VIRGINIA/HIBBING, LET'S GET IT STARTED!

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins 7A?

Virginia
44%
Hibbing
56%

Total votes: 45

pacman

Post by pacman »

rainier wrote:I see the game will be on 10/13 for TV, but does anyone know if video or audio will be streamed anywhere on the interweb? Gonna be a great game!
Isportsnorth.com will apparently have an audio stream starting at 7:15.
brett04glory

Post by brett04glory »

Pechovnik making the all star game doesnt mean much, they have 5 IRC teams to choose from for 20 players.
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

pacman wrote:
rainier wrote:I see the game will be on 10/13 for TV, but does anyone know if video or audio will be streamed anywhere on the interweb? Gonna be a great game!
iSportsNorth is not broadcasting tonight's game.
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

Over the past 3 years these two have played 8 times, and here is some of the cummulative stats:
(Note: I only went back three years because only one player on each team was involved with any games before that.)

RESULTS:
- Overall Virginia leads with a record of 5-3 and has outscored Hibbing 29-14.
- Averagewise, Virginia outscores Hibbing 3.63 to 1.75 per game.
- In Virginia, Virginia is 3-0 while outscoring Hibbing 16-2.
- In Hibbing, Hibbing is 3-0 while outscoring Virginia 11-7.
- In Duluth, Virginia is 2-0 while outscoring Hibbing 6-1.

SPECIAL TEAMS:
- Hibbing's Powerplay is at 16.7% over that span despite a 3/4 performance earlier this year. Virginia's is at 32.5%. Virginia has scored at least one powerplay goal in every game and has also scored 3 shorthanded goals.
- Virginia is averaging 12 minutes playing shorthanded in each game. Hibbing is averaging 10.
- 5-on-5, Virginia has outscored Hibbing 12-4 (13-5 including 3-on-3 and 4-on-4).
- Virginia has 13 powerplay goals and 3 shorthanded goals.
- Hibbing has 8 powerplay goals and 1 shorthanded goal.
- Virginia's penalty kill is at 83.3%, Hibbing's is at 67.5%.

SHOTS:
- Virginia has outshot Hibbing 235-213 (29.3 - 26.6 per game average).
- Hibbing is 2-0 when getting more shots on goal. Virginia is 3-1 with more shots on goal. When shots are even, Virginia is 2-0.

GOALTENDING:
- Hibbing goaltenders have a 87.6% Saves Percentage.
- Virginia goaltenders have a 93.4% Saves Percentage.
- Nathan Tromp has played in 7 of the 8 games for Hibbing. Virginia has used 3 different goaltenders over that span.

7A FINALS:
- Hibbing is 2-6 in 7A final games. This will be their 9th straight appearance in the game and after winning the first two over Hermantown and I Falls, they have lost six straight (3 to Virginia, 2 to Hermantown and one to Duluth Marshall).
- Virginia is 3-1 in the 7A finals. They have won three straight (all over Hibbing) after losing their first appearance to Eveleth-Gilbert.
- Assuming Nathan Tromp starts for Hibbing, he will be the first goaltender to start in three straight 7A final games. Virginia will be starting their 3rd different goaltender in 3 years.
- Hibbing has NEVER been the #1 seed in 7A. Virginia is 3-0 in title games as the top seed.

The recurring pattern has been a close game in Hibbing with Hibbing winning, then Virginia winning in Virginia by a much more comfortable margin, then Virginia winning in Duluth by a closer margin. We'll see if that pattern holds true this year... there are a lot of eerie similarities leading up to the final game again this year.
fromdanorth

Post by fromdanorth »

Is there a App for that? :lol:
rainier

Post by rainier »

brett04glory-Judnick is the obviously the best D in this game, but Pechovnik is obviously the 2nd best, his 32 pts are twice as much as the next Virginia D. The kid is good, not top end talent, but definitely a difference maker.
pacman

Post by pacman »

PuckRanger wrote:
pacman wrote:
There facebook page says they are...

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=348731911864
rainier

Post by rainier »

pacman wrote:
PuckRanger wrote:
pacman wrote: Isportsnorth.com will apparently have an audio stream starting at 7:15.
There facebook page says they are...

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=348731911864

That is for last year's 7A title game, it says 2010.
brett04glory

Post by brett04glory »

I do think Pechovnik is their best D but that isnt saying much. I dont see him being a difference maker against a big team. He will do his job but it isnt like Virginia is thinking " Boy we need to watch out for Pechovnik "
nickmon3

Post by nickmon3 »

5-0 Hibbing halfway through the 3rd! Great game to watch.
The fighting team has a hockey problem
nickmon3

Post by nickmon3 »

Hibbing 5
Virginia 0
Final score

Great game by the jackets! Virgina had the upper hand in the first period. They were skating harder, and taking better shots. Hibbing got a goal about halfway through the second and the score went up from there! The curse is reversed and the jackets are going to state! Good Luck!
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Congrats, Hibbing! Tromp was solid and you made the most of your chances. It was a fun game to see. But the atmosphere at the DECC used to be better.

Now go down to St Paul and do some damage.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
hawkfan

Post by hawkfan »

decent game... less than impressed with either team

Hibbing goalie made it look easy, but most good goalies do
#7 was fun to watch... very talented for a 10th grader, great hands and hockey sense

good luck in St Paul
mnhockeynemn

Post by mnhockeynemn »

Very impressed with Hibbing's play tonight and tromps stellar performance. Quite shocked with the final score. Jackets looked real good tonight. If they can continue that play come state, they are definately a force to be reckoned with. Good luck Jackets, give 7a its title back!
Northern Minnesota, Now that's real Hockey!
mitchrapp

Post by mitchrapp »

Congrats Hibbing - Virginia definitely could have been up 2 or 3-0 after 1 -but that is hockey - Hibbing scored a good first goal - then the phantom penalty - when have you seen an interference call on a defenseman in your life on a shot from the point? From the team shooting???

Anyway, as my family and I were leaving and they were handing out the 2nd place medals - I hear "virginia sucks" etc. and other words I cant post - OK - whatever - we moved on - as my family of young kids and grandparents and friends ages 75+ we have a group of hibbing kids chanting "virginia blank blank blank" all the way through the skywalk - what is wrong with you people???? You can chant hibbing rocks or is awesome and that's fine but wow what a bunch of classless idiots!!!!
Last edited by mitchrapp on Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
nickmon3

Post by nickmon3 »

mitchrapp wrote:Congrats Hibbing - Virginia definitely could have been up 2 or 3-0 after 1 -but that is hockey - Hibbing scored a good first goal - then the phantom penalty - when have you seen an interference call on a defenseman in your life on a shot from the point? From the team shooting???

Anyway, as my family and I were leaving and they were handing out the 2nd place medals - I hear "virginia sucks" etc. and other words I cant post - OK - whatever - we moved on - as my family of young kids and grandparents and friends ages 75+ we have a group of hibbing kids chanting "virginia blank blank blank" all the way through the skyway - what is wrong with you people???? You can say hibbing rocks or is awesome and that's fine but wow what a bunch of classless idiots!!!!
Were you at last years section finals??? Virginia fans were doing the same thing in case you didnt notice.
ryno44

Post by ryno44 »

mnhockeynemn wrote:Very impressed with Hibbing's play tonight and tromps stellar performance. Quite shocked with the final score. Jackets looked real good tonight. If they can continue that play come state, they are definately a force to be reckoned with. Good luck Jackets, give 7a its title back!
Tromp's break away save saved the team and gave them some energy to get moving. Thanks for the good luck and I'm sure they will do there best down there to represent 7A.

Congrations Hibbing and Good luck in St.Paul.
mitchrapp

Post by mitchrapp »

No I Didn't notice cars full of Virginia fans flipping off hibbing adults last year - sorry i missed that
ryno44

Post by ryno44 »

mitchrapp wrote:Congrats Hibbing - Virginia definitely could have been up 2 or 3-0 after 1 -but that is hockey - Hibbing scored a good first goal - then the phantom penalty - when have you seen an interference call on a defenseman in your life on a shot from the point? From the team shooting???

Anyway, as my family and I were leaving and they were handing out the 2nd place medals - I hear "virginia sucks" etc. and other words I cant post - OK - whatever - we moved on - as my family of young kids and grandparents and friends ages 75+ we have a group of hibbing kids chanting "virginia blank blank blank" all the way through the skywalk - what is wrong with you people???? You can chant hibbing rocks or is awesome and that's fine but wow what a bunch of classless idiots!!!!
I remember reading on Hockey Hub that coach Hendrickson said all they have to do is stay out of the box because Hibbing can't score 5 on 5. This was after the game against them. Hibbing had more penalties tonight and still got the shut out. Like what nickmon3 said, Virginia did the same thing last year, so take it somewhere else!

By the way, Winners turn off onto Highway 37 and losers keep going!
INDUS

VIRGINIA /HIBBING

Post by INDUS »

The Hibbing student section throwing beads and bottles on the ice have they won, pretty classless!!!!!!I hope the school Administration has a little chat on how to behave at the state tourney.
mitchrapp

Post by mitchrapp »

ryno44 wrote:

I remember reading on Hockey Hub that coach Hendrickson said all they have to do is stay out of the box because Hibbing can't score 5 on 5. This was after the game against them. Hibbing had more penalties tonight and still got the shut out. Like what nickmon3 said, Virginia did the same thing last year, so take it somewhere else!

Wow - 1 one win in 9 years and now you are winners! You obviously didn't pass 7th grade english or you could spell better - but I digress - you sound like someone who never played hockey or got cut in 10th grade!
Last edited by mitchrapp on Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
nickmon3

Post by nickmon3 »

If I remember correctly when virginis lost last year i congratulated them on the forum and then kept my mouth shut. Obviosly SOME (not all) Virginia fans on here dont know how to do that...
Last edited by nickmon3 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
pacman

Post by pacman »

I give it until noon tomorrow and this thread will be locked...Any other takers?
nickmon3

Post by nickmon3 »

mitchrapp wrote:
ryno44 wrote:

Wow - 1 one win in 9 years and now you are winners! You obviously didn't pass 7th grade english or you could spell better - but I digress - you sound like someone who never played hockey or got cut in 10th grade!
Common man dont be a sore loser. Virginia lost but they are still the winners? Ok bud whatever you say :lol:
chubbs

Post by chubbs »

Hibbing weathered the early virginia storm and that was huge for them. And killed virginias momentum. All nice goals by Hibbing. Disappointing from virginias perspective because they have to feel like if they would've capitalized on their first and early second period chances they'd be going to st paul but credit tromp and hibbings d for keeping the puck out of the net. Virginia was dead in the third also so a comeback never seemed likely. Good luck Hibbing at state. No need for the extra curricular talk about post game stuff or student sections. No one on the board wants to hear it