Adv 16 tryout results

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Hockeydad1893

Post by Hockeydad1893 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:15 pm

hockeyfan893 wrote:I'd have to say I think red team looks strong too, especially on defense. Both national alternate goalies as well.

Pretty much balanced teams I'd have to say, interesting how it will play out.
This makes me ponder something. Do either of the Eden Prairie goalies even have a chance of making the national team because they don't have such an impressive resume as the others?

hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:20 pm

[quote="Hockeydad1893"][quote="hockeyfan893"]I'd have to say I think red team looks strong too, especially on defense. Both national alternate goalies as well.

Pretty much balanced teams I'd have to say, interesting how it will play out.[/quote]
This makes me ponder something. Do either of the Eden Prairie goalies even have a chance of making the national team because they don't have such an impressive resume as the others?[/quote]

I have a guestimate of the national selects, I'll post it after we found out and see how accurate I was :)

Hockeydad1893

Post by Hockeydad1893 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:23 pm

hockeyfan893 wrote:
Hockeydad1893 wrote:
hockeyfan893 wrote:I'd have to say I think red team looks strong too, especially on defense. Both national alternate goalies as well.

Pretty much balanced teams I'd have to say, interesting how it will play out.
This makes me ponder something. Do either of the Eden Prairie goalies even have a chance of making the national team because they don't have such an impressive resume as the others?
I have a guestimate of the national selects, I'll post it after we found out and see how accurate I was :)
Well where's the fun in that? Let's see them now so we make sure you don't cheat! ;)

hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:59 pm

I'll send you a PM. I don't want to psyche any of the kids out who might happen to be reading the forum. Best to keep that stuff to a minimum in my opinion =)

Hockeydad1893

Post by Hockeydad1893 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:03 am

hockeyfan893 wrote:I'll send you a PM. I don't want to psyche any of the kids out who might happen to be reading the forum. Best to keep that stuff to a minimum in my opinion =)
Good call, wouldn't want one of your picks to fall under the pressure :P

cooper26

Post by cooper26 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:25 am

Hockeydad1893 wrote:
hockeyfan893 wrote:I'll send you a PM. I don't want to psyche any of the kids out who might happen to be reading the forum. Best to keep that stuff to a minimum in my opinion =)
It IS a good call. Kids are aware of all the perceived or real political crap that goes on too. It's pretty discouraging to think that it might be over before it starts. And it's not a "politically correct" attitude we're talking about here. And it's not coddling kids. It's just common courtesy.

interestedbystander

Post by interestedbystander » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:45 am

cooper26 wrote:
Hockeydad1893 wrote:
It IS a good call. Kids are aware of all the perceived or real political crap that goes on too. It's pretty discouraging to think that it might be over before it starts. And it's not a "politically correct" attitude we're talking about here. And it's not coddling kids. It's just common courtesy.
Welcome to the world of a dozen or so kids that were & are repeatedly overlooked in the first place. These guys should be happy they had 1)enough talent and hard work to get this far (the majority) or 2)enough political fire power (a few) - they know who they are and it will only gets them so far. Big deal about making predictions at this point.

deacon64

Post by deacon64 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:12 am

Well said.

How does DE get 8 kids? Their section team started 0-2.

Section 3 should have at least one kid on team. Come-on

cooper26

Post by cooper26 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:21 am

interestedbystander wrote:Welcome to the world of a dozen or so kids that were & are repeatedly overlooked in the first place. These guys should be happy they had 1)enough talent and hard work to get this far (the majority) or 2)enough political fire power (a few) - they know who they are and it will only gets them so far. Big deal about making predictions at this point.
I don't disagree with your assessment of how kids make it. The thing is, that list of a dozen changes considerably with each person who writes it. I just think predictions are counterproductive. All they do is piss people off and discourage others. With all due respect, I really don't care what anyone on this board might "predict". There is interesting conversation here - different viewpoints, different ideas, but not all that much "expertise", especially when it comes to judging kid's talent. What's the point?

Wasilla

Post by Wasilla » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:31 am

Good luck to all. May the best make it.

Bronc

Post by Bronc » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:53 am

How does DE get 8 kids? Their section team started 0-2.

Section 3 should have at least one kid on team. Come-on[/quote]

I think most would agree it is unusual to see on program like DE have 14 kids between the 16&17 last weekend (and how that many move on?), but I will give organizations/coaches like DE & Blaine, etc they drive hard to get their communities represented in the process.

It appears that some programs don't think that much of their players, community or the program (maybe a combination of the three) as they do not ensure their kids at least get a shot in the process.

That is hard, but when you see quality programs (and Top Ranked ones in HS & Bantams) with no one or few even trying out(?) let alone moving on you have to wonder have they been excluded from the process or they did not try to participate.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:40 am

Did any of you guys watch Duluth East or Blaine play this year? These teams were both loaded with younger talent that were able to get them to the tournament.

Coincidence? :-s

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:04 am

Dirty Coaches wrote:
ManBearPig wrote:I'd say Section 6 has the most depth at Forward, but other than that there isn't a whole lot there. Section 5 and Section 1 both have 2 or 3 great D-men, as well as Section 5 having arguably the best goalie in the tournament. With the 95's I see a pretty clear Top 10-15 skaters, with the rest sorted as you see fit.
I was able to catch most of the games this weekend and wanted to see the section 5 goalie(s) to see which one was the best as you described and I have to say I was disappointed. Miska posted a .872 SV% and Esko a .860 SV%. Gerdes (Eden Praire) clearly was the standout with 3 straight shutouts (31/31). The other goalie I liked was that Parker from Duluth East .912 SV%.
Gerdes had to make about six saves that wouldn't be classified as SIMPLE.

Probably could of laid a two by four across the the net and had a .750 save percentage with that team.

Highest save percentage over a game and a quarter makes the best goalie?

:lol:

blueliner5

Post by blueliner5 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:49 am

MrBoDangles wrote:Did any of you guys watch Duluth East or Blaine play this year? These teams were both loaded with younger talent that were able to get them to the tournament.

:roll:

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:55 am

blueliner5 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:Did any of you guys watch Duluth East or Blaine play this year? These teams were both loaded with younger talent that were able to get them to the tournament.

Bronc

Post by Bronc » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:16 am

MrBoDangles wrote:
blueliner5 wrote:

Duluth East top young talent were mostly Sophmores and on the HS team. A good reason why they have strong representation on the 17's for the most part.

Duluth East A Bantams were a good team, but not a great team (would be in the 16 & 15 tryouts) yet with 9 on the 16 team(?) Good for them, but others...

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:53 pm

Bronc wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
blueliner5 wrote:

Duluth East top young talent were mostly Sophmores and on the HS team. A good reason why they have strong representation on the 17's for the most part.

Duluth East A Bantams were a good team, but not a great team (would be in the 16 & 15 tryouts) yet with 9 on the 16 team(?) Good for them, but others...
Bronc,

How many of the eight 16's were Bantams? The goalie made it for very good reason..... Do you want a do over?

Bronc

Post by Bronc » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:10 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
Bronc wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
blueliner5 wrote:

Bronc,

How many of the eight 16's were Bantams? The goalie made it for very good reason..... Do you want a do over?
No do over needed, just fun discussion. Of the kids that tried out I am sure they got the bulk right.

My point was DE (and others) do a good job of getting represented.

Just suprising (as mentioned before) some organizatins/teams don't have many kids tryout let alone make it.

Hockeydad1893

Post by Hockeydad1893 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:39 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
Dirty Coaches wrote:
ManBearPig wrote:I'd say Section 6 has the most depth at Forward, but other than that there isn't a whole lot there. Section 5 and Section 1 both have 2 or 3 great D-men, as well as Section 5 having arguably the best goalie in the tournament. With the 95's I see a pretty clear Top 10-15 skaters, with the rest sorted as you see fit.
I was able to catch most of the games this weekend and wanted to see the section 5 goalie(s) to see which one was the best as you described and I have to say I was disappointed. Miska posted a .872 SV% and Esko a .860 SV%. Gerdes (Eden Praire) clearly was the standout with 3 straight shutouts (31/31). The other goalie I liked was that Parker from Duluth East .912 SV%.

Probably could of laid a two by four across the the net and had a .750 save percentage with that team.

No one said that Gerdes was the best goalie. He simply said that he played the best, and you have to give the kid some credit. Stopping 4 penalty shots and not letting one bad rebound or softy goal is pretty impressive. This weekend will be a real test for him with the teams now more balanced.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:58 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
Bronc wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
blueliner5 wrote:

Bronc,

All of the Duluth East Adv. 16s played either varsity or JV last year. Zero bantams.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:04 pm

Hockeydad1893 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
Dirty Coaches wrote:

No one said that Gerdes was the best goalie. He simply said that he played the best, and you have to give the kid some credit. Stopping 4 penalty shots and not letting one bad rebound or softy goal is pretty impressive. This weekend will be a real test for him with the teams now more balanced.
Read the other posts from Dirty Coaches. :wink:

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:23 pm

karl(east) wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
Bronc wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
blueliner5 wrote:

Bronc,

All of the Duluth East Adv. 16s played either varsity or JV last year. Zero bantams.
That was for bronc to answer... :lol:

Hockeydad1893

Post by Hockeydad1893 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:40 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
Dirty Coaches wrote:
Hockeydad1893 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
Dirty Coaches wrote:

No one said that Gerdes was the best goalie. He simply said that he played
the best, and you have to give the kid some credit. Stopping 4 penalty shots and not letting one bad rebound or softy goal is pretty impressive. This weekend will be a real test for him with the teams now more balanced.
Hey MrBoDangles: I realize you're emotionally attached to your son and feel your son was the best goalie in the tournament but really, let another kid have his time. The facts are that Gerdes numbers were better.

2X4 .75% = "COME ON MAN!" I can't wait for this weekend. I'm going to bring some extra lumber so I can lay that down in front of our net. I'm thinking of a 2x12 = that should be equal to a shutout. We'll have Dugas stay home.

All of your posts are about Gerdes (or the Miska's)..... How about the other
EP goalie kid? Seems more like you have a vested interest in Gerdes. :idea:

Your need to slam Hunter in your posts shows that...... you-Gerdes..... Dad-Gerdes....Momma Gerdes...... Family member Gerdes....Or at the minimum a very close friend........ You are one of these and have no class.

You reek of envy. :idea:
I wouldn't say he is any of those, looking at his posts I'd say he's to aware about other cities that possibly he is an ex-coach? Also all he said about Miska is that he was disappointed in his stats.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:24 pm

Hockeydad1893 wrote:Any goalies that stick out?
It all makes sense now (Eden Prarie)!!! :idea:

You obviously have selective reading. :lol:

Hockeydad1893

Post by Hockeydad1893 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:42 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
Hockeydad1893 wrote:Any goalies that stick out?
It all makes sense now (Eden Prarie)!!! :idea:

You obviously have selective reading. :lol:
I'm confused? I asked that question even before the section 6 team was posted? I just hadn't heard much about any goalies coming into the weekend except for Miska. I can assure you I'm not another hockeyMN1! :lol: