Grand Rapids vs. Duluth East

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who ya got people?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:55 am

Grand Rapids
63%
Duluth East
37%

Total votes: 79

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

dlhhockey wrote:Certainly the 1st line has scored the majority of the goals this year and they are the go-to guys, but as others have said that will not get you all the way through at the X.
Well you first have to GET to the X and that's what they did. I'm sure Randolph will recognize that adjustments are needed when you play 3 games in 3 days.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

dlhhockey wrote:
mulefarm wrote:
dlhhockey wrote:I hate to say it but DE is going to be one and done. When you have top players saying they didn't know how to react to the the strong GR defense for two entire periods and Randolph keeping the 1st line out for almost 5 minutes (his quote in the paper was they were out there, why not another two minutes) at the end of the game and not trusting the other 20 guys on the bench, they're destined to implode at the X. This is what happens when you make it all about #16. I love the hounds but GR was the much stronger team, changed their game plan to fit the opponent and didn't make too many mistakes until the penalties at the end.
Sounds like you wish the hounds lost? He must have done something right, because the strongest team lost in your opinion.
No, love that they won, but they could have done it earlier in the game by recognizing you can't always stay with same plan. I've had other HS coaches in the area tell me in the past they can't believe DE doesn't change up the plan when it's clearly not working until it's almost too late and that occured again last night. Certainly the 1st line has scored the majority of the goals this year and they are the go-to guys, but as others have said that will not get you all the way through at the X. While neither team really controlled the puck well, GR defense was terrific.
Geez, seems to me over the years Randolph's plan has worked pretty well. I don't know his overall record, but it's probably better than those HS coaches you are talking to.
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

Mule- He is 12-1 in Section Final games. The only loss coming in 2002. East has also never had a losing seaon under Randolph....
dlhhockey

Post by dlhhockey »

Usthockey13 wrote:Mule- He is 12-1 in Section Final games. The only loss coming in 2002. East has also never had a losing seaon under Randolph....
The question is what has happened once out of the section (you can't say last night was a great game for DE, but they got it done in end - the very end and I wouldn't give all that credit to those standing on the bench). How many tournaments could he have won if players had not bailed from the program? Unfortunately others may be leaving.
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

I dont see why people are hating on the first line. They had plenty of tv timeouts and team timeouts to keep them rested. Why would you not play your best players? Also, remind me who scored the game winner? Trevor Olson. Sure the other guys are good, but as anyone could see, they were choking. The younger guys were having trouble completing passes and keeping it in the zone. Probably just nerves and Rapids play. But to say East only relies on their first line is dumb, they are just better so why not use them?
Thats like the Twins playing the World Series Game 7 saying "Well Joe, your a pretty good catcher, but so it Drew Butera, lets see what he can do." I would take a tired Joe Mauer over a rested Butera any day.
Also, as far as the "didn't know what to do" comment, Rapids was getting a stick on most everything East shot. Its not like the kids can just say "Ok boys, no more shooting at their sticks" Rapids played a hell of a brilliant defensive game, give them credit. They were in East's face all night. Also give credit to Repensky. He did not have a great night, but he blocked some critical shots down the stretch.
East has some things to work on, but lets be real, East will be ready to play, as they were the last two years.
Lets look
Against CDH in 09 the goalie gave up 5 goals on 19 shots or something like that. East lost I believe 5-3 or something like that. So if you throw the .263 Save Percentage out the window, East probably wins that game.
Against HM- East goes up 2-0, the East player falls getting the puck in a freak incident, and the HM guy grabs the puck and scores. They then score on the next faceoff. No trip, likely East cruises to a win.

Now these arent excuses, whatever happens happens, but rather to show that saying they weren't prepared for State is dumb, because they were.
Go Hounds.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

dlhhockey wrote:
Usthockey13 wrote:Mule- He is 12-1 in Section Final games. The only loss coming in 2002. East has also never had a losing seaon under Randolph....
The question is what has happened once out of the section (you can't say last night was a great game for DE, but they got it done in end - the very end and I wouldn't give all that credit to those standing on the bench). How many tournaments could he have won if players had not bailed from the program? Unfortunately others may be leaving.
Too awhile for you to show your anti-Mike colors, but you came through just fine. Congrats, champ.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Obviously you don't like Randolph. As many years as he has coached, he has made many decisions and this can create enemies. You have your opinion, but being one of the most successful coaches in the history of Mn HS hockey pretty much speaks for itself.
The Hammer

Post by The Hammer »

norcon wrote:What a hockey game! Couple of observations - agree with them or not. Even though East didn't capitalize on their power play opportunities in the third, it wore Rapids down considerably and they weren't able to get the third line any time, which was giving East fits through the first two periods. If the third period is played five on five, different outcome.
Also, all of the television timeouts worked out great for East in the third with Randolph having his first line on the ice for at least 75% of the period :shock: . It worked tonight, but not likely to get them through the first round at the Excel. Lots of talent on the team, why not use it? Best of luck to the Hounds. Rapids, Thanks for a great season. What a pleasure it was to watch you young men play!
Norcon, as usual you are right on the mark. This hardworking, talented group from GR has been a great pleasure to watch this season. Hold your heads up guys you played your guts out. Many of you will be back for 2011-2012 and I look forward to another great season of h.s. hockey from the GR T-Hawks.
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

dlhhockey wrote:
How many games could WBL win if kids didnt go to HM. How many games could Denfeld have won if kids didn't go to Marshall. How many games could Rochesters win if kids didnt go to Lourdes. Happens all over the state man.
Once they get out? They win. Under Randolph-two State Champion-Three Second Place-Numerous Third Place and Consolation championships. More than say, Marshall, Cloquet, Central or Denfeld...
Go Hounds.
dlhhockey

Post by dlhhockey »

EHSHack wrote:
dlhhockey wrote:
How many games could WBL win if kids didnt go to HM. How many games could Denfeld have won if kids didn't go to Marshall. How many games could Rochesters win if kids didnt go to Lourdes. Happens all over the state man.
Once they get out? They win. Under Randolph-two State Champion-Three Second Place-Numerous Third Place and Consolation championships. More than say, Marshall, Cloquet, Central or Denfeld...
You've not take the context of my comments correctly, but thanks for the education. It's also apparent you don't know the details of the day to day operation in the program. No one has been a bigger Randolph supporter over the years than me. Much of his success however is the talent he gets (and yes a good program attracts good talent), or he has brought in. My only beef is as a leader not recognizing when the game plan needs to be changed, and then berating them and working them down to a pulp when they lose a game following that established plan. The 1st line is one of the most talented in the state, though only two of them could carry another line effectively. And Olsen is great and will be better when he leaves. It is a fantastic team, but to know how much better they could be if he'd actually talk to most of the players and give a little direction is where the program falters and where I get discouraged. Enough said, go hounds, I hope they get it done.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Norcon, as usual you are right on the mark. This hardworking, talented group from GR has been a great pleasure to watch this season. Hold your heads up guys you played your guts out. Many of you will be back for 2011-2012 and I look forward to another great season of h.s. hockey from the GR T-Hawks.
My heart goes out to the Senior boys of the team thanks for making 2010-2011 special for G-ROCK you were fun to watch!! We love you guys and your effort, it was outstanding. Next year be 2 goals better than East!!
mj79

Post by mj79 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
My heart goes out to the Senior boys of the team thanks for making 2010-2011 special for G-ROCK you were fun to watch!! We love you guys and your effort, it was outstanding. Next year be 2 goals better than East!!
And my heart goes out to the East Seniors of Last year .. After a tough season, and handling Hill Murray in the 1/4s going up by 2 then going down by one in 2 minutes later... East knows ALL to well what 2 minutes can do in a hockey game.. Happened in OT Against CEC a few yrs back as well...

That said.. GR played an Awesome game and had a great game plan, and finished with a great season.. The best part is, both teams are young and will have a TON of talent returning next year... Makes out for another good 7AA season for 2011-2012
GR3343

Post by GR3343 »

It's a shame GR lost this game. Anyone honest would admit they were the better team. GR got 0 breaks from the refs and I won't even use that as an excuse. The tying goal was not a "snipe", but rather a fortunate break. The game winner was a great play and hats off for that one. Obviously I'm a GR supporter but also a fan of sportsmanship and that is one thing I was disappointed in seeing and perhaps another reason people don't care for Randolph's antics. Teams take their cues from the top & on a big stage like this, it was very evident who the better sports were. GR continually turned their backs rather then retaliate to some of East's after the whistle antics. Randolph's constant badgering of the refs was typical but still annoying to witness.
East won the game so congratulations, however Sec 7 rep or not, I will be pulling for somone else at the State Tournament. Congratulations to GR on a great season. You deserved a better fate. You all carried yourselves with the dignity & pride that is a long standing GR tradition-from the top down.
Character is who you are when no one is watching
mj79

Post by mj79 »

GR3343 wrote:It's a shame GR lost this game. Anyone honest would admit they were the better team. GR got 0 breaks from the refs and I won't even use that as an excuse. The tying goal was not a "snipe", but rather a fortunate break. The game winner was a great play and hats off for that one. Obviously I'm a GR supporter but also a fan of sportsmanship and that is one thing I was disappointed in seeing and perhaps another reason people don't care for Randolph's antics. Teams take their cues from the top & on a big stage like this, it was very evident who the better sports were. GR continually turned their backs rather then retaliate to some of East's after the whistle antics. Randolph's constant badgering of the refs was typical but still annoying to witness.
East won the game so congratulations, however Sec 7 rep or not, I will be pulling for somone else at the State Tournament. Congratulations to GR on a great season. You deserved a better fate. You all carried yourselves with the dignity & pride that is a long standing GR tradition-from the top down.
Holy crap. What's with you rapids fans? U make it sound as if someones life was dependent on this game or that there was more to the loss than just a loss. Am I missing something here or are you all being really dramatic??
rbkhockey4life

Post by rbkhockey4life »

Holy crap. What's with you rapids fans? U make it sound as if someones life was dependent on this game or that there was more to the loss than just a loss. Am I missing something here or are you all being really dramatic??[/quote]

MJ thank you for saying that it was really just a huge compliment to rapids! Shows right there this game meant more to the rapids community. I myself have never seen a community come together like that for a section final the line of traffic heading down highway 2 to rapids was unreal. Hats off to the players for putting on one hell of a show and season for us to enjoy. Anyone else almost feel as if it was rapids own barn with the amount of orange there?
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

GR3343 wrote:It's a shame GR lost this game.
Not to East fans.
Anyone honest would admit they were the better team.
Good one! So, if you don't think Rapids wasn't the better team, you're being dishonest? That how it works? Rapids played better for the most part, tonight. That's all. But they didn't convert that Better Play to More Goals, did they?
GR got 0 breaks from the refs and I won't even use that as an excuse.
But you just tried to. Otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it.
The tying goal was not a "snipe", but rather a fortunate break.
It was a heck of a nice wrist shot from what some of us saw.

The game winner was a great play and hats off for that one.
Gee. Thanks.
East won the game so congratulations, however Sec 7 rep or not, I will be pulling for somone else at the State Tournament.
I don't think East fans care who you pull for at State. Besides, I pulled for Roseau when they beat Rapids in the '07 title game and used to always root for Greenway when they played Rapids, so I can't say much. It happens :mrgreen:
Congratulations to GR on a great season. You deserved a better fate.
Matter of opinion.

You all carried yourselves with the dignity & pride that is a long standing GR tradition-from the top down.
Too bad that dignity didn't trickle from the "top down" to you.
Egomaniac since 2006
mj79

Post by mj79 »

Yet another pretty classic response post ;)
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

GR3343 wrote:It's a shame GR lost this game. Anyone honest would admit they were the better team. GR got 0 breaks from the refs and I won't even use that as an excuse. The tying goal was not a "snipe", but rather a fortunate break. The game winner was a great play and hats off for that one. Obviously I'm a GR supporter but also a fan of sportsmanship and that is one thing I was disappointed in seeing and perhaps another reason people don't care for Randolph's antics. Teams take their cues from the top & on a big stage like this, it was very evident who the better sports were. GR continually turned their backs rather then retaliate to some of East's after the whistle antics. Randolph's constant badgering of the refs was typical but still annoying to witness.
Fortunate break? It was a wicked wrister through 3 defensemen top cheddar. Absolutely a snipe.[/u][/i]
Go Hounds.
mj79

Post by mj79 »

rbkhockey4life wrote:Holy crap. What's with you rapids fans? U make it sound as if someones life was dependent on this game or that there was more to the loss than just a loss. Am I missing something here or are you all being really dramatic??
MJ thank you for saying that it was really just a huge compliment to rapids! Shows right there this game meant more to the rapids community. I myself have never seen a community come together like that for a section final the line of traffic heading down highway 2 to rapids was unreal. Hats off to the players for putting on one hell of a show and season for us to enjoy. Anyone else almost feel as if it was rapids own barn with the amount of orange there?[/quote]

It wasnt meant to be a compliment or a diss. More of an annoyance actually. It makes it look like grand rapids could be the next site for MTVs real world with all the drama going on here
GR3343

Post by GR3343 »

East, spoken like a guy that runs a high school hockey forum board. Sorry for offering an honest opinion. Or are those reserved for those that agree with your viewpoint?
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

GR3343 wrote:East, spoken like a guy that runs a high school hockey forum board. Sorry for offering an honest opinion. Or are those reserved for those that agree with your viewpoint?
No, I entitled you to your opinion, and then I countered it with a contrary opinion. As you already had. I just thought it was funny how you tried to present it as being so thoughtful yet it was slanted all the way. Those Pumpkin Machine sunglasses must be a pain to wear when they never come off, eh? :)

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

GR3343 wrote:East, spoken like a guy that runs a high school hockey forum board. Sorry for offering an honest opinion. Or are those reserved for those that agree with your viewpoint?
Stop being a sore loser.
Go Hounds.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

EHSHack wrote:
Stop being a sore loser.
He's not a sore loser. Not in his eyes. He's just a....um....let's see....a supporter of a classy team who doesn't think East has any class.

Maybe I should use the word "character" in my sig line.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

An honest bias opinion?
GR3343

Post by GR3343 »

Definitely not a sore loser - bummed for the loss and sore about that? Absolutely. Thanks for the grace Grand Pooba. It was a response from the heart. My "pumpkin" colored glasses will remain firmly in place as I am sure your "greyhound" gogs will blind you forever.