presented. In all fairness to the kid he can put the puck in the net. In all fairness to the rest of the high school hockey players playing legitimate minnesota high school hockey teams we must be able to reach some middle ground where these players can be recognized for their scoring much like Benik. How do we draw the lines between legitimate and illegitimate records?use our heads of course. If all commentors on this forum are as intelligent as they claim to be we should be able to define ehat kind of records are legitimate and which are not.
He plays at St. Francis. What do you want him to do? Move? If another kid's dream is to break the scoring record then move out to somewhere where it can be done. Otherwise don't worry about it, it is a legitimate record that will be broken when someone in the state scores more goals than it.

stilly5hm3

Post by stilly5hm3 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:52 pm

You just contradicted your own statement. If a kid wants to break the record...move. If Benik wants to get taken seriosuly in the eyes of the big dogs...play with the big dogs my friend.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:32 am

starmvp wrote:He plays at St. Francis. What do you want him to do? Move? If another kid's dream is to break the scoring record then move out to somewhere where it can be done. Otherwise don't worry about it, it is a legitimate record that will be broken when someone in the state scores more goals than it.
I agree with this completely. Face it, the all time goals and points scoring records will always be held by players who face relatively weak competition during their playing days. It's just plain harder to score against top teams, but records are records, that's just the way it is.

HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:27 am

stilly5hm3 wrote:You just contradicted your own statement. If a kid wants to break the record...move. If Benik wants to get taken seriosuly in the eyes of the big dogs...play with the big dogs my friend.
Has anybody actually asked him if he gives a rip about the scoring record or if he cares at all what you all or anyone else thinks about him. I am sure he is having a blast playing hockey and looking forward to his future more than anything. I mean seriously is he out there saying "look at me I am great and I score more goals than anybody else"? I doubt it. Seriously, ya'll need to find something else to complain about than this, its getting very old news as its been discussed for two years straight now. Let it go! Nuff said... :x
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:00 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:I was reading through and noticed the" lead the 17's in scoring". Anyone have the old stats to back it up? I tend to think that you could take any of the top 5 players in the state and they would receive the same treatment in Beniks skates.
Actually, he was 2nd on his team in scoring.
:idea: Check out how he did compared to MN kids on other teams. Most of these players will be on D-1 teams some day. Take any of these MN players and they would do a majority of the scoring on a St Francis HS team........ They would also be ridiculed by the dense on here. :idea: :idea: :idea:

hero12

Post by hero12 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:55 pm

HappyHockeyFan wrote:
stilly5hm3 wrote:You just contradicted your own statement. If a kid wants to break the record...move. If Benik wants to get taken seriosuly in the eyes of the big dogs...play with the big dogs my friend.
Has anybody actually asked him if he gives a rip about the scoring record or if he cares at all what you all or anyone else thinks about him. I am sure he is having a blast playing hockey and looking forward to his future more than anything. I mean seriously is he out there saying "look at me I am great and I score more goals than anybody else"? I doubt it. Seriously, ya'll need to find something else to complain about than this, its getting very old news as its been discussed for two years straight now. Let it go! Nuff said... :x
Very well put. Hes playing hockey, I doubt he is here making threads about himself, the thread simply asked if he would break a record. Nowhere did the thread maker say Benik deserves praise and a statue for being a good play, people need to chill out.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:50 pm

hero12 wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:
Very well put. Hes playing hockey, I doubt he is here making threads about himself, the thread simply asked if he would break a record. Nowhere did the thread maker say Benik deserves praise and a statue for being a good play, people need to chill out.
:roll: Read through.... You're one of them :lol:

Ken Dryden

Post by Ken Dryden » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:11 pm

The great players on great teams play with significantly better players than Benik.

He did this mostly by himself guys...What if he played with some of those great playmakers on the big schools?? As many goals?

What if Gretzky didn't have Kurri and Coffey...would he have as many assists? Edmonton was so much better than everyone back in the 80's it was hardly fair...pretty sure he still hold all the records and there are no qualifying statement.

You just can't teach a kid to put the puck in the net like that - some have it and some don't - he clearly has it.

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:25 pm

He's not even good enough to go to the USHL next year and people are expecting him to come in and produce on a WCHA team in two years?

What I meant to say is that Benik is God's gift to hockey and I'll be heading a petition to rename the state tourney the Benik Cup.
The U invented swagger.

mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:28 pm

Goldy Gopher wrote:He's not even good enough to go to the USHL next year and people are expecting him to come in and produce on a WCHA team in two years?

What I meant to say is that Benik is God's gift to hockey and I'll be heading a petition to rename the state tourney the Benik Cup.
They will then no doubt get a bye into the tourney every year so Benik and the next great St Francis superstar can leave their legacy?

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:46 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:Record-setter Benik drawing crowds

"Defensemen are like, 'Whew, I stopped him,' " Hoops said. "He definitely has the advantage, and the reason for that is a whole lot of rink-rat hockey."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps ... i8cyaiUUUU
Anyone have his contact info so I can get him at my birthday party?
The U invented swagger.

Northsider

Post by Northsider » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:38 pm

Sure, call him up:

763-512-1111

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:40 pm

Northsider wrote:Sure, call him up:

763-512-1111
Good one. :roll:
The U invented swagger.

no5hole

Post by no5hole » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:29 am

Hey Goldy Gopher, You feeling pretty dumb yet? How's about you read this thread over and tell me what you think now.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:10 pm

no5hole wrote:Hey Goldy Gopher, You feeling pretty dumb yet? How's about you read this thread over and tell me what you think now.
^
It's great that the Gophers don't think outside the 94 circle much.