Moorhead over Wayzata

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

StillAnEagle

Moorhead over Wayzata

Post by StillAnEagle »

2-1.

Way to go spuds.
Citizens for one class hockey
StillAnEagle

Post by StillAnEagle »

So are there any undefeated teams left in the state? Wayzata and Benilde I think were the last to go down.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

StillAnEagle wrote:So are there any undefeated teams left in the state? Wayzata and Benilde I think were the last to go down.
Just Blaine in Class AA. A couple in Class A are still undefeated.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Congrats to the Spuds!

Bemidji was also undefeated until yesterday, but Blaine now stands alone. However, I doubt that will last long--even if they do get by Minnetonka, they still will have to play Edina or Hill in the last game of the Schwan Cup.

This week always does a wonderful job of wreaking havoc on rankings. We've also got Burnsville going down today, and Grand Rapids tying a team they probably should have beaten. Further craziness is likely to ensue.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

I hope that "the don" was in that stands to watch the Spuds derail the trojans. ha-ha-ha!!! Nice win Moorhead.
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

maybe the north is not as dead as it appeared early...8aa might actually be able to play some hockey afterall
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

black sheep wrote:maybe the north is not as dead as it appeared early...8aa might actually be able to play some hockey afterall
Yes, never count out Moorhead they have a great youth program that feeds a consistantly good high school program. Nice to knock off a program the size of Wayzata that is a signature win against to top dog of AA hockey. 8AA just got back on the map.
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

Roseau has beaten Moorhead and Bemidji has tied them. Maybe 8AA is deeper than folks have given them credit! I realize one game does not a season make, but contrary to a lot of peoples feelings, there is still some good hockey teams north of St. Cloud.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

I wish 8AA would just decide to have their semi-finals the last Friday night as a double header at the new rink in Bemidji. That would be epic.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

karl(east) wrote:Congrats to the Spuds!

Bemidji was also undefeated until yesterday, but Blaine now stands alone. However, I doubt that will last long--even if they do get by Minnetonka, they still will have to play Edina or Hill in the last game of the Schwan Cup.

This week always does a wonderful job of wreaking havoc on rankings. We've also got Burnsville going down today, and Grand Rapids tying a team they probably should have beaten. Further craziness is likely to ensue.
Probably, but that LN team also beat Eagan and played EP well. It looks like this team will probably be representing 1AA; I wouldn't take them lightly. A tie isn't a loss also.
SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT »

east hockey wrote:
StillAnEagle wrote:So are there any undefeated teams left in the state? Wayzata and Benilde I think were the last to go down.
Just Blaine in Class AA. A couple in Class A are still undefeated.

Lee

Blaine is still unbeaten, but has 2 ties.
defense

Post by defense »

rapidsrapids wrote:I wish 8AA would just decide to have their semi-finals the last Friday night as a double header at the new rink in Bemidji. That would be epic.
Deep?
Yes.

Thing is, one of the two who are still in the section that have won it might not get to the semi's. WOuldn't it be interesting if Roseau or Moorhead didn't make it??
You got Moorhead, Brainerd, Roseau, Bemidji, and St. Cloud Tech all in the mix at this point....and I don't know if Moorhead or Roseau is a solid pick yet.
SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT »

defense wrote:
rapidsrapids wrote:I wish 8AA would just decide to have their semi-finals the last Friday night as a double header at the new rink in Bemidji. That would be epic.
You got Moorhead, Brainerd, Roseau, Bemidji, and St. Cloud Tech all in the mix at this point....and I don't know if Moorhead or Roseau is a solid pick yet.

Every team in the state is "in the mix at this point" !
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

At this point, it probably wouldn't be out of the realm, for neither Roseau or Moorhead to be in the final. Lot of hockey left for a team or two to seperate themselves from the pack though.

I think a final in the new rink in Bemidji would be great!
StillAnEagle

Post by StillAnEagle »

Green and White Fan wrote:Roseau has beaten Moorhead and Bemidji has tied them. Maybe 8AA is deeper than folks have given them credit! I realize one game does not a season make, but contrary to a lot of peoples feelings, there is still some good hockey teams north of St. Cloud.
You can NEVER EVER count out the north. I've seen plenty of north teams win games over suburban schools when they were the clear underdog. I appreciate the confidence, attitude, and grittiness that the Roseaus, Grand Rapids, Moorheads, Warroads, etc bring to the rink.

This coming from a big school/suburban kid. Congrats again Moorhead.
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

That would be awesome!
HSS

Post by HSS »

[quote="rapidsrapids"]I wish 8AA would just decide to have their semi-finals the last Friday night as a double header at the new rink in Bemidji. That would be epic.[/quote]

They tried that a couple years ago and the coaches hated it. For 8AA home ice for the semis is a big deal. The other sections that don't have to travel it can work, but case in point last year Brainerd having to go to Roseau for the semis in #3 vs #2 and Roseau gets the win. I'm not sure Roseau wins on neutral ice. The coaches want home ice advantage if they get #1 or #2 in section.
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

Maple Grove 4
Wayzata 2
Someone's not as good as we thought.
EP two out of three.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

HSS wrote:
They tried that a couple years ago and the coaches hated it. For 8AA home ice for the semis is a big deal. The other sections that don't have to travel it can work, but case in point last year Brainerd having to go to Roseau for the semis in #3 vs #2 and Roseau gets the win. I'm not sure Roseau wins on neutral ice. The coaches want home ice advantage if they get #1 or #2 in section.
So why not keep it as a tentative location that the #1 seed earns?
HockeyMN1 wrote:Maple Grove 4
Wayzata 2
Someone's not as good as we thought.
I saw many very close scores on their schedule while not playing that many top opponents.
They lose to a program that got 2nd in state two years ago after a 12-9-3 season, which included an 8 game losing streak, and one they beat at home by 1 this season. They are still a good team, but one that can be beat any night.
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

I'm still going to stand with the Trojans after this slump. It's their year
Doglover

Post by Doglover »

That's what they said about Tonka last year (myself included) and Edina the year before that...everyone has a shot at State at this point in the season. Teams with less "star" talent have a better shot because they play better as a team when it counts.
High Flyer

Post by High Flyer »

Doglover wrote:That's what they said about Tonka last year (myself included) and Edina the year before that...everyone has a shot at State at this point in the season. Teams with less "star" talent have a better shot because they play better as a team when it counts.
One of the most intelligent posts I have read in years, glad I was trolling this morning to read it

I remember laughing at MyFoxHockey season premier when the so called expert stated that there were only 7 teams that could make a legitimate claim on the number one spot. I would love to see him replay this and ask him what he thinks now.
AlterEagle

Post by AlterEagle »

High Flyer wrote:
Doglover wrote:That's what they said about Tonka last year (myself included) and Edina the year before that...everyone has a shot at State at this point in the season. Teams with less "star" talent have a better shot because they play better as a team when it counts.
One of the most intelligent posts I have read in years, glad I was trolling this morning to read it

I remember laughing at MyFoxHockey season premier when the so called expert stated that there were only 7 teams that could make a legitimate claim on the number one spot. I would love to see him replay this and ask him what he thinks now.
I would suggest that there's a difference between the number 1 spot and the State Champs (even though the State champs, by default, get the 1 rating at the end of the season). The expert probably feels the same. Just my opinion though.
Factsmatter1

Post by Factsmatter1 »

I suspect all the teams that make it to the state tourney will have 5-8 losses or more this year...
5th Line Center

Post by 5th Line Center »

AlterEagle wrote:
High Flyer wrote:

I would suggest that there's a difference between the number 1 spot and the State Champs (even though the State champs, by default, get the 1 rating at the end of the season). The expert probably feels the same. Just my opinion though.
Tonka last year, Edina the year before that, and Roseau the year before that... One team might appear to stand out on paper, but they don't just hand the trophy to the team that seems to have the best roster. You gotta play the games--and the team that shows up to play takes home the prize, even if they had been the inferior team up to that point in time... 8)