Best rink in the state?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Cdale

Post by Cdale »

Green and White Fan wrote:Have to go with Roseau's Memorial. From the museum type atmosphere of the warming area, complete with trophies and pictures of all the greats who once laced them up for Roseau, to the arena area adorned with the many banners. I can't imagine a more historical place, with as rich of a hockey tradition.
Agree. Best rink could have many answers. Best facility or best history or best over all combo platter??
I'd go with Braemar & Roseau. Love the pics of Broten(s) and such. I imagine the wall of fame has been updated with a pic of Byufglen (sp?) and Lord Stanleys Cup! Still can't believe the Cup made it to Roseau. Broten should have done it too.
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

Braemar has added a mural with the 10 State title teams on it and a number of full size action photos from those years. Pretty cool.
SoftMitts

Post by SoftMitts »

I like the old rinks that have seating on both sides and tradition:

Richfield
Burnsville
BIG
Braemar
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

How about a rule that says you can't just throw out your home towns rink? Anyway, I would have to say the little Ralph in TRF. That is an amazing facility. I'm amazed every time I go and watch a game there.
pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 »

Hermantown's rinks has got to be on the list.
dirtracing17

Post by dirtracing17 »

pipersniper12 wrote:Hermantown's rinks has got to be on the list.
are you being sarcastic, thats the coldest one ive ever been in, crammed seating. one nice thing is there sound system, penalty boxes have no glass around them and are right next to the bench
you can live in your car, but can't race your house
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

1. Hibbing Memorial Arena
2. The old barn in Cloquet
3. Heritage Arena

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 »

dirtracing17 wrote:
pipersniper12 wrote:Hermantown's rinks has got to be on the list.
are you being sarcastic, thats the coldest one ive ever been in, crammed seating. one nice thing is there sound system, penalty boxes have no glass around them and are right next to the bench
I'd rate hoyt lakes, babbit and ely above hermantown. Sound system? It's alright if you're a player but as a spectator, you come out of the game with frost bite and two blown ear drums.
pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 »

east hockey wrote:1. Hibbing Memorial Arena

Lee
Best playoff atmosphere ever!! Hands down [-X
MNHockey_6

Post by MNHockey_6 »

warriors41 wrote:How about a rule that says you can't just throw out your home towns rink? Anyway, I would have to say the little Ralph in TRF. That is an amazing facility. I'm amazed every time I go and watch a game there.
I still think everyone who doesn't list the little Ralph in TRF is either crazy or they have never been there. As far as best tradition and stuff like that Roseau is definitely up there.
no97

Post by no97 »

MNHockey_6 wrote:I still think everyone who doesn't list the little Ralph in TRF is either crazy or they have never been there. As far as best tradition and stuff like that Roseau is definitely up there.
I have said that TRF has to be the nicest HS hockey rink in the world. Sure, there are college, minor league and NHL rinks that are nicer, but if there is a nicer rink where HS is the top level that plays there, I'd love to see it.

It's like those folks that show those multi-million dollar HS football stadiums in Texas that people flip out about. The little Ralph is the OMFG Minnesota HS hockey version of those.

http://www.vintageminnesotahockey.com/a ... adtrf.html
MNHockey_6

Post by MNHockey_6 »

no97 wrote:
MNHockey_6 wrote:I still think everyone who doesn't list the little Ralph in TRF is either crazy or they have never been there. As far as best tradition and stuff like that Roseau is definitely up there.
I have said that TRF has to be the nicest HS hockey rink in the world. Sure, there are college, minor league and NHL rinks that are nicer, but if there is a nicer rink where HS is the top level that plays there, I'd love to see it.

It's like those folks that show those multi-million dollar HS football stadiums in Texas that people flip out about. The little Ralph is the OMFG Minnesota HS hockey version of those.

http://www.vintageminnesotahockey.com/a ... adtrf.html
Sorry I wasn't quoting you to disagree with you. I was quoting you to show that I agreed with you.
abc123

rink

Post by abc123 »

I think the East Grand Forks Civic Center is a great old barn. Locker rooms are a bit to be desired but it's cool to walk up the stairs and step on the rink.. and the place is rocking with a great atmosphere during the Section 8 tournament.
Rkhockey_7

Post by Rkhockey_7 »

EGF's rink really?.....They might not even make the top three rinks in Section 8
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

1 Roseau Memorial
2 Hibbing Memorial
3 Grand Rapids IRA
4 Moorhead
5 Bronoc Arena
6 St Cloud MAC
7 BIG Bloomington
8 Snake Pit Greenwa
9 Hallock
10 Nymore Gardens Bemidji
Survey

Post by Survey »

My Top 5 - Either played in them or watched a game

1. BIG - Classic
2. Northfield - atmosphere is insane for both HS and College Games
3. Braemar - Classic
4. Richfield - Classic
5. Roseau - Classic
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

My top 5 (that I've been to):

1. Eveleth Hippodrome
2. Braemar Arena
3. Hibbing Memorial
4. Burnsville Arena
5. Aldrich Arena
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Cdale wrote:
Green and White Fan wrote:Have to go with Roseau's Memorial. From the museum type atmosphere of the warming area, complete with trophies and pictures of all the greats who once laced them up for Roseau, to the arena area adorned with the many banners. I can't imagine a more historical place, with as rich of a hockey tradition.
Agree. Best rink could have many answers. Best facility or best history or best over all combo platter??
I'd go with Braemar & Roseau. Love the pics of Broten(s) and such. I imagine the wall of fame has been updated with a pic of Byufglen (sp?) and Lord Stanleys Cup! Still can't believe the Cup made it to Roseau. Broten should have done it too.
He did... 1995 - New Jersey Devils

Roseau Memorial
Grand Rapids IRA
Hibbing
New Hope
Braemar
BIG
Little Ralph TRF
celly93

Post by celly93 »

if i remember right he won it but spent his day with it somewhere else
Bronc

Post by Bronc »

muckandgrind wrote:My top 5 (that I've been to):

1. Eveleth Hippodrome
2. Braemar Arena
3. Hibbing Memorial
4. Burnsville Arena
5. Aldrich Arena
Crookston's new arena is very nice.
mnhockeynemn

Post by mnhockeynemn »

Top 3 I Falls Bronco Eveleth Hippodrome Those two for all titles and early hockey trophy's, posters, past hockey legends. And Hibbing for tourneys and section playoffs.
Northern Minnesota, Now that's real Hockey!
outside_observer

Post by outside_observer »

The St Paul Civic center.
Home of all MN Hockey.
viewfromthetop

Post by viewfromthetop »

Been to most of the rinks mentioned. Although there are a lot of great memories and stories to tell, as a visitor we do not get to know all of them and did not get to see all the players that went through. Instead we look at the trophies on the wall, the pictures, and talk to the oldtimers that can recall the names and stories that go along with the pictures. In Thief River Falls we can do that and watch a game in comfort and as I get older that comfort is worth something. My vote goes to the nicest HS school rink in the world. The Little Ralph
toddy101

Post by toddy101 »

The Ralph is nice if you like empty seating and absolutely no atmosphere.
TheClipper

Post by TheClipper »

Best high school rinks in America? Eveleth Hippodrome and Hibbing memorial. Icons of an era, a sport, and a way of life. Buildings haunted by a million positive ghosts.