Section 1A 2010-2011

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

GopherPuck15

Section 1A 2010-2011

Post by GopherPuck15 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:42 pm

What's 1A going to look like this year? Lourdes repeat? Let's get the hockey talk going for the new season!

bstarr15

Post by bstarr15 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:48 pm

I just don't know much about anybody this year in 1A so it would be nice to hear from somebody "in the know" and learn who's out there and what the expectations are.
Lourdes returning freshmen and solid D from last year,thats about all I've got.
NP
Redwing lost Orbousky
Fairbault lost player to Jr.s
AL.???? dropped off the map after '08-'09
Fill in the blanks, thanks

nickel slots

Post by nickel slots » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:02 pm

bstarr15 wrote:I just don't know much about anybody this year in 1A so it would be nice to hear from somebody "in the know" and learn who's out there and what the expectations are.
Lourdes returning freshmen and solid D from last year,thats about all I've got.
NP
Redwing lost Orbousky
Fairbault lost player to Jr.s
AL.???? dropped off the map after '08-'09
Fill in the blanks, thanks
NP - They'll be solid defensively this year.... All of their D and starting goalie are back. Will need to figure out a way to score goals to unseat Lourdes. Lost the two leading scorers from a team that didn't score many goals to start with.

Red Wing - Leading returning scorer had 12 points last year, so they'll be challenged to score goals, too. Losing a stellar coach in Nemanich. Still have Sam Amendolar stopping pucks, but looking at his numbers, a .844 save percentage from last year is a surprise... they'll need him stopping more pucks than that this year to compete.

Faribault - Lost a ton of scoring from last year (3 of top 4 and 7 of top 10 to graduation or defection) but have goaltending coming back. Lipinski and Helgeson will have to carry this team for them to have success when sections roll around.

Albert Lea - They'll have potential Big 9 POTY Carlson and his running mate Stolt to light the lamp, but lost the guys that ate the minutes on the blue line and their primary goaltender. They will have their share of run-n-gun 7-5 games this year... but if they can find a hot goalie for the stretch run, don't count them out.

Northfield - Lose Pumper but return a healthy amount of scoring in Scofield & Co. (return 4 of top 6 scorers). Also have Docken anchoring the blue line and both goalies coming back.

Mankato West - Drew Weber is the key to this team. He was pretty quiet when he returned last year. Olsen & Frentz will also have to carry a big load. Also have primary goaltender coming back, but lose their horse in Campbell to graduation.

Mankato East - Lost a huge senior class. Probably won't be a factor in 1a this year.

Lourdes - The early odds-on favorite. They really only lose Chezick up front. Lots of experience and young talent coming back. If somebody else is going to the X, it's through Lourdes.

The field - I don't know much about Austin, Waseca, LaCrescent or LeSueur. If anybody can fill us in on these clubs, it might be a more informed synopsis.

My early prediction for the top 8 section seeds:
1. Lourdes
2. Faribault
3. New Prague
4. Northfield/Albert Lea
5. Albert Lea/Northfield
6. Red Wing
7. Mankato West
8. Mankato East
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's all small stuff.

scarlethockey33

Post by scarlethockey33 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:05 am

Lourdes clearly are the team to beat at the start of this season, they return some good small forwards like Funk, Chezick and Samuelson a solid D led by Rory Vessel.

Now for the Mankato schools, east will obviously be extremely down this season, expecting wins no matter who they face will be difficult

West on the other hand seems to have a good flow of young players. Lost of Matt Campbell is the biggest loss on this team. Though they can't immediately replace a great player like Campbell, West will be trying to figure out throughout the season how they can patch up this defense. Scoring will be by most of the same players including Frentz and Brown. Goaltending is much of the same with Kaufman

Biggest question coming into this season for my Scarlets is who steps up on defense for this team?
With the loss of Matt Campbell and don't forget Nate Jose, both which ate up a lot of ice time last season, there is a void that needs to be filled and this Scarlet defense is relatively young and not to mention small.
As soon as West figures out the defense situation, they are contenders just as much as anyone else in the section.

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:14 pm

I don't see anyone taking down the Lourdes this year in section playoffs. Their success at state will be questionable though.

PoNd HocKey ChAmP67

Post by PoNd HocKey ChAmP67 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:57 pm

Lourdes is returning a lot of talent from their State tournament team one year ago. And their new head coach has one year under his belt. Lourdes will be the definite favorite all year long for the section. Than after that the rest of the section seems to wide open to compete for those last few spots.

Faribault lost some key guys from their #1 seeded team who lost in the semis last year. But they do return soem key guys like Helgeson and Lapinski along with their goaltending.

New Prague was strong defensively last year, they do lose a couple key guys on the blue line like Olsen and they will probably have trouble scoring once again. They also return Morris between the pipes.

Northfield lost Pumper (their leading scorer) but return guys like Scofield and Beckers at forward. And Docken and others on the blue line. They return both their Varsity goaltenders from last year.

Red Wing I think will struggle again this year. They lost key guys like Noesen and losing another top scorer to BSM. And there will be a sense of change with their long time coach retiring.

Don't know a lot about the rest...

My Pre-Season Rankings
1. Lourdes
2. Faribault
3. New Prague/Northfield
4. Northfield/New Prague
5. Albert Lea
6. Mankato West
7. Red Wing
8. Waseca
9. Mankato East
10. LeSueur
11. Austin

scarlethockey33

Post by scarlethockey33 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:13 pm

Austin will be typical Austin and be a non-factor in the 1A race, they lose a key player in goaltender Aaron Dooley.

Mankato East is questionable to even post a varsity team this year. They lose a ton of players to graduation and most of the players in the Bantam programs for Mankato attend Mankato West.

