Florida player wants to play up north.

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

blainesword

Florida player wants to play up north.

Post by blainesword » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:52 pm

Hello. I would like to find out just what everyone thinks about sending my son to Minnesota to play a higher level of travel hockey? He has been playing for 7 years now in Fl. and he is a 96 birth year. He tells us that he wants to move and start playing where he can be seen as well as play against and with players as good and better than he is. Please send me any kind of info that would be helpful to him and me (dad) so we can start figuring out just what we are going to do this coming summer 2012.
He deserves to get to some tryouts, he has worked very hard and has talent.

Thank you very much
Blaine Sword
Florida Hockey Dad

The Exiled One

Re: Florida player wants to play up north.

Post by The Exiled One » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:13 pm

blainesword wrote:Hello. I would like to find out just what everyone thinks about sending my son to Minnesota to play a higher level of travel hockey? He has been playing for 7 years now in Fl. and he is a 96 birth year. He tells us that he wants to move and start playing where he can be seen as well as play against and with players as good and better than he is. Please send me any kind of info that would be helpful to him and me (dad) so we can start figuring out just what we are going to do this coming summer 2012.

Thank you very much
Blaine Sword
Florida Hockey Dad
It doesn't sound like you're very familiar with Minnesota hockey. We don't have much for "travel" hockey here. You and your son can move here and he can play high school hockey (public or private) or you can enroll him in a boarding school (ie. Shattuck).

blainesword

Florida Hockey

Post by blainesword » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:31 pm

Thanks for the reply. We don't know anything about how hockey works up north as far as High School and the AAA programs. From what I have been reading it sound like there are tons of different options. I would really like to find out if there are try outs for these High school teams and if you have to attend that High school? Any opinions on what you think is better or best for a well taught hockey player. Maybe when they have a tryout schedule out for the next season, or summer hockey I will be able to find it and try to get A weekend setup for him to check the place out.

Blainesword

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:16 am

You're kid was born in 1996 and has played in Florida? Last name Sword....
Be kind. Rewind.

blainesword

Post by blainesword » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:34 am

Yeah, that's my son, Zackary Sword. Do you know him?

The Exiled One

Re: Florida Hockey

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:00 am

blainesword wrote:Thanks for the reply. We don't know anything about how hockey works up north as far as High School and the AAA programs. From what I have been reading it sound like there are tons of different options. I would really like to find out if there are try outs for these High school teams and if you have to attend that High school? Any opinions on what you think is better or best for a well taught hockey player. Maybe when they have a tryout schedule out for the next season, or summer hockey I will be able to find it and try to get A weekend setup for him to check the place out.

Blainesword
Yes, for a public school, you'd have to live in the district and enroll in that school. You'll also have to enroll in that district's hockey association. This will be your cheapest route. Passing tryouts and making the varsity squad will depend on the quality of the team your kid is trying out for. There are a LOT of options here and plenty of elite level hockey.

For a private school, you can live anywhere but you have to enroll in that school. Passing tryouts, again, will depend on the quality of the team your kid is trying out for. This will be a bit more expensive. Again, plenty of elite level hockey.

For a boarding school (Shattuck), you're kid moves in, you stay in Florida. VERY expensive, VERY difficult to make the highest level. The good news is that there are plenty of levels available, so he'll most likely be able to find a roster spot on one of the teams.

Minnesota is a great option for kids who want to have a typical high school experience and still play high end hockey. If your kid doesn't care about the typical high school experience, move him to Michigan and get him into the type of AAA travel hockey you're familiar with.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:54 am

Blaine:

Hockey in Minnesota is virtually unrecognizable compared to the rest of the country. What they have isn't found anywhere else and what other areas are doing isn't happening during the Winter in Minnesota.

Kids in large/strong hockey communities dream of playing for their high school, where a good matchup often outdraws a lot of Division I college games. For the best players in Minnesota, they may supplement their season if they get an invite to the "Fall Elite League". Others leave, just like kids from Florida.

Leave for what? Generally USHL or sometimes even Major Junior in Canada. Possibly NAHL or even U18 AAA Midget.

Your son can stay where he is and play EJHL South Juniors (it isn't bad and certainly could work well for a 16-year-old), find a Prep School (fancy name for Northeastern hockey similar to strong Minnesota HS hockey), latch on to a AAA Midget or NAHL/EJHL/AJHL Junior team (probably involves a host family), or something else I'm probably leaving out.

If you are intersted in moving your family, Minnesota is a great choice. If you aren't worried about him living away and want to really pursue hockey, there probably are other places that can find a place for your son.

Good luck with it.
Be kind. Rewind.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:34 am

If he is really good and wants a great experience, come to MN.
Send him to Hill-Murray (a private Catholic school).
Public school, then Edina.

If he is really, really good and it is just about hockey, then Shattuck-St Marys (private school) in Fairbault.

Looking for a smaller community, then Duluth (East) or Moorhead.

Real small? Then Grand Rapids.

Rural? Roseau.

If you are a total hockey nut, then you need to come along.

Of course, there are dozens and dozens more good choices.

northern_guy

Post by northern_guy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:17 pm

before you sell the house and take up a new mortgage here you might wanna even just try a hockey camp some summer to see if your kid can even hang with the minnesota boys...no offense but it's slightly different competition than florida. you might be betting the farm on something non-existant. moving here doesnt make you good, you just get to play with great people.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:29 pm

if the kid is any good - I think Marvin Windows in Warroad might be hiring :)

MnMade-4-Life

Post by MnMade-4-Life » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:55 pm

Tigers33 wrote:if the kid is any good - I think Marvin Windows in Warroad might be hiring :)
awwwwwww SNAP
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO

SWPrez

Post by SWPrez » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:07 pm

I am not really sure that MN high school hockey is where you want to be.

All Minnesota high school teams are starting their tryouts...today. Games start 11/29...and they only are allowed 25 games. Playoffs are over in late February unless you make it to the Xcel Energy center for the State Tourney.

With that said and as someone alluded to earlier, you could augment those 25 games with the Elite League or T1Midget Major fall play. With the Elite League, unless you are the second coming of Wayne Gretzky, The Elite League aristocracy isn't going to let you in. Highly political for a Minny-kid to get in, an outsider just coming to the state would not get in without paying dues and proving for a year at the High School level. Minnesota Blades offers a Tier 1 fall season for 18U Midget Major - usually seniors that were overlooked by the Elite League, or chose not to play Elite League. Both of these options add approximately 20-25 games. If those options don't work, Tier III Juniors (MNJHL) is another option as many of the teams allow players to skate up until the high school season, and then allow them to play after it ends. About a half dozen MNJHL teams around the Twin Cities area.

If your kid shows up at a high school - and for argument's sake, Edina High School - comes in talent-wise around the 7th or 8th forward or lower...his hockey career is probably over. They will take a local that has been with the youth program for years and they will also take younger players to develop for the future for those spots. You would have to be confident that he is one of the top three forwards before making a move to a Top 20 AA high school program.

After seeing the level of play at the Tier 1 Midget Major level this fall, I think that would be a better option in your situation rather than playing MN high school. Shattuck is the only option in MN. 45-55 games.

I think you need to determine what your son's 'end game' is and what your wallet can afford. If it is to play juniors and college - I am not so sure that playing MN Hockey - in his current situation (coming in from FL and not getting a lot of games compared to peers playing elsewhere) - is the best path. Some may disagree with me....but I would say tryout for Victory Honda, Russell Stovers, Chicago Fire/Mission/Fury/Young Americans, etc. and attend high school there while playing a longer schedule. If the 'end game' is to enjoy the game and play 25 games in Minnesota - pick a non-top 20 AA program and you will be fine.

While I anticipate many will disagree or agree with this post, Minnesota's short high school season is not attractive for your specific situation unless you have some options for high level hockey to augment it Sept - Nov 15th and after mid to late February.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:08 pm

Tigers33 wrote:if the kid is any good - I think Marvin Windows in Warroad might be hiring :)
Disappointed it took so long for somebody to come up with that one. :lol:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:10 pm

northern_guy wrote:before you sell the house and take up a new mortgage here you might wanna even just try a hockey camp some summer to see if your kid can even hang with the minnesota boys...no offense but it's slightly different competition than florida. you might be betting the farm on something non-existant. moving here doesnt make you good, you just get to play with great people.
Northern, I was suspicious when I didn't recognize his name. He passed through the first round of Select camp tryouts last year, so he's a decent player. Not sure where he has played his youth hockey up to this point.

