louie nanne commits to gophers

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Edgeless

Post by Edgeless » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:55 pm

old goalie85 wrote:Congrats to another Mn kid. Good job I don't care what his last name is.
It's probably 80/20 with nanne he is a D1 player but as a junior his name probably played into it.

mghockey18

Post by mghockey18 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:56 am

the kid made the under 18 team at the selects festival...i mean come on buddy give the kid some credit here. it wasn't his name...he is just a good hockey player. Unbelievable

MnMade-4-Life

Post by MnMade-4-Life » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:47 am

Edgeless wrote:
old goalie85 wrote:Congrats to another Mn kid. Good job I don't care what his last name is.
It's probably 80/20 with nanne he is a D1 player but as a junior his name probably played into it.
I watched the kid grow up in the "system," and have spent hours on the ice with him ... beyond being a talented player he is a good kid with a great ethic. I have a feeling he will work twice as heard just because he won't want people thinking his name had anything to do with it.

I'm just happy to see another Minnesota kid represent what used to be a great program in the maroon & gold. Let's hope they can start keeping guys past one year .........
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO

headsup

Post by headsup » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:31 pm

RE: "Heads up...Just 1 more comment regarding Camaratta. He is 1 heck of a player, but mirroring what Guru said regarding "ceiling out". My question is and I have always wondered this has he ever played a season where his opponents are not the same age as him? Seems to me during his youth and up he always competed at the same level, but against very talented players. Curious how he would handle opponents 2 years his age like Hudson Fasching, Vinni Lettieri etc. have had to do and essentially proved to the hockey world they belong. With his size I tend to wonder if he would be as polished. How does he match up against Louie talent wise?"

Nobody - I would totally agree with you 100%. Hence a whole new topic to discuss :)

6ix

Post by 6ix » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:23 am

Guru20 wrote:
Great signing for the Gophers. My guess is the Gophers see Nanne sticking around all 4 years, not solely playing to increase his draft stock, a skilled 3rd line guy that can fill in on the top 6 forwards if need be because of his unselfishness and making others around him better, great penalty killer, does all the little things such as blocking shots & being physical, will get his goals from smart positioning and willingness to battle around the net.
Couldn't agree more, will be a great addition to the U and will hopefully help turn them around. Congrats Louie
I have the best trophy in my case

The X

Post by The X » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:49 pm

Louie has 1 Goal and 1 Assist in 6 Elite league games according to the Hub. One thing is for sure, if he has the same character as his Grandpa Lou, he will be a great addition to the Gophers. I would not think he would come to the Gophers any earlier than 2013-14 season.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:01 pm

Howie wrote:Louie has 1 Goal and 1 Assist in 6 Elite league games according to the Hub. One thing is for sure, if he has the same character as his Grandpa Lou, he will be a great addition to the Gophers. I would not think he would come to the Gophers any earlier than 2013-14 season.
How is 6'3" 210lb Erik Baskin doing?

:?

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:51 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
Howie wrote:Louie has 1 Goal and 1 Assist in 6 Elite league games according to the Hub. One thing is for sure, if he has the same character as his Grandpa Lou, he will be a great addition to the Gophers. I would not think he would come to the Gophers any earlier than 2013-14 season.
How is 6'3" 210lb Erik Baskin doing?

:?
Nevermind, it sounds like he's going to SCSU...

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:59 pm

I'm not sure what the big deal is. Think about it. Edina kid with a family tradition at the U. I doubt there is much of a need for financial help from the program, ya know?

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:05 am

Gopher Blog wrote:I'm not sure what the big deal is. Think about it. Edina kid with a family tradition at the U. I doubt there is much of a need for financial help from the program, ya know?
You're post reveals all that is wrong with the Gopher's program.

:idea:

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:47 am

Bo Jangly Dangly -

Worry about Forest Lake, not the Gophers. Louie Nanne should be a great role type player that all teams need. Vinny Lietteri on the other hand will be a stud. Coming from the families they come from it wont surprise me to see both kids play 3-4 years for the Gophers.

Add Rau, Warning, Boyd, Marshall, Condon, Schmitt, Blake Thompson, Parenteau, Ambosz, Haula, Serratore, Isackson, Jared Larson, and Chris Student. Those are players that should play through their junior year or senior year. Thats what the Gophers need! I could see Bjugstad leaving after this year. I could see Alt and or Holl leaving before they are seniors.

This is what the Gophers need!

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:33 am

MrBoDangles wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote:I'm not sure what the big deal is. Think about it. Edina kid with a family tradition at the U. I doubt there is much of a need for financial help from the program, ya know?

Let's see... the kid was the only Minnesotan picked for the USA team that played the Ivan Hlinka tourney this summer. That's a team of the best USA kids of his age that aren't NTDP or didn't participate in Selects. I guess he must suck. :roll:

The point is when you can add a good player for your depth and have it cost you a reduced amount, it is a very good deal for your program.

Not every kid is recruited to be a top line scorer. The Gophers are closing in on landing some elite players for those roles. That's good enough for me. But if hating on the Nanne kid is your thing, have at it.

Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:40 pm

It's silly to say that the Nanne name means nothing. Everything I've ever read in the hockey "press" makes me believe that genetic pedigree means a helluva lot, at least to sports writers. (The Nannes would argue, I think, that it puts extra pressure and some negative vibe on their scene). When did a player with a father or grandfather or cousin in the NHL ~ NOT ~ get extra attention?

Not saying that's a bad thing -- they grow up not only with as much as 50% of the genes, but around a history, culture and expectation of excellence. Their genes are a known quantity, and if they show up and work hard, hell yeah they have an advantage. Is Nanne the absolute BEST Minnesota has to offer at his age? Could be, but when all else is roughly equal, who do you take? AN unknown, or a kid with pro genes?

On the more cynical side, do you think any program that takes Nanne gets a little extra public attention? Absolutely. But woe to a kid with a big name who doesn't live up to expectations down the line -- I feel terrible for those guys.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:22 pm

You also take a couple kids that have one of the more genuine men in Minnesota hockey history as their Grandfather. Also, hopefully getting Vinny brings in the Schulte kid from Minnetonka (sp?).

xy

Post by xy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:20 pm

I think there is an unstated reason people are questioning this commitment, which is unfair to Louie Nanne: people old enough to remember Marty as a player wonder just how much of a factor his dad had in Marty playing for the Gophers, and whether it's happening again. Marty certainly was not a dominant high school player, or much of a success at the U, and the belief that Lou Sr. had pressured Buetow to recruit Marty (he committed before Buetow was fired and Woog replaced him) was widespread if not universal in Minnesota hockey circles. Again, this is entirely unfair to the younger Louie, who should be judged on his own merits; all indications are that he's a talented, hardworking kid, and I hope he succeeds. But there are plenty of people out there wondering if they haven't seen this before.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:27 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:

Let's see... the kid was the only Minnesotan picked for the USA team that played the Ivan Hlinka tourney this summer. That's a team of the best USA kids of his age that aren't NTDP or didn't participate in Selects. I guess he must suck. :roll:

The point is when you can add a good player for your depth and have it cost you a reduced amount, it is a very good deal for your program.
Great pick!....... If that's what filling their roster spots is about.

I NEVER said "sucked".. He is a good high school Hockey player and I understand the possible four year idea. Do I think he was the best available option out there? No. Do I think that there seems to be some back door policy going on? Yes. Do I think they have been going the best possible route with their recruits........? Hell no!... It's obvious.

Would he have the offer if Hinkleberg was on the back his jersey? Is it about the money like you say? :shock:

I wish him the best.

Not every kid is recruited to be a top line scorer. The Gophers are closing in on landing some elite players for those roles. That's good enough for me. But if hating on the Nanne kid is your thing, have at it.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:10 am

MrBoDangles wrote:
You're post reveals all that is wrong with the Gopher's program.:
[sic] You're post reveals all that is wrong with your comprehension.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:08 am

Slap Shot wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
You're post reveals all that is wrong with the Gopher's program.:
[sic] You're post reveals all that is wrong with your comprehension.
Money > More Deserving

What more should I take from the post?

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:36 am

MrBoDangles wrote:What more should I take from the post?
I never meant to imply money makes him more deserving. Just that he likely comes with a "price" that makes adding him far more palatable because it doesn't take much away from your 18 scholarships and adds a quality player for depth at the same time.

He's not being brought in with the intention of being a top line forward. People would bitch about Lucia bringing in too many guys that didn't know how to adapt from a scorer role to a grittier role. Well, he's addressing that with a few recruits. That's why a kid like Serratore works so well for the Gophers now. He knows his role with the team (works hard, plays gritty, kills penalties, good defensive play, etc) and he excels at it. I'd be willing to bet Nanne brings the same things to the table. Which is something every team needs.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:23 pm

xy wrote:I think there is an unstated reason people are questioning this commitment, which is unfair to Louie Nanne: people old enough to remember Marty as a player wonder just how much of a factor his dad had in Marty playing for the Gophers, and whether it's happening again. Marty certainly was not a dominant high school player, or much of a success at the U, and the belief that Lou Sr. had pressured Buetow to recruit Marty (he committed before Buetow was fired and Woog replaced him) was widespread if not universal in Minnesota hockey circles. Again, this is entirely unfair to the younger Louie, who should be judged on his own merits; all indications are that he's a talented, hardworking kid, and I hope he succeeds. But there are plenty of people out there wondering if they haven't seen this before.
Marty Nanne was a regular for three years when the Gophers were annually as good as anyone in the country. He did fine.
Be kind. Rewind.

xy

Post by xy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:14 pm

Marty Nanne left during the middle of his junior year, 87-88, when they were ranked first in the country, because he was upset about his diminishing playing time. And throughout his career people questioned how much ice time he was getting and whether it was due to his name - perhaps unfairly, but I can assure you the question was being asked.

blueblood

Marty Nanne

Post by blueblood » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:59 pm

Who cares he left the U? That was almost 25 years ago and has nothing to do with his son playing for the hometown university.

Good luck to Vinny and Louie :) I've seen both play numerous occasions and I for one hope they succeed at my alma mater...

markp

Post by markp » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:17 pm

Shinbone_News wrote:It's silly to say that the Nanne name means nothing. Everything I've ever read in the hockey "press" makes me believe that genetic pedigree means a helluva lot, at least to sports writers. (The Nannes would argue, I think, that it puts extra pressure and some negative vibe on their scene). When did a player with a father or grandfather or cousin in the NHL ~ NOT ~ get extra attention?

Not saying that's a bad thing -- they grow up not only with as much as 50% of the genes, but around a history, culture and expectation of excellence. Their genes are a known quantity, and if they show up and work hard, hell yeah they have an advantage. Is Nanne the absolute BEST Minnesota has to offer at his age? Could be, but when all else is roughly equal, who do you take? AN unknown, or a kid with pro genes?

On the more cynical side, do you think any program that takes Nanne gets

little extra public attention? Absolutely. But woe to a kid with a big name who doesn't live up to expectations down the line -- I feel terrible for those guys.
Good point, look at Gretzky's kid who went to Shattucks. My son played against him and was brutal in his comments about his play. I will say this, everything I've heard about Louie is he's a great kid.

WB6162

Re: louie nanne commits to gophers

Post by WB6162 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:30 pm

wblhcky24 wrote:Louie nanne has committed to the gophers per Scott hamilton
Another political pick for the States favorite mediocre team.

Shinbone_News

Re: louie nanne commits to gophers

Post by Shinbone_News » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:48 pm

WB6162 wrote:
Another political pick for the States favorite mediocre team.
Um. You might revise -- or at least withhold -- this judgement for a few months. I'm sympathetic to your point looking back at the past five years, but this year could be different. Gophs are off to a blazing start, Rau and Bjugstad are on fire. It's actually fun to watch gopher hockey again.