8A pre-season seeding prediction

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

8A pre-season seeding prediction

Post by elliott70 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:52 pm

The teams according to the MSHSL

East Grand Forks High School
Warroad High School
Bagley/Fosston
Crookston
Detroit Lakes High School
Kittson County Central - Hallock
Lake of the Woods/Indus/Rainy River
Park Rapids-Menahga-Nevis-Walker-Hackensack-Akeley
Red Lake Falls
Thief River Falls H.S.

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:22 pm

So, with my biased opinion:

1. EGF
2. TRF
3. War
4. Crook
5. DL
6. PR
7. LOW
8. RLF
9. Kittson
10. Bag Foss

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:43 am

1. TRF
2. EGF
3. War
4. Crook
5. PR
6. DL
7. RLF
8. LOW
9. Kittson - Hallock
10. Bagley

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:17 am

elliott70 wrote:1. TRF
2. EGF
3. War
4. Crook
5. PR
6. DL
7. RLF
8. LOW
9. Kittson - Hallock
10. Bagley
Maybe TRF, but even though EGF lost Ausmus, I still think they will have enough guns to overtake TRF.

We will see with the early test in the first game at the end of this month vrs the Lumberjacks. (Hopefully they won't take out 2 or 3 of the Green Wave Players this time around)Image

grandmeadowhockeyfan

warroad

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:09 pm

you all list warroad at third or worse. think to write off warroad already.
what is warroad returning.

mn miracle man

Re: warroad

Post by mn miracle man » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:46 pm

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:you all list warroad at third or worse. think to write off warroad already.
what is warroad returning.
Well they don't have a whole lot returning but they have some new blood in there so to say. With a new coach behind the bench, Haataja, he hopes to build on past Warrior success. He does bring his son Aaron, who is a standout running back on the football team playing in the section title game tonight, so that should help a team depleted from a year ago after losing 4 of their top 6 scorers. Guys they will rely on heavily start from the goal out and will start with a 3 year starter in Andy Foster who has already played in 2 state tournaments. On defense they return a few guys with good minutes last year in seniors Hayden Timm (5G, 12A, 17P), and the newcomer junior, Aaron Haataja (10, 8, 18P) for Litchfield Dassel Cokato last winter. They also bring back Zach Johnston, a junior, who saw action in every game minus a brief 2 game stint on the DL, and a senior in Connor Pfieffer who played in about half the games as a Junior.

Up front, they lose 3 top forwards, but thats all they lost up front as many role players on the 2nd and 3rd lines will return to make up for the lost punch up front. Leading this group of guys hoping to fill the back of the net include SR Austin Streiff (11, 7, 18P), SO Kyle Sylvester (5, 10, 15P), SR Tanner Pederson (3, 9, 12P), and SR Tyler Elson (6, 5, 11P).

It will all start from the net out, and if Foster can hold his portion, which he has in the past couple seasons, and they can find the occasional scorers up front, the Warriors could once again represent the North come March.

U's 2b

Post by U's 2b » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:41 pm

Is Ausmus the only player EGF lost? Did they also lose one of their top bantam players from last year? I thought they would be the favorite this year, but if they lost two, that might be tough to overcome.

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:49 pm

U's 2b wrote:Is Ausmus the only player EGF lost? Did they also lose one of their top bantam players from last year? I thought they would be the favorite this year, but if they lost two, that might be tough to overcome.
As far As I know, just Ausmus.

AF1, can you confirm?

ivycreek

Post by ivycreek » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:36 am

I think U's 2b is referring to Loven who went to CO to play hockey.

EGF should still field a strong team.

U's 2b

Post by U's 2b » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:30 pm

Is there any team in 8A that will really be relevant when the state tournament rolls around in March? TRF looked like boys playing against men when they played St. Thomas last year. You need need to have a very solid team with solid goaltending along with at least one or two real difference-makers to have a chance to win the tournament. Does EGF or anyone else in the section have those difference-makers? I don't know.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:28 am

U's 2b wrote:Is there any team in 8A that will really be relevant when the state tournament rolls around in March? TRF looked like boys playing against men when they played St. Thomas last year. You need need to have a very solid team with solid goaltending along with at least one or two real difference-makers to have a chance to win the tournament. Does EGF or anyone else in the section have those difference-makers? I don't know.
TRF represented section 8 quite well down at St. Paul with the come from behind win over Breck. You are referring to a team that can acquire talent from all over the metro and then beat their chest winning section single A titles against single A teams. Do not fret about that sir that team has no business playing single A level hockey.

Top 3:
East Grands, TRF, Warroad

U's 2b

Post by U's 2b » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:02 pm

Northwoods Oldtimer, you're right about TRF's performance in the tourney last year, and I shouldn't have slighted them that way. Finishing third and beating the teams they beat was impressive. It's just that I never felt like there was a Section 8A team last year that was really "elite." And as impressive as their overall tournament performance was, it looked like if TRF and St. Thomas would have played ten times last year, St. Thomas would have won all ten. As unfair as the advantages are that St. Thomas has, that's the type of team you'll have to beat to win a state tournament. Is there any team in the section who looks like they might develop enough during the year to have a shot at doing that? Hermantown's a public school, and they almost pulled it off.

nipe'n

Post by nipe'n » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:55 pm

With egf returning their top three scorers (Mack, Tom. Hijchek, lawdermilt,) and let's not forget lawdermilt had 26 points in just 12 games due to injury, and losing only one or two other players from their offense they should be a team that can bury the puck. Lawdermilt can shoot like no other, anyone who's seen will agree, mack may be one of the fastest players to skate for the greenwave in recent years, and a already seasoned and proven star in Hijchek this offense will strike fear in oppenents once they start rolling. Palmoscino does a great job of giving talented sophmores who show potential time on the varsity side of the puck so the offense will have expirience throughout the lineup. Also a strong bantam class moving up will be exciting to watch, keep your eye on dixon bowen.
Defense may be the only week spot in this line up. Mero will be looked to as the leader of the d core, a couple returners who seen mixed time at the four and five spot of the defense will have to step up. Once again with some strong bantam skaters stepping up to the highschool ranks, they will be called on to fill some big rolls. Still a stronger d core than most teams in the section
Goalie- hunter aubol. Size may effect this goalie, but he still somehow comes up big, he plays multiple sports i just hope hockey didn't take the backburner this fall. interested to see how his senior season goes. Once again however you have to rank him somewhere near the top of the section.
East Grand forks is the favorite
not sure if bemidji is joining the section or not... getting mixed answers
thief and warroad round out the top

25 sheet power

Post by 25 sheet power » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:28 pm

I don't see how TRF will be in this race? Should come down to Egf and Warroad.

ivycreek

Post by ivycreek » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:49 am

http://www.kroxam.com/Sports_Feever.htm

"This is how the coaches that replied see Section 8A Boy’s Hockey with the season starting this weekend for some.

1. East Grand Forks
2. Thief River Falls
3. Warroad
4. Crookston
5. Park Rapids
6. Detroit Lakes
7. Lake of the Woods
8. Red Lake Falls
9. Kittson County Central
10. Bagley-Fosston"

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:07 am

ivycreek wrote:http://www.kroxam.com/Sports_Feever.htm

"This is how the coaches that replied see Section 8A Boy’s Hockey with the season starting this weekend for some.

1. East Grand Forks
2. Thief River Falls
3. Warroad
4. Crookston
5. Park Rapids
6. Detroit Lakes
7. Lake of the Woods
8. Red Lake Falls
9. Kittson County Central
10. Bagley-Fosston"
Huh, they are not too far off.
:lol:

The Insider

Post by The Insider » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:09 pm

1. EGF
2. TRF
3. Warroad
4. Crookston

MNHockey_6

Post by MNHockey_6 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:00 pm

25 sheet power wrote:I don't see how TRF will be in this race? Should come down to Egf and Warroad.
I don't see how they won't be? They are the defending section champs with a 3rd place in the state under their belt. Yeah they lost a lot of their depth but they are playing under a coach in Tim Bergland who I'm sure will have them ready by the end of the year. I'm not saying they will win it necessarily but I guarantee they will be in the hunt. Oh and they seemed to hold their own against a pretty good Roseau team tonight.