Messier Helmets.

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

bstarr15

Post by bstarr15 »

any more issues that people have seen with cuts occuring??
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

I've seen a few recently, but not as many as there were earlier in the season. I know that several teams have had Messier reps come and fix the helmets....
bstarr15

Post by bstarr15 »

So what was the "fix" they made to the helmet.
Have not seen as much lately either but this thread had moved way off the list of topics.
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

bstarr15 wrote:So what was the "fix" they made to the helmet.
Have not seen as much lately either but this thread had moved way off the list of topics.
I think they installed a bigger piece in the front where the cuts were originating from.
bstarr15

Post by bstarr15 »

Just got my bill from TRF ER after Ins paid some, cost $590.00.
I hope they make a fix, better yet, buy a different helmet.
Still have the 2nd ER visit bill to come. Great!!!
observer

Post by observer »

Send your bills to the manufacturer. I'm sure they have insurance so why use yours. Clearly faulty design. Certainly not your players fault he was hurt.
bstarr15

Post by bstarr15 »

Do you really think they will admit a problem, much less pay for the ER visit.
Might be opening a can of worms. But worth a try I suppose.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

bstarr15 wrote:Do you really think they will admit a problem, much less pay for the ER visit.
Might be opening a can of worms. But worth a try I suppose.
Companies routinely pay for relatively small medical bills if it helps them avoid major lawsuits!
mustangs29

Post by mustangs29 »

I headd of a story that some kid got checked in the boards recently at practice and got a cut right above his eyebrow.
mnwild5

Post by mnwild5 »

After watching this Video I hope you all run out and buy that helmet and support Mark Messier.
observer

Post by observer »

That's a dirty hit.
BOTCH #3

Post by BOTCH #3 »

I get cut across the forehead almost everytime i make a hard hit, yet there is nothing that looks to be the obvious cause in my helmet. Its been happening all season.
BOTCH #3

Post by BOTCH #3 »

GopherPuck15 wrote:I may be wrong on this, but last year at the Hockey Expo I was talking with the Messier sales rep. He said that the flexibility is to help prevent concussions by transfering the blow throughout the entire head, rather than one spot, thus making the brain not hit the skull as hard? I believe the flexibility of these helmets are supposed to be the big improvement and groundbreaking science found in trying to help make safer head wear.
Personally, when theres contact, i feel all the impact go right to my forehead, which is where the cuts keep coming. I dont know if they're necessarily "evenly transfering the blow".
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

BOTCH #3 wrote:
GopherPuck15 wrote:I may be wrong on this, but last year at the Hockey Expo I was talking with the Messier sales rep. He said that the flexibility is to help prevent concussions by transfering the blow throughout the entire head, rather than one spot, thus making the brain not hit the skull as hard? I believe the flexibility of these helmets are supposed to be the big improvement and groundbreaking science found in trying to help make safer head wear.
Personally, when theres contact, i feel all the impact go right to my forehead, which is where the cuts keep coming. I dont know if they're necessarily "evenly transfering the blow".
Usually groundbreaking technology needs multiple modifications to perform correctly. Although calculations and beta testing help develop the product; the real test is when it's distributed to the public. Opinions by the public are taken into account and changes will be planned from there. This cycle never ends.

8)
The Puck
LGW
BOTCH #3

Post by BOTCH #3 »

I believe i found the cause of the cuts on the forehead. I may be wrong, but underneaath the foam padding on the forehead there are a bunch of plastic circle type deals i believe they call the "seven technology." Based on the relation of the position of those objects in the helmets to the position of the cuts on my head, it seems to make sense. If you google "m11 seven technology" under images the second picture is what im talking about. :? [/img]
shakey

Post by shakey »

BOTCH #3 wrote:I believe i found the cause of the cuts on the forehead. I may be wrong, but underneaath the foam padding on the forehead there are a bunch of plastic circle type deals i believe they call the "seven technology." Based on the relation of the position of those objects in the helmets to the position of the cuts on my head, it seems to make sense. If you google "m11 seven technology" under images the second picture is what im talking about. :? [/img]
If that's what's causing the cuts, there's a big problem. Seven Technology is the system that supports the whole protective platform for the helmet.
JohnnyHopkins

Re: Messier Helmets.

Post by JohnnyHopkins »

power92 wrote:Anyone else having players cut by these helmets? I have seen 2 guys in less than a week be cut open (forehead area) wearing this brand.
Just wondering if it's a trend, or bad luck.
Thanks for reading.
On our team we have had at least 6 kids get stitches from these worthless helmets
DMan-dad

Post by DMan-dad »

Is the Bauer 9900 any better or worse?
DMom

Post by DMom »

DMan-dad wrote:Is the Bauer 9900 any better or worse?
My oldest wore the Messier for a year without any problems with cutting, however, it did crack straight up the back. With the flexibility and it's constant flexing it did not hold up to a year of Bantam hockey.

His next helmet was a Bauer 9900 and it has full foam covering the front and I don't know how it could cut anyone. The front edge is totally different than the messier. He took a vicious hit from behind one of the first time's he wore it, catching the edge of the boards. It made a divet in the helmet but he suffered nothing more than a sore neck. So far we/he is happy with the 9900, but he was happy with the M11 we only switched because it didn't seem to hold up.

The peewee is still wearing an M11 with no cuts, yet.
JustSaying

Messier Helmets

Post by JustSaying »

JohnnyHopkins: Which level of hockey does your team play? Perhaps there are less incidents of cuts at a younger level like PW's?
bearsfan34

Post by bearsfan34 »

Now that you guys bring up this topic. I do remember seeing a kid on EP getting cut once. He said that he just got hit into the glass, finished his shift. Went back to the bench, and there was a cut. not sure what is causing these cuts though.
NSH17

Helmet Scam

Post by NSH17 »

My son's team had the rep come out to look at the helmets.... Nothing was done even though alot of guys had cuts.
I do believe this is one of the ALL TIME biggest scams in the history of hockey.

I don't have any scientific proof but it seems like the helmets have good protection from the front and back.... but we have had multiple players get hit from the side... including my son and "see stars". This has never happened to him before when wearing other helmets. The word around the players is that they are very comfortable but it hurts when you get hit from the side. I wonder when someone will try to sue a team who forced their player to wear one of these helmets and the get a concussion after getting rung up from the side or severely cut. I guess Messier and Casscade are making money hand over fist for the sake of the kids.... After all I just heard that 7 of the 16 teams in the hockey tournament are wearing the helmets.

Hey they are a nice comfortable helmet... Let's not pretend they are any safer than some of the other really nice helmets out there.

Nice video up above too....wow.
rockcrusher

Post by rockcrusher »

My kid is a bantam and he suffered 3 different cuts wearing the M11. First one on the forehead above the eyebrow. Could have used stitches but just had it butterflied. A month later the same cut reopened, bad parenting for not having it stiched the first time. Kid thinks the scar looks 'cool'. Third cut was above the eye but BELOW the eyebrow, this one took 3 stitches. He didn't even know he was cut until after the game when he was drying off with a white towel after a shower. Mom was not happy. How do you get cut under the eyebrow? His helmet fits tight, mask is not too big. This is his second M11 this season, first one didn't last the first few weeks, but the second lasted the rest of the season. Here is my opinion... Watching the state tourney the last few days, how many mouthguards did you see stuffed in the mask? How many half in the mouth being chewed on? How many flying around on the ice during play? Parents, go to the dentist or ortho and get a custom fitted mouthguard. About 70 bucks, and they hardly know they are in their mouth. I was done buying mouthguards when my kid had his braces off, and I bet some of you have spent more than that on mouthguards this season alone. That is one of the biggest investments you can make against a concussion.
Towelie

Post by Towelie »

BUMP

St Thomas kid just cutt his forehead, my my what helmet is he wearing. Great tv clip of it
Did somebody say they needed a Towel ??