embarrassing southern hockey for class A

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SCC2009

embarrassing southern hockey for class A

Post by SCC2009 »

they really need to squeek a few of the southern most class a size schools from the metro into new ulm's and lourdes sections. teams like hutch, litch, new ulm, makato schools and lourdes do not deserve to go year after year...thankfully this was new ukms first trip in 18 years and hopefully thier last. this happens most years where they are totally undeserving to play at the xcel and does not represent the talent that class A has around the state. in other sections around the state, if duluth east and elk river, roseau and st. cloud tech, and so on and so forth can be in the same sections, why cant metro teams compete in class A section with some of the southern most teams? every year since Red Wing and Johnny Pohl, whoever draws the southern teams is all but gauranteed to advance to the semi. thank god for the seeding system at least.
Who raises their stick after scoring an empty netter?
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

Shut up you are a complete tool. It goes both ways. They have already made it extremely hard for northern teams to advance in the AA tournament, yet they seem to keep beating Metro schools to advance. Southern hockey is the same way, they are just not as good as the north at hockey. Last time I checked, it wasn't a "Star Tribune"'s darlings tourney, nor a look how many kids we have! tourney nor is it a metro tourney. Represent the whole state, and those kids damn well did deserve their trip to state you fool, they beat everyone else!
Go Hounds.
nickel slots

Post by nickel slots »

Just last year, Lourdes won the consy last year and gave Breck their closest game of the tournament.

But I see your point.

Regardless, no matter what happens, somebody will be whining. The teams that you move into the southwestern or southeastern sections will complain of the distance (see STA) and will eventually get moved back.

Just ask the people of Lakeville in section 1aa. They basically get to play each other almost every year for a trip to the state tourney, yet they complain that the playoffs are in Rochester.

There is really no way to get the best of both.

Unfortunately, the southern schools are in a little bit of a swoon this year. Hopefully they'll be able to bounce back and represent next year. That Lourdes team, for example, is very young and is only going to get better because of experiences like yesterday's.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's all small stuff.
Pinky

Re: embarrassing southern hockey for class A

Post by Pinky »

SCC2009 wrote:they really need to squeek a few of the southern most class a size schools from the metro into new ulm's and lourdes sections. teams like hutch, litch, new ulm, makato schools and lourdes do not deserve to go year after year...thankfully this was new ukms first trip in 18 years and hopefully thier last. this happens most years where they are totally undeserving to play at the xcel and does not represent the talent that class A has around the state. in other sections around the state, if duluth east and elk river, roseau and st. cloud tech, and so on and so forth can be in the same sections, why cant metro teams compete in class A section with some of the southern most teams? every year since Red Wing and Johnny Pohl, whoever draws the southern teams is all but gauranteed to advance to the semi. thank god for the seeding system at least.
Pretty sure Lourdes and Red Wing both played in the semi's in 04' and Red Wing placed 2nd.
Evcat99

Post by Evcat99 »

EHSHack wrote:Shut up you are a complete tool. It goes both ways. They have already made it extremely hard for northern teams to advance in the AA tournament, yet they seem to keep beating Metro schools to advance. Southern hockey is the same way, they are just not as good as the north at hockey. Last time I checked, it wasn't a "Star Tribune"'s darlings tourney, nor a look how many kids we have! tourney nor is it a metro tourney. Represent the whole state, and those kids damn well did deserve their trip to state you fool, they beat everyone else!
=D>
PoniesDad45

Post by PoniesDad45 »

EHSHack wrote:Shut up you are a complete tool. It goes both ways. They have already made it extremely hard for northern teams to advance in the AA tournament, yet they seem to keep beating Metro schools to advance. Southern hockey is the same way, they are just not as good as the north at hockey. Last time I checked, it wasn't a "Star Tribune"'s darlings tourney, nor a look how many kids we have! tourney nor is it a metro tourney. Represent the whole state, and those kids damn well did deserve their trip to state you fool, they beat everyone else!
I think what it does is to remind us what varsity sports were SUPPOSED to be about, not these super athletes who focus on one sport all year long, and go to whatever team gives them the brightest stage to perform on!

New Ulm, Mankato, Red Wing ect---all kids who are loyal to their school and playing hockey the way it was MEANT to be. Just because they have other priorities in life does not make them inferior.

I will always hope for the best for the small communities even though every year their chance for a championship is getting more remote.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

I think what it does is to remind us what varsity sports were SUPPOSED to be about, not these super athletes who focus on one sport all year long, and go to whatever team gives them the brightest stage to perform on!

New Ulm, Mankato, Red Wing ect---all kids who are loyal to their school and playing hockey the way it was MEANT to be. Just because they have other priorities in life does not make them inferior.

I will always hope for the best for the small communities even though every year their chance for a championship is getting more remote.
Great post PoniesDad45 you are very correct.
Chalk_Talk

Post by Chalk_Talk »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:

Great post PoniesDad45 you are very correct.
Agree great post Ponies...

One thing I would like to point out is that both New Ulm and Mankato have private schools in town (Loyola in kato, MVL in NU). I don't recall one time a student ever transfering to Loyola to play sports. You could have Waseca kids or St Peter kids go to Loyola and play hockey for Kato East. People are true to their roots in this area.
Bower146

Post by Bower146 »

Yea southern hockey did not have a good showing this year for class A. This same Lourdes team last year took consolation champions and gave Breck their best game. They lost a lot of talent off of last year's team and were not even expected to get back to the tourney this year anyway. And for AA Lakeville hasn't dominated the section. The last 6 years Century has been up to the tourney 3 times, North 2 times and South 1 time. If Rochester didn't have 3 AA high schools and a single A private school their teams would be able to compete with the best in the state, because if you have played youth recently the Rochester Bantam and PeeWee A teams are ranked in the top 10 usually and compete so the talent level is there but when you split that up 4 ways its hard to have team with depth of talent like the northern and metro teams do.
SCC2009

Post by SCC2009 »

the bottom line is that getting blown out and dominated is fine in regular season...when you are representing your section and are the "section champ" you have to show up and play and do better than lourdes and new ulm did. it was pathetic. i am a HUGE fan of class A hockey but having sections this week consistantly does not look good for class A. Lets get some balance or just start the Class A tourney in the Semi' instead.
slapshot445

Post by slapshot445 »

[quote="EHSHack"]Shut up you are a complete tool. It goes both ways. They have already made it extremely hard for northern teams to advance in the AA tournament, yet they seem to keep beating Metro schools to advance. Southern hockey is the same way, they are just not as good as the north at hockey. Last time I checked, it wasn't a "Star Tribune"'s darlings tourney, nor a look how many kids we have! tourney nor is it a metro tourney. Represent the whole state, and those kids damn well did deserve their trip to state you fool, they beat everyone else![/quote]

how about the top 8 teams just go, that new ulm team was a joke half of them couldn't skate. they probably aren't even top 30 in state, how can you think they deserve to be in state? sorry to burst your bubble but overall the metro area has better hockey than other places it's just the truth.
StayAtHomeD

Post by StayAtHomeD »

slapshot445 wrote:

how about the top 8 teams just go, that new ulm team was a joke half of them couldn't skate. they probably aren't even top 30 in state, how can you think they deserve to be in state? sorry to burst your bubble but overall the metro area has better hockey than other places it's just the truth.
LOL, it's a STATE Hockey Tourney, not just a Metro one!
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

It's been said over and over, but the Class A tournament consists of small schools from small towns AND private schools from the metro. Too many schools are influenced by open enrollment or no boundary at all with private schools.

I would like to see the tournament program list the "home town" of the players. They could have an award given to the team that's players travel the most miles to/from school. Call it the Holiday Station Gas Guzzler Award.
SCC2009

Post by SCC2009 »

how about the top 8 teams just go, that new ulm team was a joke half of them couldn't skate. they probably aren't even top 30 in state, how can you think they deserve to be in state? sorry to burst your bubble but overall the metro area has better hockey than other places it's just the truth.[/quote]

exactly! they are not even a top 30 team in class A...they were brutal...couldn't skate, horrible passing..and the defense would sit and let the Breck forwards camp out in front of the net untouched...i loved it when the same Breck player got off 3 shots in 10 seconds without being touched in front of the net. on minnhock.com new ulm is rated the 97th best team int he state...surely we can come up with better section assignments? having new ulm there is robbing a lot of other quality teams in the state....no one deserves anything...you have to earn it.
watchdog

Post by watchdog »

well someone has to say it. class A hockey is for new ulm. its halarious to listen to the citiots on here. Class A was put in place for teams like new ulm to dare to dream that they may one day have a chance to play at the x.. instead of sitting on here whinning about the south why dont the hand picked private schools and teams with hockey history ie (warroad) man up and play AA. so eight schools like new ulm can go and compete at the x and have some fun. thats the joke!!!!!!
Last edited by watchdog on Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

SCC2009 wrote:
SCC2009 wrote:how about the top 8 teams just go, that new ulm team was a joke half of them couldn't skate. they probably aren't even top 30 in state, how can you think they deserve to be in state? sorry to burst your bubble but overall the metro area has better hockey than other places it's just the truth.
exactly! they are not even a top 30 team in class A...they were brutal...couldn't skate, horrible passing..and the defense would sit and let the Breck forwards camp out in front of the net untouched...i loved it when the same Breck player got off 3 shots in 10 seconds without being touched in front of the net. on minnhock.com new ulm is rated the 97th best team int he state...surely we can come up with better section assignments? having new ulm there is robbing a lot of other quality teams in the state....no one deserves anything...you have to earn it.
A little bitter the Crusaders didn't make it this year?
The U invented swagger.
new2coachin

Post by new2coachin »

What's the matter SCC2009 & slapshot445, watching from the stands or your living room couch? Check Breck's season record. only a couple teams were even capable of giving them a close game this year, so unless you are from St. Thomas or Shattuck, its probably best to keep quiet as its very possible Breck would make your team look pretty bad too.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Goldy Gopher wrote:
SCC2009 wrote:
SCC2009 wrote:how about the top 8 teams just go, that new ulm team was a joke half of them couldn't skate. they probably aren't even top 30 in state, how can you think they deserve to be in state? sorry to burst your bubble but overall the metro area has better hockey than other places it's just the truth.
C'mon, they were only two wins away. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
2good4u

Post by 2good4u »

east hockey wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote:
SCC2009 wrote: exactly! they are not even a top 30 team in class A...they were brutal...couldn't skate, horrible passing..and the defense would sit and let the Breck forwards camp out in front of the net untouched...i loved it when the same Breck player got off 3 shots in 10 seconds without being touched in front of the net. on minnhock.com new ulm is rated the 97th best team int he state...surely we can come up with better section assignments? having new ulm there is robbing a lot of other quality teams in the state....no one deserves anything...you have to earn it.
C'mon, they were only two wins away. :mrgreen:

Lee
lol come on lee if they did squeak by denfield hermantown would have stomped them like they did in the regular season, seriously there are too many bitter citiots on here, be honest and ask yourself this,you guys lost and couldnt get out of your section what would be any different at state, you would just be losing on tv... yup thats much better in the citiots eyes
Goos_nu_eagles

Post by Goos_nu_eagles »

you're just upset that your team couldn't get out of sections.
nickmon3

Post by nickmon3 »

StayAtHomeD wrote:
slapshot445 wrote:

LOL, it's a STATE Hockey Tourney, not just a Metro one!
I agree with that. I think the WHOLE state should be represented. The metro will obviously have better hockey because they have WAY more kids.
The fighting team has a hockey problem
Northsider

Post by Northsider »

Winona will win AA in the next four years, I'm calling it.
SCC2009

Post by SCC2009 »

Goldy Gopher wrote:
SCC2009 wrote:
not at all...they didnt have a good team this year...hermantown deserved to go and should do the section proud...weak comment goldy....just liked cathedral deserved to go last year...its just that no one in new ulms section should ever make it to state.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

SCC2009 wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote:
SCC2009 wrote: exactly! they are not even a top 30 team in class A...they were brutal...couldn't skate, horrible passing..and the defense would sit and let the Breck forwards camp out in front of the net untouched...i loved it when the same Breck player got off 3 shots in 10 seconds without being touched in front of the net. on minnhock.com new ulm is rated the 97th best team int he state...surely we can come up with better section assignments? having new ulm there is robbing a lot of other quality teams in the state....no one deserves anything...you have to earn it.
not at all...they didnt have a good team this year...hermantown deserved to go and should do the section proud...weak comment goldy....just liked cathedral deserved to go last year...its just that no one in new ulms section should ever make it to state.
So become president of the MSHSL and change it.
The U invented swagger.
Bower146

Post by Bower146 »

well in the last 3 years southern hockey in class a hasn't been all that great. They do have a consolation championship last year though from Rochester Lourdes and a respectable showing by mankato west a couple years ago. Also if you pull your head out you will see that in the early parts of this decade Lourdes and Red Wing were very good teams taking 2nd in back to back years. I do agree that New Ulm section is the worst section in hockey period but regional wise there is really nothing you can do about that. Why not combine that section with section 1 and give the northen teams another section because there are many great teams up there. The metro already has enough teams in the state tournament. But its not always about getting the best teams to the state tourney its about representing the state as a whole. Yes, the cities teams have better hockey programs. That's due to bigger enrollment, private schools, and flexible boundaries but just because the cities teams are better doesn't mean anything. STATE tournament means the entire state. If the metro is so mad that they don't represent the whole state then why don't ya just create another tournament called the metro state tournament. Then all of you ignorant people can all be happy, but you will probably complain about something else.