14A State Tournament in Cloquet- Who do you like and why?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

Cornhuskeroil

14A State Tournament in Cloquet- Who do you like and why?

Post by Cornhuskeroil »

Friday March 19th

Wayzata vs Champlin Park
Moorhead vs Blaine
Andover vs Minnetonka
Roseau vs Edina
Itsabig lake

Re: 14A State Tournament in Cloquet- Who do you like and why

Post by Itsabig lake »

Cornhuskeroil wrote:Friday March 19th

Wayzata vs Champlin Park
Moorhead vs Blaine
Andover vs Minnetonka
Roseau vs Edina
They are all good teams. I like the District 10 teams to do well here.
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

From the season and this past weekend play, some thoughts...

Wayzata - Best skating team I saw this year, very well balanced and playing very well right now...

Tonka - Excellent goalie and defenseman #8, small forwards, nice team... #8 is a treat, watch for end to end rushes... Goalie is exceptional at seeing the puck through traffic and getting something on it, something...

Edina - Big team that can really skate, big D, some big forwards also, nice player in #15 at forward... There are several other nice skaters - #6, #9, #17... good team!

Andover - 4-5 really nice forwards, and a couple of very good D, and a goalie that can be very good at times... This team has moved the puck on our girls very well in a couple games this year, PP is very good...

Blaine - Have not seen this team, but know a couple of the girls COOPed from Anoka, and they are very good players, and they seem to be playing well right now

Champlin Park - Small team, but fast, move the puck well, speed is their key to winning games, maybe lacks physical presence, but good team...

Sorry, we did not play or see Roseau or Moorhead, but heard that the Roseau girls move the feet and puck very well, as would be expected from there...

Good luck to all the teams, wish we could have been there too, but ran into some good hockey teams in Maple Grove this past weekend!

Have fun and enjoy the moment! 8)
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

Roseau- When the goalie is on they are tough to beat. Dmandad was right. They move their feet and the puck very well.

Moorhead. Goalie is exceptional. 50 save OT shutout in Region final to get to state. Two pretty good forwards and some good role players.
iwatchalotofhockey

Cant make next week's tourney you can listen in live on MSBN

Post by iwatchalotofhockey »

Just a quick FYI if you cannot make it up to Cloquet to watch in person you can listen to the 14U tourney and 12U again this year on MSBN!

We will be covering (4) MN Hockey youth state tourneys again live on our network.

www.MnSportsNetwork.com

God luck to all teams participating in this years tourney!
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

thanks, Dman, nice summary
royals dad

Post by royals dad »

My daughter has summer teammates and friends on a few of the 14u teams in state. She was hoping someone who is up there will post some scores and game summaries during the tournament. If your up there and have a computer it would be appreciated.

Have a great weekend of hockey!
BeenAround

14 State

Post by BeenAround »

It really is a toss up. Wayzata was the classic case of starting out light years ahead of everyone and then peaking at the Cake Eater tournament in November. after coaching against Edina(best head coach), Wayzata, Blaine, Champlain Pk, Blaine and Tonka. I think Blaine will beat Edina 4-2 with an EN goal. Could be wrong, but its a good guess since we played against 6 of 8 teams in tournament. However, these are the games were certain coaches can out coach opponents. Been to 3 girls State tournaments and 4 boys. remember, just for fun-right?
BeenAround

Re: 14 State

Post by BeenAround »

BeenAround wrote:It really is a toss up. Wayzata was the classic case of starting out light years ahead of everyone and then peaking at the Cake Eater tournament in November. after coaching against Edina(best head coach), Wayzata, Blaine, Champlain Pk, Blaine and Tonka. I think Blaine will beat Edina 4-2 with an EN goal. Could be wrong, but its a good guess since we played against 6 of 8 teams in tournament. However, these are the games were certain coaches can out coach opponents. Been to 3 girls State tournaments and 4 boys. remember, just for fun-right?
:lol:
Mac15

Post by Mac15 »

Congratulations to Edina for their 14UA state championship. It looks like the National Region teams (or could I say D6) did very well at the tournament. It was a pleasure playing against them. I wish we could have advanced too.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Edina consistently shortened their bench and utilized specialty units and played to win. Wayzata suffered a hiccup vs. Blaine when staying with their goalie rotation, but they were the strongest team from 1st - 3rd lines. The other teams played straight up for the most part. Edina played well in their 3 games. Very good passing by Roseau and Wayzata including some pretty goals. Moorhead goalie was very good on low shots and gave up very few rebounds there, but gave up a couple of soft high goals in the 1-1/2 games I saw. She was the 3rd or 4th best goalie in the tournament, didn't see her the rest of the season so don't know if it was an aberration. Moorhead had two great players as did Roseau, Minnetonka had a great defenseman. Blaine had a great forward who would be even better if she passed the puck. Minnetonka & Roseau goalies played well. Several OT games and some other close ones. Reffing was inconsistent. All in all some very good play. Any one of the final 4 teams could have won it all depending on how they played that weekend. This weekend it was Edina.
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

Maybe Edina learned something at the boys AA tournament this year.

The last few years Edina HS boys played with a short bench to get the most benefit from a select few "greats". The were selected to win, but didn't bring home a championship. This year we saw more even playing times with suppoosedly less talented players. Oh, and a championship trophy too!

I don't care how talented two, three or four players are. They will not win against a team with three good lines. Unless your keeper is up to stopping 30+ shots when your starting line is too tired to keep up with fresh legs.

If you want a hockey dynasty you need to develop the entire team. I don't expect Edina to repeat.

Man, I just re-read this post and it sounds kind of mean. Don't wish to imply that Edina didn't diserve to win. Just trying to make the point that playing a short bench is not a good long term strategy.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

luckyEPDad wrote:Maybe Edina learned something at the boys AA tournament this year.

The last few years Edina HS boys played with a short bench to get the most benefit from a select few "greats". The were selected to win, but didn't bring home a championship. This year we saw more even playing times with suppoosedly less talented players. Oh, and a championship trophy too!

I don't care how talented two, three or four players are. They will not win against a team with three good lines. Unless your keeper is up to stopping 30+ shots when your starting line is too tired to keep up with fresh legs.

If you want a hockey dynasty you need to develop the entire team. I don't expect Edina to repeat.

Man, I just re-read this post and it sounds kind of mean. Don't wish to imply that Edina didn't diserve to win. Just trying to make the point that playing a short bench is not a good long term strategy.
You hit the nail on the head there EPDad and thanks for sharing your comments. It all starts in the youth development programs and the vision should run all the way up through high school. The late great Herb Brooks wanted to build a large base of kids in program around the state. He understood our great resource. Sad to say few have followed Herbs wisdom of growing the sport. Congrats to Curt for figuring it out over at Edina. :wink:
royals dad

Post by royals dad »

There was a thread and poll about shortening the bench on the forum this year most seemed to think U14 playoffs and state was where it started to become acceptable.

The reality for most associations is that they do not have western suburb (EP/Edina/Tonka/Wayzata) like numbers and a three line team at the A level is hardly possible. That is also true of almost every HS team in the state, from watching a lot of games the last few years Stillwater 08-09 was the exception I remember. The reality is a good number of the girls on the U14A will never see Varsity.

For large associations like EP or Edina they will take 20 to 30 U8s in a birth year and get that group to 5 or 6 varsity players. Smaller associations take 10 or less U8s and hold on tight to try and get 4 or 5 all the way through. My point is that a short bench at U14A State doesn't indicate anything about the future of the program. Nor does 3 lines at U12 State.

Parents spend way to much time worrying about the next level or the program. Sounds like the Edina girls had a great year. I hope at all levels the parents and players take the time to appreciate their special state championship season. Your the champs of the State of Hockey congrats enjoy! Wear your medal and sweatshirt out.
BlaineU14AGoalie

Post by BlaineU14AGoalie »

From my perspective the tournament was fun but also hard. Coming from the Blaine Goalie I have been through alot throughout the season, dealing with Osgood Schlater Disease was not helping either. During the tournament there was a few times where the team kinda relied on me to stop the puck while they watched. I put all my energy into the first two games which in return I got a shutout and helped my team get to the Championship but in the end made me pay because I didn't have anything left in me to play against Edina. I'm known for having a fast glove but during the Edina game I couldn't catch, I was slow to get up, I left alot of rebounds and they capitalized on that. I was disappionted to lose but also glad to actually made it that far.