Moundsview

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

1parent

Post by 1parent » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:18 pm

GreekChurch wrote:I only saw them play twice this past season, but saw them a half dozen times the year before, and both teams looked very simiular. They were both very solid teams, as their records from MN Hockey indicate - 2009 -10 they were 45 - 11 - 5, and this past season they were 41 - 12 - 5 That a pretty good two year run.
Very solid 2 year run! But actually this upcoming season if my math is correct would not have been the 2009-2010 it would have been 2008-2009. Is that correct. Greek any idea how that 2008-2009 bantam record was? Just curious what all the hype on this up coming season is for? I can see 2 and 3 season from now.

Tony Soprano

Post by Tony Soprano » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:57 pm

Well since the summer camps are finished, anybody know how things look for Moundsview with the change? Can they make a push for the SEC at all?

Goalie-Dad

Post by Goalie-Dad » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:02 am

The 2011-12 high school team has very strong Junior and Sophomore class. The two previous Bantam teams won each District championships. The 09-10 Bantam team lost in the Regional championship. Both 09-10 and 10-11 Bantam teams played made it to the State VFW tourney. The 10-11 team took 2nd place in the state VFW tourney. Nearly all of the talented players from these teams are staying at MV. In addition, MV senior captain was selected to play in the National Development team and HS Elite team.

GreekChurch

Post by GreekChurch » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:27 pm

1parent, MyHockey Rankings record for Moundsview A Bantams has them at 4 - 26 - 4, incomplete to be sure, but not too impressive for the 2008 - 2009 bunch - sorry for the delayed response, dozed off for a few months. :lol: [/quote]

1parent

Post by 1parent » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:36 pm

GreekChurch wrote:1parent, MyHockey Rankings record for Moundsview A Bantams has them at 4 - 26 - 4, incomplete to be sure, but not too impressive for the 2008 - 2009 bunch - sorry for the delayed response, dozed off for a few months. :lol:
[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that be this years high school group? Why the hype? Sounds like they are a year or two away if you want to base things off what they did in bantams. The thing is you can not base it off what they did in bantams. Goalie-dad, like you say they kept NEARLY not all the talent. I'm sure they lost 2-4 or more players to other schools while teams like WBL which didn't have Carney because he moved up to play varsity. Also word has it WBL added a very talented player this year that transfered in. So while MV might have beat them back then by a goal WBL added players and MV lost players.

ZachHalverson

Post by ZachHalverson » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:31 am

Anthony LaPanta all the way.

Goalie-Dad

Post by Goalie-Dad » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:37 pm

[quote="1parent"][quote="GreekChurch"]1parent, MyHockey Rankings record for Moundsview A Bantams has them at 4 - 26 - 4, incomplete to be sure, but not too impressive for the 2008 - 2009 bunch - sorry for the delayed response, dozed off for a few months. :lol: [/quote][/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that be this years high school group? Why the hype? Sounds like they are a year or two away if you want to base things off what they did in bantams. The thing is you can not base it off what they did in bantams. Goalie-dad, like you say they kept NEARLY not all the talent. I'm sure they lost 2-4 or more players to other schools while teams like WBL which didn't have Carney because he moved up to play varsity. Also word has it WBL added a very talented player this year that transfered in. So while MV might have beat them back then by a goal WBL added players and MV lost players.[/quote]

I am not suggesting that MV will make it to the state tourney. Conference titles and deep in the section are more realistic. The 2009-10 Bantam team lost 0 players to other schools. The 2010-11 Bantam team lost 3 players to other schools. The 2008-09 team will only have 2 or 3 players on varsity this year - 4 or 5 will not make varsity. This year's senior captain made varsity as a freshman, so he was not on the 2008-09 bantam team (similar to Carney). MV's record against WBL is 4-1-1 in bantams over the last two years.

1parent

Post by 1parent » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Goalie-dad, Let me say that I'm a MV fan as I once had a son that played for the Mustangs. It sounds like you have one currently going through the system. You talk about how good these kids were in bantams and how that should get them deep into sections and possible confrences titles. We are talking about a bantam team that you was was 4-26...you think a conference title is in line or going deep into sections? Your also talking about a team that lost it's goalie that played all the minutes last year. So an inexperienced goalie and a group that didn't win when they played bantams (2008-2009)....

iceguy

Post by iceguy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:30 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Carney is only a Junior. Also why is it that there is so much talk about bantams? Isn't this the high school forum? What players did 3 years ago at youth hockey will have little impact on what they will do at high school. This is HIGH SCHOOL hockey very different pace then bantams and a very different level of adjustment...which some kids make and some do not.

BlueLiner

Post by BlueLiner » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:17 pm

I agree, why all the talk about bantams? Going into the season with new leadership, how do things look for MV coming out of summer camp, etc? Will they compete in the SEC?

Goalie-Dad

Post by Goalie-Dad » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:34 am

The bantam discussion may not be entirely germane to a high school teams success. The main point is that Mounds View did not lose any of the core players to private schools. I do not know if WBL or Stillwater brought in talent from other schools. MV should be competitive in the SEC. They have a new energetic, committed new coach. They ramped up the intensity of the summer program including a tourney in Duluth against high level teams. And the fall program has been far more intensive than the last three years.

BlueLiner

Post by BlueLiner » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:09 pm

Goalie-dad, I heard that the coach dug in and was very involved with the MV youth level this Fall, looks like an attempt to try and build interest in the youg players in order to keep them in the MV system, if true hopefully it helps

Goalie-Dad

Post by Goalie-Dad » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:25 am

The coach has been heavily involved in warm-ups and early season activities with the younger teams (pee wee, squirts). He has changed the high school practice routine to add more intensive dryland/weight training and video analysis for daily practices. All new coaching staff, including a goalie coach and former professional player. MV will be a better prepared team.