Albert Lea will be a work in progress. Some questions on who their goalie will be, but they have a decent core of players returning in Carlson and Stolt. Albert Lea is always a dangerous team by the end of the season. Roy Nystrom gets his players playing their best hockey by the end of the season.

Mankato West keeps the majority of their players, but loses key defensemen in Campbell and Jose. Their highest scoring line returns in Olson, Resner and Brown, also Weber will return after a season-ending injury last season. I think West will be a viable top 5 team preseason and towards the end of the season I could see them being as high as a top 3 team in this section.

4AAhockeystud

Post by 4AAhockeystud » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:31 pm

I think Lourdes is the pre season favorite in my opinion they are returning a lot of key players from last years team. Like Funk, Vessel, Chezick, Samuelson.

Faribault lost most of their guys to graduation I believe. They will have to get a lot of their load from guys like Lipinski, Helegson, Teske and Forgaard for them to have a chance to get to state.

Albert Lea could surprise some teams in section 1A, they only got Stolt and Carlson back but their coach is known for getting that team ready.

after that i dont really know if anyone can give a run for 1A

bstarr15

Post by bstarr15 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:54 am

Just an FYI, I've seen him refered two twice, Chezick graduated.
Beyond Funk, Samelson,Vessel they will have Nellans,Waz,Nicolay Krecke Brandrup and Heimer in net as a senior to name a few more as well. I think Lourdes will be the team to beat in 1A

GopherPuck15

Post by GopherPuck15 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:58 pm

Preseason:
1.Lourdes
2.Faribault
3.Mankato West
4.Albert Lea
5.New Prague
6.Northfield
7.Red Wing
8.Waseca
9.St. Peter
10.Austin
11.Mankato East

scarlethockey33

Post by scarlethockey33 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:32 pm

Just an FYI, I've seen him refered two twice, Chezick graduated.
yeah i made that mistake one of those two, but either way I agree with you Lourdes is the only definite team in this section. They return alot of the same young talent that brought them to the X last year.

I think all the other teams in this section have something to prove and question marks that need to be answered before they are ranked properly.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:59 pm

According to the Big Nine website Mankato East isn't fielding a JV team this year.

scarlethockey33

Post by scarlethockey33 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:52 pm

if east is hoping to compete in varsity, a lot of the weight will have to be held on their Junior goaltender Lucas Weihe, their program typically plays alot of 3a teams so i do expect few wins from east, but it's definitely looks to be a long season already

GopherPuck15

Post by GopherPuck15 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:06 am

I'm so anxious for this season to get underway! We're about two weeks from one of the most exciting times of the hockey season. Hopefully whoever does win 1A this year, will represent the section well. Who's the best players in the section? Funk? Carlson? Lipinski? Parker? Samuelsson?

jackstraw

1A

Post by jackstraw » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:58 am

Others to consider, Stolt, Helgeson, Adams, Dokken, Vessel, Head, Mundy, and I am sure others. No Parker, he's playing Midgets in Kansas City. No clearcut favorite team but give Lourdes the early shout, they won it last year with a very young team.

GopherPuck15

Post by GopherPuck15 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:35 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mundy would be considered section 1AA correct?

hockeyoldtimer

Section 1A

Post by hockeyoldtimer » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:55 pm

I too think Lourdes is an early season favorite. Alot of returning players who have been to state and some bright, young talent.

bobforhockey

1A

Post by bobforhockey » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:22 pm

OK Lourdees, settle down

Funk or Samuelson best in the Section? Uh, no. No doubt will be good sophs, but teams will see them coming this year. Let's see how they do with much higher expectations.....Lourdes may be the fav, but they still have to play the games.

I'll be watching UnFairbault, and don't sleep on Albert Lea. :twisted:

Rookie19

Post by Rookie19 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Parents have already Made reservations in St. Paul. It's pretty much a done deal already. Lourdes will win section final in running time.

bobforhockey

Rooms available!

Post by bobforhockey » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:06 am

Rookie19 wrote:Parents have already Made reservations in St. Paul. It's pretty much a done deal already. Lourdes will win section final in running time.
Excited to know that rooms will be available at the last minute from Lourdes parents! Arrogance like that usually ends badly......I'll know who to call for rooms. 8)

BOTCH #3

Post by BOTCH #3 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:31 am

goldy313 wrote:According to the Big Nine website Mankato East isn't fielding a JV team this year.
Correct, with only 14 or 15 players, East will be a Varsity only program for this season.

chawski24

Post by chawski24 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:01 am

rookie19 i will take your room if thats ok. lourdes is not guarenteed anything. parents have reservations haha you make me laugh[/quote]

Jim9000

Post by Jim9000 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:47 pm

Preseason:
1.Lourdes
2.Faribault
3.Mankato West
4.Albert Lea
5.New Prague
6.Northfield
7.Red Wing
8.LaCresent
9.Waseca
10.St. Peter
11.Austin
12.Mankato East

OU812

1A

Post by OU812 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:47 pm

Lourdes seems like the favorite.

About West - They return five of the top six forwards from last season. Weber and Frentz missed almost 30 games between them with injuries last year, so if both stay healthy that should help (Weber was also named Big 9 Defensive Player of the Year in football yesterday).
Last edited by OU812 on Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

scarlethockey33

Post by scarlethockey33 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:56 pm

About West - they have a new Finnish player
Will be quite the addition if all things expected are met. He could possibly give West 2 solid scoring lines with Frentz and Weber. Along with their top scoring line from last year which included Resner, Olsen and Brown.

All that is truly in question is West's defense and if West's defense is in doubt that means that goalie Kaufman will need to definitely step up his game for West to be a complete team.

West plays New Prague on the 30th, any other section games coming up?