Grand Rapids vs. Duluth East

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who ya got people?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:55 am

Grand Rapids
63%
Duluth East
37%

Total votes: 79

HalloweenMachine

Grand Rapids vs. Duluth East

Post by HalloweenMachine » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:55 am

Now it's ok to say who's gonna win this section 7AA battle?! Hey pucku told ya we all knew this game was coming. I hate East and I know they hate Rapids and I wouldn't have it any other way! Who ya got and why people?

PuckU126

Re: Grand Rapids vs. Duluth East

Post by PuckU126 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:20 am

HalloweenMachine wrote:Now it's ok to say who's gonna win this section 7AA battle?! Hey pucku told ya we all knew this game was coming. I hate East and I know they hate Rapids and I wouldn't have it any other way! Who ya got and why people?
Of course WE suspected these two teams would be in the finals.

Just don't make a topic that 3 weeks in advance; especially a 7AA section final. You never know what can happen.

Just keep that in mind next year...

IMO GR is a good team; however, EAST has proven themselves to be the better team.

4-2 EAST

8)
The Puck
LGW

SEMinnyHCKY

Post by SEMinnyHCKY » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:50 am

My pick of GR is more heart than head, however I do think they have an advantage in goal and that will be the difference; GR wins 3-1 with an EN. (I want to see them in St. Paul more than East - sorry Hounds fans)

hawkfan

Post by hawkfan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:35 am

saw both teams play for the first time yesterday

i have to give the edge to East
im gonna say 6-3

*edit*
but i will be cheering for the t-hawks

DEHS Dan Green

Re: Grand Rapids vs. Duluth East

Post by DEHS Dan Green » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:24 am

HalloweenMachine wrote:Now it's ok to say who's gonna win this section 7AA battle?! Hey pucku told ya we all knew this game was coming. I hate East and I know they hate Rapids and I wouldn't have it any other way! Who ya got and why people?
4-1 Hounds :D

Randolph will have them ready. He always does.
I <3 cake

State bound hounds

INDUS

EAST/RAPIDS

Post by INDUS » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:45 am

sec 7a and 7aa will have 2 new reps, HIBBING AND RAPIDS

Duluth 4

Post by Duluth 4 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:22 am

SEMinnyHCKY wrote:My pick of GR is more heart than head, however I do think they have an advantage in goal and that will be the difference; GR wins 3-1 with an EN. (I want to see them in St. Paul more than East - sorry Hounds fans)
Advantage in net? How do you figure?
Release the Hounds. Trek to the X.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:22 am

Decided to go digging through the history books...there isn't as much between these two teams as East-Cloquet, but this will be their 7th meeting in the playoffs since they were put into the same section again in the early 90s. East is 5-1 in those games, but of course Rapids won the most recent one. They met in the final in 95, 03, and 04, with East winning all three.

Hub article on the first meeting:
http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... _id=288309
And post-game interviews: http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... _id=288309

My questions:
The first time these two teams played, GR overloaded the top line. Since then, they've split that group up and gone for more balance. So, who will they put out there to try to keep East's top line in check?
For East, they may rely on the top line for a lot of scoring, but there are some pretty good players on the 2nd and 3rd lines, too...how do they match up against their counterparts?
Which version of the GR powerplay shows up; the one that shredded Cloquet on Saturday, or the one that spent half the 3rd period of the first GR-DE game one man up and couldn't score?
Will the pressure of the section final get to anyone?
Will East fans show up?

218er

Post by 218er » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:42 am

This should be a really good Match-up. I think East has the edge, but I see Rapids pulling off a victory assuming their power play is clicking and they get good goal tending. 3-2 Rapids... Two powerplay goals.

ps - I think this will be the match-up in 2012 as well.

EHSHack

Post by EHSHack » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:08 pm

SEMinnyHCKY wrote:My pick of GR is more heart than head, however I do think they have an advantage in goal and that will be the difference; GR wins 3-1 with an EN. (I want to see them in St. Paul more than East - sorry Hounds fans)
Advantage in net? :roll:
Go Hounds.

mj79

Post by mj79 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Watching east this season I will say this. Watching their first line has been well worth the price of admission. You can't coach what they have on the ice

rangefan

Post by rangefan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:46 pm

Rapids-3 w/ open netter
East-1

Hopefully we will be seeing Rapids, and Hibbing represent the IRC and section 7 down at the X

Good luck to the Thunderhawks and Jackets.
Kick some ass boys and represent the northern hockey at the X and bring home some hardware
The real March Madness is at the X

BigWorm

Post by BigWorm » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:52 pm

As deep and talented as Rapids is I still got to give the edge to East. In my opinion East is a little deeper and a little more talented. The last matchup between these two teams was a battle but if my memory is correct East was on the penalty kill for much of the third period. If East can stay out of the box, I think they have the edge here. Their first line looked completely dominant against Moore's at the Heritage the last go around. It should be a one goal game, and if Rapids can shut down the first line of East they will give East a run for their money. I think Rapids fans will be a little more lively than East's even though the game is being played in East's backyard. Although I want Rapids to come out on top my prediction is 4-3 Greyhounds, Toninato with the GWG.

pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:05 pm

BigWorm wrote:As deep and talented as Rapids is I still got to give the edge to East. In my opinion East is a little deeper and a little more talented. The last matchup between these two teams was a battle but if my memory is correct East was on the penalty kill for much of the third period. If East can stay out of the box, I think they have the edge here. Their first line looked completely dominant against Moore's at the Heritage the last go around. It should be a one goal game, and if Rapids can shut down the first line of East they will give East a run for their money. I think Rapids fans will be a little more lively than East's even though the game is being played in East's backyard. Although I want Rapids to come out on top my prediction is 4-3 Greyhounds, Toninato with the GWG.
Agree completely except, GR has a completely different set of lines now. Depth advantage may be a bit on GR's side. Curious how these new lines will match up. Now all 3 lines for GR are dangerous. Good luck to both teams. I just hope it's a nail biter.
Hunt|Fish|Hockey

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:13 pm

Expecting East to win by 4-1, 5-2.. a 3 goal game whatever the score might be

DEHS Dan Green

Post by DEHS Dan Green » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:13 pm

4-1 hounds! Home ice advantage, and lots of DE depth will win this game.
I <3 cake

State bound hounds

DEHS Dan Green

Post by DEHS Dan Green » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:40 pm

This will be such a good game!!
I <3 cake

State bound hounds

ImissMYhockey

Post by ImissMYhockey » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:45 pm

Didn't get to go to the games on Saturday. How packed was Amsoil and how big of a crowd would everyone expect for this game?

As for predictions, I'll go East 3 G Rock 2

DEHS Dan Green

Post by DEHS Dan Green » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:52 pm

ImissMYhockey wrote:Didn't get to go to the games on Saturday. How packed was Amsoil and how big of a crowd would everyone expect for this game?

Saturday, It was about 3/5's packed. Thursday, it will be completely packed.
I <3 cake

State bound hounds

CB00

Post by CB00 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:10 pm

DEHS Dan Green wrote:
ImissMYhockey wrote:Didn't get to go to the games on Saturday. How packed was Amsoil and how big of a crowd would everyone expect for this game?

Not even close to 3/5 packed. If I do my math correctly, that's 60%. I don't know what game you were at. If it was 40% that's a stretch. The bottom half was maybe 40% full and the upper deck less then 20%. I've been going to these games for the last four years and never expected to see such a small crowd. No student sections, no bands, no music, no noise (exception Sarlsand), no atmosphere. Not good.

As much as the ER fans have bitched about going to the DECC, there was always the argument of the large crowds and the best atmosphere. After last Saturday, that argument went out the window. I've been going to the St. Paul Coliseum for a long time watching the 5AA and I will take that over the Amsoil any day.

I know it's never going to be at a "neutral site", but was very disappointed. I would think it will be a good crowd on Thursday, but we will see. I thought this would be the case on Saturday with four teams represented. :?

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:11 pm

DEHS Dan Green wrote:

I don't think it will be as full as you expect.. though I would think in the neighborhood of 4500 people will show up. It will be a pro Rapids crowd for sure. There were twice as many people there by the time the Cloquet/Rapids game started as when the doubleheader started too, at least as far as the photo evidence in my shots tells me.

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:12 pm

Definitely wish the DECC had at least played canned music during warmups.. really hard to get into a hockey game during warmups when it's dead silent in the arena.. makes it sound like a practice

DEHS Dan Green

Post by DEHS Dan Green » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:17 pm

DHMN wrote:
DEHS Dan Green wrote:

I don't think it will be as full as you expect.. though I would think in the neighborhood of 4500 people will show up. It will be a pro Rapids crowd for sure. There were twice as many people there by the time the Cloquet/Rapids game started as when the doubleheader started too, at least as far as the photo evidence in my shots tells me.
It will be full.
I <3 cake

State bound hounds

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:29 pm

DHMN wrote:
DEHS Dan Green wrote:

Sounds about right. I'd say a maximum of 5,000 will show up.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

rbkhockey4life

Post by rbkhockey4life » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:09 pm

Definatley hoping more people show up for thursdays action. In my eyes saturdays games had no real atmosphere to them. It was kind of a akward feeling with no music playing and not alot of fans showing up( gotta give it to Grand rapids though they sure do love there hockey). Overall i was impressed with the new arena just for future maybe the semis could be held somewhere else and have the finals at the amsoil