What age to open enroll?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

What age is it appropriate to open enroll to other schools?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:13 pm

Squirts?
No votes
Peewees?
38%
Bantams?
25%
High School?
38%

Total votes: 8

Irish

What age to open enroll?

Post by Irish »

I hear there is some movement in the Peewee age group. No doubt parents are making the choice to move their kids into a new school district for educational purposes.

I find it interesting. It just happens that these kids will also benefit from playing on stronger teams.

I personally never thought I would see the day when parents would open enroll kids at the age of 11/12/13 to play in another city. really? :roll:

I'm sure they're doing it for education.................... :wink:
MrBoDangles

Re: What age to open enroll?

Post by MrBoDangles »

Irish wrote:I hear there is some movement in the Peewee age group. No doubt parents are making the choice to move their kids into a new school district for educational purposes.

I find it interesting. It just happens that these kids will also benefit from playing on stronger teams.

I personally never thought I would see the day when parents would open enroll kids at the age of 11/12/13 to play in another city. really? :roll:

I'm sure they're doing it for education.................... :wink:
The walls are crumbling. I've been trying to clue people in for a while now.... We're going to end up with 10 to 15 dominant programs and others are going to shut their doors.

AAA Summer parents are seeing how lacking their local associations are. :idea:

The opportunities must be fair or there will be even more of a mass exodus.

Proper fit for all winter kids?? :idea:
Yakunin

Post by Yakunin »

Edina hockey association should be embarrassed for letting this happen. They are the ones that can help put this to an end by setting an example. Shut the doors!!!
O-townClown

Re: What age to open enroll?

Post by O-townClown »

Irish wrote:I personally never thought I would see the day when parents would open enroll kids at the age of 11/12/13 to play in another city.
Did you think you'd see families move because their son showed aptitude at age 9?
Be kind. Rewind.
Irish

Post by Irish »

Interesting subject. Playing Mites and Squirts at the made is one thing because all these kids end up back in their association.

How would you feel if your son had played his entire career in one association and he's knocked off the "A" team because some one else from another city or association took their spot?
Sure this happens in high school, but Peewee's?

Are any Squirts doing the same thing?

No doubt over the next month the tryouts in Edina will be interesting. Some parents will not be happy when the final teams are picked. It will be very interesting to see how it plays out.
Some one mentioned that Edina may be looking at offering two PWA teams because of this. If so, do you offer A1 and A2 teams, or equal teams?
IcePick

Post by IcePick »

Yakunin wrote:Edina hockey association should be embarrassed for letting this happen. They are the ones that can help put this to an end by setting an example. Shut the doors!!!
Why should Edina Hockey be embarrassed? A quick internet search shows that in 2010, Edina school district had 1,166 open-enrolled students out of 8,188 total, or 14% of the total student body. There were another 252 students on the wait list. Yet, you suggest that the Edina Hockey Associaion should single out one of the 1,166 open-enrolled Edina kids and set an example by 'shutting the door' on him?! That is absurd.
South Sask Hockey

Post by South Sask Hockey »

Just an outside question, how many kids would a district like Edina have registered for squirt hockey? and how many A, B, C teams are made from these numbers? We have 120 kids registered for evaluations and the league indicated that we must make 5 "A" teams based on the number of kids registered which seems absurd, so I am curious as to how it is done in Minnesota
observer

Post by observer »

1 A team.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

South Sask Hockey wrote:Just an outside question, how many kids would a district like Edina have registered for squirt hockey? and how many A, B, C teams are made from these numbers? We have 120 kids registered for evaluations and the league indicated that we must make 5 "A" teams based on the number of kids registered which seems absurd, so I am curious as to how it is done in Minnesota
A few years ago Edina had 175 registered Pee Wees that formed 12 teams. I believe all 12 had two goalies.

That year I think it broke out like this:

1 A
2 B1
4 B2
5 C

I think their numbers have been pretty stable. Wayzata is a similar size association. Those are usually the two largest.
Be kind. Rewind.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

Sask:

In MInnesota there is upward pressure in many large associations to create more high-level teams, B1s in particular -- though with the coming experiment in AA designation, if it sticks associations like Edina and Wayzata will probably have an "AA" team and an "A" team. (Yes, it's simply redefining upwards the best groups, but it also adds another state tournament for the biggest association's A teams).

The tension is between tiering and equalizing the teams no matter what the level. Most associations and coaches still like to have players #1-16 on one team, and the rest fall into line behind so they practice and play with peers that are closest in ability. (This may become moot in an association like Edina, where there are so many A level players. Then if your dad is a former NHLer, that becomes the determining factor.)

Parents of any team less than the top seem to like equalized talent, but they shouldn't (IMO), because it so often makes for a bad mix to have player #2 on a line with player #29 and does nothing for either player.
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

O-townClown wrote:
South Sask Hockey wrote:Just an outside question, how many kids would a district like Edina have registered for squirt hockey? and how many A, B, C teams are made from these numbers? We have 120 kids registered for evaluations and the league indicated that we must make 5 "A" teams based on the number of kids registered which seems absurd, so I am curious as to how it is done in Minnesota
A few years ago Edina had 175 registered Pee Wees that formed 12 teams. I believe all 12 had two goalies.

That year I think it broke out like this:

1 A
2 B1
4 B2
5 C

I think their numbers have been pretty stable. Wayzata is a similar size association. Those are usually the two largest.
That wasprobably two years ago and we had 175 skaters with total number closer to 195 counting goalies. Four of the C teams had one goalie, one C team had two.

That same class is now bantams this year and it is looking like 9 teams, 1A, 2B1, 3B2, 3C. Players lost from both ends with some A players expected to play varsity for various high schools and a number of C players going to the recreational league or just leaving hockey (along with one B1 who made A last year leaving hockey).
goaliewithfoggedglasses

Post by goaliewithfoggedglasses »

IcePick wrote:
Yakunin wrote:Edina hockey association should be embarrassed for letting this happen. They are the ones that can help put this to an end by setting an example. Shut the doors!!!
Why should Edina Hockey be embarrassed? A quick internet search shows that in 2010, Edina school district had 1,166 open-enrolled students out of 8,188 total, or 14% of the total student body. There were another 252 students on the wait list. Yet, you suggest that the Edina Hockey Associaion should single out one of the 1,166 open-enrolled Edina kids and set an example by 'shutting the door' on him?! That is absurd.
And believe it or not the school district doesn't check with the hockey asociation before it approves an open enrollment. The option to play where you go to school is a Minnesota Hockey rule, the EHA has to approve the waiver. Give me a break.
goaliewithfoggedglasses

Post by goaliewithfoggedglasses »

Irish wrote:Some one mentioned that Edina may be looking at offering two PWA teams because of this. If so, do you offer A1 and A2 teams, or equal teams?
There won't be 2 PWA teams.
South Sask Hockey

Post by South Sask Hockey »

Thanks, that is what i figured. We are a city if 200,000 and we will have 5 "A" teams in the south zone and 4 in the north. Your levels run from Brick caliber kids to kids that will barely get to touch the puck playing against them. We have 3 tiers of hockey and apparently 60% are tier 1 level, man we are good up north LOL
McLuvin

Post by McLuvin »

It is absolutely ok to open enroll your child at any age for scholastic reasons. The disheartening reality is that many parents open enroll their child based on the parents irrational belief that their little gretzky is Division 1 or NHL bound. Most are not varsity bound. If the same effort and support were spent on academics little gretzky would be better served. One caveat that must be acknowledge though is that most of these premier hockey programs reside in districts that deliver an excellent public education (Edina, Wayzata, Eden Praire, Tonka, East, and others). But this education still must be taken advantage of and not squandered.
Pucksahater

Post by Pucksahater »

Why are all the bubble parent kids so worried about the fire players , as we have read on this board they are not the best kids and have played poor competition and only played on the fire to feed the ego of arrogant parents. So relax, let your kid earn a spot on the A team and all will be fine.
Irish

Post by Irish »

For peewee's can't Minnesota hockey just create a rule that states if you open enroll your child to another city they must play hockey with their own association?