NAHL expansion... spreading talent thin?

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Post Reply
JSR
Posts: 1670
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:26 pm

NAHL expansion... spreading talent thin?

Post by JSR » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:57 pm

I was talking to an NAHL coach and we were speaking about the expanison of teams and what he thought. He actually thought this was a great thind for the skaters as he felt the talent is growing and the talent pool of skaters from all over the place would be able to keep a good product overall on the ice. However he also said that on the same token there was not even close to enough quality goalies and the goalie talent is not there to support the expansion. He said to expect more goals to be scored overall this year as goalies who do not belong make starts in the league and also expect to see alot of trades this year involving the goaltender position. Just some interesting insight I thought.

Fluery
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:50 pm

Goalies and available talent

Post by Fluery » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:17 pm

I disagree. I feel that there are a lot of coaches who do not klnow how to select a goalie. Some picks I have seen are very questionable. I have seen family freinds kids selected, board members kid and my favorite one is "He played for _____, a AAA team he has to be good. Fact is most of the time a AAA tendy hides behind a good AAA team and never gets truly tested. Early Tenders and Drafts are made just for those same reasons and many times don't work out and are a waste use. Get those kids in early this year and take a look at them. Have them practice with your team, see what they can do.

Hey coaches, if you are not happy look some more. There are a few kids you all passed on now playing Tier III. Here is where some are at right now... Cleveland, Rochester, Granite City, Pittsburg to name a few.

Marty McSorely
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:01 pm

Post by Marty McSorely » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:27 am

Fluery.....I totally agree the vast majority of coaches don't know Jack when it comes to tending. I'd like to add fans/parents to that too......

Recently I was listening to a D'dad talk about the soft goal the goalie should have had....he failed to mention that the D'man's complete failure lead to the shot to start with. Maybe the goalie was in utter shock that a Junior League defenseman blew a Pee Wee level coverage :lol:

There are plenty of solid goalies out there. Places that have a ligit goalie coach are miles ahead.....and other bury their heads in the sand.

JSR
Posts: 1670
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:26 pm

Re: NAHL expansion... spreading talent thin?

Post by JSR » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:27 pm

JSR wrote:I was talking to an NAHL coach and we were speaking about the expanison of teams and what he thought. He actually thought this was a great thind for the skaters as he felt the talent is growing and the talent pool of skaters from all over the place would be able to keep a good product overall on the ice. However he also said that on the same token there was not even close to enough quality goalies and the goalie talent is not there to support the expansion. He said to expect more goals to be scored overall this year as goalies who do not belong make starts in the league and also expect to see alot of trades this year involving the goaltender position. Just some interesting insight I thought.
To be fair, the coach in question wasn't the head coach he was actually the goalie coach and is considered to be arguably the best goalie coach in the entire NAHL. Just sayin.... :?

Fluery
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:50 pm

Goalie talent in the NA

Post by Fluery » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:12 pm

I hope he wasn't concerned of his own selections! There is alot of talent out there, it just needs to be located. Most teams have these tryouts that basically any kid can attend. The kids/families usually select them based on location, coach, reputation, etc. The NA teams need to be more selective on who they invite. Don't always assume that AAA or Mn HS is your best route because it isn't. Where they played does not mean as much as how they can play. The Blues selected their average returning kid from last year, another relatively unknown from MN. and here is a good one... The 2nd goalie of the 2nd team at Shattuck. Why? Do some research and you'll figure it out. Janesville tendered and drafted 2 kids from WI, but found a better starter in a kid that played Tier III for 2 years and has probably been overlooked way too long. Again, do some research and figure out why the Janesville picks were made. Anybody can back stop the best HS team in the state. Anyways, the point I am trying to make is, the goalie position is the most important position on the ice. Teams need to put more effort into finding the talent.

Talent isn't always where the money took the kids, many times the true talent is where one would not think to look. The interent is there, do the research. Check the competition, is the team killing everyone or is thier goalie really winning games? I'll say it again, if your not happy with your choices go look around at other levels and leauges, they are out there!

interestedbystander
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:25 pm

Post by interestedbystander » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:01 pm

Entitled to your opinion
Last edited by interestedbystander on Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JSR
Posts: 1670
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:26 pm

Re: Goalie talent in the NA

Post by JSR » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:09 pm

Fluery wrote:I hope he wasn't concerned of his own selections! There is alot of talent out there, it just needs to be located. Most teams have these tryouts that basically any kid can attend. The kids/families usually select them based on location, coach, reputation, etc. The NA teams need to be more selective on who they invite. Don't always assume that AAA or Mn HS is your best route because it isn't. Where they played does not mean as much as how they can play. The Blues selected their average returning kid from last year, another relatively unknown from MN. and here is a good one... The 2nd goalie of the 2nd team at Shattuck. Why? Do some research and you'll figure it out. Janesville tendered and drafted 2 kids from WI, but found a better starter in a kid that played Tier III for 2 years and has probably been overlooked way too long. Again, do some research and figure out why the Janesville picks were made. Anybody can back stop the best HS team in the state. Anyways, the point I am trying to make is, the goalie position is the most important position on the ice. Teams need to put more effort into finding the talent.

Talent isn't always where the money took the kids, many times the true talent is where one would not think to look. The interent is there, do the research. Check the competition, is the team killing everyone or is thier goalie really winning games? I'll say it again, if your not happy with your choices go look around at other levels and leauges, they are out there!
In regards to the Janesville Jets. Tony Kujava is the best goalie with the highest upside on that team. The reason he's not starting is not because of ability. I'll leave that at that.

Fluery
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:50 pm

Post by Fluery » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:32 pm

JSR,
Since you named names, VERY OVER-RATED.

JSR
Posts: 1670
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:26 pm

Post by JSR » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:08 pm

Fluery wrote:JSR,
Since you named names, VERY OVER-RATED.
Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion. Obviously time will tell.

Reggie
Posts: 864
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:39 am
Location: Northwoods

Post by Reggie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:17 am

not a good move.. talant is already watered down in the NA

PuckU126
Posts: 3769
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:52 am
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Post by PuckU126 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:49 am

No harm done if they do. IMO
The Puck
LGW

Fluery
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:50 pm

Re: Goalie talent in the NA

Post by Fluery » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:24 pm

Fluery wrote:I hope he wasn't concerned of his own selections! There is alot of talent out there, it just needs to be located. Most teams have these tryouts that basically any kid can attend. The kids/families usually select them based on location, coach, reputation, etc. The NA teams need to be more selective on who they invite. Don't always assume that AAA or Mn HS is your best route because it isn't. Where they played does not mean as much as how they can play. The Blues selected their average returning kid from last year, another relatively unknown from MN. and here is a good one... The 2nd goalie of the 2nd team at Shattuck. Why? Do some research and you'll figure it out. Janesville tendered and drafted 2 kids from WI, but found a better starter in a kid that played Tier III for 2 years and has probably been overlooked way too long. Again, do some research and figure out why the Janesville picks were made. Anybody can back stop the best HS team in the state. Anyways, the point I am trying to make is, the goalie position is the most important position on the ice. Teams need to put more effort into finding the talent.

Talent isn't always where the money took the kids, many times the true talent is where one would not think to look. The interent is there, do the research. Check the competition, is the team killing everyone or is thier goalie really winning games? I'll say it again, if your not happy with your choices go look around at other levels and leauges, they are out there!
Well here you go. This absolutely backs up my claim of the Springfield goalie selections.

http://www.glassrattler.com/coach-is-ou ... 11591.html

Wow, how many quality kids got screwed out of an opportunity? Shame, just a shame. :(

Fluery
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:50 pm

Post by Fluery » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:25 pm

I would guess Mommy and Daddy had $omething to do with him playing at Shattuck also, Ya Think?

Ripped from the pages...

caligoalie

1st Hockey Game



Joined: 09 Aug 2008
Posts: 21



Blues Traded Cosset and Callahan To Fairbanks and Wolfe to STL. assuming there not going to playoffs and they are selling players,

Goalie Neal played Saturdays game, The Chicago Hitman have also hit the re-set button and are playing for next year so it was a soft team

Nevertheless....i was glad to see them sweep it did get close at the end of Saturdays game

Looks as if the Goalie Neals Parents have paid for a Goalie Coach and were both there this weekend, doesn't really matter how many coach's they run threw that kid has already peaked,his parents are just in denial, I would say after this weekend that all the rumors in Springy are correct.

Amazing just how rude both this Dr and his wife are, they must really live in a bubble
didn't even bother to thank the volunteers working the game night and to the few they talked to they believe Ivy league schools are interested in there kid and see no problem with providing money and signing the bond only if there son plays and said they paid for there son to play every 4th game.and when the Head Coach broke the agreement he was fired....and yes I stood right next to them as they said this

Have to think the NAHL will look into this


Just a Shame! :x

PuckU126
Posts: 3769
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:52 am
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Post by PuckU126 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:22 pm

Fluery wrote:I would guess Mommy and Daddy had $omething to do with him playing at Shattuck also, Ya Think?

Ripped from the pages...

caligoalie

1st Hockey Game



Joined: 09 Aug 2008
Posts: 21



Blues Traded Cosset and Callahan To Fairbanks and Wolfe to STL. assuming there not going to playoffs and they are selling players,

Goalie Neal played Saturdays game, The Chicago Hitman have also hit the re-set button and are playing for next year so it was a soft team

Nevertheless....i was glad to see them sweep it did get close at the end of Saturdays game

Looks as if the Goalie Neals Parents have paid for a Goalie Coach and were both there this weekend, doesn't really matter how many coach's they run threw that kid has already peaked,his parents are just in denial, I would say after this weekend that all the rumors in Springy are correct.

Amazing just how rude both this Dr and his wife are, they must really live in a bubble
didn't even bother to thank the volunteers working the game night and to the few they talked to they believe Ivy league schools are interested in there kid and see no problem with providing money and signing the bond only if there son plays and said they paid for there son to play every 4th game.and when the Head Coach broke the agreement he was fired....and yes I stood right next to them as they said this

Have to think the NAHL will look into this


Just a Shame! :x
Of course. Money talks.

8)
The Puck
LGW

Post Reply