Michael Brodzinski committs to the U

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Bleed Maroon and Gold

Michael Brodzinski committs to the U

Post by Bleed Maroon and Gold » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:02 pm

Just read that Michael brodzinski committed to the U of M. I would like to say this could be one of the biggest mistakes the Gophers are making on a future recruit. I have seen him play and does not stand out as a Division 1 player. I hope he proves me wrong.

Gopher Blog

Re: Michael Brodzinski committs to the U

Post by Gopher Blog » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:06 pm

Bleed Maroon and Gold wrote:Just read that Michael brodzinski committed to the U of M. I would like to say this could be one of the biggest mistakes the Gophers are making on a future recruit. I have seen him play and does not stand out as a Division 1 player. I hope he proves me wrong.
Better send your phone number to Blais and Lucia so they can confer with you on who to offer. Not to mention the NTDP staff since they asked him to play there too. That's a lot of high quality talent evaluators that differ from your opinion. :shock:

auld_skool

Post by auld_skool » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:17 pm

Good kid, good player. Congratulations to him.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:50 pm

The Blaine factory continues....

Gophers ranked #1 in the country

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:54 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:
Bleed Maroon and Gold wrote:Just read that Michael brodzinski committed to the U of M. I would like to say this could be one of the biggest mistakes the Gophers are making on a future recruit. I have seen him play and does not stand out as a Division 1 player. I hope he proves me wrong.
Better send your phone number to Blais and Lucia so they can confer with you on who to offer. Not to mention the NTDP staff since they asked him to play there too. That's a lot of high quality talent evaluators that differ from your opinion. :shock:
Yeah, SCSU got burned on this one, and even I have to admit he's a high end talent... though I hope he sucks from this point forward. :)

However, I could argue against one statement from an unspecified post above.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Michael has a tremendous offensive upside, the question will be can they teach him to defend. I'm betting that the the "u" staff thinks they can. Congratulations Michael!

Hscout000

Post by Hscout000 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:25 pm

Michael has talent. The three issues are defense, temper seems hot headed at time, and the biggest thing is will he pass the puck. Likes to do too much and not involve teammates. We will see this year if he has grown up, and developed his team play.

54fighting

Post by 54fighting » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:27 pm

My understanding is he had his choice of a number of big time schools. I am glad he is staying home. Good Luck to him!

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:48 pm

He's got size and some ability. Why not I guess - he'll stick around for 4 years and contribute his last 2.

Lucia can't go for all tip top end talent - He's smarter than that aside from what some say. If he did, he'd have no team when they all left for the pro's after their 1st or 2nd year. Which then of course he'd have to again listen to everyone gripe about how our team sucks and how he's not doing his job...

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:46 pm

Hscout000 wrote:Michael has talent. The three issues are defense, temper seems hot headed at time, and the biggest thing is will he pass the puck. Likes to do too much and not involve teammates. We will see this year if he has grown up, and developed his team play.
I don't think it is entirely uncommon for a gifted d-man to try to do too much with the puck at this level. It can be hard to give up the puck if you are the top guys and your team heavily depends on you. You probably could have said Ben Marshall tried to do "too much" at one time too but he's learned

I don't mind a d-man with a temper. I'd rather have a guy that needs to learn tone it down a bit than to have a guy that tends to be more passive and needs to develop an attitude.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:12 pm

Not much size yet, maybe 5'10" and 180. He is young and likely to grow more hopefully.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:20 am

Gopher Blog wrote:
Hscout000 wrote:Michael has talent. The three issues are defense, temper seems hot headed at time, and the biggest thing is will he pass the puck. Likes to do too much and not involve teammates. We will see this year if he has grown up, and developed his team play.
I don't think it is entirely uncommon for a gifted d-man to try to do too much with the puck at this level. It can be hard to give up the puck if you are the top guys and your team heavily depends on you. You probably could have said Ben Marshall tried to do "too much" at one time too but he's learned

I don't mind a d-man with a temper. I'd rather have a guy that needs to learn tone it down a bit than to have a guy that tends to be more passive and needs to develop an attitude.
David Fischer comes to mind....

headsup

Post by headsup » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:09 pm

Agreed.

I want to be behind him, but all of the MN Hockey Hub / Brodzinski pub has gotten predictable and sickening. Especially after last year.

NDTP had it right - he didn't make it. Probably has upside though.

Outstanding player according to all of Dad's quotes. Also "the best 95 NHL defensive prospect"...

Gets old... let the kid prove himself instead of parents turning people off.

How's Jonny doing in Fargo?

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:45 pm

headsup wrote:NDTP had it right - he didn't make it.

He didn't get invited to the initial tryouts last March but was invited to join their program during Selects 16s this summer. But he declined the invite. So I guess by your commentary, they didn't have it right.

blueliner5

Post by blueliner5 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:06 pm

headsup wrote:
Agreed.

I want to be behind him, but all of the MN Hockey Hub / Brodzinski pub has gotten predictable and sickening. Especially after last year.

NDTP had it right - he didn't make it. Probably has upside though.

Outstanding player according to all of Dad's quotes. Also "the best 95 NHL defensive prospect"...

Gets old... let the kid prove himself instead of parents turning people off.

How's Jonny doing in Fargo?

According to the USHL stats not good

MnPride2

Post by MnPride2 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:27 pm

congrats Mikey :D

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:55 am

blueliner5 wrote:
headsup wrote:
Bleed Maroon and Gold wrote:
Always refreshing to hear a hockey dad quoted on sons ability :shock:
I am sure the kid has talent but does he have a coach or two that can give outsiders an opinion on the young man.

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:05 am

keepyourheadup wrote:Michael has a tremendous offensive upside, the question will be can they teach him to defend. I'm betting that the the "u" staff thinks they can. Congratulations Michael!
Give him to Geuntzel, and we should see better defensive play... :wink:
Watch these young Gopher D this year, that struggled mightily last year, and now are playing well in front of Patterson... yes, they are all a year older, but that did not help Fisher, Ness, Fairchild... and the rest of the D of the last 4-5 years, since Geuntzels departure from the program...

Brodzinski will become a better D under Mike Guentzel.

IMHO

muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:08 am

Good player, not suprised at all.

Just curious as to when Fasching is going to make an announcement....or might he just go the CHL route instead?

MnMade-4-Life

Post by MnMade-4-Life » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:10 am

muckandgrind wrote:Good player, not suprised at all.

Just curious as to when Fasching is going to make an announcement....or might he just go the CHL route instead?
I've got a shiny quarter in my pocket that says he commits to the Gophers. They've been on a roll lately ...
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO