Christian Olympic jerseys.

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Christian Olympic jerseys.

Post by elliott70 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:51 am

A Minnesota father and son who won Olympic gold medals 20 years apart want the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto to return their Olympic jerseys, but the organization claims it now owns the jerseys.

Bill Christian played on the 1960 gold-winning U.S. Olympic hockey team. His son, Dave Christian of Moorhead, was part of the 1980 "Miracle on Ice" U.S. team that won Olympic gold.

Full story from AP
http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/event/art ... up/Sports/

Saywhat?03

Post by Saywhat?03 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:39 pm

Why would you not think its an honor to have your jersey displayed at the hall of fame??

SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:41 pm

If I had played on either of those teams, nobody ( I repeat - NOBODY) would have gotten their hands on that jersey ! They earned them & should have them back whenever they decide to.

On the other hand, why in the world does a Canadian museum want a jersey that says "USA" on it ?

Elliott: you guys gonna make 8AA interesting again this year ?

EHSHack

Post by EHSHack » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:48 pm

Saywhat?03 wrote:Why would you not think its an honor to have your jersey displayed at the hall of fame??
Its not the Hall of Fame, its A hall of fame. Granted its legally binding when you donate something but unless they signed papers they did not legally. Plus if these guys in Toronto werent complete PLEASE BAN ME they would give them back.
Go Hounds.

D6Rocks

Post by D6Rocks » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:48 pm

http://www.hhof.com/htmlGeneralInfo/giF ... Form.shtml

You can send the Hall of Shame your comments here. I did.

20custom

Post by 20custom » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:35 pm

I did too..and i hope everyone else does!!

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:42 pm

SPUDNUT wrote:If I had played on either of those teams, nobody ( I repeat - NOBODY) would have gotten their hands on that jersey ! They earned them & should have them back whenever they decide to.

On the other hand, why in the world does a Canadian museum want a jersey that says "USA" on it ?

Elliott: you guys gonna make 8AA interesting again this year ?
1st line will be very strong
D wsill be very strong
3 & 4 will be able to hold thier own...
2 line will have to step up...

goaltender is unproven but a good athlete...

a couple of sophs and a freshamn may help...

Hoping to be in the finals again and see what will happen.
Roso and Moorhead and Bemidji...

deacon64

Post by deacon64 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:50 pm

Join the party, let them know to do what is right. Posted the following, you can do it.

Give the Christain's their USA Olympic hockey jerseys back. Come on show some compassion.
Last edited by deacon64 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:03 pm

If the HHOF can't provide a written agreement, signed by the Christians, that indicates this is a GIFT and not a "donated loan" there should be no way they get to keep the jerseys.

While possession is important, the burden of proof has got to be on them.

The real issue is why would they want to keep contested materials on display?

Take a picture of the jerseys and put it in that spot with text that says, "the Christians' jerseys hung on display here until 2011 when they were returned to the family."

High road, guys.
Be kind. Rewind.

MnMade-4-Life

Post by MnMade-4-Life » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:24 pm

D6Rocks wrote:http://www.hhof.com/htmlGeneralInfo/giF ... Form.shtml

Thank you, your form has been received.

I am the 99%!!!
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:39 pm

I think it's awesome that the jerseys are in Toronto, but if the Christians really need them back then I suppose they should be returned..

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:41 pm

Would "Send those jerseys back to the Christians, you hosers!!" help? :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:44 pm

east hockey wrote:Would "Send those jerseys back to the Christians, you hosers!!" help? :mrgreen:

Lee
:lol:

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:25 pm

The hosers at the Hall of Fame should do what most sportsmen do these days when they catch a nice fish that they want to mount on the wall: Have a replica made. They can then send the originals back to the owners.

Good idea, eh?

defense

Post by defense » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:45 am

deacon64 wrote:Join the party, let them know to do what is right.

Give the Christain's their USA Olympic hockey jerseys back. Come on show some compassion.
I did it too, stupid canucks. A legal fight, seriously???

Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:13 am

Personally, I'd love to see these jerseys at the USA Hockey Hall in Eveleth -- on loan, of course. (Their current exhibit of Miracle stuff from Herb Brooks is pretty nifty). One could probably make the case that these jerseys are actually the property of the USOC.

And while it's a sweet sentimental idea that the Christians want to hand their jerseys down to their kids, I think they'd be better preserved for a wider circle of appreciation in a museum where they allegedly know how to slow down the ravages of time. "Name on front more important than the name on back" and all that.

How about we give them back, the Christians can loan them to Eveleth after letting the grandchildren drool all over them, then Eveleth can buy them from the Christians and set up a nice trust fund for Christian family members into perpetuity?

Or Toronto can just have replicas made. :shock:

DMom

Post by DMom » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:08 am

Thank you, your form has been received.

=D>

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:15 am

I think the HOF could "loan" the jerseys back to the Christians "in perpituity". As long as they keep passing them down the family chain, they essenially own them again. If (for some strange unforseen reason) the Christian's ever decided to sell them, the HOF could pay the family a 50% brokrage fee and get 50% for themselves. Seems like a fair compromise with no significant legal action.

Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:29 pm

Shinbone_News wrote:Personally, I'd love to see these jerseys at the USA Hockey Hall in Eveleth -- on loan, of course. (Their current exhibit of Miracle stuff from Herb Brooks is pretty nifty). One could probably make the case that these jerseys are actually the property of the USOC.

And while it's a sweet sentimental idea that the Christians want to hand their jerseys down to their kids, I think they'd be better preserved for a wider circle of appreciation in a museum where they allegedly know how to slow down the ravages of time. "Name on front more important than the name on back" and all that.

How about we give them back, the Christians can loan them to Eveleth after letting the grandchildren drool all over them, then Eveleth can buy them from the Christians and set up a nice trust fund for Christian family members into perpetuity?

Or Toronto can just have replicas made. :shock:
I get the concept, but Eveleth couldn't fund a trust, as it is enough of a burden just to keep their doors open. Yes, USA Hockey has stepped in, but I don't believe there is much in the bank beyond covering operating costs. 8)

hockey4ever

Post by hockey4ever » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:51 pm

Before everyone beats up on Canadians; the HHOF in Toronto is not there to only recognize the best in Canadian hockey.

This definition is from wikipedia - The Hockey Hall of Fame (Temple de la renommée du hockey in French) is located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Dedicated to the history of ice hockey, it is both a museum and a hall of fame. It holds exhibits about players, teams, National Hockey League (NHL) records, memorabilia and NHL trophies, including the Stanley Cup.

If you have ever been there you will know there are exhibits and artifacts from countries and players all over the world, recognizing the best players and events in the history of hockey. The miracle on ice is arguably one of the greatest hockey events ever so it should be represented in the HOF. Kind of a tough position all around. I would think the people involved would be pretty proud to know their hockey sweaters are on display where all hockey fans can enjoy.

I can see both sides point of view and I think it could set a dangerous precedent if they allowed people to remove things such as this.

Would Cooperstown allow baseball players from around the world to remove their placks or other memorabilia?

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:02 pm

hockey4ever wrote:Would Cooperstown allow baseball players from around the world to remove their placks or other memorabilia?
That obviously depends on the nature of the donation.
Be kind. Rewind.

Benito Juarez

Post by Benito Juarez » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:20 pm

Warroad Warriors. :arrow: Indian givers.

CitiesSpudsGuy

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:58 pm

D6Rocks wrote:http://www.hhof.com/htmlGeneralInfo/giF ... Form.shtml

Done. I submitted my thoughts on the matter too. Let's hope the powers that be at the HHOF come to their senses and do the right thing, but I'm not expecting that to happen.
50+ years of Spuds Hockey

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:37 am

Posted comments in full support of Toronto keeping the display.

Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:57 am

Benito Juarez wrote:Warroad Warriors. :arrow: Indian givers.
#-o