Ville Rantanen - Mankato West

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

letsgowild

Post by letsgowild » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:26 pm

I have to agree with Defiant and coach95 on this one, there is no reason to leave your first line out there if you have a ten goal lead at any time!!
(at least the 3rd period)

ballhog

Post by ballhog » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:29 am

i would like to see him play against class AA teams. of course it would be a bit unfair for him because mankato west is not on the level of those teams, but it would give a better picture how good of a player he really is

Henk

Post by Henk » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:58 am

Defiant wrote:
scarlethockey33 wrote:
Too bad they forget to teach him class and humility, he may be good, but without class, he will never be great....
referring to the number of goals scored? or what?
all they did last nite was pad the stat line, the first goal was the game winner, were the other 14 necessary?
rather have west just cycle the puck for the last period of hockey? because they could've easily just passed around East for the last 17 minutes.. as oddly as it sounds personally I think continuing to play at a high level shows more respect to the rival East players than backing down and not scoring..
the over celebrating a 15th goal and trash talking the east bench shows no class. how about not trying pad the stats and beat the other team into the ground, must make a get feel all warm and fuzzy knowing they put up the same amount of goals as we have players?

have you been on the wrong side of a blow out mr scarlet?
A very weird attitude towards high school hockey and boys having fun when scoring. If I had the empty netter, would I be "classy" to throw the puck over boards or just throw it somewhere else? No, the classy part is when you do your best till the end, because that's the best way for the other part to learn and you to show respect for the other teams effort.

And yes, i'm an awful hockey player and have played against a team where the first line turned their sticks upside down when the score was 2-0 and just 10 minutes played of a 60 minutes game. Just that they "wouldn't make it a blowout". I would have preferred they played their asses out so we could try to play better and still not lose over 12-0. Because when the scoreboard says you're over 10 down, you know there is something to learn from the other team.

scarlethockey33

Post by scarlethockey33 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:28 am

one goal vs. Lourdes in the lasting seconds and four points (2g, 2a) against Albert Lea

OU812

Post by OU812 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:54 pm

...and another hat trick today vs. Winona in a 6-0 West win.

Ken Dryden

Post by Ken Dryden » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:26 am

Still sounds like he is doing well - just not off the charts like the first dozen games. So how long before Jutting signs him up for the Mavs? USHL? NAHL?

The Talon

Post by The Talon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:19 pm

I dont think he is that good. He definitely has skills with the puck, but he doesnt work without the puck.

Lourdes shut him down---I am sure most good teams would do the same. West basically plays a cupcake schedule so his stats are padded---Austin, Winona, East---please.

OU812

Post by OU812 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:45 pm

Yes, Talon, your Lourdes team held him to only a goal. Still, Ville has had an awesome season. Plus, the last ten games or so (especially against Lourdes and Prior Lake) he has had guys all over him, all game long. He's still likely to break the single season goal scoring record of 45 at West.

According to the Hockey Hub poll, about 350 people voted him as their choice for mid season Mr. Hockey. And let's face it - he's one of the most exciting offensive players in the state to watch.

Ken, no offers out of Jutting (or any other D1 coaches) just yet. I see Rantanen heading to juniors somewhere, and then playing in college hockey. But, what do I know?

GopherPuck15

Post by GopherPuck15 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:10 pm

OU812 wrote:Yes, Talon, your Lourdes team held him to only a goal. Still, Ville has had an awesome season. Plus, the last ten games or so (especially against Lourdes and Prior Lake) he has had guys all over him, all game long. He's still likely to break the single season goal scoring record of 45 at West.

According to the Hockey Hub poll, about 350 people voted him as their choice for mid season Mr. Hockey. And let's face it - he's one of the most exciting offensive players in the state to watch.

Ken, no offers out of Jutting (or any other D1 coaches) just yet. I see Rantanen heading to juniors somewhere, and then playing in college hockey. But, what do I know?
he's an nahl player, borderline ushl. He doesn't work without the puck, that's true. And he doesn't use his speed enough to his advantage. The few times I've seen him play, instead of beating a defenseman wide, he tries dangling through guys which won't work at the next level. He's similar to former West star Ricky Litchfield, but with more scoring touch. He's gonna have to get a bit better work ethic and do some more of the little things right to play in the ushl.

new jersey

Post by new jersey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:44 pm

Watched the West AL game last night very exciting game lots of action but have to agree ville does not work until he gets the puck. He also took a cheap shot at the Albert Lea goalie that almost took wangen out of the game the very next shift ville got hit at center ice and laid on the ice for probably close to ten minutes before getting carried off to the bench then missed one shift and was back out. A little later tried to run wangen again. The kid has no class. I was impressed with some of the other West players they play hard.

justlivin

Post by justlivin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:55 am

New Jersey, I suppose chanting USA shows class. You say nothing of why Ville was laying on the Ice and the as you say cheep shot that was taken at him. Correct me if I'm wrong but the young adult drew at least 3 penalties in that game( i.e. cheep shots) and this has been happening all season. So when you say no class maybe you need to take a look in the mirror.

new jersey

Post by new jersey » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:48 am

justliving i agree the young man that hit ville at center ice has taken alot of stupid penalties but this is not a board about him and if he is a great player or not. I just think if you are not really hurt as a player u need suck it up and get yourself to the bench. Maybe he likes the drama?

nickel slots

Post by nickel slots » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:13 am

According to the insiders on this forum, the kid is a "borderline USHL/NAHL" type of guy. The question I would have to ask is whether or not it would be worth it for a USHL team to use one of their two "foreigner" spots for him???
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's all small stuff.

Hockey Talk

Post by Hockey Talk » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:53 am

justlivin wrote:New Jersey, I suppose chanting USA shows class.

USA Chant towards the Exchange Student? :roll:

What happened to the old faithfull chant ALBERT LEA , ALBERT LEA. :lol:

Albert Lea has always been the type , we can DISH your team ( But ) don't you dare DISH our team. :roll:

I hope Albert Lea gets a Exchange Student that plays hockey some year. Then they will have to eat CROW. :oops:
Hi , Coach Roy & Mike from Albert Lea ,MN.

new jersey

Post by new jersey » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:46 pm

Are we talking about the whole student body of albert lea now, having class? or are we just an albert lea basher? ive herd your a real class act! Eh Mark!

Hockey Talk

Post by Hockey Talk » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:59 pm

Were talking how mud flows down hill in Albert Lea hockey. It starts with some of the hockey Coaches , parents and fans. It's kinda like MONKEY see MONKEY do. :lol:
Hi , Coach Roy & Mike from Albert Lea ,MN.

Dog_Log17

Post by Dog_Log17 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:18 pm

new jersey wrote:Watched the West AL game last night very exciting game lots of action but have to agree ville does not work until he gets the puck. He also took a cheap shot at the Albert Lea goalie that almost took wangen out of the game the very next shift ville got hit at center ice and laid on the ice for probably close to ten minutes before getting carried off to the bench then missed one shift and was back out. A little later tried to run wangen again. The kid has no class. I was impressed with some of the other West players they play hard.
Ville did NOT take a cheap shot at the AL goalie. He was pushed into him on a rush. He does need to work harder when he does not have the puck though, I agree with you there.

I have watched about a dozen games so far this year. The kid has great hands, a great shot and has a great scoring touch. He does need a lot of work with his defense and effort when he does not have the puck.

My verdict: USHL

scarlethockey33

Post by scarlethockey33 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:15 am

new jersey wrote:justliving i agree the young man that hit ville at center ice has taken alot of stupid penalties but this is not a board about him and if he is a great player or not. I just think if you are not really hurt as a player u need suck it up and get yourself to the bench. Maybe he likes the drama?
did you see the cheap shot? from where I was viewing it looked practically like a knee to knee the player that pulled that hit should've been sent out of the game for intent to injury, no doubt he was in some pain for a while, definitely not something you just suck up and skate straight to the bench for, luckily it was nothing more serious

Ken Dryden

Post by Ken Dryden » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:22 am

Wow...a disappointing end to an overall outstanding season. He didn't get the Minnesota scoring title, but he did lead in goals and I believe he set a West goal scoring record.

I see that he got no points against Red Wing last night. Did they shut him down or was he part of all of those disallowed goals.

Anyhow, it was fun following his stats this year. I was hoping to see him and the Scarlets at the X again. Looks like they lose quite a bit of firepower to graduation but they do have a good core of youngsters and a pretty good bantam crop coming too.

Now who to root for???