Bantams who will contribute at HS next year

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

egf hockey1

Post by egf hockey1 »

The goalie from Grand Rapids is as polished as I have seen in a long time at the Bantam level. I was impressed just watching him in warmups. As far as a forward coming up to help next year, no one stood out to me from what I have seen. Up north, Roseau has a handful of kids that will help (Strand, Broten, Yon, Bjugstad) and Moorhead has one forward (can't think of his name off the top of my head)
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

frederick61 wrote:Here is a couple of non-Bantam A kids that could help their high school teams next year show great improvement.

North St. Paul had a 15-9-1 record last year. It was also the first year (as ninth graders) that the Oliver twins played on the Polars team. Both kids finished in the top five in point production for the Polars this past season. The Polars should improve.

South St. Paul had a senior dominated team this past season that went 16-9. But they have two kids that are coming back for the next few years that played for them this year that are outstanding. Billy Brandecker was in the Packers top five in points as a 9th grader and Jack Pietruszewski was an advanced 15 defenseman last summer and will be returning. They also will get a number of kids off the SSP/IGH bantam team that went to the regionals as peewees and bantams.

Then there is New Prague that last season went 12-11-2 and has four of their top ten point getters returning that were 9th and 10th graders last season. Their top goal score was Cody Meyer a 9th grader. They could be joined by Alex Gregor, a peewee B player for New Prague (they did not skate A level last year), who was one of the best peewee players this past season in the state.
Are you suggesting that a PWB would pas up the Bantams that are moving up next year for New Prague?? I go to NP quite a bit last winter to watch my nephews play BB1 and I caught a few of those PWB1 games and I have to tell you, I didn't see any player that stood out that much as to warrant moving them past some of those BB1. There are a couple of BB1 players that, tho small by average, are not even comparable by any PWB1 player I seen in NP. There were 2 BBI's that will really press the varsity returners next year, #'s 28 and 26 for sure!
frederick61

Post by frederick61 »

Few peewee players jump to varsity. They have to be exceptional and mature in their play. There also has to be a circumstance that allows them to move.

My take on New Prague at the high school level next year is that they will have young talent. The Trojans had a .500 record this year led in scoring by former Fire player, Cody Meyer. But he racked up only 17 points in 25 games.

It was the Trojans goaltending and defense that made the difference and gave them a winning record. They gave up around 2.70 goals a game while the offense scored an average of 3.14 goals a game (compared to Missota Conference Champion, Holy Angels, average scoring of 4.6 goals a game or Section 1A Champion, Rochester Lourdes, average of 5.8 goals a game). The Trojan defense is returning, but only two of the top six scorers New Prague scorers will return.

I saw New Prague’s Peewee B1 playing two game in the PB West Regional and was impressed with the size, skills, and maturity shown by #20 Alex Gregor. I was splitting my time watching Edina play St. Cloud in the peewee A west regional semifinals next door and watching New Prague play Wayzata Blue.

Later I determined that Alex had 11 points (eight goals) in the three regional games played at St. Cloud. His team scored 17 goals in the regional. Against a big Wayzata Blue team that eventually won the peewee B state title, he was literally being gang tackled when he was on the ice (which was most of the time as the game wore down and went into overtime) and yet he still carried the play into the Wayzata defensive zone.

He should get a look because New Prague needs a goal scorer and he could potentially provide that or he could free the returning players like Cody Meyer to provide more goal scoring. I don’t know what the junior varsity is like, but about half of the varsity forwards will graduate this year (7 out of 15 kids). So next fall, there is opportunity for Alex. The coaches will decide that.

I agree with you that if he can’t make varsity, then he is better served playing a full bantam A season if that is the direction New Prague goes.

A final note, at the White Bear Lake tourney in early February, I was watching a peewee A game when a fan came over from the sheet next door. He had been watching a Bantam A game and stood next to me watching the peewee A game. After about a half period of good action, puck movement, etc; he asked me what level of play were the teams. After I told him, he commented that the action was faster than the Bantam game next door and the kids actually passed the puck.

Do I believe a peewee A game is played at the same pace as a bantam A game? No, but a peewee A game can match the pace of a bantam B game.

I also believe at the end of the season the difference between top peewee B1 teams and most peewee A teams narrows just as I believe that the difference between peewee A teams and bantam A/B teams narrow.

Kids grow during the season, especially peewee aged kids. Peewees don't end the season in March and grow to bantam size over the summer.
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

frederick61 wrote:Few peewee players jump to varsity. They have to be exceptional and mature in their play. There also has to be a circumstance that allows them to move.

My take on New Prague at the high school level next year is that they will have young talent. The Trojans had a .500 record this year led in scoring by former Fire player, Cody Meyer. But he racked up only 17 points in 25 games.

It was the Trojans goaltending and defense that made the difference and gave them a winning record. They gave up around 2.70 goals a game while the offense scored an average of 3.14 goals a game (compared to Missota Conference Champion, Holy Angels, average scoring of 4.6 goals a game or Section 1A Champion, Rochester Lourdes, average of 5.8 goals a game). The Trojan defense is returning, but only two of the top six scorers New Prague scorers will return.

I saw New Prague’s Peewee B1 playing two game in the PB West Regional and was impressed with the size, skills, and maturity shown by #20 Alex Gregor. I was splitting my time watching Edina play St. Cloud in the peewee A west regional semifinals next door and watching New Prague play Wayzata Blue.

Later I determined that Alex had 11 points (eight goals) in the three regional games played at St. Cloud. His team scored 17 goals in the regional. Against a big Wayzata Blue team that eventually won the peewee B state title, he was literally being gang tackled when he was on the ice (which was most of the time as the game wore down and went into overtime) and yet he still carried the play into the Wayzata defensive zone.

He should get a look because New Prague needs a goal scorer and he could potentially provide that or he could free the returning players like Cody Meyer to provide more goal scoring. I don’t know what the junior varsity is like, but about half of the varsity forwards will graduate this year (7 out of 15 kids). So next fall, there is opportunity for Alex. The coaches will decide that.

I agree with you that if he can’t make varsity, then he is better served playing a full bantam A season if that is the direction New Prague goes.

A final note, at the White Bear Lake tourney in early February, I was watching a peewee A game when a fan came over from the sheet next door. He had been watching a Bantam A game and stood next to me watching the peewee A game. After about a half period of good action, puck movement, etc; he asked me what level of play were the teams. After I told him, he commented that the action was faster than the Bantam game next door and the kids actually passed the puck.

Do I believe a peewee A game is played at the same pace as a bantam A game? No, but a peewee A game can match the pace of a bantam B game.

I also believe at the end of the season the difference between top peewee B1 teams and most peewee A teams narrows just as I believe that the difference between peewee A teams and bantam A/B teams narrow.

Kids grow during the season, especially peewee aged kids. Peewees don't end the season in March and grow to bantam size over the summer.
:shock: :roll:
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Will Yon play alot of Varsity next year?
HockeyPBP4RR

Post by HockeyPBP4RR »

I was at the VFW State Tournament this past weekend in Moorhead and there were several very talented players that should have immediate impacts on their varsity squads next year. Here are a few that really stood out:

Zach Yon, F - Roseau
Alex Strand, F - Roseau
Cole Bjugson, D - Roseau
Seamus Donohue, D - Mounds View
Westin Michaud, F - Cloquet
Justin Kettula, G - Cloquet
Grant Bunker, F - Elk River
Coton Budreau, D - Elk River
Lukas Gillett, F - Rosemount
Ted Schultz, F - Rosemount
Aaron Hurdt, F - Moorhead

Hope this helps!
The Other Bash Brother

Post by The Other Bash Brother »

HockeyPBP4RR wrote:I was at the VFW State Tournament this past weekend in Moorhead and there were several very talented players that should have immediate impacts on their varsity squads next year. Here are a few that really stood out:

Zach Yon, F - Roseau
Alex Strand, F - Roseau
Cole Bjugson, D - Roseau
Justin Kettula, G - Cloquet
Lukas Gillett, F - Rosemount

Hope this helps!
Gillett from Rosemount will be a Bantam again next year along with the Peewee team that was in state. I would look for them to be real solid next season.
iwatchalotofhockey

You must have seen our All Tournament Team we picked

Post by iwatchalotofhockey »

HockeyPBP4RR wrote:
I was at the VFW State Tournament this past weekend in Moorhead and there were several very talented players that should have immediate impacts on their varsity squads next year. Here are a few that really stood out:

Zach Yon, F - Roseau
Alex Strand, F - Roseau
Cole Bjugson, D - Roseau
Justin Kettula, G - Cloquet (47 saves in win over Elk River and 57 saves in OT loss to Roseau)
Lukas Gillett, F - Rosemount (100 goals as an 8th grader)
Here is our Honorable Mention and some from that VFW tourney:

MSBN/KRWB 2011 State VFW All Tourney Honorable Mention team: Honorable Mention
G- Zach Griffin, Elk River
G- Ryan Anderson, Roseau
D- Luke Meade, Rosemount
D- Sam Hentges, Mounds View
D- Nick Niemi, Cloquet
F- Ted Schultz, Rosemount
F- Jake Jaremko, Elk River
F- Hunter Roberts, Cloquet
F- Aaron Herdt, Moorhead

Having covered the MN Hockey State Bantam Tourney here are a few more from that tourney that stood out:

F- Nic Simpson Blaine
F - Jake Ellingson Brainerd
F - Logan Rivard Brainerd
F - Cole Smith Brainerd (All 3 played on top line together but didn't fair well in tournament play going 0 - 4. But still play well together as a line)
F - Jake Wahlin Woodbury
F - Josh French Woodbury
G - Tyler Guck Woodbury (47 saves in Double OT Loss to EP)
F - Zack Hale - SLP
F -Hayden Ashworth Roch Red
D- Riese Zmolek Roch Red
D - Tommy Fjelsted, Rochester Red
F - Jack Keeley Eden Prairie
D - Colton Poolman EGF
AUstin Larson Elk River

Just a few more to ponder but all looked good at times during their respective tournament play. Just thought I would throw in my two cents.
Last edited by iwatchalotofhockey on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hockey stud99

Post by hockey stud99 »

urban iceman wrote:
frederick61 wrote:Here is a couple of non-Bantam A kids that could help their high school teams next year show great improvement.

North St. Paul had a 15-9-1 record last year. It was also the first year (as ninth graders) that the Oliver twins played on the Polars team. Both kids finished in the top five in point production for the Polars this past season. The Polars should improve.

South St. Paul had a senior dominated team this past season that went 16-9. But they have two kids that are coming back for the next few years that played for them this year that are outstanding. Billy Brandecker was in the Packers top five in points as a 9th grader and Jack Pietruszewski was an advanced 15 defenseman last summer and will be returning. They also will get a number of kids off the SSP/IGH bantam team that went to the regionals as peewees and bantams.

Then there is New Prague that last season went 12-11-2 and has four of their top ten point getters returning that were 9th and 10th graders last season. Their top goal score was Cody Meyer a 9th grader. They could be joined by Alex Gregor, a peewee B player for New Prague (they did not skate A level last year), who was one of the best peewee players this past season in the state.
Are you suggesting that a PWB would pas up the Bantams that are moving up next year for New Prague?? I go to NP quite a bit last winter to watch my nephews play BB1 and I caught a few of those PWB1 games and I have to tell you, I didn't see any player that stood out that much as to warrant moving them past some of those BB1. There are a couple of BB1 players that, tho small by average, are not even comparable by any PWB1 player I seen in NP. There were 2 BBI's that will really press the varsity returners next year, #'s 28 and 26 for sure!
How about number 14?
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Brandon Whalin is on the WBL varsity. Jake is on woodbury BA.
iwatchalotofhockey

Brandon Whalin is on the WBL varsity. Jake is on woodbury BA.
LOL my bad. Well at least I didn't call him Dino Wahlin his uncle since he was on same team as mine back in college. Sorry Jake about that faux pas.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Uncle is Dewy. Same diff.
iwatchalotofhockey

Uncle is Dewy. Same diff.
This old goalie will have to ask the other uncle then Dean to correct me next time I chat with him then. LOL Guess I have had to many pucks to the head that actually did stop in my days between the pipes to keep Dino and Dewy straight. Either way good little hockey player and look forward to calling his name over the next few years when he gets to HS.

make it a great offf season everyone!
DangleSnipeCelly3

Post by DangleSnipeCelly3 »

Ive heard that Hillman from elk river is really good? any thoughts?
blueliner5

Post by blueliner5 »

[quote="DangleSnipeCelly3"]Ive heard that Hillman from elk river is really good? any thoughts?[/quote

Now that you asked, why don't YOU tell us
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

blueliner5 wrote:
DangleSnipeCelly3 wrote:Ive heard that Hillman from elk river is really good? any thoughts?
:lol:

They'll never learn.

8)
The Puck
LGW
Ugottobekiddingme

Post by Ugottobekiddingme »

PuckU126 wrote:
blueliner5 wrote:
DangleSnipeCelly3 wrote:Ive heard that Hillman from elk river is really good? any thoughts?

They'll never learn.

8)
Please share what we all should be learning or are you besmirching hockey in general? I'm still learning "the process".... 8)
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Ugottobekiddingme wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:
blueliner5 wrote: Now that you asked, why don't YOU tell us

They'll never learn.

8)
Please share what we all should be learning or are you besmirching hockey in general? I'm still learning "the process".... 8)
He's referring to a curious phenomenon commonly seen on this board, when new posters appear on the forum with juvenile-sounding aliases and make several posts asking about a certain player (usually someone most of us haven't heard of).

Of course, only the moderators have any real way of telling if these are serious questions, or if they truly are kids trying to pump themselves up. 8) (Well, except for the especially dim ones who put their own names in their monikers.)
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

karl(east) wrote:
Ugottobekiddingme wrote:
He's referring to a curious phenomenon commonly seen on this board, when new posters appear on the forum with juvenile-sounding aliases and make several posts asking about a certain player (usually someone most of us haven't heard of).

Of course, only the moderators have any real way of telling if these are serious questions, or if they truly are kids trying to pump themselves up. 8) (Well, except for the especially dim ones who put their own names in their monikers.)
Yep, what Karl said.

And am I besmirching hockey? I'm actually offended by that false accusation!

However, I am not sure how that statement was degrading to our fine sport..? :?

Regardless I was just merely blowing the whistle on another individual tooting their own horn.

8)
The Puck
LGW
Skillz11

Post by Skillz11 »

Did my comment about goalie Quinn Huff if the Johnson/Como bantam bs get taken off here?

He's not even me ... [-X [-X [-X [-X :roll:

I mean I play for his team but i'm not him.... :roll: :roll:
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Skillz11 wrote:Did my comment about goalie Quinn Huff if the Johnson/Como bantam bs get taken off here?

He's not even me ... [-X [-X [-X [-X :roll:

I mean I play for his team but i'm not him.... :roll: :roll:
It might help to remember which thread you post these things on in the first place.

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic. ... ht=#551846
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Ugottobekiddingme wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:
blueliner5 wrote: Now that you asked, why don't YOU tell us

They'll never learn.

8)
Ugokid must be DangleSnipeCelly the 2nd.
Ugottobekiddingme

Post by Ugottobekiddingme »

MrBoDangles wrote:
Ugottobekiddingme wrote:
PuckU126 wrote: :lol:

They'll never learn.

8)
Ugokid must be DangleSnipeCelly the 2nd.
That's me....try answering the "town hall" question or was that one too difficult?
puckforlife

Post by puckforlife »

Paul Bittner(f) Crookston
Gabe HeifortG) Bemidji tho heard he has an invite to the USHL combine
The Other Bash Brother

Post by The Other Bash Brother »

puckforlife wrote:Paul Bittner(f) Crookston
Gabe HeifortG) Bemidji tho heard he has an invite to the USHL combine
Seen both, right now they are both overrated, however with work they both have great potential.