louie nanne commits to gophers

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

northwoods oldtimer

Re: louie nanne commits to gophers

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:20 am

Shinbone_News wrote:
WB6162 wrote:
Another political pick for the States favorite mediocre team.
Um. You might revise -- or at least withhold -- this judgement for a few months. I'm sympathetic to your point looking back at the past five years, but this year could be different. Gophs are off to a blazing start, Rau and Bjugstad are on fire. It's actually fun to watch gopher hockey again.
No shinbone WB6162 had it right. Real contenders like Denver and the Sioux will see to that. Long live the demise of the rodents. :P :P :P

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:38 am

How many of you think getting Louie Nanne was because of his grandpa? This guy!!

How many of you think getting Louie Nanne would help them get Vinny Littieri (sp?)? This guy!!

I will gladly take both of these kids as a gopher fan...both 3-4 year hockey players, both great kids. And both come from one of the most respected men in Minnesota hockey as their grandfather.

As I have been told Vinny is a stud. So, I will take a Tony Lucia (Louie) to get a stud like Vinny.

How are the sioux doing so far? Tech sweeps Wisc. and than Wisc. sweeps the sioux. Watch out for Tech North Dakota fans :)

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:13 am

Tigers33 wrote:How many of you think getting Louie Nanne was because of his grandpa? This guy!!

How many of you think getting Louie Nanne would help them get Vinny Littieri (sp?)? This guy!!

I will gladly take both of these kids as a gopher fan...both 3-4 year hockey players, both great kids. And both come from one of the most respected men in Minnesota hockey as their grandfather.

As I have been told Vinny is a stud. So, I will take a Tony Lucia (Louie) to get a stud like Vinny.

How are the sioux doing so far? Tech sweeps Wisc. and than Wisc. sweeps the sioux. Watch out for Tech North Dakota fans :)
Your chest is all puffed up since you rolled Sacred Heart I get that.
Sioux always start slow but rest assured when it counts they are more then man enough to handle your cream puff gopher squad. YOU CAN TAKE THAT TO THE BANK!!!

Neuuman

Re: louie nanne commits to gophers

Post by Neuuman » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:09 pm

WB6162 wrote:
wblhcky24 wrote:Louie nanne has committed to the gophers per Scott hamilton
Another political pick for the States favorite mediocre team.
I think it's a little unfair to "blast" the gopher program because a player who happens to have a father and grandfather who played for the "UofM" commits to the program. All indications are that he is a fine young man and has some potential. It seems everyone posting on this blog assumes he's getting a 100% scholarship. He might be, but I doubt it. Not too many gopher recruits do. Given that his last name is "Nanne", I think it's safe to assume he can probably afford UofM tuition on something less than a full scholarship. Why not just say "congratulations" and leave it at that?

panpan111

Post by panpan111 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:20 pm

Sioux...avg age?
Sioux...How many from North Dakota?
I rest!

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:07 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Your chest is all puffed up since you rolled Sacred Heart I get that.

Sioux always start slow but rest assured when it counts they are more then man enough to handle your cream puff gopher squad. YOU CAN TAKE THAT TO THE BANK!!!
7-1 and only 2 games against SH. Also despite the W-L record the past few years the Gophers still own the overall series lead (weird the greatest program of all time is behind on that one). But yeah, you have a bank.

Here's your halo.

Vapor

Post by Vapor » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:06 am

Both those players are good recruits. You can see a change in the Gophers recruiting however, not always going after "Mr. Hockey". Both are good players and as mentioned earlier will be around campus for most likely 4 years. You can't win at that level with stud Freshman and Sophs that can't wait to leave. You need older and more experienced players along with a few younger phenoms. IMO.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:14 am

I guess the question is would you rather Lucia recruit Lou Nanne's grandkids that play HS hockey in Minnesota, or a kid from Florida that nobody's seen play?

Interesting people have ripped Lucia over signing Nanne and Lettieri, but nobody here has said boo about Guertler.

They'll all be fine. The Gophers are doing quite well this year with a pretty young team.
Be kind. Rewind.

SWPrez

Post by SWPrez » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:39 am

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't these commitment letters not worth the paper they are written on?

I have seen kids sign commitment letters only to have a new coach come in wanting their own group of recruits and totally jettisoning "prior commitments". Further, if a kid just doesn't pan out in juniors, etc. the school is going to reneg on any commitment.

So, with that said - aren't these early "commitments" more about PR moves and drawing more attention to certain players heading into the High School League play for the upcoming year? Is it PR to make alumni happy? Is it both?

Not knocking Letteri and Nanne as I have seen both play quite a bit and they are both nice players. Seems Hibbing's Johnson, whose father was a UMD hockey alum, signed a commitment earlier this year with UMD.

Seems to me that a player can also break that "commitment letter" if they decide they want to go somewhere else - they aren't locked into anything. So, I am curious, why do D1 schools waste their time issuing commitment letters to players they may not play; or may not even ultimately go to their school?

Can anyone who understands the whole commitment thing bring some clarity to these questions?

xy

Post by xy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:06 pm

You can't sign a binding committment letter - "letter of intent" is the technical NCAA term - until your senior year. Verbal commitments given by players younger that are legally meaningless in the view of the NCAA. In practice both the prospect and the school usually stick to these, but they can be broken by either party, and there are plenty of examples out there.

There is probably a PR aspect to some of these, especially if a less established program can get a top prospect, but for the most part verbal commitments are entered into by players and schools primarily for the obvious purpose of solidifying recruiting, and not PR. Circumstances, and the minds of teenagers, can change, which is why you see verbal agreements fall apart sometimes.

xy

Post by xy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:26 pm

O-townClown wrote:I guess the question is would you rather Lucia recruit Lou Nanne's grandkids that play HS hockey in Minnesota, or a kid from Florida that nobody's seen play?

Interesting people have ripped Lucia over signing Nanne and Lettieri, but nobody here has said boo about Guertler.

They'll all be fine. The Gophers are doing quite well this year with a pretty young team.

Most thinking fans just want them to recruit the best players they can get. Where they're from and who they're related to are secondary concerns (I didn't say irrelevant - even after Vanek, Potulny, Haula, etc., it still matters to a lot of people where the Gophers recruit from). Guertler could go anywhere he wants and is regarded as the best prospect of the three you mentioned, which explains the differing response.

What will bother some people in the long run is if it starts to look like there are two "classes" of recruits - those recruited solely due to ability, and those whose parents can afford to pay some or all of their tuition, thus essentially giving the team "extra" scholarships to work with. I am not saying this is what's going on, and it's wholly unfair to the kids at issue, but suffice it to say there are committed recruits in the pipeline who are from families of significant means and who will come despite receiving little or no scholarship money. Personally I don't find this worth spending any time worrying about, but I do believe that if this happens too much there will be people who think it weakens the sense that the Gophers are "Minnesota's team" and that every kid who puts on skates has an equal chance to play there someday if he's good enough. If you haven't noticed from the Occupy protests, rich people aren't that popular these days.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:40 pm

xy wrote:Circumstances, and the minds of teenagers, can change, which is why you see verbal agreements fall apart sometimes.
Unlike college football, it is pretty rare to see kids change their mind, decommit from one school and pick a different one. It does happen... but pretty rare. Probably because college hockey programs back off once a kid makes a verbal commitment to a school. Something they don't do in college football.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:10 pm

SWPrez wrote:Can anyone who understands the whole commitment thing bring some clarity to these questions?
First off, hockey isn't football. In that sport kids "commit" like elementary school boys "go with" a girl in their class. Nothing means anything until the ink is dry in that sport.

In hockey, for the most part kids honor their commitments and schools continue to welcome players they successfully recruited as underclassmen.

A binding "Letter of Intent" is only for HS seniors (and older I suppose), not underclassmen. If a scholarship is involved, it was only a one-year deal, renewable annually at the school's discretion. This may change with NCAA reform now that they are allowing multi-year scholarships.
Be kind. Rewind.

WB6162

Post by WB6162 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:10 am

O-townClown wrote:I guess the question is would you rather Lucia recruit Lou Nanne's grandkids that play HS hockey in Minnesota, or a kid from Florida that nobody's seen play?

Yeah, a team of me first players who will bail out for the NHL given any success at all.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:54 pm

Add Michael Brodzinski to the list of Gopher commits.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:26 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Your chest is all puffed up since you rolled Sacred Heart I get that.
9-1 now. I guess they still haven't played Anybody.

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:26 am

Slap Shot wrote:

Ouch!

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:39 pm

Slap Shot wrote:

BACK on the bandwagon, good for you!

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:30 pm

WB6162 wrote:

Yeah, a team of me first players who will bail out for the NHL given any success at all.
Have you watched this team play? If you have and still think they are a team of "me first players" you know even less about hockey than I do!

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:29 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

BACK on the bandwagon...
I guess in your eyes it's better to say something stupid than nothing at all. Good luck with that 1-5 start, I hope you have FDIC.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:57 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

BACK on the bandwagon...
I guess in your eyes it's better to say something stupid than nothing at all. Good luck with that 1-5 start, I hope you have FDIC.
Typical fair weather Gopher fan.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:06 pm

Hey oldtimer, some of us like our team just as much as you like yours. I say we just wait and see how it all plays out later this winter. The gophs are for real and I have little doubt the sioux will right the ship and be there at the end too.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:52 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

BACK on the bandwagon...
I've been going to games since 1973 and have discussed them elsewhere for going on a decade. Keep trying.

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:56 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

BACK on the bandwagon...
I've been going to games since 1973 and have discussed them elsewhere for going on a decade. Keep trying.
Newbie. 1970 for me. :wink:

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:42 am

C-dad wrote:Newbie. 1970 for me. :wink:
You got me beat, but barely. Season ticket holder since '72-73, Herbie's first season as coach!

(The cost of a single game ticket + parking was less than just the parking today.) :roll: