Tim Sager, Coach of the Year

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

playerplayer1

Re: WBL

Post by playerplayer1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:35 pm

Goldfishdude wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:
stpaul wrote:From the 'be careful what you wish for' department: Is there an obvious and better replacement ?
Of course!

Goldfishdude Image

8)
The ol' saying, Puckie is "You're either on something, or you're on to something."

And YES... most of the youth coaches have rallied to have Charlie Basco, a WBL native and asst. Cretin coach, to take the job. I believe Basco was in the mix before Sager was hired.

The past couple years, Sager had tried to go behind the backs of some of the WBL youth coaches to get them relieved of their coaching duties, which had rattled MANY cages. There was no other reasons to get them fired other than the fact that Sager knew these coaches wanted him replaced.

It was brought to my attention that Sager was completely different to these coaches this year, in a positive manner, and they were appreciative.

However, when Goldfishdude was sitting in Goldfishdude's car today waiting to pick up Goldfishdude's son, Coach Sager walked right by the car, and looked right at Goldfishdude, and turned away and did even say or wave "HI"...

Gee, I am kinda hurt.
Basco is a very good coach. I believe had he been hired instead of Sager the quarterfinals jinx would have been gone by now!! I remember hearing Brian Bonin say on a Gophers televised game that Basco was the best coach he ever had and was the most influencial to him growing up.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Mon May 02, 2011 8:37 pm

WBL son the SEC. And how well did the rest of the conference do in the post season?

They beat Hill (fair point). And how well did they do in the tournament?

Looks like he got an award for winning one game. Nice compliment to H-M though.

My theory: there just wasn't a lot of competition for the award this year.
It didn't take a great coach to get that EP squad into the final.

The Gumper

Post by The Gumper » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:24 am

Well, there were 21 other wins to go along with the conference championship and the win over the team that was ranked #1 at the time.

Say, that formerly #1 team wouldn't be YOUR team, would it? Couldn't tell from you post. Not at all.

:D
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:WBL son the SEC. And how well did the rest of the conference do in the post season?

They beat Hill (fair point). And how well did they do in the tournament?

Looks like he got an award for winning one game. Nice compliment to H-M though.

My theory: there just wasn't a lot of competition for the award this year.
It didn't take a great coach to get that EP squad into the final.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:00 am

Gumper:

I'm pretty up front about my loyalty, and I expect any and all to view my comments through that lens. So, what's your stake if any on the Hill - WBL divide?

The question is not Hill versus White Bear. If you want to view my comments through that prism, go ahead. But my points were more broad than that. The question is who best deserves to be Coach of the Year?

Sagar's squad had 22 wins. A nice accomplishment. How many other coaches had as many or more?

How many of those wins were over tournament-bound teams? None, except for the one in the consolation semi-finals.

A conference championship is always a feather in the cap, but the SEC was not loaded with talent last season.

I didn't say Sagar didn't deserve the award, just that the competition was slim. Give it to the Vanelli's, a couple of guys who like being big fish in a little pond? I don't think so. SO who's left?

Take away one win, and Sagar isn't even in the running.

The Gumper

Post by The Gumper » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:14 pm

C'mon. The "competition was slim" observation is just silly. It's obviously reflective of your clear bias in favor of the team that was the unfortunate and unexpected victim of Sager's team that played its best game of the season that night. It comes off as a grudging, backhanded compliment at best and as sour grapes at worst.

No one would have thought twice if the award had gone to Lee Smith at Eden Prairie for winning the state championship and finishing second in the final AA poll. Or if Mike Taylor at Eagan had won the award for getting to the AA semifinals despite finishing third in the weak South Suburban conference.

Reasonable minds can differ over whether Sager deserved the Mariucci award over Smith, Taylor, or others. But it's silly to suggest Sager only won because the field was weak.
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:Gumper:

I'm pretty up front about my loyalty, and I expect any and all to view my comments through that lens. So, what's your stake if any on the Hill - WBL divide?

The question is not Hill versus White Bear. If you want to view my comments through that prism, go ahead. But my points were more broad than that. The question is who best deserves to be Coach of the Year?

Sagar's squad had 22 wins. A nice accomplishment. How many other coaches had as many or more?

How many of those wins were over tournament-bound teams? None, except for the one in the consolation semi-finals.

A conference championship is always a feather in the cap, but the SEC was not loaded with talent last season.

I didn't say Sagar didn't deserve the award, just that the competition was slim. Give it to the Vanelli's, a couple of guys who like being big fish in a little pond? I don't think so. SO who's left?

Take away one win, and Sagar isn't even in the running.

buzzershot

Post by buzzershot » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:09 pm

I would agree Sagar would not be in the running without the teams 1st win against Hill in what 13 or 14 games. Also, I would chaulk up the success of some good players getting better to the young coaches who actually ran the 1st productive practices for a FULL season in 5+ years in White Bear Hockey, not to Sager. Before last year and the young coaching influence it was season after season of players taking a knee and having to endure hours of Sager yacking about his new system for the day and how great he was back in the day. Players would get a sore knee, would never break a sweat in 2 1/2 hours of practice and certainly never got better. Good luck to the Bears this year with a very young blue collar team. :) :)