Frattin Hit

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

dakotakid

Frattin Hit

Post by dakotakid » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:11 am

Watch the video on you tube. Frattin glides in with speed shoulder down and delivers a text book check. Not hi fault Wehrs head was down. Si.nce when is hitting to hard a penalty. Just like the hit on Bjugstad early in the year in a high school game. Good hit , just keep your head up.

MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:24 am

The league really missed the ball on this one. Was it charging? Yes. Contact to the head? Maybe. 5 minute major? No. Suspension? Absolutely not. If Wehrs would've had his head up it would've been avoided. If Wehrs would've gotten up after the hit there wouldn't of been a suspension. The video and photo evidence clearly shows his feet were on the ground, Wehrs still had the puck, no contact to the head. When I saw it live I didn't even think it was a penalty. True story.

RLStars

Post by RLStars » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:27 am

I'd have to agree with you that it MAY have been a charge, but I think that is a stretch. The only time he leaves his feet is after the hit when Wehrs is falling backwards and The ND player kind of rides up and over him.

mngopherfan

Re: Frattin Hit

Post by mngopherfan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:32 am

dakotakid wrote:Watch the video on you tube. Frattin glides in with speed shoulder down and delivers a text book check. Not hi fault Wehrs head was down. Si.nce when is hitting to hard a penalty. Just like the hit on Bjugstad early in the year in a high school game. Good hit , just keep your head up.
Textbook charge...he Left his feet. A kid in the ohl was suspended 20 games for a hit similar to this at center ice...the suspension is too little to late for me, i could care less. When you knock a player out of the game with an illegal hit you should sit the rest of that game. The refs screwed up...oh well. Frattin just can't catch a break, with the cops after him all summer and what not. Classy play from a classy kid from a classy university with a classy coach....

dakotakid

Post by dakotakid » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:36 am

Id love to hear what Woog has to say after seeing the video. He and Frank acted like Frattin tried to kill Wehrs and should have been suspended for the season, what a joke.

dakotakid

Post by dakotakid » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:41 am

mngopherfan wrote:
dakotakid wrote:Watch the video on you tube. Frattin glides in with speed shoulder down and delivers a text book check. Not hi fault Wehrs head was down. Si.nce when is hitting to hard a penalty. Just like the hit on Bjugstad early in the year in a high school game. Good hit , just keep your head up.
Textbook charge...he Left his feet. A kid in the ohl was suspended 20 games for a hit similar to this at center ice...the suspension is too little to late for me, i could care less. When you knock a player out of the game with an illegal hit you should sit the rest of that game. The refs screwed up...oh well. Frattin just can't catch a break, with the cops after him all summer and what not. Classy play from a classy kid from a classy university with a classy coach....
Watch the video on you tube it will prove every thing you just said is wrong. WATCH THE VIDEO!!!

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:45 am

dakotakid wrote:
mngopherfan wrote:
Watch the video on you tube it will prove every thing you just said is wrong. WATCH THE VIDEO!!!
I've seen the video dude, he left his feet.

dakotakid

Post by dakotakid » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:48 am

not till after the hit Dude. WATCH THE VIDEO!!!

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:52 am

dakotakid wrote:not till after the hit Dude. WATCH THE VIDEO!!!
Dude, a hit doesn't end on contact, the follow through is part of the hit...He left his feet.

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:27 am

mngopherfan wrote:
dakotakid wrote:
mngopherfan wrote:
I've seen the video dude, he left his feet.
You are correct he left his feet. I don't know how people think other than that..

dakotakid

Post by dakotakid » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:36 am

It is really hard to talk to someone with such little knowledge of the rules. look up the rule where leaving your feet is concerned. Rule [606] A. A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who runs or jumps INTO or charges an opponent. [note] if more than two strides or steps are taken, it shall be charging. After a collision bodies are flying all over. The video clearly shows him gliding into the check and does not leave his feet untile after the hit. The hit was not a penalty by rule [606] charging. WATCH THE VIDEO

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:57 am

dakotakid wrote:It is really hard to talk to someone with such little knowledge of the rules. look up the rule where leaving your feet is concerned. Rule [606] A. A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who runs or jumps INTO or charges an opponent. [note] if more than two strides or steps are taken, it shall be charging. After a collision bodies are flying all over. The video clearly shows him gliding into the check and does not leave his feet untile after the hit. The hit was not a penalty by rule [606] charging. WATCH THE VIDEO
Wow you're impossible. Even if it was his momentum, that carried him to being damn near parallel IN THE AIR FEET OFF THE GROUND, that itself shows that he took a run at the kid. Both instances are charging. End of story.

FYI: he left his feet.

By the way I have Refereed for 8 years...i would have tossed a kid if they had that hit. NO QUESTION ASKED.

dakotakid

Post by dakotakid » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:05 pm

Rule [606] charging is clear and so is the video.Take the maroon and gold
glasses off. Have a nice day. :D WOW that ref comment really concerns me. :shock:

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:19 pm

dakotakid wrote:Rule [606] charging is clear and so is the video.Take the maroon and gold
glasses off. Have a nice day. :D WOW that ref comment really concerns me. :shock:
Haha, take the black and green off my boy. it was blatant, in the continuation of the hit he left his feet. there is no way he didn't have that in motion while he hit him. It was uncalled for and illegal. I wouldn't expect you to realize that as the Sioux never do anything wrong. The funny thing is i doubt he would have been suspended except for the fact the precedent had been set after everyone at NoDak bitched about the marvin hit (for the record, also a suspension worth hit).

I don't disagree with you, obviously you know more than most because you can google a rule...brilliant. Congrats on life. :roll:

dakotakid

Post by dakotakid » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:43 pm

mngopherfan wrote:
dakotakid wrote:Rule [606] charging is clear and so is the video.Take the maroon and gold
Haha, take the black and green off my boy. it was blatant, in the continuation of the hit he left his feet. there is no way he didn't have that in motion while he hit him. It was uncalled for and illegal. I wouldn't expect you to realize that as the Sioux never do anything wrong. The funny thing is i doubt he would have been suspended except for the fact the precedent had been set after everyone at NoDak bitched about the marvin hit (for the record, also a suspension worth hit).

I don't disagree with you, obviously you know more than most because you can google a rule...brilliant. Congrats on life. :roll:
I have the rule book on my desk and I have coached for over 25yrs. I also was a player and a ref. This is why hockey is the canadians game and always will be. You guys want a bunch of Aaron Ness type players with no hitting. Lets all just watch girls hockey. :roll:

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:46 pm

dakotakid wrote:
mngopherfan wrote:

I have the rule book on my desk and I have coached for over 25yrs. I also was a player and a ref. This is why hockey is the canadians game and always will be. You guys want a bunch of Aaron Ness type players with no hitting. Lets all just watch girls hockey. :roll:
And you want teams to lose player to concussions? i never said hitting was bad...this type of hit shouldn't be a part of the game. And we'll take all the Ness' and you keep taking the Felons....i'm sure R.E. would be proud.

dakotakid

Post by dakotakid » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:53 pm

My point is and was that the hit was legal.And no I dont want anyone getting hurt, but it is a rough game and players do get hurt. That does'nt mean the hit was illegal.

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:55 pm

dakotakid wrote:My point is and was that the hit was legal.And no I dont want anyone getting hurt, but it is a rough game and players do get hurt. That does'nt mean the hit was illegal.
I agree 100%, but that hit was illegal. He left his feet. I'm done.

dakotakid

Post by dakotakid » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:00 pm

mngopherfan wrote:
dakotakid wrote:My point is and was that the hit was legal.And no I dont want anyone getting hurt, but it is a rough game and players do get hurt. That does'nt mean the hit was illegal.
Does that mean I win? Just kidding,good talking to you. :D

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:10 pm

dakotakid wrote:
mngopherfan wrote:
Does that mean I win? Just kidding,good talking to you. :D
Agree to disagree...fair?

BBB

Post by BBB » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:38 pm

if you watch it in slow mo you see wehrs crouch down, take one hand off his stick, and try to move the puck up the boards with a one-handed, poke check pass. He has to defend himself not put his head 3-4ft off the ground with a 200 lb convict coming at him full speed. ND had two other forwards coming down the boards if the pass would have got through so its not like he had much to gain.
This one makes you wish they had fighting in college hockey so regardless of if it was legal someone on the gophers could have drop the gloves and policed the game a little bit. Oh wait, no one on the gophers would have dropped them anyway. Nevermind

dakotakid

Post by dakotakid » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:46 pm

There is'nt fighting in high school so none of the Gophs even know what to do besides facewash

CanadianTuxedo

Sour grapes

Post by CanadianTuxedo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:04 pm

It really saddens me that Frats was suspended. He'll be out for a game, that topic is over and done.

I find it funny that most Gopher fans are screaming bloody murder for this hit, and Sioux fans are saying it was clean. (I know for a fact sides would switch if it were Wehrs hitting Frats :lol: )

I was at this game and this hit was a big one. Wehrs played the puck, Frats went to take the hit with great momentum, Wehrs' head was down, and Frats laid the boom. The hit wasn't clean nor was it worthy of a suspension. MY opinion. A 2 minute charge was worthy, but not a 5 minute major. The kid got decked and appears was knocked out for a short time based on his appendages stiffening. The game is hockey folks, it gets rough out there.

Jbone

Post by Jbone » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:00 pm

It looks like to me that at the 0:11 second mark, the that same hit was put onto a certain ND player who shall go nameless who had a certain end to his certain season by a certain player! NO penalty there but I would think that Malone should maybe be harrassed and threatened with life too! Not a whole lot a difference in my mind.

Back was turned. Glided in. Hands went high. Player was aggressive. All the things you want from a player right????

Long live Marvin:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX6wqVuAQ6w For Frattin/ Malone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITd8XYiiviA For Marvin

CanadianTuxedo

Post by CanadianTuxedo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:22 pm

Jbone wrote:It looks like to me that at the 0:11 second mark, the that same hit was put onto a certain ND player who shall go nameless who had a certain end to his certain season by a certain player! NO penalty there but I would think that Malone should maybe be harrassed and threatened with life too! Not a whole lot a difference in my mind.

Back was turned. Glided in. Hands went high. Player was aggressive. All the things you want from a player right????

Long live Marvin:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX6wqVuAQ6w For Frattin/ Malone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITd8XYiiviA For Marvin
Whole lot of differences between the two.