Tim Sager, Coach of the Year

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

The Gumper

Tim Sager, Coach of the Year

Post by The Gumper » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:16 am

"SAINT PAUL/MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. – The Minnesota Minute Men announced today that... Tim Sager (White Bear Lake High School) received The John Mariucci Award, given to the Class A and Class AA high school coaches of the year."

Not bad for a coach who, just two short years ago, was the subject of a gutless, anonymous, recall petition. That failed.

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/03/14/11/ ... eedID=3697

Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:04 am

Two years ago???

Heck, we had him rope-a-doping and at a 9-count last spring!!!! The pine box was all stained, and ready for delivery.. Because of this, I believe in the meaning of Easter.

Lot of similarities to how Brett Favre came into Minnesota, led the team to the 2009 NFC Championship, got Brad Childress a contract extension, only to have Childress fired in 2010.

I am giving Wahlin, Jansen, Birkinbine and myself, Matt Greer the credit...

In all seriousness.... Congrats, Ted. I am happy you won the award.

Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:11 am

Goldfishdude wrote:Two years ago???

Heck, we had him rope-a-doping and at a 9-count last spring!!!! The pine box was all stained, and ready for delivery.. Because of this, I believe in the meaning of Easter.

Lot of similarities to how Brett Favre came into Minnesota, led the team to the 2009 NFC Championship, got Brad Childress a contract extension, only to have Childress fired in 2010.

So you are saying the Pioneers have a chance to win it all next year then. :wink:

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:44 am

It had to be the teeth. :wink:

Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:50 am

Pioneerprideguy wrote:

So you are saying the Pioneers have a chance to win it all next year then. :wink:
It will be a moral victory if WBL is within 3 goals... PPG.. :oops:

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:23 am

Sager being named Coach of the Year besmirches this award. Might as well hand the best coach a pack of Tic Tacs and a free car wash in the future.

Great choice MM... :roll:

Sager better dedicate the award to his Assistant Coaches and the players; he did not earn it.

8)
The Puck
LGW

Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:27 am

Goldfishdude wrote:
Pioneerprideguy wrote:

It will be a moral victory if WBL is within 3 goals... PPG.. :oops:
Last time I heard a prediction like that it resulted in quite a celebration from the WBL faithful.

stpaul

Coaches of the Year

Post by stpaul » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:49 am

The above posts are just more evidence of what a tough job it is to be a high school coach. WBL had a great year. Congratulations to Coaches Sager, Plante and Decenzo for their awards.

southernmnscout

Re: Coaches of the Year

Post by southernmnscout » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:06 pm

stpaul wrote:The above posts are just more evidence of what a tough job it is to be a high school coach. WBL had a great year. Congratulations to Coaches Sager, Plante and Decenzo for their awards.
AMEN to that stpaul! Coach Sager did a great job with the group he had this year. This is not an all time award, it is the coach of the year! I am not a Sager fan and have never talked to him personally in my life, but he did a good job with the group he had this year.

I have all the respect in the world for the coaches these days, especially the coaches in the high profile programs.

wblhockeyfan8
Location: White Bear Lake, MN. Front row of the student section.

Post by wblhockeyfan8 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:40 am

You only wish you were as beautiful of a man as Matt Greer! :lol:

Seriously, most of the game is spent being forced to listen to the girls in the student section talk about him! :lol:
Always celly hard.

FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:37 am

I like the statement he made at the State Banquet. "It's nice to see an all public school state tournament". Great jab! :lol:

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:52 pm

FREDFLINTSTONE wrote:I like the statement he made at the State Banquet. "It's nice to see an all public school state tournament". Great jab! :lol:
He loses all credibility with a statement like this. And to think I was going to congratulate him and compliment him on his hair style that finally gets him into the 21st century.

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:56 pm

Zamman wrote:He loses all credibility with a statement like this.
IMO he lacked credibility before he made this statement.. :?

8)
The Puck
LGW

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:18 am

I have to disagree. I am not a huge fan of WBL, but when AHA played them he seemed like an OK coach.

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:36 pm

Zamman wrote:I have to disagree. I am not a huge fan of WBL, but when AHA played them he seemed like an OK coach.
You must have caught him on a good day. :wink:

8)
The Puck
LGW

buzzershot

Post by buzzershot » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:32 am

Ugh. Sager will never go away now. The better question is why he has not done this every year he has been at WBL with more talented teams. Reason: Greer and Anderson! Congrats to this years players for an awesome season!

stpaul

WBL

Post by stpaul » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:50 pm

From the 'be careful what you wish for' department: Is there an obvious and better replacement ?

PuckU126

Re: WBL

Post by PuckU126 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:15 pm

stpaul wrote:From the 'be careful what you wish for' department: Is there an obvious and better replacement ?
Of course!

Goldfishdude Image

8)
The Puck
LGW

The Gumper

Post by The Gumper » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:15 pm

buzzershot wrote:Ugh. Sager will never go away now.
Lucia got a contract extension after missing the Final Five for the third straight year and the NCAA tourney for the second straight year. I'm thinking Sager, after (1.) winning the SEC, (2.) knocking out Stillwater and #1 Hill-Murray en route to a section title, and (3.) picking up the Coach of the Year award, can probably pick his own retirement date from WBL now.

Drop the last letter from Sager and you have.... sage.

:wink:

Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:49 pm

PuckU126 wrote:
stpaul wrote:From the 'be careful what you wish for' department: Is there an obvious and better replacement ?
Of course!

Goldfishdude Image

8)
The ol' saying, Puckie is "You're either on something, or you're on to something."

And YES... most of the youth coaches have rallied to have Charlie Basco, a WBL native and asst. Cretin coach, to take the job. I believe Basco was in the mix before Sager was hired.

The past couple years, Sager had tried to go behind the backs of some of the WBL youth coaches to get them relieved of their coaching duties, which had rattled MANY cages. There was no other reasons to get them fired other than the fact that Sager knew these coaches wanted him replaced.

It was brought to my attention that Sager was completely different to these coaches this year, in a positive manner, and they were appreciative.

However, when Goldfishdude was sitting in Goldfishdude's car today waiting to pick up Goldfishdude's son, Coach Sager walked right by the car, and looked right at Goldfishdude, and turned away and did even say or wave "HI"...

Gee, I am kinda hurt.

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Goldfishdude wrote:The ol' saying, Puckie is "You're either on something, or you're on to something."

And YES... most of the youth coaches have rallied to have Charlie Basco, a WBL native and asst. Cretin coach, to take the job. I believe Basco was in the mix before Sager was hired.

The past couple years, Sager had tried to go behind the backs of some of the WBL youth coaches to get them relieved of their coaching duties, which had rattled MANY cages. There was no other reasons to get them fired other than the fact that Sager knew these coaches wanted him replaced.

It was brought to my attention that Sager was completely different to these coaches this year, in a positive manner, and they were appreciative.

However, when Goldfishdude was sitting in Goldfishdude's car today waiting to pick up Goldfishdude's son, Coach Sager walked right by the car, and looked right at Goldfishdude, and turned away and did even say or wave "HI"...

Gee, I am kinda hurt.
Hence the Image

8)
The Puck
LGW

Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:38 pm

Puckie... yyyeeepppppppppp!! I caught your drift... I just couldn't boldface your smiley??

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:03 pm

Goldfishdude wrote:Puckie... yyyeeepppppppppp!! I caught your drift... I just couldn't boldface your smiley??
But IMHO, he needs to go to bring stability back to the entire program.

Yes, he was named Coach of the Year; however, he has his team and assistant coaches to thank for that.

8)
The Puck
LGW

Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:11 pm

We will see what type of coaching job he will do next year when he has to replace Wahlin, Birkinbine and Jansen.

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:34 pm

Goldfishdude wrote:We will see what type of coaching job he will do next year when he has to replace Wahlin, Birkinbine and Jansen.
Not looking good. :cry:

They were WBL's core.

8)
The Puck
LGW