HighSchoolHockeyForums.com
The Largest Prep Hockey Message Board Community on the Web
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAHL expansion... spreading talent thin?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> Junior Hockey Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JSR



Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1667

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: NAHL expansion... spreading talent thin? Reply with quote

I was talking to an NAHL coach and we were speaking about the expanison of teams and what he thought. He actually thought this was a great thind for the skaters as he felt the talent is growing and the talent pool of skaters from all over the place would be able to keep a good product overall on the ice. However he also said that on the same token there was not even close to enough quality goalies and the goalie talent is not there to support the expansion. He said to expect more goals to be scored overall this year as goalies who do not belong make starts in the league and also expect to see alot of trades this year involving the goaltender position. Just some interesting insight I thought.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fluery



Joined: 23 Sep 2009
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Goalies and available talent Reply with quote

I disagree. I feel that there are a lot of coaches who do not klnow how to select a goalie. Some picks I have seen are very questionable. I have seen family freinds kids selected, board members kid and my favorite one is "He played for _____, a AAA team he has to be good. Fact is most of the time a AAA tendy hides behind a good AAA team and never gets truly tested. Early Tenders and Drafts are made just for those same reasons and many times don't work out and are a waste use. Get those kids in early this year and take a look at them. Have them practice with your team, see what they can do.

Hey coaches, if you are not happy look some more. There are a few kids you all passed on now playing Tier III. Here is where some are at right now... Cleveland, Rochester, Granite City, Pittsburg to name a few.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Marty McSorely



Joined: 27 Sep 2007
Posts: 284

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluery.....I totally agree the vast majority of coaches don't know Jack when it comes to tending. I'd like to add fans/parents to that too......

Recently I was listening to a D'dad talk about the soft goal the goalie should have had....he failed to mention that the D'man's complete failure lead to the shot to start with. Maybe the goalie was in utter shock that a Junior League defenseman blew a Pee Wee level coverage Laughing

There are plenty of solid goalies out there. Places that have a ligit goalie coach are miles ahead.....and other bury their heads in the sand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JSR



Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1667

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: NAHL expansion... spreading talent thin? Reply with quote

JSR wrote:
I was talking to an NAHL coach and we were speaking about the expanison of teams and what he thought. He actually thought this was a great thind for the skaters as he felt the talent is growing and the talent pool of skaters from all over the place would be able to keep a good product overall on the ice. However he also said that on the same token there was not even close to enough quality goalies and the goalie talent is not there to support the expansion. He said to expect more goals to be scored overall this year as goalies who do not belong make starts in the league and also expect to see alot of trades this year involving the goaltender position. Just some interesting insight I thought.


To be fair, the coach in question wasn't the head coach he was actually the goalie coach and is considered to be arguably the best goalie coach in the entire NAHL. Just sayin.... Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fluery



Joined: 23 Sep 2009
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Goalie talent in the NA Reply with quote

I hope he wasn't concerned of his own selections! There is alot of talent out there, it just needs to be located. Most teams have these tryouts that basically any kid can attend. The kids/families usually select them based on location, coach, reputation, etc. The NA teams need to be more selective on who they invite. Don't always assume that AAA or Mn HS is your best route because it isn't. Where they played does not mean as much as how they can play. The Blues selected their average returning kid from last year, another relatively unknown from MN. and here is a good one... The 2nd goalie of the 2nd team at Shattuck. Why? Do some research and you'll figure it out. Janesville tendered and drafted 2 kids from WI, but found a better starter in a kid that played Tier III for 2 years and has probably been overlooked way too long. Again, do some research and figure out why the Janesville picks were made. Anybody can back stop the best HS team in the state. Anyways, the point I am trying to make is, the goalie position is the most important position on the ice. Teams need to put more effort into finding the talent.

Talent isn't always where the money took the kids, many times the true talent is where one would not think to look. The interent is there, do the research. Check the competition, is the team killing everyone or is thier goalie really winning games? I'll say it again, if your not happy with your choices go look around at other levels and leauges, they are out there!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
interestedbystander



Joined: 19 Sep 2010
Posts: 87

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entitled to your opinion

Last edited by interestedbystander on Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JSR



Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1667

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Goalie talent in the NA Reply with quote

Fluery wrote:
I hope he wasn't concerned of his own selections! There is alot of talent out there, it just needs to be located. Most teams have these tryouts that basically any kid can attend. The kids/families usually select them based on location, coach, reputation, etc. The NA teams need to be more selective on who they invite. Don't always assume that AAA or Mn HS is your best route because it isn't. Where they played does not mean as much as how they can play. The Blues selected their average returning kid from last year, another relatively unknown from MN. and here is a good one... The 2nd goalie of the 2nd team at Shattuck. Why? Do some research and you'll figure it out. Janesville tendered and drafted 2 kids from WI, but found a better starter in a kid that played Tier III for 2 years and has probably been overlooked way too long. Again, do some research and figure out why the Janesville picks were made. Anybody can back stop the best HS team in the state. Anyways, the point I am trying to make is, the goalie position is the most important position on the ice. Teams need to put more effort into finding the talent.

Talent isn't always where the money took the kids, many times the true talent is where one would not think to look. The interent is there, do the research. Check the competition, is the team killing everyone or is thier goalie really winning games? I'll say it again, if your not happy with your choices go look around at other levels and leauges, they are out there!


In regards to the Janesville Jets. Tony Kujava is the best goalie with the highest upside on that team. The reason he's not starting is not because of ability. I'll leave that at that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fluery



Joined: 23 Sep 2009
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSR,
Since you named names, VERY OVER-RATED.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JSR



Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1667

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluery wrote:
JSR,
Since you named names, VERY OVER-RATED.


Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion. Obviously time will tell.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Reggie



Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 864
Location: Northwoods

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a good move.. talant is already watered down in the NA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PuckU126



Joined: 08 Feb 2005
Posts: 3769
Location: Minnesota

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No harm done if they do. IMO
_________________
The Puck
LGW
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Fluery



Joined: 23 Sep 2009
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Goalie talent in the NA Reply with quote

Fluery wrote:
I hope he wasn't concerned of his own selections! There is alot of talent out there, it just needs to be located. Most teams have these tryouts that basically any kid can attend. The kids/families usually select them based on location, coach, reputation, etc. The NA teams need to be more selective on who they invite. Don't always assume that AAA or Mn HS is your best route because it isn't. Where they played does not mean as much as how they can play. The Blues selected their average returning kid from last year, another relatively unknown from MN. and here is a good one... The 2nd goalie of the 2nd team at Shattuck. Why? Do some research and you'll figure it out. Janesville tendered and drafted 2 kids from WI, but found a better starter in a kid that played Tier III for 2 years and has probably been overlooked way too long. Again, do some research and figure out why the Janesville picks were made. Anybody can back stop the best HS team in the state. Anyways, the point I am trying to make is, the goalie position is the most important position on the ice. Teams need to put more effort into finding the talent.

Talent isn't always where the money took the kids, many times the true talent is where one would not think to look. The interent is there, do the research. Check the competition, is the team killing everyone or is thier goalie really winning games? I'll say it again, if your not happy with your choices go look around at other levels and leauges, they are out there!


Well here you go. This absolutely backs up my claim of the Springfield goalie selections.

http://www.glassrattler.com/coach-is-out-in-springfield-t11591.html

Wow, how many quality kids got screwed out of an opportunity? Shame, just a shame. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fluery



Joined: 23 Sep 2009
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess Mommy and Daddy had $omething to do with him playing at Shattuck also, Ya Think?

Ripped from the pages...

caligoalie

1st Hockey Game



Joined: 09 Aug 2008
Posts: 21



Blues Traded Cosset and Callahan To Fairbanks and Wolfe to STL. assuming there not going to playoffs and they are selling players,

Goalie Neal played Saturdays game, The Chicago Hitman have also hit the re-set button and are playing for next year so it was a soft team

Nevertheless....i was glad to see them sweep it did get close at the end of Saturdays game

Looks as if the Goalie Neals Parents have paid for a Goalie Coach and were both there this weekend, doesn't really matter how many coach's they run threw that kid has already peaked,his parents are just in denial, I would say after this weekend that all the rumors in Springy are correct.

Amazing just how rude both this Dr and his wife are, they must really live in a bubble
didn't even bother to thank the volunteers working the game night and to the few they talked to they believe Ivy league schools are interested in there kid and see no problem with providing money and signing the bond only if there son plays and said they paid for there son to play every 4th game.and when the Head Coach broke the agreement he was fired....and yes I stood right next to them as they said this

Have to think the NAHL will look into this


Just a Shame! Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PuckU126



Joined: 08 Feb 2005
Posts: 3769
Location: Minnesota

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluery wrote:
I would guess Mommy and Daddy had $omething to do with him playing at Shattuck also, Ya Think?

Ripped from the pages...

caligoalie

1st Hockey Game



Joined: 09 Aug 2008
Posts: 21



Blues Traded Cosset and Callahan To Fairbanks and Wolfe to STL. assuming there not going to playoffs and they are selling players,

Goalie Neal played Saturdays game, The Chicago Hitman have also hit the re-set button and are playing for next year so it was a soft team

Nevertheless....i was glad to see them sweep it did get close at the end of Saturdays game

Looks as if the Goalie Neals Parents have paid for a Goalie Coach and were both there this weekend, doesn't really matter how many coach's they run threw that kid has already peaked,his parents are just in denial, I would say after this weekend that all the rumors in Springy are correct.

Amazing just how rude both this Dr and his wife are, they must really live in a bubble
didn't even bother to thank the volunteers working the game night and to the few they talked to they believe Ivy league schools are interested in there kid and see no problem with providing money and signing the bond only if there son plays and said they paid for there son to play every 4th game.and when the Head Coach broke the agreement he was fired....and yes I stood right next to them as they said this

Have to think the NAHL will look into this


Just a Shame! Mad

Of course. Money talks.

Cool
_________________
The Puck
LGW
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> Junior Hockey Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Forum Rules/Reporting Offensive Posts (Updated 3/16/05)

National HS Hockey Rankings

State by State HS Hockey Profiles

USHighSchoolHockey.com

MidgetAAAHockey.com

Statewide High School Hockey Links (By State)

High School Hockey Team Links (By State)

Minnesota High School Hockey Scores (by team) Minnesota High School Hockey Scores (by date)

Minnesota High School Hockey Rankings (USHSHO) Minnesota High School Hockey Rankings (MinnHock)

Nationwide HS Hockey Scores

Midget AAA Hockey Scores

Midget AAA Hockey National Rankings

NCAA D1 Men's Hockey Rankings

New England Prep School Hockey Rankings

Prep School Hockey Links

Friends of USHSHO and the Forums:

MinnHock

WisconsinPrepHockey.Net

Sponsored Links:

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group