It is a bona fide question from a real guy. I was suspicious at first. Good players in our area have been steered the Prep School route ($40-45,000 often), so dad's probably (WISELY!) wondering if there are other good avenues.

The real problem is if you pick a list of the Top 5 teams for HS in Minnesota. They might not have a roster spot at Minnetonka or Benilde this year. It doesn't really make sense to move for JV hockey as a 10th grader, in which case he'll most likely end up playing somewhere else.

He's actually a great candidate to stay at home at least another year or two as our Junior league is turning out some NCAA Div I players. (No, they don't play here when they are 19 or 20.)
Be kind. Rewind.

blainesword

Post by blainesword » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:51 pm

Not really sure what this means but must be funny? :?
Thanks for all of the great comments and I hope this will help with our decisions coming up this next summer. Please keep posting and let me know if there are any camps or tryouts for anything for AAA level player and we will just have to see if he is good enough to keep up.

Thanks again everyone.

Mailman

Post by Mailman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:52 pm

Leave him where he is.

If he's good enough, he could be on the moon, and still get noticed. You don't have to move to Minnesota or anywhere else for that.

Beats breaking up friendships/being the odd man out, etc. by moving somewhere, especially at his age.

Let him be a kid; he'll be an adult soon enough.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:05 pm

blainesword wrote:

Thanks for all of the great comments and I hope this will help with our decisions coming up this next summer. Please keep posting and let me know if there are any camps or tryouts for anything for AAA level player and we will just have to see if he is good enough to keep up.

Thanks again everyone.
Like I mentioned at the bottom of the last post, I'd only recommend moving to MN for your kid to play HS hockey if his priority is to have a somewhat typical high school experience. Otherwise, keep him in AAA or juniors closer to home in FL.

mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:52 am

Isn't Marvins on a hiring freeze? It would be pretty suspicious to hire someone new now after cutting hours over the last couple years...although Polaris in Roseau is hiring like crazy, or perhaps Digi-key in TRF?

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:07 am

mn miracle man wrote:Isn't Marvins on a hiring freeze? It would be pretty suspicious to hire someone new now after cutting hours over the last couple years...although Polaris in Roseau is hiring like crazy, or perhaps Digi-key in TRF?
Is this some kind of PUN, Marvins on a hiring freeze. A little chilly up there?

gitter

Post by gitter » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:16 am

blainesword wrote:

Thanks again everyone.
As most have stated before, the vast majority of hockey players in the age group of sophomores to seniors play high school (MSHSL) hockey in MN. This system closely mirrors the NCAA system. You go to school in a district your parents reside in (unless you choose a private catholic school - then you go to the private school) and you play hockey for that school as a student-athlete.

A few each year opt to leave the high school system and play in the USHL (US), NAHL (US) or BCHL (Canada). This leaves them still eligible to play NCAA hockey in the future. A few also will go to Junior A (major junior) in Canada - but those kids will be ineligible for NCAA hockey - and you need to be an exceptionally good player to go this route. As some have stated before - good players can supplement their ice time by getting invited/playing in Elite League and other fall/spring leagues outside of the MSHSL season - which does not jeopardize their eligibility for MSHSL or NCAA hockey.

Side note - Marvin Windows is a business in the small northern town of Warroad, MN. The joke is that if your kid is good enough to make an impact on their high school varsity team they will offer the parents a job at Marvin Windows to relocate to Warroad.

edinahornetkid24

Re: Florida player wants to play up north.

Post by edinahornetkid24 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:08 pm

blainesword wrote:Hello. I would like to find out just what everyone thinks about sending my son to Minnesota to play a higher level of travel hockey? He has been playing for 7 years now in Fl. and he is a 96 birth year. He tells us that he wants to move and start playing where he can be seen as well as play against and with players as good and better than he is. Please send me any kind of info that would be helpful to him and me (dad) so we can start figuring out just what we are going to do this coming summer 2012.

Thank you very much
Blaine Sword
Florida Hockey Dad
Edina is a nice community with a great hockey program... :lol: